Political discussions
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Trump Tariffs = Tax Hike on all

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote:Image

Let's hope the Cheeto in Chief knows what he's doing (though I won't hold my breath.)
Yay tariffs! :lol: :lol:

He'd better hope this Russian Roulette form of politics works again, and those countries who have tariffs on our goods remove them to prevent these actions. Or he WILL have a giant recession right as his first term is ending....
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

I don't know what the answer is...
But I do know we've been getting fleeced in trade

Trump is playing the game no life long politician was ever willing to play
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Chizzang wrote:I don't know what the answer is...
But I do know we've been getting fleeced in trade

Trump is playing the game no life long politician was ever willing to play
:nod: :nod: :nod:
Was JUST having that exact conversation with a coworker.
Lets just hope it doesn't come back to bite him/America in the collective ass. :coffee:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

I heard the Maine lobstermen are complaining because China is one of their main importers. $7-8 lobster meat, skyrocketing. Fuck those chinkc. I'll vow to make up the difference. $6 lobster vs $7 chicken, win win.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Administration must be thinking this is going to be a long haul. Going to bail out the farmers now. Or at least more than we already do.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

HI54UNI wrote:Administration must be thinking this is going to be a long haul. Going to bail out the farmers now. Or at least more than we already do.
I talked to a few Sussex County farmers last weekend at a party. They were all hit to some extent by China’s retaliatory ag tariffs. But they all think we should have hit the Red Chinese 50 years ago.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Ivytalk wrote: I talked to a few Sussex County farmers last weekend at a party. They were all hit to some extent by China’s retaliatory ag tariffs. But they all think we should have hit the Red Chinese 50 years ago.
Pretty much the same thing I have heard from farmers/ranchers in my area. They are feeling the squeeze a bit but say that it is worth it if China starts playing fair.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

andy7171 wrote:I heard the Maine lobstermen are complaining because China is one of their main importers. $7-8 lobster meat, skyrocketing. Fuck those chinkc. I'll vow to make up the difference. $6 lobster vs $7 chicken, win win.
So are soybean farmers who thought China was going to be a huge buyer. But don't worry - we're going to bail them out.
The government announced a $12 billion plan Tuesday to assist farmers who have been hurt by President Donald Trump's trade disputes with China and other trading partners.

The plan focuses on Midwest soybean producers and others targeted by retaliatory measures.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireSto ... s-56776822
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Tariffs have been wreaking havoc in my industry (commercial and public engineering/construction). We've slowed down as clients search for more funding for new projects or simply cancel them.

Let's invest into our infrastructure but beforehand, make it more expensive.

/fail
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

No impact yet in my industry (Industrial and Technical Materials) - we have pretty established domestic and foreign suppliers so we just switch as needed from a price point. We sell everywhere so no major impact yet. Can't be a long term option (i.e. tariffs), probably going to be a question of who blinks first.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote:No impact yet in my industry (Industrial and Technical Materials) - we have pretty established domestic and foreign suppliers so we just switch as needed from a price point. We sell everywhere so no major impact yet. Can't be a long term option (i.e. tariffs), probably going to be a question of who blinks first.
:nod: :nod: :nod:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Ibanez wrote:
andy7171 wrote:I heard the Maine lobstermen are complaining because China is one of their main importers. $7-8 lobster meat, skyrocketing. Fuck those chinkc. I'll vow to make up the difference. $6 lobster vs $7 chicken, win win.
So are soybean farmers who thought China was going to be a huge buyer. But don't worry - we're going to bail them out.
The government announced a $12 billion plan Tuesday to assist farmers who have been hurt by President Donald Trump's trade disputes with China and other trading partners.

The plan focuses on Midwest soybean producers and others targeted by retaliatory measures.

Does this welfare require drug testing?
:thumb:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

dbackjon wrote:
Ibanez wrote: So are soybean farmers who thought China was going to be a huge buyer. But don't worry - we're going to bail them out.

Relax. It's just tariff revenues being re-injected into the economy.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

CAA Flagship wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Relax. It's just tariff revenues being re-injected into the economy.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:thumb:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Let's hope the Cheeto in Chief knows what he's doing (though I won't hold my breath.)
He doesn't know what he's doing. He is a person who lucked into a lot. He won the Presidency. But he did so largely because of factors that had nothing to do with him. Like the Democrats sticking with a candidate who was under FBI investigation and the Russians coming in to lend a hand. He inherited an economy that was doing well. So on and so forth.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

JohnStOnge wrote:

He doesn't know what he's doing. He is a person who lucked into a lot. He won the Presidency. But he did so largely because of factors that had nothing to do with him. Like the Democrats sticking with a candidate who was under FBI investigation and the Russians coming in to lend a hand. He inherited an economy that was doing well. So on and so forth.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

CAA Flagship wrote:Image
Aside from the context of war which doesn't apply here, the key words are "good plan."

While I can appreciate Patton's sentiment, it's easy to incorrectly apply this way of thinking in places where it's not appropriate. Faster isn't always better, especially if the end product suffers as a result.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

∞∞∞ wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:Image
Aside from the context of war which doesn't apply here, the key words are "good plan."

While I can appreciate Patton's sentiment, it's easy to incorrectly apply this way of thinking in places where it's not appropriate. Faster isn't always better, especially if the end product suffers as a result.
I agree. I have always been somewhere in the middle of speed and research when making a decision. I prefer to have as much information as possible before I make a decision, but sometimes you have to forge ahead due to time constraints.

For Trump, the time constraints are several factors. The first being the limits of his term. The second being the strength of the economy. I have heard a lot of complaining about the tariffs, while at the same time agreeing that we have been getting screwed for a long time, but I haven't heard any plans that are different than what we have already tried. It's a bold move. If he pulls it off, it will be great for America, and some other countries operating at a trade deficit. If not, we can call off the dogs.

But we are in a position of strength. You can't win a tariff war if you are a surplus nation. Eventually you run out of ammo. I think this plan of action has gone through a lot of thought. I think we have calculated every retaliatory move that can be made and determined that we can withstand them all. The thing I'm wondering about is how we will address the strengthening dollar. It will be interesting to see what happens with that. An overly strong dollar is the only hope our trading partners have at winning this.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

CAA Flagship wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Aside from the context of war which doesn't apply here, the key words are "good plan."

I agree. I have always been somewhere in the middle of speed and research when making a decision. I prefer to have as much information as possible before I make a decision, but sometimes you have to forge ahead due to time constraints.

For Trump, the time constraints are several factors. The first being the limits of his term. The second being the strength of the economy. I have heard a lot of complaining about the tariffs, while at the same time agreeing that we have been getting screwed for a long time, but I haven't heard any plans that are different than what we have already tried. It's a bold move. If he pulls it off, it will be great for America, and some other countries operating at a trade deficit. If not, we can call off the dogs.

But we are in a position of strength. You can't win a tariff war if you are a surplus nation. Eventually you run out of ammo. I think this plan of action has gone through a lot of thought. I think we have calculated every retaliatory move that can be made and determined that we can withstand them all. The thing I'm wondering about is how we will address the strengthening dollar. It will be interesting to see what happens with that. An overly strong dollar is the only hope our trading partners have at winning this.
Weird...^ I completely agree
and as far as the dollar getting too strong isn't that where the Federal Reserve comes into play..?
Joe knows more about this than I do - somebody go get Joltin' Joe

Can't the Fed just do a crazy over printing of cash ..?

Somebody tell me we've got a way of keeping the dollar where it's at presently
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

CAA Flagship wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Aside from the context of war which doesn't apply here, the key words are "good plan."

It's a bold move. If he pulls it off, it will be great for America, and some other countries operating at a trade deficit. If not, we can call off the dogs.
This right here ^^^^

The beauty of a trade war is you can quit and go back to the starting line at any time - and your opponents will happily follow suit (especially if they were screwing you before)

That's why I think that only the most vocal of the Trump critics are complaining about the tariff - because for them it is more about opposing Trump than anything else

My impression is that there are a LOT of people, even Trump opponents, who are taking a wait and see approach with this - because I think they recognize that no matter how you slice it, the worst thing that can happen is we just wind up back where we started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

It's not as easy as saying, "oh it's not working, let's go back." That's not how the global economy, or human nature in general, tends to work. :?
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

∞∞∞ wrote:It's not as easy as saying, "oh it's not working, let's go back." That's not how the global economy, or human nature in general, tends to work. :?
Oh Yeah... maybe you haven't met our President...
He is completely capable and just pathological enough to pull that stunt off

:nod:

Love him / Hate him / whatever...
He's the perfect man for this stunt right here - no lifer politician would touch this
and nobody knows how it will turn out and I like that

Just for the record I think he's a ridiculous twat
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Chizzang wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:It's not as easy as saying, "oh it's not working, let's go back." That's not how the global economy, or human nature in general, tends to work. :?

He's the perfect man for this stunt right here - no lifer politician would touch this

In what world has he shown to be capable of pulling that off? The man barely takes advice, let alone reverses his own decisions. If anything, he'll double-down on the stupid and attempt to gaslight the public.

The next President might be able to..."Sorry about the last guy, we were all drunk that day."
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote:Tariffs have been wreaking havoc in my industry (commercial and public engineering/construction). We've slowed down as clients search for more funding for new projects or simply cancel them.

Let's invest into our infrastructure but beforehand, make it more expensive.

/fail
:?
We have multiple project going on at our plant in which the contractors are having problems finding enough heavy equipment to rent. Must be an ECB thing.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

In what world has he shown to be capable of pulling that off? The man barely takes advice, let alone reverses his own decisions. If anything, he'll double-down on the stupid and attempt to gaslight the public.

The next President might be able to..."Sorry about the last guy, we were all drunk that day."
Because he's capable of making it his idea and taking credit or dishing off the blame
He's just pathologically insane enough to make this work

Look, rejoice that we've found the one thing he can actually do...

:lol: