Trump Tariffs = Tax Hike on all

Political discussions
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: Trump Tariffs = Tax Hike on all

Post by Winterborn »

andy7171 wrote:The only pot you're stirring is trip's more inane rantings of millenial speak.
A person has to start somewhere. Can't jump into the pro's right off the bat. :D
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

Winterborn wrote:
andy7171 wrote:The only pot you're stirring is trip's more inane rantings of millenial speak.
A person has to start somewhere. Can't jump into the pro's right off the bat. :D
So very true. My apologizes.
:lol: :notworthy:
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Ibanez wrote:My post was in jest.
I know yours was. :thumb:

But I firmly believe America's never been better, but it can always be even more so.
We can be - once we stop being offended by everything, blaming whites for your(not you personally) personal struggles, being so damn polarized, etc... It'll take a massive shock to the system.
Spoiler: show
Btw, fun fact: We've had 3 Presidents, in the last 35 years, use the line, "Make America Great Again" - Reagan, Clinton and Trump.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Trump sends out new threats on Chinese tariffs.
More than 1000 Chinese stocks drop more than 10%. Shanghai Index at 2 year low.

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CAA Flagship wrote:Trump sends out new threats on Chinese tariffs.
More than 1000 Chinese stocks drop more than 10%. Shanghai Index at 2 year low.

Our stock market doesn’t react well to that shytte, either.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

That’s OK. I didn’t want my retirement account getting too big too fast.

I also was hoping for a federal employee pay freeze in 2019 and Trump delivered there as well!

:lol:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:This is why it's hard for me, as a citizen observer of the machine, to take you seriously. I come from a generation that's literally only known war and super shitty foreign policy. Like it or not, of everything you've posted, you've been part of that shitty foreign affairs machine for decades. It's a failed system, but you want to perpetuate it (like doubling down on our military industrial complex). And if I'm wrong, which you think I am, please understand your generation has done a TERRIBLE job selling your policies. We're literally about to start sending troops into wars that were started BEFORE those troops were born...insanity.
"I come from a generation that's literally only known war". :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Your life's been terribly impacted by these horrible wars 10,000 miles away, hasn't it? :roll: :roll: Go grab a rifle and stand a fucking post. :tothehand:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

AZGrizFan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:This is why it's hard for me, as a citizen observer of the machine, to take you seriously. I come from a generation that's literally only known war and super shitty foreign policy. Like it or not, of everything you've posted, you've been part of that shitty foreign affairs machine for decades. It's a failed system, but you want to perpetuate it (like doubling down on our military industrial complex). And if I'm wrong, which you think I am, please understand your generation has done a TERRIBLE job selling your policies. We're literally about to start sending troops into wars that were started BEFORE those troops were born...insanity.
"I come from a generation that's literally only known war". :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Your life's been terribly impacted by these horrible wars 10,000 miles away, hasn't it? :roll: :roll: Go grab a rifle and stand a fucking post. :tothehand:

There is no generation of Americans that hasn't known "only known war"
That is the American story - after WWII we decided to become the World Police

War: It's what we do here
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

AZGrizFan wrote:

Your life's been terribly impacted by these horrible wars 10,000 miles away, hasn't it? :roll: :roll: Go grab a rifle and stand a **** post. :tothehand:
Yes it has terribly impacted me, and every American.

We've wasted money that can be put towards improving our quality of life at home (education, infrastructure, parks, medicine, environment, research, etc.), we've lost lives that could have positively contributed to our society and economy for years to come, and we've destabilized entire regions. It does terribly impact me, and you, and the nation, and future Americans.

So you can continue thinking war has narrow individual effects, or realize there's a bigger picture.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Ivytalk wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Of course they aren't legal - China's below board activities are well known. I'm just focusing here on the things we actually allow them to demand in exchange for access to their endless supply of cheap labor and products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As a lawyer, representing the Chinese is an exercise in frustration. First, you always have to deal with a middleman, who relays all communications to and from the top dog. Second, communications are slow as stink, even in urgent situations. Third, they always stiff you on your bills. Fourth, they are habitual liars. Fifth, after they stiff you on your bills, the middleman conveniently disappears. Sixth, good luck enforcing a judgment against them. :ohno:

Are you talking about the Chinese or Trump?
:thumb:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

dbackjon wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: As a lawyer, representing the Chinese is an exercise in frustration. First, you always have to deal with a middleman, who relays all communications to and from the top dog. Second, communications are slow as stink, even in urgent situations. Third, they always stiff you on your bills. Fourth, they are habitual liars. Fifth, after they stiff you on your bills, the middleman conveniently disappears. Sixth, good luck enforcing a judgment against them. :ohno:

Are you talking about the Chinese or Trump?
Good question! :lol: I never represented any Trump business.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

Your life's been terribly impacted by these horrible wars 10,000 miles away, hasn't it? :roll: :roll: Go grab a rifle and stand a **** post. :tothehand:

We've wasted money that can be put towards improving our quality of life at home (education, infrastructure, parks, medicine, environment, research, etc.), we've lost lives that could have positively contributed to our society and economy for years to come, and we've destabilized entire regions. It does terribly impact me, and you, and the nation, and future Americans.

So you can continue thinking war has narrow individual effects, or realize there's a bigger picture.
You've been terribly impacted...Have you experienced rationing? Conscription? Internment? Bombing raids? Air raid drills? Fighting at the front? Martial law? PTSD? Entire groups of your friends or family wiped out? Or did the mall have to shut down for a couple hours because there was no power? :roll: :roll:

You--PERSONALLY--cannot in any way quantify how you've been impacted by these little police actions thousands of miles away. Christ, the media doesn't even COVER them anymore...it's more important to them to get the latest Stormy Daniels soundbite.

You know nothing of war, and every time you open your mouth you sound just a tad more retarded than the time before. (and p.s., unless you're born AFTER 2001, your initial statement is a lie anyway).
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Yes it has terribly impacted me, and every American.

You've been terribly impacted...Have you experienced rationing? Conscription? Internment? Bombing raids? Air raid drills? Fighting at the front? Martial law? PTSD? Entire groups of your friends or family wiped out? Or did the mall have to shut down for a couple hours because there was no power? :roll: :roll:

You--PERSONALLY--cannot in any way quantify how you've been impacted by these little police actions thousands of miles away. Christ, the media doesn't even COVER them anymore...it's more important to them to get the latest Stormy Daniels soundbite.

You know nothing of war, and every time you open your mouth you sound just a tad more retarded than the time before. (and p.s., unless you're born AFTER 2001, your initial statement is a lie anyway).
Gotta agree with this. Trip comes off as a petulant, spoiled, entitled millennial with the idea that he's been "terribly impacted" by wars and military action that American has taken part in over the past 2-3 decades. Unless you're actually serving in today's military, or are friends or family of those who are/have, then the reality is that in America today we are amazingly detached and cocooned away from being impacted, let alone "terribly impacted" by our country's military endeavors. I'm not saying that what we've done militarily has always been correct (obviously we've made mistakes), but we as regular citizens in America have by and large not been impacted very much at all by these activities. Tell a Syrian friend on how we've been "terribly impacted" by American military action in Afghanistan, for instance, and see his/her reaction.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

Gotta agree with this. Trip comes off as a petulant, spoiled, entitled millennial with the idea that he's been "terribly impacted" by wars and military action that American has taken part in over the past 2-3 decades. Unless you're actually serving in today's military, or are friends or family of those who are/have, then the reality is that in America today we are amazingly detached and cocooned away from being impacted, let alone "terribly impacted" by our country's military endeavors. I'm not saying that what we've done militarily has always been correct (obviously we've made mistakes), but we as regular citizens in America have by and large not been impacted very much at all by these activities. Tell a Syrian friend on how we've been "terribly impacted" by American military action in Afghanistan, for instance, and see his/her reaction.
Exactly. "Terribly impacted" my ass. :roll: :roll:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

Maybe you should get checked for PTSD or something

It’s hell, you know
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

This. Unless Trip has served or lost a family member, I don’t understand how he’s been terribly impacted. I’ve lost 3 friends to the GWOT and I don’t consider myself “terribly impacted” at all. Trip- I feel that you’re exaggerating. All of our lives have been directly and indirectly impacted by the policies of our government since the beginning. This isn’t any different.

I’ve had the privilege to work alongside Marines, Sailors and Airmen in direct support of OEF, OIF and OND. Those 9.5 yrs were incredible. The GWOT has made a significant impact on me - and I would say it was for the better. I’ve learned many life lessons from my time. I haven’t had to actually fight - but providing the material and capabilities to keep Marines fighting, Sailors in communication and a few other things that I won’t go into, has left its mark on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Another round of tariffs hitting China today. China will hit back tomorrow.

:popcorn:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

CAA Flagship wrote:Another round of tariffs hitting China today. China will hit back tomorrow.

The funny thing about this is...
China can only lose this because they can only tariff US food products that they need desperately

:nod:

It's like the scene in Blazing Saddles: "Don't come any closer or I'll blow my head off"
Watching China threaten to shoot themselves has been hilarious
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Chizzang wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:Another round of tariffs hitting China today. China will hit back tomorrow.

China can only lose this because they can only tariff US food products that they need desperately

It's like the scene in Blazing Saddles: "Don't come any closer or I'll blow my head off"
Well, it's not that simple, but in simple math, if China goes toe to toe by simply matching our tariffs dollar for dollar, they are outnumbered by a 4:1 margin. At some point that have to up the ante. At that point, shit will get interesting.

The soy bean thing is interesting. Argentina is a strong alternative to US soy beans for China. The problem is that Argentina is coming off a bad crop year, so they are buying from the US in order to meet the China order.
So US soy bean exports have not been affected.

This is a classic chess match where moves are anticipated well in advance of the US moves, and the US is making moves that will effect certain Chinese moves that provide the least impact to the US.

It's funny listening to US CEO's. Some are all for it. Those are the ones that are in desperate industries. Others hate it. Those are the ones that have no issues with trade. Then there are the ones (vast majority) that have adapted to the unfair treatment and can live with it, but would benefit "bigly" if we win. They are the ones squirming in their seat. Uncertainty is not liked.

That said, there is still no clear vision of the outcome.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

Well, it's not that simple, but in simple math, if China goes toe to toe by simply matching our tariffs dollar for dollar, they are outnumbered by a 4:1 margin. At some point that have to up the ante. At that point, shit will get interesting.

The soy bean thing is interesting. Argentina is a strong alternative to US soy beans for China. The problem is that Argentina is coming off a bad crop year, so they are buying from the US in order to meet the China order.

This is a classic chess match where moves are anticipated well in advance of the US moves, and the US is making moves that will effect certain Chinese moves that provide the least impact to the US.

It's funny listening to US CEO's. Some are all for it. Those are the ones that are in desperate industries. Others hate it. Those are the ones that have no issues with trade. Then there are the ones (vast majority) that have adapted to the unfair treatment and can live with it, but would benefit "bigly" if we win. They are the ones squirming in their seat. Uncertainty is not liked.

It's more exciting than the major League baseball season... Right now
There's 4 teams and then the grand canyon then everybody else
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Chizzang wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Well, it's not that simple, but in simple math, if China goes toe to toe by simply matching our tariffs dollar for dollar, they are outnumbered by a 4:1 margin. At some point that have to up the ante. At that point, shit will get interesting.

It's more exciting than the major League baseball season... Right now
There's 4 teams and then the grand canyon then everybody else
:lol:
Yeah but 10 teams are guaranteed to play in the post season. And the Capitals won the Stanley Cup. :lol:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Larry Kudlow just said that China is doing very little on the things they agreed to do. Trump is furious and is about to strike very hard. :shock:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

CAA Flagship wrote:Larry Kudlow just said that China is doing very little on the things they agreed to do. Trump is furious and is about to strike very hard. :shock:
But he has to clear it with Putin first.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

:shock: :lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Let's hope the Cheeto in Chief knows what he's doing (though I won't hold my breath.)