Political discussions
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: Trump Tariffs = Tax Hike on all

Post by JohnStOnge »

BTW I know one has to be careful with Wikipedia but I was still kind of interested in what Wikipedia has to say about the guy Cohn lost out to in his battle over tariffs. At least it's the guy I saw a female talking head saying Cohn lost out to and I've seen him arguing the tariff's thing. So I Google him and the first thing I see from Wikipedia is this:
Peter Kent Navarro (born July 15, 1949) is an American liberal economist
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Navarro

Part of me asks "WTF?" and another part isn't surprised.

If Trump, as a Republican, continues to stick with this it's going to get interesting.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:
houndawg wrote:
he wasn't really under the radar, everybody knew who he was from his time with Procul Harum
When you play guitar and your band's most iconic song doesn't feature guitar, you're under the radar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullshit. Procul Harum was very big and everybody with an interest in music, which was everybody, knew who played guitar for them.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

JohnStOnge wrote:"Bridge of Sighs" was one of my favorite 8 track tapes then cassette tapes then CDs ever. I used to love to get high while driving and listen to that.

The guitar stuff that starts at about 1 minute into "Little Bit of Sympathy" and continues through about 1:50 is one of my favorite guitar things ever. Really, really good when you're huffing pot.

phpBB [video]
I saw that tour.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

houndawg wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
When you play guitar and your band's most iconic song doesn't feature guitar, you're under the radar.

Bullshit. Procul Harum was very big and everybody with an interest in music, which was everybody, knew who played guitar for them.
I'm just sayin

Procul Harem is known for the Hammond B3 with a fuzzy Leslie amp

and one song

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:
houndawg wrote:

I'm just sayin

Procul Harem is known for the Hammond B3 with a fuzzy Leslie amp

and one song

Maybe now that's true and maybe you were a bit out of touch in your part of the country, but Conquistador and MacArthur Park were both getting a lot of airplay along with Whiter Shade of Pale and Trower was also a lead vocalist. Neither he nor Procul Harum were under the radar, in fact they were pretty cutting edge.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

dbackjon wrote:BREAKING: President Trump’s top economic adviser Gary Cohn has resigned just hours after President Trump insisted there was no “chaos” at the White House and “everybody” wanted to work there.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... hite-house
Damn. One of the few Goldman Sachs guys I liked, and a sane voice on trade issues. Let’s see how the market reacts.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

“Trade wars aren’t so bad”

“We’ll apply penalties in a loving way”

:lol:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Dow off 157 at 10:30.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ivytalk wrote:Dow off 157 at 10:30.
Futures last night were down more than 400. Dow opened down 200.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Boy am I glad I bought some steel stock a while ago. Thanks Trump. :thumb:

Depending on how this afternoon goes, it might be time to sell. :?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ibanez wrote:Boy am I glad I bought some steel stock a while ago. Thanks Trump. :thumb:

:thumb: :thumb: Trump is the gift that keeps on giving. :lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Ibanez wrote:Boy am I glad I bought some steel stock a while ago. Thanks Trump. :thumb:

:thumb: :thumb: Trump is the gift that keeps on giving. :lol:
Now if he can do something to boost AMD - i'd like to get at least 10% outta that.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ibanez wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: :thumb: :thumb: Trump is the gift that keeps on giving. :lol:
Now if he can do something to boost AMD - i'd like to get at least 10% outta that.
Mid March through Mid May should be "the next leg up" in the market. But semiconductors have been strong recently. AMD will need a strong earnings report from 1st quarter to move. But the bar is high for that sector.
Still not a bad bet where it's at now though.

Oh, and get to work. I need BAC to break out of this trading range and get over 33. :mrgreen:
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

I heard the tariff would raise the price on a 6-pack by $0.01, sure am glad I quit! ain't nobody got money for that!
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Now if he can do something to boost AMD - i'd like to get at least 10% outta that.
Mid March through Mid May should be "the next leg up" in the market. But semiconductors have been strong recently. AMD will need a strong earnings report from 1st quarter to move. But the bar is high for that sector.
Still not a bad bet where it's at now though.

Oh, and get to work. I need BAC to break out of this trading range and get over 33. :mrgreen:
AMD has been down but there was some chatter this week about a takeover which sent it up.

Not sure why SSB went up this week. No earnings report. No news directly related to it. I'm not upset though. I bought it at $40 and it's been between 85-94 for a couple of years.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

We just had a project delayed while the owner re-evaluates if they want to proceed. Funding is already allocated and the estimates were done a month ago, but with the tariff, they're waiting to see how much it's going to affect prices of galvanized ductwork and aluminum HVAC equipment.

I have a hunch the construction industry is about to get hit. We have multiple projects where funding is already allocated based on estimates created long before the tariffs.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Was trying to find the 7pm announcement last night so was flipping through the various news outlets and stumbled across the old, bumbling idiot Chris Matthews on MSNBC. They weren't talking about NK, they were talking about the Trump steel "penalties", had it on the graphic and snail trail. They can't even call them tariffs. :lol: :dunce: :tothehand:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

89Hen wrote:Was trying to find the 7pm announcement last night so was flipping through the various news outlets and stumbled across the old, bumbling idiot Chris Matthews on MSNBC. They weren't talking about NK, they were talking about the Trump steel "penalties", had it on the graphic and snail trail. They can't even call them tariffs. :lol: :dunce: :tothehand:

Well, that is what they are, since Trump is using it to penalize countries if they don't do his bidding.
:thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote:
89Hen wrote:Was trying to find the 7pm announcement last night so was flipping through the various news outlets and stumbled across the old, bumbling idiot Chris Matthews on MSNBC. They weren't talking about NK, they were talking about the Trump steel "penalties", had it on the graphic and snail trail. They can't even call them tariffs. :lol: :dunce: :tothehand:

Well, that is what they are, since Trump is using it to penalize countries if they don't do his bidding.
Kalm has been advocating this for years, Trump is just riding on kalm's coattails. :thumb:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

dbackjon wrote:

That's what a tariff is Jon, but it has a name when it's used this way. Sorry you're so partisan to agree with these childish antics your heroes are pulling. :(
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

∞∞∞ wrote:We just had a project delayed while the owner re-evaluates if they want to proceed. Funding is already allocated and the estimates were done a month ago, but with the tariff, they're waiting to see how much it's going to affect prices of galvanized ductwork and aluminum HVAC equipment.

I have a hunch the construction industry is about to get hit. We have multiple projects where funding is already allocated based on estimates created long before the tariffs.
I was wondering about that. Like when the guy was pointing to cans and talking about how much the metal in them costs I was wondering how much the steel used to build a multi-story office building or something like that costs. Also even the rebar in the reinforced concrete.

I
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

JohnStOnge wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:We just had a project delayed while the owner re-evaluates if they want to proceed. Funding is already allocated and the estimates were done a month ago, but with the tariff, they're waiting to see how much it's going to affect prices of galvanized ductwork and aluminum HVAC equipment.

I was wondering about that. Like when the guy was pointing to cans and talking about how much the metal in them costs I was wondering how much the steel used to build a multi-story office building or something like that costs. Also even the rebar in the reinforced concrete.

I
But if US steel production goes up, who says that they have to sell steel domestically at the same price as foreign steel? And increased US production would reduce the cost of foreign steel before the tariff due to increased supply. Boy, you really don't get economics, do you?
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

89Hen wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

That's what a tariff is Jon, but it has a name when it's used this way. Sorry you're so partisan to agree with these childish antics your heroes are pulling. :(

Childish antics? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

CAA Flagship wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

I
But if US steel production goes up, who says that they have to sell steel domestically at the same price as foreign steel? And increased US production would reduce the cost of foreign steel before the tariff due to increased supply. Boy, you really don't get economics, do you?

Past history has shown that the prices will rise across the board, and steel dependent industries will suffer and job losses will ensue.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

dbackjon wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: But if US steel production goes up, who says that they have to sell steel domestically at the same price as foreign steel? And increased US production would reduce the cost of foreign steel before the tariff due to increased supply. Boy, you really don't get economics, do you?

Past history has shown that the prices will rise across the board, and steel dependent industries will suffer and job losses will ensue.
The price of everything goes up. We went through the Great Recession with oil at $100 and survived.

But seriously, there is no point going through all of this until it happens. This is Trump's chosen "gun to the head" to get other countries to negotiate new trade terms. At least he is trying something, unlike past administrations.