Political discussions
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Re: Trump Tariffs = Tax Hike on all

Post by CAA Flagship »

CID1990 wrote:Anyone who said this wouldn't move China (and others) was either ignorant or just being anti Trump by default

but the damage to China's markets was always going to be the first effect

the adverse effects to our own industries are going to be less obvious and slower to reveal themselves

but I am sure CNN will point them out to us posthaste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truth be told, China's stock market is not as closely tied to their economy as the US stock market is to the US economy. Only about 5% of the population is invested in the Chinese stock market. But it does affect the majority of the wealthiest Chinese. And it hurts company investments which limits their ability to fund increased production. But their economy is beginning to take a hit as they scramble to maintain the flow of imports and exports through other nations.

Once a few renegotiated deals are finalized, more dominos will fall. If Mexico reaches a deal, Canada will be forced to the table.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Agreement reached with Mexico. Now it's a matter of getting Canada to reach an agreement in order to rewrite NAFTA. Mexico was the necessary first step, but nothing can be done without Canada, which gives them an interesting bit of leverage.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

CAA Flagship wrote:Agreement reached with Mexico. Now it's a matter of getting Canada to reach an agreement in order to rewrite NAFTA. Mexico was the necessary first step, but nothing can be done without Canada, which gives them an interesting bit of leverage.
Their Boy Leader has already made it clear he will cut off his own nose to spite his face... because resistance

we'll see if realpolitik still exists up north

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:Agreement reached with Mexico. Now it's a matter of getting Canada to reach an agreement in order to rewrite NAFTA. Mexico was the necessary first step, but nothing can be done without Canada, which gives them an interesting bit of leverage.
Their Boy Leader has already made it clear he will cut off his own nose to spite his face... because resistance

Justin Trudeau dislikes Trump for the same reason everybody dislikes Trump
Because he's a malicious smarmy twat

That said:
Trudeau has some tough decisions and I'm curious if he's capable

:geek:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Justin Trudeau dislikes Trump for the same reason everybody dislikes Trump
Because he's a malicious smarmy twat

That said:
Trudeau has some tough decisions and I'm curious if he's capable

:geek:
Here's the thing, if Canada does not negotiate a deal, then the deal with Mexico is off and the new admin in Mexico (left wing) will take over and the Trump tariffs will remain (we can't do a bilateral deal because of the legal process). US needs Canada to agree to something, and soon, which gives Canada a bit of leverage. So it will be interesting to see what they do. Wouldn't surprise me to see them do nothing to side with the future lefty administration in Mexico just to stick it to Trump. But that could cause Canada more pain.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

CAA Flagship wrote:Agreement reached with Mexico. .
I heard someone making the argument today that the new agreement with Mexico wouldn't change much. The claim was that he's just rebranding the thing. The claim is that it's just another example of Trump acting like something was done when nothing much happened. Harkens back to his description in his book about how he told construction people to just go out and move dirt around so it would look like they were doing something when he brought potential investors by.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:Agreement reached with Mexico. .
I heard someone making the argument today that the new agreement with Mexico wouldn't change much. The claim was that he's just rebranding the thing. The claim is that it's just another example of Trump acting like something was done when nothing much happened. Harkens back to his description in his book about how he told construction people to just go out and move dirt around so it would look like they were doing something when he brought potential investors by.
1. Expected nothing less from you. Every Trump accomplishment is poo pooed by you.

2. Pssst. Construction projects are always used as dog and pony shows. I've made a career of baffling senior government leaders with bullshit when they visit construction sites. Hell, in 2012 I had Barbara Mikulski all giddy on the site of a new child care center that had a roof with more holes in it than a large cheese grater due to improper installation of coatings and penetrations. I had the contractor fix it on their dime before we put kids in it, but it was complete shit when Babs was there. :lol:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
1. Expected nothing less from you. Every Trump accomplishment is poo pooed by you.

2. Pssst. Construction projects are always used as dog and pony shows. I've made a career of baffling senior government leaders with bullshit when they visit construction sites. Hell, in 2012 I had Barbara Mikulski all giddy on the site of a new child care center that had a roof with more holes in it than a large cheese grater due to improper installation of coatings and penetrations. I had the contractor fix it on their dime before we put kids in it, but it was complete shit when Babs was there. :lol:
:lol: :lol: I've seen things like that when I was an appraiser and loan officer. I'd go out to make sure progress had been made on new construction and there'd be guys digging a hole, just to fill in another hole.
Spoiler: show
Say what you want, but Barbara Mikulski is a wonderful woman with an incredible sense of humor. Sort of like CID and his Jim Webb stories, i'll post about her when she dies.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Trade war escalating with China.
10% on 200B from China
5-10% on $60B from US

:fuel:

:popcorn:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

93henfan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
There's no Trump accomplishment here. That's the point.
Could I ever be a star?

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Trump accomplished more in six months than Obama did in eight years plus a year and a half butthurt tour.

You must not be very well invested. Get a financial planner if you can’t handle it yourself.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

93henfan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
Trump accomplished more in six months than Obama did in eight years plus a year and a half butthurt tour..
I know that's what Trump says. But I think you need to get real. You need to look at what the situation was when Obama took office vs. what the situation was when Trump took office.

I don't even really need to elaborate unless you're just going to be willfully obtuse. To say Trump has accomplished more is just absurd. Obama took over under crisis circumstances. Trump did not.

Now, I should say that I don't necessarily think we can ascribe everything that happens to Presidents. But there actually WAS an economic turnaround from recession to growth cycle during the Obama Administration. Nothing like that has happened during the Trump Administration. There actually was a transition from a bear market to to a bull market during the Obama Administration. That has not happened during the Trump Administration.

Those are not opinions. Those are facts.
Last edited by JohnStOnge on Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Could I ever be a star?

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

93henfan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
Trump accomplished more in six months than Obama did in eight years plus a year and a half butthurt tour.

You must not be very well invested. Get a financial planner if you can’t handle it yourself.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:thumb:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

dbackjon wrote:
93henfan wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I’m serious. Just put money in the Vanguard S&P index if you’re not seeing gains. You can’t fail in this Trump economy, even if you’re gay, a millennial, or a gay millennial. You have to really work hard to be angry when things are this good. Everybody wins.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

dbackjon wrote:
93henfan wrote:

Apparently a skyrocketing deficit in a good economy, funneling money to the top percentage of Americans, and having inflation outpace salaries are "accomplishments" now.

But hey, at least people have jobs. Any job (that's the GOP standard now).

And then Republicans wonder why "it's the economy stupid" isn't speaking to voters. Because unless you have major investments in the market, most Americans aren't reaping the benefits.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
dbackjon wrote:
Apparently a skyrocketing deficit in a good economy, funneling money to the top percentage of Americans, and having inflation outpace salaries are "accomplishments" now.

But hey, at least people have jobs. Any job. Nothing else matters. :lol:
Don’t tell me you’re mad too! You live in a false economy in DC, with salaries hyperinflated by USG dollars flowing without a check valve to federal contractors and subs, federal employees, and filtering down to all the private industries they support.

Celebrate, man. The bubble is awesome! I take my slice of cake everyday and then go home to the real world. It’s a great situation. For real.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

No doubt DC is protected by a bubble-economy.

A few weeks back on the Kojo Nnamdi Show, they were discussing the cancellation of moving the FBI HQ and how PG County/Fairfax County lost millions on bids that didn't even materialize. And then spoke about the IG report and the validity of the evaluations involved.

Anyways, I called in to mention that it could be cheaper to put the FBI HQ elsewhere in the nation (mid-west for example), and that the Federal Gov't should consider "spreading the wealth" to other areas of the country heading forward. With technology today, I don't see the need for everything to be centralized here.

I though it was a reasonable suggestion, but both he and the guest scoffed at the idea and questioned if I was even a resident of the DMV area. Then hung up. :roll:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

∞∞∞ wrote:No doubt DC is protected by a bubble-economy.

A few weeks back on the Kojo Nnamdi Show, they were discussing the cancellation of moving the FBI HQ and how PG County/Fairfax County lost millions on bids that didn't even materialize. And then spoke about the IG report and the validity of the evaluations involved.

Anyways, I called in to mention that it could be cheaper to put the FBI HQ elsewhere in the nation (mid-west for example), and that the Federal Gov't should consider "spreading the wealth" to other areas of the country heading forward. With technology today, I don't see the need for everything to be centralized here.

I though it was a reasonable suggestion, but both he and the guest scoffed at the idea and questioned if I was even a resident of the DMV area. Then hung up. :roll:
Da Fuq is Kojo Nnamdi? :?

Anyway, to the “substance” of your post, you and the late Senator Robert Byrd agree. Move the federal guvmint to WVA and watch the savings roll in.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ivytalk wrote:Da Fuq is Kojo Nnamdi? :?

Anyway, to the “substance” of your post, you and the late Senator Robert Byrd agree. Move the federal guvmint to WVA and watch the savings roll in.
He's a prominent radio host that has a daily show covering the local area, and another which covers local politics. If you listen to WAMU (NPR), there's no way you've missed him. He's been around since the 80s; I remember my parents listening to his shows even as a young child.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:Da Fuq is Kojo Nnamdi? :?

He's a prominent radio host that has a daily show covering the local area, and another which covers local politics. If you listen to NPR (WAMU), there's no way you've missed him. He's been around since the 80s; I remember my parents listening to his shows even as a young child.
Well, I’m not from DC, and I don’t listen often to NPR, so there’s that.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Not surprised they questioned your residency. It is probably not every day they run across somebody who honestly wants to give up their own wealth and power to give it to somebody else. That is just opposite of the culture of DC and no good citizen/entity should ever want to give up what they have earned for the less fortunate. Almost sounds like they were conservatives of some sort. You sure you called into the right show?
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

But hey, at least people have jobs. Any job (that's the GOP standard now).

And then Republicans wonder why "it's the economy stupid" isn't speaking to voters. Because unless you have major investments in the market, most Americans aren't reaping the benefits.
You REALLY need to stop spouting that absurdly incorrect drivel if you want to EVER be taken seriously. Infection is NOT outpacing salaries. Inflation is 2.7%. Salary growth YOY is almost 5%.

And Obama’s “recovery” included more underemployed and part time jobs/people than ever before, so there’s that.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

I talk about this all the time, and it makes total sense (which is why the Federal government will never consider it)

DC is an exorbitantly expensive place to live. I will never bid on a DC assignment if I can help it, because I cannot afford the rent there. I was talking to a friend several weeks ago and we discussed what the roadblocks to putting our constituent bureaus for the State Department outside of DC. We already have a huge facility in Charleston, and visa centers in Portsmouth NH and in some place in Kentucky. Why not move the whole thing out of DC? We have missions all over the world and we communicate with each other just fine. The only offices that absolutely have to be in DC are the ones that interact closely with the Hill, and the Secretary's office and executive secretariat.

Congresscritters would leap at the chance to put the Bureau of Consular Affairs in some midwestern state/ somewhere with decent schools so it isn't a hardship to go there. I really think the time has come to get Federal workers out of DC and away from the lobbyist/consultant-driven costs of living
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

The Ag Dept. has asked for proposals from states to move operations about of DC. Unfortunately there are elected officials already coming out against it. :ohno:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote:
dbackjon wrote:
I’m serious. Just put money in the Vanguard S&P index if you’re not seeing gains. You can’t fail in this Trump economy, even if you’re gay, a millennial, or a gay millennial. You have to really work hard to be angry when things are this good. Everybody wins.
This. You have to actively try to find money losing investments right now...been enjoying my monthly Schwab statements since the Trumpster took over. 8-)