4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Migrant Caravan

Post by CAA Flagship »

Migrant caravan heading to U.S. border

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... op+News%29
IXTEPEC, Mexico/EDINBURG, Texas (Reuters) - In some of the Mexican towns playing host to a “caravan” of more than 1,200 Central American migrants heading to the U.S. border, the welcome mat has been rolled out despite President Donald Trump’s call for Mexican authorities to stop them.

At some point this spring, the caravan’s 2,000-mile (3,200-km) journey that began at Tapachula near the Guatemalan border on March 25 will end at the U.S. border, where some of its members will apply for asylum, while others will attempt to sneak into the United States.
Last edited by CAA Flagship on Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Megrant Caravan

Post by kalm »

If only we'd had the leadership to kick the itai's back on the ship at the turn of the last century. :coffee:
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

kalm wrote:If only we'd had the leadership to kick the itai's back on the ship at the turn of the last century. :coffee:
Say who??
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote:If only we'd had the leadership to kick the itai's back on the ship at the turn of the last century. :coffee:
:tothehand: Pizza Hater
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

I assume you mean in 1900? Those Italians (on the whole) weren't violating US Immigration law in 1900. Up until then, you could come in as long as you weren't illiterate, crazy, a criminal, unable to care for yourself, etc... Quota's didn't come around until the 1921/24. The main migration of Italians was in the 1880s and 1890s.

Also - the economy of the 1800s/early 1900s allowed an immigrant to arrive and get a job easily and alongside citizens. The migrant workers today can't come in and get a job on the police force or easily open a deli. They have to work under the radar in labor intensive jobs that will surely under pay them.

Comparing mid-late 20th Century/21st Centruy Immigrants/Immigration to 18th/19th and early 20th Century immigrants/immigration is intellectually dishonest. There are way too many variables and matters to take into account to try and wquate them.

One is pre-Immigration law, Agricultural/Industrial economy vs post-Immigration laws, Post-9/11 and Digital economy.

That's my :twocents:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote:
I assume you mean in 1900? Those Italians (on the whole) weren't violating US Immigration law in 1900. Up until then, you could come in as long as you weren't illiterate, crazy, a criminal, unable to care for yourself, etc... Quota's didn't come around until the 1921/24. The main migration of Italians was in the 1880s and 1890s.

Also - the economy of the 1800s/early 1900s allowed an immigrant to arrive and get a job easily and alongside citizens. The migrant workers today can't come in and get a job on the police force or easily open a deli. They have to work under the radar in labor intensive jobs that will surely under pay them.

Comparing mid-late 20th Century/21st Centruy Immigrants/Immigration to 18th/19th and early 20th Century immigrants/immigration is intellectually dishonest. There are way too many variables and matters to take into account to try and wquate them.

One is pre-Immigration law, Agricultural/Industrial economy vs post-Immigration laws, Post-9/11 and Digital economy.

Historical accuracy, that's why I like Ibanez. :thumb:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote: I assume you mean in 1900? Those Italians (on the whole) weren't violating US Immigration law in 1900. Up until then, you could come in as long as you weren't illiterate, crazy, a criminal, unable to care for yourself, etc... Quota's didn't come around until the 1921/24. The main migration of Italians was in the 1880s and 1890s.

Let's think about it. Take race out of it for a second and look at the immigration waves in their rightful context. You can't compare them. Take a look at assimilation. It isn't purely the skin color that led 18th/19th Century immigrants to better assimilate. Assimilation doesn't mean you abandon your heritage. But it does mean that you learn the language of your adopted country, understand and respect it's culture, customs and laws. Join in on the activities. But don't forget where you came from. The Irish, Italians and Germans (to name a few) figured it out. :twocents:

I've been accused of being to simplistic in historical analysis. I guess I should post long diatribes like JSO.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Let's think about it. Take race out of it for a second and look at the immigration waves in their rightful context. You can't compare them. Take a look at assimilation. It isn't purely the skin color that led 18th/19th Century immigrants to better assimilate. Assimilation doesn't mean you abandon your heritage. But it does mean that you learn the language of your adopted country, understand and respect it's culture, customs and laws. Join in on the activities. But don't forget where you came from. The Irish, Italians and Germans (to name a few) figured it out. :twocents:

I've been accused of being to simplistic in historical analysis. I guess I should post long diatribes like JSO.
I was just going to say...I poke a little fun at Flaggy and get a JSOesque homily.

Insufferable, humorless cunts...the lot of ya!

:mrgreen:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote:
Ibanez wrote:

I was just going to say...I poke a little fun at Flaggy and get a JSOesque homily.

No - I figured you were trolling. I also saw an opportunity to say something on immigration that rarely gets said (i.e. the differences in our immigration then and now).
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
Ibanez wrote:

I confess to be insufferable and humorless when people distort history - it's a pet peeve of mine. Troll or no troll.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote:
kalm wrote:

I confess to be insufferable and humorless when people distort history - it's a pet peeve of mine. Troll or no troll.
What makes you even worse is that I didn't distort history. I gave a satirical opinion (and an obviously lame one at that). Carry on Debbie Downer. :kisswink:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
What makes you even worse is that I didn't distort history. I gave a satirical opinion (and an obviously lame one at that). Carry on Debbie Downer. :kisswink:
Calling it satirical opinion does not mean you didn't get it wrong. It just means you don't like to admit you were wrong. Anything else I can help you with today?? :kisswink:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
Calling it satirical opinion does not mean you didn't get it wrong. It just means you don't like to admit you were wrong. Anything else I can help you with today?? :kisswink:
This might be the dumbest post you've made on here. Not to mention classic projection. :lol:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
This might be the dumbest post you've made on here. Not to mention classic projection. :lol:
Did you just use the "I'm rubber and you're glue" analogy? Bravo. :rofl:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Yes. But...what about D1b?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote:
kalm wrote:
Yes. But...what about D1b?
I....I've got no response to that one... :ohno:

andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Re: Migrant Caravan

Post by andy7171 »

klenzy's getting his ass handed to himself by the likes of GF and Raul. What a great morning to be a CS'er!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

andy7171 wrote:klenzy's getting his ass handed to himself by the likes of GF and Raul. What a great morning to be a CS'er!
Shut up Andy.

andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

<CHORTLE, CHORTLE>
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

Ibanez wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

Please don’t, one JSO is more than enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Ibanez wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

Yes, Hispanic immigrants assimilate faster now than any group in the history of the country!
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

andy7171 wrote:klenzy's getting his ass handed to himself by the likes of GF and Raul. What a great morning to be a CS'er!

klenzy? Wrong directional
:thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote:
Ibanez wrote:

Yes, Hispanic immigrants assimilate faster now than any group in the history of the country!
Have they? Is that anecdotal or do you have factual information to base that on?

I'm not saying you're wrong - I'm interested in your sources. :thumb:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

dbackjon wrote:
Ibanez wrote:

That's because we are meeting them halfway.
"Para espanol, numero dos." :ohno:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

That's because we are meeting them halfway.
"Para espanol, numero dos." :ohno:
Wouldn't that suggest the opposite? :lol: If you're going to assimilate into the culture of an English-speaking country, wouldn't learning the language be a hallmark of such assimilation?

I think the Hispanic immigrants have successfully acculturated but not assimilated.

And I don't know how you measure the speed of assimilation/acculturation.