Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

A Party Divided

Post by kalm »

Establishment Dems vs the progressives. Republican Lite vs. femasexuals. Identity politics at its worse.

I had to look up what "intersectional feminism" means. It scares me.

Fienstein not getting the backing of the party at the California Convention made me laugh. But careful what you wish for?

"I don't belong to any organized political party, I'm a Democrat."

I might vote straight libertarian from now on.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/04/us/p ... d=fb-share
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Re: A Party Divided

Post by ASUG8 »

I'd love to see a viable third party centrist alternative for the 60-70% of the voting public who probably identify that way.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

ASUG8 wrote:I'd love to see a viable third party centrist alternative for the 60-70% of the voting public who probably identify that way.

:nod:

Or two or three.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

ASUG8 wrote:I'd love to see a viable third party centrist alternative for the 60-70% of the voting public who probably identify that way.
I agree and I think they would do well overall. But unfortunately I do not think they will be allowed to get that far due to the people that have a vested interest in keeping us in a 2-party system.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:
I might vote straight libertarian from now on.
:yikes:

Butt out. There ain’t room in my party for the two of us. :tothehand:

Oh, and “worst.” :nod:
Spoiler: show
:kisswink:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

While I agree in principal, the two major parties have so rigged the rules in the House and Senate that a third party would simply be a blocking movement unless they could capture a majority. The party ruling those institutions hand out committee assignments and control the agenda...

Good idea though...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Looks like the Donks are going to elect their Donald Trumps to state legislatures and to congress.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:Establishment Dems vs the progressives. Republican Lite vs. femasexuals. Identity politics at its worse.

I had to look up what "intersectional feminism" means. It scares me.
I tell you, I've been hearing that stuff for 3-4 years now from the women's studies friend I have on FB. And now you hear the kids saying stuff like that over and over again as they've been knee-deep in that stuff for years now. I see it being pushed further and further to the extreme with no concern to build a consensus. If you disagree with any of it then you're the enemy. It's like Kramer refusing to wear the ribbon.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

So exactly what happened to the Conks is now happening to the Donks. And yet JSO ASSURES us that the end of the Conk party is near...When FEINSTEIN isn't left enough for you, you've got real issues. FFS
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote:So exactly what happened to the Conks is now happening to the Donks. And yet JSO ASSURES us that the end of the Conk party is near...When FEINSTEIN isn't left enough for you, you've got real issues. FFS
Whenever JSO assures anything you should bet heavily on the opposite happening. The stronger he feels about it the more likely the exact opposite will happen.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:So exactly what happened to the Conks is now happening to the Donks. And yet JSO ASSURES us that the end of the Conk party is near...When FEINSTEIN isn't left enough for you, you've got real issues. FFS
Whenever JSO assures anything you should bet heavily on the opposite happening. The stronger he feels about it the more likely the exact opposite will happen.
St. Onge’s Law. Sort of like Murphy’s Law.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Feinstein isn’t very left at all.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Both parties have moderates that could make up a third party (mainly in the Senate).

I think people like Graham, Corker, and Collins would rather be in a party with Warner, Manchin, Tester, etc. and vice versa. They don't agree on everything - but, I think they'd rather work with each other than the fringe on the left or the right.

The biggest problem is in the House. Every state is so damned gerrymandered - you either have to move as far to the left or as far to the right as you can. You're more vulnerable to getting primaried than someone from the other party running against you. The House is an absolute shitshow.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote:

Or two or three.

Why we need to consider a switch to a Parliamentarian government.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

:roll:

mainstream establishment down the line
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote:
kalm wrote:

Or two or three.

It's not a panacea, just a different way of rearranging the chairs on the deck of a sinking ship (no, I'm not a Russian bot btw). There's plenty of room in a duopoly of political parties to achieve the same thing you get with a multi-party parliament. And besides, the things that really hurt us now are the lack of ideas. Adding more parties with no ideas doesn't help that.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

You had in 2016 - Hillary.
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

kalm wrote:
Feinstein isn’t very left at all.

Correct - there are far more moderates in the Democratic Party than there are in the GOP.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote:

Maybe one that wasn't so deeply corrupt would be good. :coffee:
Last edited by GannonFan on Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

dbackjon wrote:

But maybe not one the entire country hates?
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

dbackjon wrote:

Half the country despised her. Even my Liberal Catholic wife refused to vote for her.

We normally cancel each other out every election nationally, But I voted for Johnson and she voted for...let me collect my self here, ... Trump! :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

GannonFan wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Maybe one that wasn't so deeply corrupt would be good. :coffee:
Show me the corruption.

Go ahead, I'll wait. And verified - not kook sites like infowars or FoxNews
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote:
houndawg wrote:

It's not a panacea, just a different way of rearranging the chairs on the deck of a sinking ship (no, I'm not a Russian bot btw). There's plenty of room in a duopoly of political parties to achieve the same thing you get with a multi-party parliament. And besides, the things that really hurt us now are the lack of ideas. Adding more parties with no ideas doesn't help that.
A wider spectrum gets heard and has some real input greater than zero; and just having a broader spectrum of parties increases public participation and buy in. Most all the countries with higher life expectancy and lifestyle than we do have Parliaments. :coffee:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Pwns wrote:Looks like the Donks are going to elect their Donald Trumps to state legislatures and to congress.
You mean Al Sharpton? That's pretty close to the analog. When the Democrats nominate Al Sharpton as their Presidential candidate you can say they went off the rails as far as the Republicans did in nominating Trump. And then they'd have to rally behind him in the general election to REALLY go as off the wall as the Republicans did.
Last edited by JohnStOnge on Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Otherwise I once again say it'd be good if we had the "instant primary" voting so that people could vote for whoever they REALLY want without worrying about the "who really has a chance to win?" thing.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came