Political discussions
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: 2018 SCOTUS cases

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Once again, the guvmint screwed up. The FBI got the cell phone records without a warrant. The decision does NOT protect legitimate searches of cell phone records. The Gorsuch dissent is interesting, because he would have scrapped the two earlier Fourth Amendment cases (Smith and Miller) that are the current precedent for”legitimate expectation of privacy” standards. I think Roberts got this one right, but I’ll never forgive him for his Obamacare disaster.
Remember our arguments on warrant less wiretapping?

I like this new libertarian side of Ivy. :thumb:
I’ve evolved! :mrgreen:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote:
kalm wrote:
Remember our arguments on warrant less wiretapping?

I like this new libertarian side of Ivy. :thumb:
I’ve evolved! :mrgreen:
:notworthy:

Which is why I tolerate and even sometimes listen to you.

:mrgreen:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote:BDK, I thought you'd love this? It ends a corporate handout and Trump loves it. You love Trump. Does he know you aren't being loyal?
Ibanez wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: If you include local county and/or city sales taxes, which you have in a # of states, I believe that 45 jumps into the thousands.

I don’t see it as a corporate handout. And I know it maight come as a shock, but I dknt agree with Trump on everything. This is one of those instances.
1) I only said state taxes.
2) Maybe not a benefit but low to no tax requirement is definitely preferential treatment.
Not only do I not see it as ending a corporate handout, but the opposite. This actually benefits the big corporations with physical presences in most/every state, that were already charging sales tax. The one advantage the online mom & pops/small businesses had over the Amazons was the sales tax thingy..Now that is gone..

This will just does more to help Amazon and the like, while doing more to destroy the small guys...
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote:
Ibanez wrote:BDK, I thought you'd love this? It ends a corporate handout and Trump loves it. You love Trump. Does he know you aren't being loyal?
Ibanez wrote: 1) I only said state taxes.
2) Maybe not a benefit but low to no tax requirement is definitely preferential treatment.
Not only do I not see it as ending a corporate handout, but the opposite. This actually benefits the big corporations with physical presences in most/every state, that were already charging sales tax. The one advantage the online mom & pops/small businesses had over the Amazons was the sales tax thingy..Now that is gone..

This will just does more to help Amazon and the like, while doing more to destroy the small guys...
That’s an interesting take. It’s similar to minimum wage increases. They effect the large employers more but also crush competition.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:
Ibanez wrote: 1) I only said state taxes.

Like Kalm said, that's an interesting perspective. :coffee: I'm going to let it sink it... :thumb:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:

Like Kalm said, that's an interesting perspective. :coffee: I'm going to let it sink it... :thumb:
Nah, in this day and age I'm still in the thinking that there's an easy app or a program that will do the tax stuff for you, even the small mom & pop places. And if they are truly mom and pop places, the number of transactions they're doing over not only multiple states, but multiple municipalities, is bound to be limited and manageable. If they are in those 10,000 different tax locales then they're successful enough that they probably aren't what people think of mom and pop stores and they can afford a little extra to get the coding to make paying local taxes relatively easy. This was a problem 10-20 years ago. It's not a similar problem today.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Abbott V. Perez was settled in a 5-4 vote along ideological lines. The Voting Rights Act just got a lot weaker and the States power to re-district a lot stronger.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

The Justices deliver another ruling in support of free speech...

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poli ... fornia-law
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Col Hogan wrote:The Justices deliver another ruling in support of free speech...

Good ruling. I like what Roberts and Kennedy stated. Free speech means that sometimes one has to listen to things you do not agree with or are contrary to ones beliefs.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Col Hogan wrote:The Justices deliver another ruling in support of free speech...

Good result. Ninth Circuit reversed again! :lol:
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Public employee unions lose! No more involuntary taxes to Democrat party coffers ! :clap:
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Pwns wrote:Public employee unions lose! No more involuntary taxes to Democrat party coffers ! :clap:
5-4 again. The left will be howling.

I’ll have to read this one. I always thought that the 1977 case, Abood, was correctly decided on the agency shop point, because the Court held that agency shop fees for non-members couldn’t be used for political purposes. That took care of the free-rider problem and the First Amendment problem. Or so I thought.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Ivytalk wrote:
Pwns wrote:Public employee unions lose! No more involuntary taxes to Democrat party coffers ! :clap:
5-4 again. The left will be howling.

I’ll have to read this one. I always thought that the 1977 case, Abood, was correctly decided on the agency shop point, because the Court held that agency shop fees for non-members couldn’t be used for political purposes. That took care of the free-rider problem and the First Amendment problem. Or so I thought.
Kagan and Sotomayor lost their shit. :lol:

Sotomayor is firmly establishing her standing that she is absolutely the worst, most unqualified justice on the court. :nod:
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Baldy wrote: Sotomayor is firmly establishing her standing that she is absolutely the worst, most unqualified justice on the court. :nod:
After her hysterical dissent in the U of Texas affirmative action case last year I thought I was the only person seeing this. Glad others are seeing it now. :nod:
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Baldy wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: 5-4 again. The left will be howling.

Kagan and Sotomayor lost their shit. :lol:

Sotomayor is firmly establishing her standing that she is absolutely the worst, most unqualified justice on the court. :nod:
and yet,
Like our President Sotomayor claims to be wise and mentally stable
when in truth - like our president - all behavior is to the contrary

:nod:

What's the lesson here..?

:lol:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Chizzang wrote:
Baldy wrote: Kagan and Sotomayor lost their shit. :lol:

and yet,

:lol:
Clitzorus is firmly establishing his standing that he is slowly morphing into JSO little ventriloquist dummy. :lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: 2018 SCOTUS cases

Post by UNI88 »

Baldy wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
and yet,

Clitzorus is firmly establishing his standing that he is slowly morphing into JSO little ventriloquist dummy. Image
I disagree. JSO has firmly placed himself in the anti-Trump camp. Chiz might focus more on conks (not just Trump) but has also skewered donks.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

UNI88 wrote:
Baldy wrote: Clitzorus is firmly establishing his standing that he is slowly morphing into JSO little ventriloquist dummy. Image
I disagree. JSO has firmly placed himself in the anti-Trump camp. Chiz might focus more on conks (not just Trump) but has also skewered donks.
Chizzang just sits up there on Yuppie Olympus, drinking merlot, and mocking everyone. He thoroughly enjoys Smug Prickdom. :lol:
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

Ivytalk wrote:
UNI88 wrote:I disagree. JSO has firmly placed himself in the anti-Trump camp. Chiz might focus more on conks (not just Trump) but has also skewered donks.
Chizzang just sits up there on Yuppie Olympus, drinking merlot, and mocking everyone. He thoroughly enjoys Smug Prickdom. :lol:
What is funny is, if you sit down with him one-on-one, the smug-facade melts away and you really get to meet the real Cleats... :kisswink:
Last edited by Col Hogan on Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

Damn double post

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Col Hogan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:
What is funny is, if you sit down with him one-on-one, the smug-facade melts away and you really get to meet the real Cleats... :kisswink:
That's what I hear, Hogie. I've met you, so I trust your judgment.

But it's fun taunting him all the same! :mrgreen:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Col Hogan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:
I like fake Cleets

which probably means I wouldn't like real Cleets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris