93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Breaking: Maryland HS School Shooting

Post by 93henfan »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:
Col Hogan wrote: Right, we don’t know that to be a fact
I know it for a fact.

Mechanically the action on a handgun is shorter so it can cycle faster, throw 5 or 6 - 33 round mags in your back pocket and a handgun is superior weapon in closed quarters if you know what you are doing.
Exactly what I was going to say: An AR and a handgun in a school are almost a wash. You can throw a 30+ round mag (assuming Glock) in either. If you got rushed by some heroes, you might actually be even better off with the handgun for mobility purposes.

The AR is really designed for 50-300 yards. That’s where it shines.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

houndawg wrote:
89Hen wrote: Nope. Lots of folks saying no to arming teachers OR having armed guards. You guys have to be fishing.
Nope, very few that I hear opposed to both. Although they weren't much help at Parkland.
Like kalm ("never heard it once") you're either not listening or lying. The links I gave to kalm were a 10 second search. There are people all over the place saying absolutely NO to arming anyone at a school.

Is it foolproof? No.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote:
houndawg wrote:

Once again you're as usual a step behind. The reason for banning civilian ownership is to lower the body count.

Try to keep up, son. I won't always be here to help you through life.. :ohno:
5 year period 2010-2014 FBI UCR
63,061 murders
43,212 by firearms
1,530 by rifle (a fraction of which by AR-15)

3.54% of all murders by rifle
2.42% of firearms murders by rifle
And this includes all types of rifles. The scary looking semi autos that the lefties like to call ‘assault weapons’ are even lower percentages.
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/20 ... 0-2014.xls

Banning them wouldn’t do squat except to make the anti gun lefties like densedawg feel better..
It would lower the kills/event ratio down to something we could.....wait for it.........live with. :coffee:

BDMBFK rides again.... :ohno:
Last edited by houndawg on Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Nope, very few that I hear opposed to both. Although they weren't much help at Parkland.
Like kalm ("never heard it once") you're either not listening or lying. The links I gave to kalm were a 10 second search. There are people all over the place saying absolutely NO to arming anyone at a school.

Is it foolproof? No.
Easy picking from your high horse today. :o
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

89Hen wrote:
houndawg wrote:

Is it foolproof? No.

There are lots of people advocating heightened security at schools. There are very few advocating for arming union pinko teachers.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

93henfan wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Except accurate. The AR is more accurate. Sounds like the reason you can't shoot straight is more of a technique issue because other than a .22 rimfire there is nothing easier to learn to shoot well. Assuming you have good vision and are properly sighted in, of course.
A bolt gun with a $3000 optic is easier to shoot well.
Too slow
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

houndawg wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: 5 year period 2010-2014 FBI UCR
63,061 murders
43,212 by firearms
1,530 by rifle (a fraction of which by AR-15)

3.54% of all murders by rifle
2.42% of firearms murders by rifle
And this includes all types of rifles. The scary looking semi autos that the lefties like to call ‘assault weapons’ are even lower percentages.
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/20 ... 0-2014.xls

Banning them wouldn’t do squat except to make the anti gun lefties like densedawg feel better..
It would lower the kills/event ratio down to something we could.....wait for it.........love with. :coffee:

BDMBFK rides again.... :ohno:
But, this so-called "kills/event ratio" is much much MUCH higher with non AR-15 firearms. :?
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:
Col Hogan wrote: Right, we don’t know that to be a fact
I know it for a fact.

Mechanically the action on a handgun is shorter so it can cycle faster, throw 5 or 6 - 33 round mags in your back pocket and a handgun is superior weapon in closed quarters if you know what you are doing.
which is about 1% of hand gun owners. :coffee:

AR does the job better. Wouldn't be no Gabby Giffords around today if that ALPHA-looking wackjob had an AR instead of a Glock. 9mm is some weak ass shit... :coffee:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

houndawg wrote:
ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote: I know it for a fact.

AR does the job better. Wouldn't be no Gabby Giffords around today if that ALPHA-looking wackjob had an AR instead of a Glock. 9mm is some weak ass shit... :coffee:
The same people who can’t shoot a handgun usually can’t shoot an AR either. I watched them at the range on Saturday. They were overjoyed to get on paper at 100, shooting off bags.

I pulled out my Savage and rang steel at 300 (that’s as far as this range goes) with three quick shots.

It was like they saw Jesus moonwalking on a lake. :D
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

houndawg wrote:
89Hen wrote: Like kalm ("never heard it once") you're either not listening or lying. The links I gave to kalm were a 10 second search. There are people all over the place saying absolutely NO to arming anyone at a school.

Is it foolproof? No.

There are lots of people advocating heightened security at schools. There are very few advocating for arming union pinko teachers.
I thought you were here to help us. Shit, you can't even help yourself. :ohno:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
houndawg wrote:

I thought you were here to help us. ****, you can't even help yourself. :ohno:
It's just not a good day for dawgie, we should be compassionate for him. :nod:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Nope.

1). Arming teachers is different than armed guards.

2). I don’t read liberal rags like the Guardian and Salon.

:coffee:
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote:
Nope.

Liberal or Leftist? :suspicious:

:lol:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
Nope.

I gave you articles on both arming teachers AND armed guards. You and dawg need to just move on to another thread.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

houndawg wrote:

You dont know what you are talking about. Literally nothing you say on guns is even close to correct. Maybe theoretical physics could use some of your vast knowledge? You would probably get just as much right there knowing what you do about that subject. :coffee:

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

93henfan wrote:

Exactly what I was going to say: An AR and a handgun in a school are almost a wash. You can throw a 30+ round mag (assuming Glock) in either. If you got rushed by some heroes, you might actually be even better off with the handgun for mobility purposes.

The AR is really designed for 50-300 yards. That’s where it shines.
Yep.

2 handguns with 33 round mags and 4 back ups for each would make an AR15 look like densedawg in a gun conversation.

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote:
kalm wrote:
Nope.

Liberal or Leftist? :suspicious:

:lol:
Dammit! Great catch! :notworthy: :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:
Nope.

I gave you articles on both arming teachers AND armed guards. You and dawg need to just move on to another thread.
Ganny’s original term that quoted was “armed personnel”. I took that to mean security rather than teachers.

I’ve heard tons of people opposed to arming teachers...I’m one of them as is CID.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: I gave you articles on both arming teachers AND armed guards. You and dawg need to just move on to another thread.
Ganny’s original term that quoted was “armed personnel”. I took that to mean security rather than teachers.

I’ve heard tons of people opposed to arming teachers...I’m one of them as is CID.
That's why I gave you articles on both arming teachers AND armed guards. Both are "personnel". There are most definitely many people against arming ANYONE at a school. That includes trained guards. This is not up for debate. I gave you a couple links and I could find you dozens or hundreds more.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:

That's why I gave you articles on both arming teachers AND armed guards. Both are "personnel". There are most definitely many people against arming ANYONE at a school. That includes trained guards. This is not up for debate. I gave you a couple links and I could find you dozens or hundreds more.
Thank you. I still haven’t heard anyone on here or in person who’s against armed guards but I suppose there are a few.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Don't most public schools, at least MS/HS, already have SROs? I know mine did and that was early-to-mid 2000s. It's arming teachers that I oppose, although I argue it should be up to the community to decide.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: That's why I gave you articles on both arming teachers AND armed guards. Both are "personnel". There are most definitely many people against arming ANYONE at a school. That includes trained guards. This is not up for debate. I gave you a couple links and I could find you dozens or hundreds more.
Thank you. I still haven’t heard anyone on here or in person who’s against armed guards but I suppose there are a few.
While I'm sure you have quite the wide circle of friends, legitimately I do, the ratio of people who are not on this website and do not know you in person is far smaller than the people who fall outside of that delineation. As 89 has shown, there are indeed plenty of voices that have, since Parkland, advocated no guns in schools, by teachers and/or non-teaching personnel. To deny there are such voices is simply delusional, hence my "let's be honest" encouragement. If we're going to debate about this, let's at least approach it honestly. :thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:Don't most public schools, at least MS/HS, already have SROs? I know mine did and that was early-to-mid 2000s. It's arming teachers that I oppose, although I argue it should be up to the community to decide.
Some schools have SRO's, some don't. For those that have SRO's, some are armed, some aren't. There's no particular consistency in this regard.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

GannonFan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:Don't most public schools, at least MS/HS, already have SROs? I know mine did and that was early-to-mid 2000s. It's arming teachers that I oppose, although I argue it should be up to the community to decide.
Some schools have SRO's, some don't. For those that have SRO's, some are armed, some aren't. There's no particular consistency in this regard.
Then I think it's for the communities or states to decide. I'm not sure what the argument is for the federal government to interfere, either for arming or disarming schools.

That said, I'm fairly conservative when it comes to gun-rights, but I do think it benefits the nation for better background checks that take into account mental health issues, and restrictions in place for those who have these issues. I think that's one thing liberals, moderates, and conservatives can agree on.

And on a related note, I also think we need to VASTLY invest into the nation's mental health infrastructure.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Then I think it's for the communities or states to decide. I'm not sure what the argument is for the federal government to interfere, either for arming or disarming schools.

That said, I'm fairly conservative when it comes to gun-rights, but I do think it benefits the nation for better background checks that take into account mental health issues, and restrictions in place for those who have these issues. I think that's one thing liberals, moderates, and conservatives can agree on.

And on a related note, I also think we need to VASTLY invest into the nation's mental health infrastructure.
I think the argument that some have is that "something" has to be done and any politician not doing "something" is failing.

Doesn't matter what level of government you're talking about. I think there's some validity to this as I think every level of government could be doing something - locally better secure schools (metal detectors, armed SRO's or local police), at the state level help support the local levels and help to close any reporting loopholes that allow people like the Parkland kid to remain free despite all the warning signs, and at the federal level coming up with a standard age of purchase and ensuring that the background system is far more reliable than it is today in terms of reporting into it.

Not tons of controversy in any of that, but partisans must be partisans and hence they're sure the other side is evil and not worthy of talking to.