Political discussions
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: Breaking: Active Shooter Just Off National Mall in DC

Post by CID1990 »

93henfan wrote:I think USAID should be in Rehoboth Beach DE.
Betcha it doesn't cost 30K to build a parking space there, does it?

Can't get a decent half-smoke, but its a small price to pay

Hell if they move USAID to my hometown it would help a NC county that's in sadder shape than many of the foreign countries they provide aid to

and plenty of free parking and wilderness

win-win-win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

CID1990 wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

You have a disagreement with the numbers? Please share your wisdom, since you pride yourself as the authority on every subject.
It isn't surprising that someone like you wouldn't question why building a parking space in a manufactured town that nobody really likes costs 30K

rather than wondering why USAID has to be in DC at all, and not Duluth or Peoria

I've got no issue with your numbers, just your complacency and acceptance of them

Two separate issues. Should all agencies be in the DC area, or should Dept of Ag be in Des Moines, Bureau of indian affairs in Phoenix, etc.

Where can you attract the talent needed, and infrastructure to support a large agency - would an agency be as effective in Salt Lake as DC?
:thumb:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

WTF is this thread about anyway?
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

dbackjon wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
It isn't surprising that someone like you wouldn't question why building a parking space in a manufactured town that nobody really likes costs 30K

rather than wondering why USAID has to be in DC at all, and not Duluth or Peoria

I've got no issue with your numbers, just your complacency and acceptance of them

Two separate issues. Should all agencies be in the DC area, or should Dept of Ag be in Des Moines, Bureau of indian affairs in Phoenix, etc.

Where can you attract the talent needed, and infrastructure to support a large agency - would an agency be as effective in Salt Lake as DC?
Where could you attract it in northern Virginia in 1900?

All you need is an internet connection and an airport within a few miles

Sounds awfully like a "that would never work" Republican kind of argument youre trying to develop there

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

kalm wrote:WTF is this thread about anyway?

If you can't keep up, just ask Chizzang
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

CID1990 wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Sounds awfully like a "that would never work" Republican kind of argument youre trying to develop there

Didn't say it wouldn't work. Even mentioned some possible agencies to move. But also have to keep in mind where talent want to live - and increasingly, it is in cities/large metro areas. It's why Caterpillar is moving to the Chicago area from Peoria - even a 100K city is too small for a lot of people.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

93's machine gun-esque bowel movements.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

dbackjon wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Didn't say it wouldn't work. Even mentioned some possible agencies to move. But also have to keep in mind where talent want to live - and increasingly, it is in cities/large metro areas. It's why Caterpillar is moving to the Chicago area from Peoria - even a 100K city is too small for a lot of people.
Talent? What talent?

Or as Dal would say, "What talent!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

:rofl:

:notworthy:

No wonder you're a big government pogue, Jon- you think there's talent in government. You could send 65% of the Federal administrative workforce home and nobody would notice, and those agencies would actually work more efficiently. Last time I checked, CAT was a public company, in the business of making money and minimizing costs. Government is the opposite of that.

And you know what? Fvck where government workers want to work. We've been doing that to the military for 200 years and they've been fine. You can do stuff in Fayetteville, NC and Twenty Nine Palms just like you can in DC. With less traffic and clean air.

What if I complained to you about living in Lagos or San Salvador? What would you say?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Grizalltheway wrote:
93's machine gun-esque bowel movements.
Ok...thanks. I thought it was about the Cosby kids or something.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

CID1990 wrote:
dbackjon wrote:
Talent? What talent?

No wonder you're a big government pogue, Jon- you think there's talent in government. You could send 65% of the Federal administrative workforce home and nobody would notice, and those agencies would actually work more efficiently. Last time I checked, CAT was a public company, in the business of making money and minimizing costs. Government is the opposite of that.

And you know what? Fvck where government workers want to work. We've been doing that to the military for 200 years and they've been fine. You can do stuff in Fayetteville, NC and Twenty Nine Palms just like you can in DC. With less traffic and clean air.

What if I complained to you about living in Lagos or San Salvador? What would you say?

Get a new job :)

So you are saying 93 is expendable?
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

dbackjon wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Talent? What talent?

Get a new job :)

So you are saying 93 is expendable?
93 would be expendable even if he didn't have a job.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Transit subsidy was increased to $255/month last year.

Thanks liberals and green initiatives for saving me money and driving frustration! :thumb:

You are thoughtful people.

In the long run, far cheaper - a parking space in a garage in DC starts around $30,000 to build (cost of land, parking structure) and goes up from there, likely around $50-60K PER space just to build, plus maintenance, staffing, etc. Your subsidy costs $3K per year, so just from reducing parking needs, it comes out ahead.
I'm betting the amount of land needed for a parking structure is far more expensive than $30k. But I understand your point. $30k probably wouldn't cover the GCs fee.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I'm with CID; there's no reason to keep the government centralized in DC. It made sense back when there wasn't the communication infrastructure available now, but at this point, there's a lot of communities and people that can benefit from the jobs of a (physically) de-centralized government.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:I'm with CID; there's no reason to keep the government centralized in DC. It made sense back when there wasn't the communication infrastructure available now, but at this point, there's a lot of communities and people that can benefit from the jobs of a (physically) de-centralized government.
DC area property owners just threw tomatoes in your direction. :lol:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:I'm with CID; there's no reason to keep the government centralized in DC. It made sense back when there wasn't the communication infrastructure available now, but at this point, there's a lot of communities and people that can benefit from the jobs of a (physically) de-centralized government.
So what's the logical location for certain agencies. What's more logical than a piece of land that was specifically carved out and designed to be a federal city - not beholden to the whims or politics of any one state (in theory)?
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

I also think it makes sense to spread out the federal bureaucracy.

Where each agency should go would be a complicated process and would never get done. I think moving them to Murican shitholes like West Virginia and Detroit would be best. But, those places have less money that would be needed to get the agencies. They'd probably just end up going to states like Texas and California. But, if they could be moved to help reinvigorate cities or regions left behind - I'm all for it.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

Ibanez wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: But he sits up front.
That's more about load distribution. You can't have all the waterheads in the back. :coffee:
Waterheads is a G8 term ya homopussyfaggott!
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

andy7171 wrote:
Ibanez wrote: That's more about load distribution. You can't have all the waterheads in the back. :coffee:
Waterheads is a G8 term ya homopussyfaggott!
I liked you better when you were drinking. :coffee:

:mrgreen:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Ibanez wrote:
andy7171 wrote: Waterheads is a G8 term ya homopussyfaggott!
I liked you better when you were drinking. :coffee:
:mrgreen:
Wait, Andy stopped drinking? :o
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

State is already spreading out. We have a huge operation in Charleston. Also Portsmouth NH and a consular center in KY. And doing this with agencies would not be hard... in fact it would be the easiest thing government has done in a long time. Does anyone doubt that congresscritters would be trampling their own grandmothers to get a federal agency based in their states? You betcha
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:
So what's the logical location for certain agencies. What's more logical than a piece of land that was specifically carved out and designed to be a federal city - not beholden to the whims or politics of any one state (in theory)?
It did just fine as a federal city back when the government was 1/100th the size it is now

And I can’t speak for other agencies, but our two oldest departments of the executive branch have only about 15% of their physical plants actually in DC

Plus, the people who drove up costs in DC would stay there - the lobbyists- because Congress won’t go anywhere. DC was intended for the Pres, Congress, and the high court

All else can fvck off to other places and we’d all be better off for it
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Ibanez wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

In the long run, far cheaper - a parking space in a garage in DC starts around $30,000 to build (cost of land, parking structure) and goes up from there, likely around $50-60K PER space just to build, plus maintenance, staffing, etc. Your subsidy costs $3K per year, so just from reducing parking needs, it comes out ahead.
I'm betting the amount of land needed for a parking structure is far more expensive than $30k. But I understand your point. $30k probably wouldn't cover the GCs fee.
That's PER space.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

CID1990 wrote:State is already spreading out. We have a huge operation in Charleston. Also Portsmouth NH and a consular center in KY. And doing this with agencies would not be hard... in fact it would be the easiest thing government has done in a long time. Does anyone doubt that congresscritters would be trampling their own grandmothers to get a federal agency based in their states? You betcha
If Robert Byrd had lived another 10 years, half of the Federal Government would be in West Virginia
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote:
Ibanez wrote:
That's PER space.
Ah...i missed the "per space".

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ibanez wrote: