Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Megrant Caravan

Post by dbackjon »

Ibanez wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Yes, Hispanic immigrants assimilate faster now than any group in the history of the country!
Have they? Is that anecdotal or do you have factual information to base that on?

I'm not saying you're wrong - I'm interested in your sources. :thumb:

Hold please - looking up sources. Although I do have one correction - Filipinos have the highest assimilation rate.
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Migrant Caravan

Post by dbackjon »

CAA Flagship wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Yes, Hispanic immigrants assimilate faster now than any group in the history of the country!
That's because we are meeting them halfway.
"Para espanol, numero dos." :ohno:
Interesting article on that theme...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/ ... 23862.html
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Megrant Caravan

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote:
Ibanez wrote:
Have they? Is that anecdotal or do you have factual information to base that on?

I'm not saying you're wrong - I'm interested in your sources. :thumb:

Hold please - looking up sources. Although I do have one correction - Filipinos have the highest assimilation rate.
Then you're talking about language acquisition. Yes, I'm willing to bet US Sovereignty over the Philippines has helped that. IIRC, it's easier to learn English when you have a background in the Romantic languages such as Italian and Spanish. So that has certainly been to their benefit.

I'm sure 2nd, 3rd Generation Irish, Italian, Hispanics have assimilated and learned the language. I think the sticking point with many is the attempts of the 1st Generation to being assimilating into the culture of their new country.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

I read an article from Pew Research that i'm sure is either referenced in one of those articles OR backs them up.

I haven't read these yet. :thumb:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote:
I read an article from Pew Research that i'm sure is either referenced in one of those articles OR backs them up.

My anecdotal take is that article seems false within a 3 second perusal. I'm second generation American and I, nor my siblings, nor my cousins, speak a lick of German or Ukrainian. I take that back, we know how to pronounce foods that our grandmothers made. But I honestly can't think of a second generation Hispanic that I've met that didn't speak pretty fluent Spanish. Could be that it's just more common in schools to take Spanish, but I'm pretty sure most of them learned it at home.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:
Ibanez wrote: I read an article from Pew Research that i'm sure is either referenced in one of those articles OR backs them up.

My anecdotal take is that article seems false within a 3 second perusal. I'm second generation American and I, nor my siblings, nor my cousins, speak a lick of German or Ukrainian. I take that back, we know how to pronounce foods that our grandmothers made. But I honestly can't think of a second generation Hispanic that I've met that didn't speak pretty fluent Spanish. Could be that it's just more common in schools to take Spanish, but I'm pretty sure most of them learned it at home.
Anecdotal take is rough. My MIL is 1st generation American and they were forced to speak only English in the house. She learned German in high school and college. Speaking German was verboten.

If you read the articles (and I read a few earlier) 2nd Generation tend to be more bi-lingual. It's 3rd Generation and on that become more monolingual.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

I sympathize with anyone trying to learn English. It's friggin' hard, even before you are introduced to slang. :lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote:I sympathize with anyone trying to learn English. It's friggin' hard, even before you are introduced to slang. :lol:
This. Honestly. English is a difficult language. Our use of homophones, idioms and colloquialisms make it tough for native speakers to sometime understand one another.

https://www.oxford-royale.co.uk/article ... -hard.html
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ibanez wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:I sympathize with anyone trying to learn English. It's friggin' hard, even before you are introduced to slang. :lol:
This. Honestly. English is a difficult language. Our use of homophones, idioms and colloquialisms make it tough for native speakers to sometime understand one another.

Also, our weights and measures compared to the metric system. :ohno:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Ibanez wrote: This. Honestly. English is a difficult language. Our use of homophones, idioms and colloquialisms make it tough for native speakers to sometime understand one another.

True. Perhaps one can learn while they drive on a parkway or take a bus to their job where they bus tables.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote:
89Hen wrote: My anecdotal take is that article seems false within a 3 second perusal. I'm second generation American and I, nor my siblings, nor my cousins, speak a lick of German or Ukrainian. I take that back, we know how to pronounce foods that our grandmothers made. But I honestly can't think of a second generation Hispanic that I've met that didn't speak pretty fluent Spanish. Could be that it's just more common in schools to take Spanish, but I'm pretty sure most of them learned it at home.
Anecdotal take is rough. My MIL is 1st generation American and they were forced to speak only English in the house. She learned German in high school and college. Speaking German was verboten.

If you read the articles (and I read a few earlier) 2nd Generation tend to be more bi-lingual. It's 3rd Generation and on that become more monolingual.
I only got as far as the notion that grandparents and grandkids wouldn't be able to speak to each other. I couldn't in the 70's but all my kids friends who have Hispanic grandparents ALL speak Spanish to each other. :nod:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

:nod: I can pronounce every single Spanish word with no problem, even if I don't know what they mean.

Sledgehammer aside, Gallagher was actually a very witty comedian. Always loved this bit...

phpBB [video]
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Anecdotal take is rough. My MIL is 1st generation American and they were forced to speak only English in the house. She learned German in high school and college. Speaking German was verboten.

I only got as far as the notion that grandparents and grandkids wouldn't be able to speak to each other. I couldn't in the 70's but all my kids friends who have Hispanic grandparents ALL speak Spanish to each other. :nod:
I think it also depends on the family. My paternal grandmother was 1st Generation American but her parents spoke fluent English and French. She grew up speaking both languages. So they assimilated quicker than others.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote:
89Hen wrote: I only got as far as the notion that grandparents and grandkids wouldn't be able to speak to each other. I couldn't in the 70's but all my kids friends who have Hispanic grandparents ALL speak Spanish to each other. :nod:
I think it also depends on the family. My paternal grandmother was 1st Generation American but her parents spoke fluent English and French. She grew up speaking both languages. So they assimilated quicker than others.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

css75 wrote:
Ibanez wrote:
Let's think about it. Take race out of it for a second and look at the immigration waves in their rightful context. You can't compare them. Take a look at assimilation. It isn't purely the skin color that led 18th/19th Century immigrants to better assimilate. Assimilation doesn't mean you abandon your heritage. But it does mean that you learn the language of your adopted country, understand and respect it's culture, customs and laws. Join in on the activities. But don't forget where you came from. The Irish, Italians and Germans (to name a few) figured it out. :twocents:

I've been accused of being to simplistic in historical analysis. I guess I should post long diatribes like JSO.

Please don’t, one JSO is more than enough.
Ibanez's at least make sense....... :? :D

Back on topic. At least in my own family I happen to agree with his premise mentioned above. They wanted to be apart of something and chose to try to assimilate. My grandparents could speak German, but the kids (my parents) were not allowed to, not even in the home. The reasoning behind that I was told is they are now in America and Americans. Not Germans. They kept all the food/family traditions but not the language or some of the cultural traditions.

The little bit I have read on the different immigration periods (and observed ) it seems like that the earlier ones, people were wiling to keep certain traditions but loose others in order to benefit the whole. The later immigrations seem to want to remain distinctive and separate, rather than try to assimilate. :twocents:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote:
css75 wrote:

Please don’t, one JSO is more than enough.
Ibanez's at least make sense....... :? :D

Back on topic. At least in my own family I happen to agree with his premise mentioned above. They wanted to be apart of something and chose to try to assimilate. My grandparents could speak German, but the kids (my parents) were not allowed to, not even in the home. The reasoning behind that I was told is they are now in America and Americans. Not Germans. They kept all the food/family traditions but not the language or some of the cultural traditions.

The little bit I have read on the different immigration periods (and observed ) it seems like that the earlier ones, people were wiling to keep certain traditions but loose others in order to benefit the whole. The later immigrations seem to want to remain distinctive and separate, rather than try to assimilate. :twocents:
That's called acculturation.

The Melting Pot has become the Salad Bowl. ;)
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: The Melting Pot has become the Salad Bowl. ;)
Extra bacon and hold the croutons.......
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

89Hen wrote:
Ibanez wrote: I read an article from Pew Research that i'm sure is either referenced in one of those articles OR backs them up.

100 years ago there were still German language newspapers, schools, etc.

I think the linked article (or another one I read) talks about the LACK of Spanish knowledge by 2nd Generation immigrants.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote:
89Hen wrote: My anecdotal take is that article seems false within a 3 second perusal. I'm second generation American and I, nor my siblings, nor my cousins, speak a lick of German or Ukrainian. I take that back, we know how to pronounce foods that our grandmothers made. But I honestly can't think of a second generation Hispanic that I've met that didn't speak pretty fluent Spanish. Could be that it's just more common in schools to take Spanish, but I'm pretty sure most of them learned it at home.

I think the linked article (or another one I read) talks about the LACK of Spanish knowledge by 2nd Generation immigrants.
It was the 2nd link that referred to Pew Research (which I read before you responded. You should look it up. It goes into more depth.)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

dbackjon wrote:

:? If I walked around my shopping center right now I can pick up Greek, Chinese, Korean, Hebrew, Spanish... newspapers, magazines, real estate books, etc..

And that they were talking about the lack of Spanish knowledge is exactly what I'm disputing. From my little corner of the world, I see a LOT more second and third generations speaking other languages today than I saw from my generation.

I do realize that I live in a VERY diverse part of the country. If you walk on the C&O Canal towpath, you are more likely to hear German, Russian, Swedish and Japanese than any other language including English. :nod:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

89Hen wrote:I do realize that I live in a VERY diverse part of the country. If you walk on the C&O Canal towpath, you are more likely to hear German, Russian, Swedish and Japanese than any other language including English. :nod:
BTW, 90% of the Japanese visitors to the towpath bring their 90 year old grandmother in a dress and dress shoes and have them hike the "billy goat trail". I think they're trying to kill them off. Not joking.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

I sympathize with anyone trying to learn German (or Spanish for that matter). They have the formal/informal & masculine/neutral/feminine. For example in German there's about a 1/2 doz ways to say "the" and at least 8 different ways to say "you". And the sentence structure is different. And there's lots of rules...
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Ibanez wrote: This. Honestly. English is a difficult language. Our use of homophones, idioms and colloquialisms make it tough for native speakers to sometime understand one another.

yeah? well theres 2 kinds of countries-

those that use the metric system and those that have been to the moon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

CID1990 wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Also, our weights and measures compared to the metric system. :ohno:
yeah? well theres 2 kinds of countries-

those that use the metric system and those that have been to the moon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:lol: :lol:
I'm not advocating changing to metric, I'm just saying that I wouldn't want to have to learn it after the age of 10. :mrgreen: