FWIW:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: Trump Tariffs = Tax Hike on all

Post by houndawg »

andy7171 wrote:I heard the Maine lobstermen are complaining because China is one of their main importers. $7-8 lobster meat, skyrocketing. **** those chinkc. I'll vow to make up the difference. $6 lobster vs $7 chicken, win win.
Drive the price up too far and they'll park a factory off the coast of Maine.
:coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote:FWIW:
Whatever they do it won't affect me. For the foreseeable future I'm locked in at $1/tamale, red or green.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:It's not as easy as saying, "oh it's not working, let's go back." That's not how the global economy, or human nature in general, tends to work. :?
Actually, when it comes to tariffs on goods from a country that is nearly entirely dependent on us to purchase their cheap goods, yes... yes, that IS how it works.

Maybe China can add another 10% import duty to those coveted Buicks... that'll show us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Listening to CSPAN this morning...lots of Republicans bitching about the tariffs, especially farmers.

Most GOP callers usually suck Trump's dick, so it was a nice (and surprising) change of pace today.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:Listening to CSPAN this morning...lots of Republicans bitching about the tariffs, especially farmers.

Most GOP callers usually suck Trump's dick, so it was a nice (and surprising) change of pace today.
If both sides dislike you, you’re doing something right in my book.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

If it hurts us right now that means it's hurting our trade partners...
Something "hurting" isn't the worst thing that can happen

This game of poker might take a few hands to see who's economy can take it
I'm betting on the U.S. Economy in the long run

This whole thing is a fascinating study that would have NEVER happened
As Americans we owe it to ourselves to walk this through and see the results
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

∞∞∞ wrote:Listening to CSPAN this morning...lots of Republicans bitching about the tariffs, especially farmers.

And on the flip side are those on the left who’ve suddenly become free traders.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Chizzang wrote:If it hurts us right now that means it's hurting our trade partners...

I don't understand. I feel like some of you are under the assumption that trade is some zero-sum game?

Having a deficit doesn't mean we're losing money. :?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Chizzang wrote:If it hurts us right now that means it's hurting our trade partners...

I don't understand. I feel like some of you are under the assumption that trade is some zero-sum game?

There are two things at play here: trade imbalances and tariffs. Tariffs help cause imbalances. Imbalances reduce one party's competitiveness. Our higher wage structure is already a drag on our competitiveness. We don't need to fight tariffs too.

Actually there are a few other things involved in this action. The trade organizations have lost all ability to crack down on rulebreakers. Also, intellectual property being stolen is another issue.

Trump is a lot of things. Many of them negative. But him shining light on the trade issues is absolutely needed and the timing is right. Give him credit for taking this on, as well as other imbalances such as NATO, Paris Climate Accord, and SALT deductions.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

∞∞∞ wrote:

Gee Really...

:lol:

Look we've got posters around here trying to tell me Monopolies are good for consumers
If you're correcting folks focus on the guys that are really confused
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Chizzang wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: I don't understand. I feel like some of you are under the assumption that trade is some zero-sum game?

Gee Really...

Look we've got posters around here trying to tell me Monopolies are good for consumers
If you're correcting folks focus on the guys that are really confused
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Chizzang wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: I agree. I have always been somewhere in the middle of speed and research when making a decision. I prefer to have as much information as possible before I make a decision, but sometimes you have to forge ahead due to time constraints.

For Trump, the time constraints are several factors. The first being the limits of his term. The second being the strength of the economy. I have heard a lot of complaining about the tariffs, while at the same time agreeing that we have been getting screwed for a long time, but I haven't heard any plans that are different than what we have already tried. It's a bold move. If he pulls it off, it will be great for America, and some other countries operating at a trade deficit. If not, we can call off the dogs.

But we are in a position of strength. You can't win a tariff war if you are a surplus nation. Eventually you run out of ammo. I think this plan of action has gone through a lot of thought. I think we have calculated every retaliatory move that can be made and determined that we can withstand them all. The thing I'm wondering about is how we will address the strengthening dollar. It will be interesting to see what happens with that. An overly strong dollar is the only hope our trading partners have at winning this.
Weird...^ I completely agree
and as far as the dollar getting too strong isn't that where the Federal Reserve comes into play..?
Joe knows more about this than I do - somebody go get Joltin' Joe

Can't the Fed just do a crazy over printing of cash ..?

Somebody tell me we've got a way of keeping the dollar where it's at presently
There are a number of things the Fed can do to affect exchange rates. But they all have secondary effects. For instance, raising rates can lower the dollar, but that can also stall the economy if inflation is not running hot (>2%) at the same time.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

houndawg wrote:
andy7171 wrote:I heard the Maine lobstermen are complaining because China is one of their main importers. $7-8 lobster meat, skyrocketing. **** those chinkc. I'll vow to make up the difference. $6 lobster vs $7 chicken, win win.
Drive the price up too far and they'll park a factory off the coast of Maine.
:coffee:
Who? The Chinese? In the north atlantic? LMAO!
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Trump puts a run on the scoreboard:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/25/us-stoc ... ter%7Cmain

Dow jumps 150 points after Trump reportedly gets concessions from EU to avoid a trade war
Dow Jones reported, citing an EU official, that the EU has agreed to import more U.S. soybeans. Dow Jones also said the EU agreed to lowering tariffs on industrial goods.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

SDHornet wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:Tariffs have been wreaking havoc in my industry (commercial and public engineering/construction). We've slowed down as clients search for more funding for new projects or simply cancel them.

Let's invest into our infrastructure but beforehand, make it more expensive.

/fail
:?
We have multiple project going on at our plant in which the contractors are having problems finding enough heavy equipment to rent. Must be an ECB thing.

No, the strong Jerry Brown economy is overriding the Trump shitstorm. :nod:
:thumb:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

"Trump Secures Concessions From Europeans, EU Official Says

Europeans agree on lowering industrial tariffs, work on more U.S. LNG exports
WASHINGTON—The European Union delegation meeting with President Donald Trump Wednesday agreed to some concessions in an effort to avoid a trade war with the U.S., according to a European official in the room.

The official said European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker and his top trade official Cecilia Malmström agreed to work with the U.S. administration to lower industrial tariffs on both sides, increase LNG exports and soy beans to Europe, and align regulatory standards to allow for medical devices to have better market access in Europe, the official said.

Both delegations were still fine tuning language in a common statement on car tariffs, the official said.

A joint news conference between Mr. Trump and Mr. Juncker was hastily being organized as the meeting was coming to an end.

(more to come)"
https://www.wsj.com/articles/ahead-of-e ... 1532524795
#winning :nod:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I don't think the United States would do well with completely free trade. I think there are numerous countries that can produce things at lower cost than the United States can.

In fact Trump's fixation with Mexico is an example. Motor vehicles can be produced at lower cost in Mexico, for instance, than they can be produced in the United States. It is what it is.

The reason Trump has his own products produced overseas is because there are places overseas where they can be produced at lower cost.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Weird...^ I completely agree
and as far as the dollar getting too strong isn't that where the Federal Reserve comes into play..?
Joe knows more about this than I do - somebody go get Joltin' Joe

Can't the Fed just do a crazy over printing of cash ..?

Somebody tell me we've got a way of keeping the dollar where it's at presently
There are a number of things the Fed can do to affect exchange rates. But they all have secondary effects. For instance, raising rates can lower the dollar, but that can also stall the economy if inflation is not running hot (>2%) at the same time.
And the Fed has already made it clear they're more than willing to stay the course on rate increases with the economy running above their 2% target inflation rate.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BDKJMU wrote:"Trump Secures Concessions From Europeans, EU Official Says

WASHINGTON—The European Union delegation meeting with President Donald Trump Wednesday agreed to some concessions in an effort to avoid a trade war with the U.S., according to a European official in the room.

The official said European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker and his top trade official Cecilia Malmström agreed to work with the U.S. administration to lower industrial tariffs on both sides, increase LNG exports and soy beans to Europe, and align regulatory standards to allow for medical devices to have better market access in Europe, the official said.

Both delegations were still fine tuning language in a common statement on car tariffs, the official said.

A joint news conference between Mr. Trump and Mr. Juncker was hastily being organized as the meeting was coming to an end.

(more to come)"
That's good to hear, but let's revisit it in a few months. "Working towards zero tariffs" isn't the same as zero tariffs, and Trump's been a lot of talk on his deals. With his history, I also wouldn't be surprised if he reneges on it for whatever reason he feels like; Trump isn't exactly trustworthy.

There's also that China thing he has to deal with, along with all the other nations he likes to rail against.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:

(more to come)"
That's good to hear, but let's revisit it in a few months. "Working towards zero tariffs" isn't the same as zero tariffs, and Trump's been a lot of talk on his deals. With his history, I also wouldn't be surprised if he reneges on it for whatever reason he feels like; Trump isn't exactly trustworthy.

There's also that China thing he has to deal with, along with all the other nations he likes to rail against.
There was language in this release that makes it pretty obvious that the EU is in favor of rapidly settling this in order to cooperate with the US on intellectual property theft, forced tech transfers, etc. That's a shot straight at China and it shows that our willingness to try to address it has attracted attention in the EU.

Things are happening and right now they are positive.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Agreed, but let's hope Trump's ego doesn't derail this.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

∞∞∞ wrote:

(more to come)"

I don't know that it is possible to have complete zero tariffs with every country. I'm sure there are circumstances that require a country to use tariffs to maintain critical industries like steel for example. It's just more expensive to deal with in some countries and they can't undercut the industry with another country's cheap steel. But that is what these talks are for; to identify the critical products, identify the subsidized products, and work on a deal that is better than what we have now. I'm positive someone will be able to cherry pick items within the overall deal and say, "See, that is no better than what we had before". It will be like trading a good pitcher for a good shortstop and catcher. The net will be the true measure.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: That's good to hear, but let's revisit it in a few months. "Working towards zero tariffs" isn't the same as zero tariffs, and Trump's been a lot of talk on his deals. With his history, I also wouldn't be surprised if he reneges on it for whatever reason he feels like; Trump isn't exactly trustworthy.

There was language in this release that makes it pretty obvious that the EU is in favor of rapidly settling this in order to cooperate with the US on intellectual property theft, forced tech transfers, etc. That's a shot straight at China and it shows that our willingness to try to address it has attracted attention in the EU.

Things are happening and right now they are positive.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

So they agreed to agree to try and not escalate the tariff war any further, and maybe back off some of the newly imposed tariffs.

Just like Trump's other deals - worthless "solving" of crisises he created in first place, with no gain, and probably a loss for the US.

And the Trumplickers lap it up.