Political discussions
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Trump Tariffs = Tax Hike on all

Post by dbackjon »

The Stock Market knows this, which is why they plunged today.

25% Tariff on imported steel (that Trump was a big user of), 10% on aluminum will fuel inflation, and is a tax hike on every one.

Well done!!
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Trump Tariffs = Tax Hike on all

Post by dbackjon »

On a related note, met with our corporate Tax CPA's today to go over new tax law and impact. The partners that were thanking Trump for the tax cut are in for a nasty surprise - most of them will end up getting a tax hike, once the state/local tax deduction limit is taken into account
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

While I don't like tariffs and have always been a free-trade advocate, I'm confused where Dems are on all of this? First they're for free trade when Clinton was in office, then free trade was evil and unfair when Obama was in office, free trade was bad when Hillary was running for office and the TPP was the greatest evil known to mankind (well, supposedly second right after the RUSSIANS!!!!!), then free trade and the TPP were awesome and super important to have once Trump nixed it and went the other way, and now free trade is cool again now that Trump has gone in the direction of Hawley-Smoot and is throwing up tariffs. The GOP hasn't been much better with regards to trade, and there's a camp in the GOP that's for free trade and a camp that's against it, but they generally stick to their one side of the debate and tend not flip flop depending who's in office.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

It is a tough subject, because you have two conflicting forces - protecting American workers (and vital industries) vs free trade, especially when you have a foreign government unfairly subsidizing an industry.

Most Democrats I know were happy with TPP being scuttled - it was not a bad idea, just very poorly executed and stripped the US of some protections.

As far as NAFTA - I've heard more complaining from the right on it than the left, but that could be a product of being in Arizona vs Penn.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:While I don't like tariffs and have always been a free-trade advocate, I'm confused where Dems are on all of this?
Don't be

Jon spells it out for you all the time, and it follows just one rule:

If the GOP Prez is for it, be against it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote:It is a tough subject, because you have two conflicting forces - protecting American workers (and vital industries) vs free trade, especially when you have a foreign government unfairly subsidizing an industry.

Most Democrats I know were happy with TPP being scuttled - it was not a bad idea, just very poorly executed and stripped the US of some protections.

As far as NAFTA - I've heard more complaining from the right on it than the left, but that could be a product of being in Arizona vs Penn.
I don't pretend that it's not complicated, but the Dems have been far more wishy-washy on it than the GOP has been (like I said, the GOP has two camps on it, but the folks in either camp tend not to move from their positions, so the GOP is split, but you know where each side stands). When folks were complaining about the TPP, it's not like free-trading Dems were saying it just had to be fixed, they sided with the folks that said to just get rid of it (or at least they did until Trump actually got rid of it, and then it was horrible that we scuttled it and we were giving the world to the Chinese).
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:While I don't like tariffs and have always been a free-trade advocate, I'm confused where Dems are on all of this?
Don't be

Sadly, that seems to be accurate.

Btw, where's kalmie? He's probably out in the streets partying now that we're going back to tariffs and trade protection. 1950's here we come!!! :rofl:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

This is one of the potential hard policy type things that worried me about Trump the candidate. I think that if we really do end up putting a 25% tariff on steel that is going to hurt us economically even if it doesn't cause a trade war.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote:It is a tough subject, because you have two conflicting forces - protecting American workers (and vital industries) vs free trade, especially when you have a foreign government unfairly subsidizing an industry.

Yeah, imagine that. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

CID1990 wrote:
Don't be

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Pot meet kettle. god lord your not even trying anymore.

Lawl
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Don't be

Btw, where's kalmie? He's probably out in the streets partying now that we're going back to tariffs and trade protection. 1950's here we come!!! :rofl:
I never followed Klam's trade positions

And when it comes to steel and aluminum, I've said it a million times: they are strategic industries that need to be protected

But a 25/10 tariff is very, very bad

There are other ways to stimulate domestic production ... a much lower tariff is a part of that, but in combination with strategies that lower the costs of domestic production

stamping your feet on the gas with something this big and abrupt is going to hurt us and our allies, too

China will retaliate for sure

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Don't be

Countries should have a right to leverage their natural resources and protect domestic industries for the betterment of their people. That’s called freedom, baby! (And what libertarians describe as rational self interest). Glad to see you’re still a Jack Abrahamoff, corporatist fanboi. :thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

CID1990 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

And when it comes to steel and aluminum, I've said it a million times: they are strategic industries that need to be protected

There are other ways to stimulate domestic production ... a much lower tariff is a part of that, but in combination with strategies that lower the costs of domestic production

stamping your feet on the gas with something this big and abrupt is going to hurt us and our allies, too

How would you lower the cost of domestic production? How do you get someone like Trump (the developer) to not use Chinese steel on his hotels he is getting tax breaks to build in the first place?

And yes, we need domestic steel and aluminum industries to protect our vital interests.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

dbackjon wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

How would you lower the cost of domestic production? How do you get someone like Trump (the developer) to not use Chinese steel on his hotels he is getting tax breaks to build in the first place?

And yes, we need domestic steel and aluminum industries to protect our vital interests.
Well there's no perfect solution, is there?

The tariff is a part of the solution, but not so much that you stifle trade. There's nothing wrong with buying foreign steel for example - but you want there to be some domestic demand and to do that in the US that means favorable corporate tax rates for strategic industries, among other things

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

Countries should have a right to leverage their natural resources and protect domestic industries for the betterment of their people. That’s called freedom, baby! (And what libertarians describe as rational self interest). Glad to see you’re still a Jack Abrahamoff, corporatist fanboi. :thumb:
That has absolutely nothing to do with what I say when I am talking about the steel, aluminum and petroleum industries

Basically reductio ad absurdum on the wrong topic

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

CID1990 wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

The tariff is a part of the solution, but not so much that you stifle trade. There's nothing wrong with buying foreign steel for example - but you want there to be some domestic demand and to do that in the US that means favorable corporate tax rates for strategic industries, among other things

Nope, not an easy solution at all. And taking a sledgehammer approach doesn't work either. Using the tax code would help, as would requirements for companies building using any type of tax credit (hey Raiders - you are getting tax breaks and tax money to build your stadium - to get these, you have to be 100% domestic materials).
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:
kalm wrote:
That has absolutely nothing to do with what I say when I am talking about the steel, aluminum and petroleum industries

Basically reductio ad absurdum on the wrong topic

Um yeah...I quoted Ganny here. Not everything is about you, attention whore.

Remember: Squid, pro, row....
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

First of all Trump doesn't buy Chinese steel...
His contractors do

My brother doesn't buy Canadian lumber
his framing contractor does
My brother has no idea where the lumber in his projects comes from

:nod:

Packages go out for bid...
it's complicated web of inter-related businesses
To solve a problem one must first understand how things "Get Made"

Resource management and procurement of steel wood concrete paint glass
These things have complicated processes
wood needs to sit and age in massive inland warehouses
Steel is stored in I-beam and raw plank in warehousing facilities the size of football stadiums

This idea that Joe buys steel and john buys wood
is good for CNN and Fox news but this sin't quite right
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Read something, but have not verified, that one of the biggest impacts of the aluminum tariff would be on a Russian oligarch that is BFF with Putin.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

dbackjon wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Nope, not an easy solution at all. And taking a sledgehammer approach doesn't work either. Using the tax code would help, as would requirements for companies building using any type of tax credit (hey Raiders - you are getting tax breaks and tax money to build your stadium - to get these, you have to be 100% domestic materials).
There you go - the solutions are out there, but it isn't until someone like a Trump pulls out the sledgehammer that people give a damn

There's very little good to take away from this but if I had to look for one I would say that its good that we might finally have a discussion on why it is important to maintain the ability to immediately ramp up the capability to provide our own steel and aluminum and petroleum domestically. It doesn't mean we actually do it, but maintain the ability to do it.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

HI54UNI wrote:Read something, but have not verified, that one of the biggest impacts of the aluminum tariff would be on a Russian oligarch that is BFF with Putin.

Deripaska?

Nyet, tovarish. He stepped down last week. Good timing!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russian-ty ... 1519388869
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote:
dbackjon wrote:
There you go - the solutions are out there, but it isn't until someone like a Trump pulls out the sledgehammer that people give a damn

There's very little good to take away from this but if I had to look for one I would say that its good that we might finally have a discussion on why it is important to maintain the ability to immediately ramp up the capability to provide our own steel and aluminum and petroleum domestically. It doesn't mean we actually do it, but maintain the ability to do it.

Did any of the Obama haters ever recognize when he did something good..? Hardly
Will any Trump hater recognize when he does good... Even if it's not how you'd do it
if good gets done - it gets done

That is the question I have to ask myself weekly now days
Can I see the good of this... will I recognize it when it happens ..?
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Nicht gut. That’s all I have to say.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Will any Trump hater recognize when he does good... Even if it's not how you'd do it

I rarely pay much attention to trade and econ policy but there are a few things (like strategic industries) that I do perk up at

But for the most part I pay attention to foreign policy - and I found Obama and his two Secretaries of State to be severely lacking in just about every way they could be - naive, feckless, arrogant and policy was 100% politically driven

I'm sure there was some other venue where that administration did some beneficial things for the country, but our fp was a continual amateur hour of the lefty kind

now we have something similar of the righty-hawky kind

Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

I rarely pay much attention to trade and econ policy but there are a few things (like strategic industries) that I do perk up at

But for the most part I pay attention to foreign policy - and I found Obama and his two Secretaries of State to be severely lacking in just about every way they could be - naive, feckless, arrogant and policy was 100% politically driven

I'm sure there was some other venue where that administration did some beneficial things for the country, but our fp was a continual amateur hour of the lefty kind

now we have something similar of the righty-hawky kind
Yeah...
I admit freely Trump is an absolute advantage in that regard
and I just wish the "intelligent Left" would admit it too - other than Sam Harris and Joe Rogan

The most hated Leftists (Sam and Joe) are the only ones who actually "get it"

yeah Trump is a boorish cunt with almost no knowledge of the situation but his GUT REACTION is correct
and I'll take that every time over situational meta-political-bull-sh!t

and yes...
He has fucked his child - YES - his wife would stab him in the heart with a dagger
it's that weird in Rome right now

:shock: