Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: Arlington National Cemetery

Post by CID1990 »

dbackjon wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
You may well be- but be wary of both the DNA projects (they cant place you in specific clans) and be especially wary of these clan yahoos - the North American Clan Gunn Society and the DNA folks all want your money... some will take more than others

DNA is going to show a number of things, all of which WAY predate the medieval Scottish clan system. Plus, there is going to be all kinds of background noise from the DNA of your other ancestors.

Clan Gunn is a unique clan... it was the product of old Pictish tribes in the Caithness area that interbred with Viking raiders - the name Gunn is actually from the Norse "Gunnar"

If you went back and took the DNA of an actual chieftain of the clan in its heyday, you would find an admixture of Scandinavian and old OLD Breton. The problem is that you'll find that mixture all over the UK, not just in Clan Gunn. It is very prevalent there.

The most reliable way to trace clan ancestry is to actually delve into your family tree and ignore the DNA stuff. It is a distraction and these DNA companies make some very spurious claims to get your money. It is also more interesting because you discover real, actual people that can take you off in all kinds of genealogical directions.

But anybody who tells you a DNA test places you squarely in this clan or that clan is full of it.

BTW- many Gunns in the US trace their lineage to Thomas Gunn I. He was in the Petersburg VA area around the late 1600s early 1700s. His grandson, Starling, was a fusilier in the Continental Army under Nathaniel Greene and witnessed the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. I'm directly descended from him. If you can find one link to the US Gunns in your family tree, there are even odds you share this history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know. We can directly trace back to John Mann, born in Ulster in 1747, with a probable link to other Manns (records are a little sketchy before him) born in the Caithness area of Scotland. John Mann emigrated to Pennsylvania in the 1760's and was a PVT. & Fifer in Capt. Wilson Company in the Pennsylvania Continental Line.
If you can trace a Mann to Caithness then you've got a probable.

The problem with Clan Gunn and its associated septs is the Gunns ceased to be a landed clan in the mid-1600s after their feud with the Keiths. Gunns pretty much fanned out after that, and you can find them all over the world in short order in the 1600s, usually working in the service of other royalties or governments as mercenaries. A few of them were known to have immigrated to the Netherlands as soldiers.

The Ulster Plantation was almost exclusively lowland Scots, and many people will tell you that the Gunns were a highland clan - but the demise of the Gunns as a landed clan coincided with the establishment of the plantation in Ulster, so it makes total sense that some of them would have gone there looking for a livelihood.

We don't have anything definitive, but it is supposed that Thomas Gunn I came to VA from England, rather than Ulster. Pretty much everyone else in my family came from Ulster, though.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

I can trace my family back to the Port of Boston in 1907...then back to the Azores...gets a little iffy after that...

:mrgreen:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

CID1990 wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Good to know. We can directly trace back to John Mann, born in Ulster in 1747, with a probable link to other Manns (records are a little sketchy before him) born in the Caithness area of Scotland. John Mann emigrated to Pennsylvania in the 1760's and was a PVT. & Fifer in Capt. Wilson Company in the Pennsylvania Continental Line.

The problem with Clan Gunn and its associated septs is the Gunns ceased to be a landed clan in the mid-1600s after their feud with the Keiths. Gunns pretty much fanned out after that, and you can find them all over the world in short order in the 1600s, usually working in the service of other royalties or governments as mercenaries. A few of them were known to have immigrated to the Netherlands as soldiers.

The Ulster Plantation was almost exclusively lowland Scots, and many people will tell you that the Gunns were a highland clan - but the demise of the Gunns as a landed clan coincided with the establishment of the plantation in Ulster, so it makes total sense that some of them would have gone there looking for a livelihood.

We don't have anything definitive, but it is supposed that Thomas Gunn I came to VA from England, rather than Ulster. Pretty much everyone else in my family came from Ulster, though.

The link that we are probable about (but can't find paper on it is between John Mann (born 1747 in Ulster) and Nathan Mann, born in the Caithness area, died in 1640 , buried in Ballypriormore Cemetary, Islandmagee Larne, Atrim County near Belfast.
:thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

The link that we are probable about (but can't find paper on it is between John Mann (born 1747 in Ulster) and Nathan Mann, born in the Caithness area, died in 1640 , buried in Ballypriormore Cemetary, Islandmagee Larne, Atrim County near Belfast.
Wow. Caithness is way up there. We're a lowlands border family.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:
According to my Ancestry.com results:
“....Africa South-Central Hunter-Gatherers <1%
Primarily located in: South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Congo.....”
It went over your head.
Spoiler: show
It's like the blacks in Charleston named Rutledge, Middleton, Rivers, etc... after the slave holding families.
Yeah it did when I 1st read it because my 1st reaction was you were trying to jerk my chain..

On second reading, even without the spoil, I see what you meant.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Wow. Caithness is way up there. We're a lowlands border family.
Once you get up there, the people start being more Pictish/Norse than Scot. (And the Scots are Irish....)
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Hah, all you eastern Brit-loving/submitting faggots. My peeps came from Cork before the french fry shortage. They were smart.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

93henfan wrote:Hah, all you eastern Brit-loving/submitting faggots. My peeps came from Cork before the french fry shortage. They were smart.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Those are the geniuses we left back to adopt the Euro.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Wow. Caithness is way up there. We're a lowlands border family.
Once you get up there, the people start being more Pictish/Norse than Scot. (And the Scots are Irish....)
Yes, I know.

houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Some of my ancestors were from Clan Cumming which was descended from Clan Breathing Hard.

Came over with Will the Conqueror and were a powerful clan until the Red Comyn was treacherously murdered by Robert the Bruce while talking politics in church.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

houndawg wrote:Some of my ancestors were from Clan Cumming which was descended from Clan Breathing Hard.

Came over with Will the Conqueror and were a powerful clan until the Red Comyn was treacherously murdered by Robert the Bruce while talking politics in church.
:lol:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Yes, I know.

You know what?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Yes, I know.

You know what?
Your post. What you said about Picts, scots, Ireland, etc.
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

They had a thing last night on local new where 3 of the personalities did 23 and me, ancestry.com, and one other DNA test service and compared results. They were all over the place and there was quite a difference between the services.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

css75 wrote:They had a thing last night on local new where 3 of the personalities did 23 and me, ancestry.com, and one other DNA test service and compared results. They were all over the place and there was quite a difference between the services.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The kids got me "23 and Me" for xmas, its general enough to be nearly useless.

WTF is "broadly northwest European" that isn't covered by French-German(40%), British Isles(30%), and Scandinavian (3%)?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky