JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: Trump Tariffs = Tax Hike on all

Post by JohnStOnge »

houndawg wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:"Bridge of Sighs" was one of my favorite 8 track tapes then cassette tapes then CDs ever. I used to love to get high while driving and listen to that.

The guitar stuff that starts at about 1 minute into "Little Bit of Sympathy" and continues through about 1:50 is one of my favorite guitar things ever. Really, really good when you're huffing pot.

phpBB [video]
I saw that tour.
Did you like it?
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

JohnStOnge wrote:
houndawg wrote:
I saw that tour.
Did you like it?
Probably - it was at a Day on the Green at Oakland Coliseum and we had an Igloo full of electric wine. Fleetwood Mac was there, when they still rocked before the poodles joined the band.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

89Hen wrote:Was trying to find the 7pm announcement last night so was flipping through the various news outlets and stumbled across the old, bumbling idiot Chris Matthews on MSNBC. They weren't talking about NK, they were talking about the Trump steel "penalties", had it on the graphic and snail trail. They can't even call them tariffs. :lol: :dunce: :tothehand:
Hey 89... you know anybody who has a bunch of shares in Alcoa?

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/09/59955763 ... ts-technol
McGahn applauds the Trump administration's efforts to get tough on China over trade issues.

"President Bush and President Obama — they had very strong words with China about intellectual property theft," he says. "This is the first time there are consequences ascribed to the Chinese behavior."

"I do understand that a lot of people think this is a trade war," McGahn adds. "This isn't the beginning of a trade war — this is the next battle in a trade war that's more than a decade old."
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

houndawg wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
I'm just sayin

Procul Harem is known for the Hammond B3 with a fuzzy Leslie amp

and one song

Maybe now that's true and maybe you were a bit out of touch in your part of the country, but Conquistador and MacArthur Park were both getting a lot of airplay along with Whiter Shade of Pale and Trower was also a lead vocalist. Neither he nor Procul Harum were under the radar, in fact they were pretty cutting edge.
CID's a little too young to have been there. Whiter Shade was a hit for the guys at the Jr High dance, and the Canadian stations gave all 3 songs a lot of play between the Guess Who and Neil Young songs.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Gil Dobie wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Maybe now that's true and maybe you were a bit out of touch in your part of the country, but Conquistador and MacArthur Park were both getting a lot of airplay along with Whiter Shade of Pale and Trower was also a lead vocalist. Neither he nor Procul Harum were under the radar, in fact they were pretty cutting edge.
CID's a little too young to have been there. Whiter Shade was a hit for the guys at the Jr High dance, and the Canadian stations gave all 3 songs a lot of play between the Guess Who and Neil Young songs.
Theres a band I never did warm up to.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

houndawg wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Why can't you just tell us? Don't make us guess. :silly:
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

The left loves taxes.....................

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

CAA Flagship wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Why can't you just tell us? Don't make us guess. :silly:
Who?
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Gil Dobie wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Why can't you just tell us? Don't make us guess. :silly:
Who?
Love the Who :thumb:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Top 20 song of all time:

phpBB [video]
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Top 20 song of all time:

phpBB [video]
I like the long version, and Randy Bachman on guitar.

phpBB [video]
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Top 20 song of all time:

phpBB [video]

Maybe toward the bottom of the Top 5,000.. :ohno:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Looks like Xi gave us a half blink

Theyre open to reducing their restrictions on US autos

Which really isnt a concession now, since their own cars are getting close to being competitive

When they get rid of the tech transfer riders in their business licensing contracts then we'll know the tariff may have worked... but I still doubt it

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

CID1990 wrote:Looks like Xi gave us a half blink

Which really isnt a concession now, since their own cars are getting close to being competitive

When they get rid of the tech transfer riders in their business licensing contracts then we'll know the tariff may have worked... but I still doubt it

I was hoping for a longer drawn out battle. I really needed the market to take a bigger dip than it did. :x
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Xi needs a new Escalade. And Americans will never buy Chinese cars. Pieces of crap, I tell you.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ivytalk wrote:

Xi needs a new Escalade. And Americans will never buy Chinese cars. Pieces of crap, I tell you.
What about cars made in China? The Buick Envision and some Volvos are made in China, and the newest Ford Focus will be entirely produced there as well. We've embraced Mexican-made cars, so why not Chinese?

And of course, the Chinese already make a lot of car parts, both domestic and foreign.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:
What about cars made in China? The Buick Envision and some Volvos are already made in China, and the newest Ford Focus will be entirely produced there as well. We've already embraced Mexican-made cars, so why not China if the quality controls are there?

And of course, the Chinese already make a lot of car parts, both domestic and foreign.
Not sure “embraced” is the right word. I looked at a Mexican-made Ford Fusion the other day, and I found a family of four in the trunk. 8-)
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ivytalk wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: What about cars made in China? The Buick Envision and some Volvos are already made in China, and the newest Ford Focus will be entirely produced there as well. We've already embraced Mexican-made cars, so why not China if the quality controls are there?

Not sure “embraced” is the right word. I looked at a Mexican-made Ford Fusion the other day, and I found a family of four in the trunk. 8-)
Did they prefer hard tacos or soft?
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:
What about cars made in China? The Buick Envision and some Volvos are made in China, and the newest Ford Focus will be entirely produced there as well. We've embraced Mexican-made cars, so why not Chinese?

I'm glad you brought this up! I touched on it before.

Did you know that every time a US company produces a product in China, after a certain period of time they are required to turn over the trade secrets to the PRC government? That is a rider in every single production license issued to foreign companies in China.

Put simply, in return for the cheap labor we give you, you give us your trade secrets after a prescribed period of time.

The Chinese already have ALL of the tech that goes into the iphone. Want a cheap iphone? Get a Huawei. They are already gobbling market share in Asia.

To Ivy's point about sh1t Chinese products.... I've driven Chinese made vehicles... motorcycles and SUVs. I drove them in Vietnam in 2010. I've driven them this year, and been to motor shows here in Bangkok. The difference is like the difference between a 1938 Lincoln (had one) and a 2009 4Runner. The Chinese did it in less than ten years, and it is solely due to legally binding tech transfer contracts.

The Chinese are within 5 years of being even with us in terms of quality control on automobiles. And in dog years, they are still 50 behind us. Americans don't grasp what is happening to them in the name of cheap sneakers, smartphones, cars.

The real issue here though, is manufacturing techniques... processes.
The Chinese will be producing tanks, aircraft, ships, and submarines far superior to our own in 20 years. They synthesize EVERYTHING- all the processes, all the proprietary alloys... everything.

We sell it all to them for the right to have their serfs produce our useless crap

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

CID1990 wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: What about cars made in China? The Buick Envision and some Volvos are made in China, and the newest Ford Focus will be entirely produced there as well. We've embraced Mexican-made cars, so why not Chinese?

Did you know that every time a US company produces a product in China, after a certain period of time they are required to turn over the trade secrets to the PRC government? That is a rider in every single production license issued to foreign companies in China.

Put simply, in return for the cheap labor we give you, you give us your trade secrets after a prescribed period of time.

The Chinese already have ALL of the tech that goes into the iphone. Want a cheap iphone? Get a Huawei. They are already gobbling market share in Asia.

To Ivy's point about sh1t Chinese products.... I've driven Chinese made vehicles... motorcycles and SUVs. I drove them in Vietnam in 2010. I've driven them this year, and been to motor shows here in Bangkok. The difference is like the difference between a 1938 Lincoln (had one) and a 2009 4Runner. The Chinese did it in less than ten years, and it is solely due to legally binding tech transfer contracts.

The Chinese are within 5 years of being even with us in terms of quality control on automobiles. And in dog years, they are still 50 behind us. Americans don't grasp what is happening to them in the name of cheap sneakers, smartphones, cars.

The Chinese will be producing tanks, aircraft, ships, and submarines far superior to our own in 20 years. They synthesize EVERYTHING- all the processes, all the proprietary alloys... everything.

We sell it all to them for the right to have their serfs produce our useless crap

I did know this and I'm probably part of the American majority - I don't care. You're talking to a generation, including myself, that literally lives in a connected world that shares everything.

I'm not paranoid about Chinese military or technological superiority. In fact, I think this is how humanity should work - sharing ideas and working off each other in order to raise all nations.

We're also at a point where a war between major powers is going nuclear anyways, so why should I care if China can make a better airplane or ship or tank? Or have a better military in general? Let's share the next century or two together as superpowers...there's really no reason for animosity. Otherwise we just become another Russia trolling the world to stroke egos.

So yeah, I'm ok with not being #1.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

∞∞∞ wrote:
I did know this and I'm probably part of the American majority - I don't care. You're talking to a generation, including myself, that literally lives in a connected world that shares everything.

I'm not paranoid about Chinese military or technological superiority. In fact, I think this is how humanity should work - sharing ideas and working off each other in order to raise all nations.

We're also at a point where a war between major powers is going nuclear anyways, so why should I care if China can make a better airplane or ship or tank? Or have a better military in general? Let's share the next century or two together as superpowers...there's really no reason for animosity. Otherwise we just become another Russia trolling the world to stroke egos.

:suspicious: Guess everybody needs a pipe dream.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Winterborn wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:

I suggest reading this book: http://a.co/a2Oxinj

Our nations go a long way back in terms of economic and social relations, from the birth of the United States until today. In fact, our relationship with China is only second to France.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Winterborn wrote:
I suggest reading this book: http://a.co/a2Oxinj

Our nations go a long way back in terms of economic and social relations, from the birth of the United States until today. In fact, our relationship with China is only second to France.
I am well aware of ours and China's history. Holding hands and singing songs around a fire is not something I would recommend with them. Their cultural mindset is that they will wind up on top, just like they were in the past. They tend to think in multi generational terms and us being stupid with tech knowledge is just icing on the cake to them.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

It isn’t about being number one. That’s where you and the rest are naive as hell. It is about being sovereign. In the next generation, China’s foreign policy is going to be dictatorial ... much in the same way ours is

Except that China demands access to markets and political favor in return for infrastructure handouts, with no behavioral strings attached.

We demand the same things, in exchange for respect for human rights, and good governance

Your grandchildren are going to have a very different view of China, if they are actually allowed to express it