Political discussions
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: Migrant Caravan

Post by JohnStOnge »

Posting this here because it's the first illegal immigration thread I came to. Today while driving I heard a NPR discussion of illegal immigration and crime and heard about this CATO Institute study:

https://www.cato.org/publications/immig ... -immigrant

This is the first one I'd personally heard of where there was an actual effort to look directly at the crime rate among illegal immigrants. The only question I have about it has to do with sourcing on the estimate of the number of illegal immigrants in Texas. I could not find it in order to see whether or not I thought there were any problems with it.

Anyway the results are consistent with what I've heard advocates for illegal immigrants say before. I've been skeptical of what I've heard in terms of previous studies I looked at because when I looked up the details there were problems. And I was skeptical of the idea that illegal immigrants coming across the southern border are characterized by a lower crime rate than US citizens are. But this study makes me have to reconsider. Not saying I might not see something else later to reinforce my previous belief tendency. But this study does give me pause.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:Posting this here because it's the first illegal immigration thread I came to. Today while driving I heard a NPR discussion of illegal immigration and crime and heard about this CATO Institute study:

https://www.cato.org/publications/immig ... -immigrant

This is the first one I'd personally heard of where there was an actual effort to look directly at the crime rate among illegal immigrants. The only question I have about it has to do with sourcing on the estimate of the number of illegal immigrants in Texas. I could not find it in order to see whether or not I thought there were any problems with it.

Anyway the results are consistent with what I've heard advocates for illegal immigrants say before. I've been skeptical of what I've heard in terms of previous studies I looked at because when I looked up the details there were problems. And I was skeptical of the idea that illegal immigrants coming across the southern border are characterized by a lower crime rate than US citizens are. But this study makes me have to reconsider. Not saying I might not see something else later to reinforce my previous belief tendency. But this study does give me pause.
I've never subscribed to the immigrant criminality thing because my own personal experiences tell me it isn't true (and although anecdotal evidence is a primary source of bias, I actually work in a field where I encounter nothing but immigrants, illegal or otherwise)

My opposition to uncontrolled illegal immigration is based in the fact that our immigration system is primarily based on family reunification rather than merit. In other words, if there was ZERO illegal immigration, our legal immigration system would still bring in mostly unskilled immigrants, most of whom require need-based public assistance from day one.

However, there are legal annual quotas on these immigrants- so if every immigrant comes in legally, the system can absorb and support them.

Add in illegal immigrants and you start to burden these systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Ivytalk wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:Migrant 'caravan' that angers Trump nears U.S.-Mexico border

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... op+News%29
Only let in the ones with good soccer skills. The US national team is ****.
USA, Italy, Netherlands..... :ohno:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

houndawg wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Only let in the ones with good soccer skills. The US national team is ****.
One of these things is not like the others. :coffee:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote:
houndawg wrote:
One of these things is not like the others. :coffee:
Shitty pizza in the Netherlands. :nod:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote:
89Hen wrote: One of these things is not like the others. :coffee:
Shitty pizza in the Netherlands. :nod:
I don't know...I had some pretty shitty pizza in Naples, Italy.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Shitty pizza in the Netherlands. :nod:
I don't know...I had some pretty shitty pizza in Naples, Italy.
Is it true that Europe did not have tomatoes until they started coming over to North America? So pizza is really an American thing?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:
Ibanez wrote: I don't know...I had some pretty shitty pizza in Naples, Italy.
Is it true that Europe did not have tomatoes until they started coming over to North America? So pizza is really an American thing?
I think that sounds right. I know they originated in South America.

I know people thought tomatoes were poisonous and wouldn't eat them.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote:
Ibanez wrote: I don't know...I had some pretty shitty pizza in Naples, Italy.
Italy started getting tomatoes in the 1500's. I don't give a shit what the dishes were prior to that. Hell, I don't even care what was eaten in the 1800's. Whatever it was, I don't think it translates well to today anyway.
I'm having a hard time wondering what we did before Doritos? :lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/migran ... nal-rights

So...these immigrants, who aren't in the US are going to sue over a violation of constitutional rights? WTF? How does that work?
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Ibanez wrote:https://www.foxnews.com/politics/migran ... nal-rights

So...these immigrants, who aren't in the US are going to sue over a violation of constitutional rights? WTF? How does that work?
They hired sleazebag Michael Avennati.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote:
89Hen wrote: Is it true that Europe did not have tomatoes until they started coming over to North America? So pizza is really an American thing?
I think that sounds right. I know they originated in South America.

I thought it was Catholic priests who brought them back from China?

I remember an elementary school story that there was an assasination attempt on George Washington using tomatoes as poison.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote:
Ibanez wrote: I think that sounds right. I know they originated in South America.

I remember an elementary school story that there was an assasination attempt on George Washington using tomatoes as poison.
Yeah..that didn't happen. Tomatoes were seen as poisonous (they aren't, but the plant, stems, leaves can be).
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote:
Ibanez wrote:https://www.foxnews.com/politics/migran ... nal-rights

They hired sleazebag Michael Avennati.
Prolly right....
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote:
Ibanez wrote: I think that sounds right. I know they originated in South America.

Here let me Google it for you guys. :facepalm: :ohno:
The exact origin of Tomato plant is not known, although it is speculated that it evolved from the prehistoric plant Nighshade over millions of years ago in South America (together with potato, tobacco and chili peppers) and slowly moved to north until it was domesticated in the lands of Mesoamerica between Mexico and northern Costa Rica. This land was a home of several advanced Pre-Columbian society who flourished there until arrival of Europeans in the Age of Discovery. During 500 BC, one of those cultures managed to domesticate tomato and integrate it into their cuisine. That culture was Aztecs. From that point on, tomato slowly spread across the central and South America, somewhere being used as a food, but somewhere also being used as a hallucinogenic (a use that will later on be a cause of many misconceptions about this vegetable).

The first European contact with tomato came with Christopher Columbus who possibly encountered it in 1493, but it was Spanish conquistador Hernán Cortés who first saw the potential of this plant in the sacked city of Aztec city of Tenochtítlan and took its seeds back to Europe. There, seeing that tomato could grow without a problem in a warm Mediterranean climate, Spanish government started encouraging its production in both Europe and its distant colonies. As early as 1540s tomato started being produced in Spanish fields, and was used regularly as a common food in early 17th century. Other European countries did not adopt tomato immediately. For example, even though Italian nobility and scientists found out about tomato from 1548, (which is now famous for their tomato and ketchup industry), they used it only as a tabletop decoration fruit until late 17th and early 18th century. They cherished their beauty, and experimented with selective breeding, managing to create tomatoes of many colors and shapes. Tomato received similar fate in England, where it was introduced in 1597, but it remained viewed as unhealthy, poisonous and unfit to eat in both England and its North American colonies. That changed in mid-18th century after many advances in selective breeding from Spain and Italy.
http://www.vegetablefacts.net/vegetable ... -tomatoes/

TL;DR The conquistador's had it right, pillage then burn. :nod:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

I didn't see Fox News at the border today. Does anyone know when the 15K troops are being sent there to protect us?
Go Black Bears!
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

mainejeff wrote:I didn't see Fox News at the border today. Does anyone know when the 15K troops are being sent there to protect us?
Since they still have some time, they stopped off at Beto's headquarters to help him pack up.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote:
mainejeff wrote:I didn't see Fox News at the border today. Does anyone know when the 15K troops are being sent there to protect us?
Since they still have some time, they stopped off at Beto's headquarters to help him pack up.
Exactly. We won Texas. We can stand down with that troops-to-the-border charade now. :lol:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

93henfan wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Since they still have some time, they stopped off at Beto's headquarters to help him pack up.
Exactly. We won Texas. We can stand down with that troops-to-the-border charade now. :lol:
:thumb:

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

I actually kinda feel bad that Texans have to deal with 6 more years of Greyson Allen's Cuban Canadian father. That right there is punishment enough for not voting D.
Go Black Bears!
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

mainejeff wrote:I actually kinda feel bad that Texans have to deal with 6 more years of Greyson Allen's Cuban Canadian father. That right there is punishment enough for not voting D.
Exactly. And Beto proved to be more unpopular. :shock:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

mainejeff wrote:I actually kinda feel bad that Texans have to deal with 6 more years of Greyson Allen's Cuban Canadian father. That right there is punishment enough for not voting D.
That little shoulder shrug and baby smile that Cruz does in the middle of the sentence when anyone is asking him a question makes me want to slap his face off. I wish he could go to Parris Island for just one week.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

93henfan wrote:
Ibanez wrote: I'm all for giving immigrants a chance.

However, respect our laws and come here properly.
I must be the outlier. Am I the only one for rounding them all up and shooting them in the head?
No

"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

andy7171 wrote:
93henfan wrote:
I must be the outlier. Am I the only one for rounding them all up and shooting them in the head?
No

Holy shit! I said that?
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Wow, the Migrant Caravan has disappeared from the news - Russians went home?
:thumb: