Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Re: Take The Guns First, Go Through Due Process Second

Post by Col Hogan »

BDKJMU wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
But it's a good point - you can't refuse to sell to people because they're Black, so no matter what the sign says you don't have that right (heck, dawg, you're starting to sound like JSO).

It is interesting, I'm sure both Walmart and Dick's could be sued if all they do is set an age limit that's not tied to an actual law. Of course, they could just decide not to sell guns altogether, and that would be fine. Restricting ages, however noble, does seem to run afoul of the law.

With that said, I'm all in favor of making the ages for long guns and handguns the same anyway. Let's make it 21 across the board at the federal level and then the question of retailers being sued goes away.
How would that be constitutional, denying a constitutional right to an entire section of legal adults?
How do the drinking age laws hold up???
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Col Hogan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: How would that be constitutional, denying a constitutional right to an entire section of legal adults?
See, what I would do when I was underage is either take alcohol from people who legally purchased it or beg somebody who was legal to illegally purchase it for me.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

93henfan wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:
See, what I would do when I was underage is either take alcohol from people who legally purchased it or beg somebody who was legal to illegally purchase it for me.
But guns would not work that way....will they???

:roll:

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Your point is well taken. I was going to add “fake ID”, but background checks on guns are fake ID proof.

By the way, the NICS system in working very well nowadays. The shop I bought from this morning is still using the old paper and pen ATF-4473. When I was done with the form, the girl took it and went in the back room. I started walking around the shop to browse, figuring I was in for at least a ten minute wait.

I didn’t get all the way down the ammo row before she said “you’re good to go, sir.”

Two minutes tops.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Holy shit - I actually agree with BDKDMU on something My opinion is if you're an adult at 18 with all the legal responsibilities of an adult then you should be able to purchase any legal gun, alcohol etc.
:thumb:
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

dbackjon wrote:Holy shit - I actually agree with BDKDMU on something My opinion is if you're an adult at 18 with all the legal responsibilities of an adult then you should be able to purchase any legal gun, alcohol etc.
....and holy shit I agree with you on something. :lol: I think we need to define adulthood and you either get all the benefits or none of them. Maybe it's 18, maybe 21....we let 16 year olds pilot a 4,000 lb missile down the highways, let 18 year olds help select people for public office and serve in the military, but let both groups to drink or maybe purchase weapons at 21? Seems odd to train an 18 yo in basic training how to shoot and completely take apart every weapon platform they use, but then they can't even buy a personal weapon until they hit a certain age.
Some kids are truly adults at 18, but there are 40 year olds that aren't mature enough to be adults. Crazy doesn't begin or end at a certain age.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Col Hogan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: How would that be constitutional, denying a constitutional right to an entire section of legal adults?
What constitutional amendment does the right to drink alcohol shall not be infringed fall under?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

dbackjon wrote:Holy **** - I actually agree with BDKDMU on something My opinion is if you're an adult at 18 with all the legal responsibilities of an adult then you should be able to purchase any legal gun, alcohol etc.
I was just about to say the same thing to your earlier post. Hell hath frozen over..

Legal adult is legal adult. Legal adults should be able to purchase legal products, period. And that should be at whatever age is deemed legal adult. Right now that is 18..If the govt wants to make it 21 for purchasing firearms, then fine, a legal adult shouldn't be considered until 21 for everything else (voting, serving in the military, serving on a jury, being tried as an adult, being able to legally care for oneself, sign legal docs, obtain licenses, etc...).
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

BDKJMU wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:
What constitutional amendment does the right to drink alcohol shall not be infringed fall under?
None...States notionally set the age of drinking...but the feds issued the threat to cut off highway funds to a state that did not comply...

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Col Hogan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: What constitutional amendment does the right to drink alcohol shall not be infringed fall under?
None...States notionally set the age of drinking...but the feds issued the threat to cut off highway funds to a state that did not comply...
Changing the subject slightly ....

But I have brought up this precise scenario before as the courts approved precedent for why sanctuary cities are going to lose the funding battle (regardless of the appellate court decisions in the interim)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote:
dbackjon wrote:Holy **** - I actually agree with BDKDMU on something My opinion is if you're an adult at 18 with all the legal responsibilities of an adult then you should be able to purchase any legal gun, alcohol etc.
I was just about to say the same thing to your earlier post. Hell hath frozen over..

Legal adult is legal adult. Legal adults should be able to purchase legal products, period. And that should be at whatever age is deemed legal adult. Right now that is 18..If the govt wants to make it 21 for purchasing firearms, then fine, a legal adult shouldn't be considered until 21 for everything else (voting, serving in the military, serving on a jury, being tried as an adult, being able to legally care for oneself, sign legal docs, obtain licenses, etc...).

No sense in coming here for fun any more... :ohno:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
But it's a good point - you can't refuse to sell to people because they're Black, so no matter what the sign says you don't have that right (heck, dawg, you're starting to sound like JSO).

It is interesting, I'm sure both Walmart and Dick's could be sued if all they do is set an age limit that's not tied to an actual law. Of course, they could just decide not to sell guns altogether, and that would be fine. Restricting ages, however noble, does seem to run afoul of the law.

With that said, I'm all in favor of making the ages for long guns and handguns the same anyway. Let's make it 21 across the board at the federal level and then the question of retailers being sued goes away.
How would that be constitutional, denying a constitutional right to an entire section of legal adults?
We already deny it to people. Where in the Constitution does it say you have to be 18 or older to own a gun? Use it as a framework and adjust our laws based on the need (that's the way Jefferson wanted it.)
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

The liberals and gun grabbers have a new ally in their battle to rape legal gun owners of this country...

Since its not a verified account, this could be a parody... :rofl:

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

As opposed to the Russian inflitration/funding of the NRA?
:thumb:
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

I find it super weird that countries with strict gun control laws don't have nearly the same number of shootings. Yes, they occur, but not on the same level. But that doesn't make sense because the only way to fix things is to eliminate gun free zones.WTF is even going on.