CID and Ibanez...cracker ass crackers...

Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

CID and Ibanez...cracker ass crackers...

Post by kalm »

I’ve honestly learned a ton about southern culture from cs.com of which I’m appreciative. I no longer consider you all (YOU ALL) toothless hill folk. I found this article interesting from a historical/linguistic standpoint.
But it turns out cracker's roots go back even further than the 17th century. All the way back to the age of Shakespeare, at least.

"The meaning of the word has changed a lot over the last four centuries," said Dana Ste. Claire, a Florida historian and anthropologist who studies, er, crackers. (He literally wrote the book on them.)

Ste. Claire pointed me to King John, published sometime in the 1590s. One character refers to another as a craker — a common insult for an obnoxious bloviator.

What craker is this same that deafs our ears with this abundance of superfluous breath?

"It's a beautiful quote, but it was a character trait that was used to describe a group of Celtic immigrants — Scots-Irish people who came to the Americas who were running from political circumstances in the old world," Ste. Claire said. Those Scots-Irish folks started settling the Carolinas, and later moved deeper South and into Florida and Georgia.

But the disparaging term followed these immigrants, who were thought by local officials to be unruly and ill-mannered.

"In official documents, the governor of Florida said, 'We don't know what to do with these crackers — we tell them to settle this area and they don't; we tell them not to settle this area and they do," Ste. Claire said. "They lived off the land. They were rogues."
https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch ... n-crackers
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: CID and Ibanez...cracker ass crackers...

Post by CID1990 »

An excellent book on the Scots Irish (the old folks would git after you if you said Scots Irish... they said it implied we are part Irish. The preferred term was "Ulster Scots") is called "Born Fighting: How the Scots Irish Shaped America" by James Webb, the former VA senator.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

kalm wrote:I’ve honestly learned a ton about southern culture from cs.com of which I’m appreciative. I no longer consider you all (YOU ALL) toothless hill folk.
I too am appreciative but DO still consider them "toothless hill folk"

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:I’ve honestly learned a ton about southern culture from cs.com of which I’m appreciative. I no longer consider you all (YOU ALL) toothless hill folk.
Then they've successfully fooled you. They are.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote:An excellent book on the Scots Irish (the old folks would git after you if you said Scots Irish... they said it implied we are part Irish. The preferred term was "Ulster Scots") is called "Born Fighting: How the Scots Irish Shaped America" by James Webb, the former VA senator.
:thumb: That is an excellent book. ANother is How the Scots Invented the Modern World: The True Story of How Western Europe's Poorest Nation Created Our World & Everything in It (or The Scottish Enlightenment: The Scots invention of the Modern World) by Arthur Herman. The chapters on philosophy and education were shocking to me - I had never realized how me we owed to the Scots.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:
Wait...false teeth don't count??
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote:I’ve honestly learned a ton about southern culture from cs.com of which I’m appreciative. I no longer consider you all (YOU ALL) toothless hill folk. I found this article interesting from a historical/linguistic standpoint.
But it turns out cracker's roots go back even further than the 17th century. All the way back to the age of Shakespeare, at least.

"The meaning of the word has changed a lot over the last four centuries," said Dana Ste. Claire, a Florida historian and anthropologist who studies, er, crackers. (He literally wrote the book on them.)

Ste. Claire pointed me to King John, published sometime in the 1590s. One character refers to another as a craker — a common insult for an obnoxious bloviator.

What craker is this same that deafs our ears with this abundance of superfluous breath?

"It's a beautiful quote, but it was a character trait that was used to describe a group of Celtic immigrants — Scots-Irish people who came to the Americas who were running from political circumstances in the old world," Ste. Claire said. Those Scots-Irish folks started settling the Carolinas, and later moved deeper South and into Florida and Georgia.

But the disparaging term followed these immigrants, who were thought by local officials to be unruly and ill-mannered.

"In official documents, the governor of Florida said, 'We don't know what to do with these crackers — we tell them to settle this area and they don't; we tell them not to settle this area and they do," Ste. Claire said. "They lived off the land. They were rogues."
https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch ... n-crackers
Grandpa Cook always called us "crackers". :lol:
Spoiler: show
Speaking in linguistics, I love the "history" surrounding accents. My mind was blown when I learned that we sound more like Shakespeare did then anyone living in England today.
Good article, kalm.
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

89Hen wrote:
Says the guy with a chicken as an avatar. :ohno:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

That's "Y'all."
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Ibanez wrote:
CID1990 wrote:An excellent book on the Scots Irish (the old folks would git after you if you said Scots Irish... they said it implied we are part Irish. The preferred term was "Ulster Scots") is called "Born Fighting: How the Scots Irish Shaped America" by James Webb, the former VA senator.
:thumb: That is an excellent book. ANother is How the Scots Invented the Modern World: The True Story of How Western Europe's Poorest Nation Created Our World & Everything in It (or The Scottish Enlightenment: The Scots invention of the Modern World) by Arthur Herman. The chapters on philosophy and education were shocking to me - I had never realized how me we owed to the Scots.
And, to piggyback off what's been posted - yall might be interested in Albion's Seed by David Hackett Fischer. Looks at four distinct groups of British immigrants settling in the US and the distinct cultures they formed that shaped the early US (and remnants of which still exist). Accounts for a lot of US strife through the years - descendants of landed gentry from the south of England vs. New England descendants of Puritans, for example.

Pretty fascinating book and the Scots Irish are obviously one of the groups looked at.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:
Yeah if people were forced to stop culturally appropriating us they’d have to live in grass huts and walk from place to place

(A Scot invented the pneumatic tire)
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote:
Ibanez wrote: :thumb: That is an excellent book. ANother is How the Scots Invented the Modern World: The True Story of How Western Europe's Poorest Nation Created Our World & Everything in It (or The Scottish Enlightenment: The Scots invention of the Modern World) by Arthur Herman. The chapters on philosophy and education were shocking to me - I had never realized how me we owed to the Scots.
Yeah if people were forced to stop culturally appropriating us they’d have to live in grass huts and walk from place to place

Right? Bastard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Right? Bastard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He was from Stonehaven... I’ve been to his house... totally by accident... I never meant to be on the higher east coast of Scotland

One must get shots prior to doing that... it really is like central Africa there
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
Ibanez wrote: :thumb: That is an excellent book. ANother is How the Scots Invented the Modern World: The True Story of How Western Europe's Poorest Nation Created Our World & Everything in It (or The Scottish Enlightenment: The Scots invention of the Modern World) by Arthur Herman. The chapters on philosophy and education were shocking to me - I had never realized how me we owed to the Scots.
And, to piggyback off what's been posted - yall might be interested in Albion's Seed by David Hackett Fischer. Looks at four distinct groups of British immigrants settling in the US and the distinct cultures they formed that shaped the early US (and remnants of which still exist). Accounts for a lot of US strife through the years - descendants of landed gentry from the south of England vs. New England descendants of Puritans, for example.

Pretty fascinating book and the Scots Irish are obviously one of the groups looked at.
Yet another interesting book about early Appalachia is Our Southern Highlanders by Horace Kephart.

In a land with no roads moonshine is the only profitable way to transport corn.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky