CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Re: Blue Wave 2018

Post by CAA Flagship »

93henfan wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Her constituents didn't seem to think so.

Then again, maybe they were biased or ill-informed. Maybe she lost b/c she didn't toe the party line and suck up to Trump like everyone seems to be doing these days.

It's just an observation. Mark Sanford did what was right for his district and the country. He was able to disagree with Trump without attacking him. It cost him his seat. :twocents:
You do realize she was a Democrat?
Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Her constituents didn't seem to think so.

Then again, maybe they were biased or ill-informed. Maybe she lost b/c she didn't toe the party line and suck up to Trump like everyone seems to be doing these days.

It's just an observation. Mark Sanford did what was right for his district and the country. He was able to disagree with Trump without attacking him. It cost him his seat. :twocents:
You do realize she was a Democrat?
Yeah. I had her confused with someone else in my head.

I'm talking more in general terms. A congressperson is allowed to not follow the desires of their state or district. There are some issues which the GenPop can't possibly understand all the nuances or the issues. Many of the voters are un-informed. Should we really be catering to people that aren't engaged and just vote straight ticket each election cycle? In fact, it happens all the time. Congressmen and women confuse constituents with those that voted for them. Ralph Norman, when he votes, isn't voting based on what the Democrats and Independents in his district want. I truly believe that no politician today truly represents their constituency...just those that elected them.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Winterborn wrote:Looks like the wave was pretty small. :coffee:

"Blue Wave" is just a metaphor with no real meaning. The practical reality is the Democrats got control of the House of Representatives. The difference between them doing that and not doing that is huge.

Another thing is that there was very high turnout and the voters in toto voted against the Republicans. I'm waiting for the numbers but I heard a talking head say this morning that the margin for Democrats in the House Elections was at 7.5% and may grow as more California votes are counted. The Democrats took the House in spite of years of spectacular gerrymandering effort by Republicans. I think it's reasonable to conclude that Trump and the Republicans who have aligned themselves with him got an overall "thumbs down."

Finally the exit polling suggests trends that are not good at all for Republicans. They suggest that the Republican Party's position as depending on a shrinking, aging base has worsened. Not only did all the groups that traditionally vote Democrat vote Democrat in proportions consistent with history. Groups that have traditionally voted Republicans switched to voting majority Democrat. Dark clouds are gathering. They'd better enjoy where they are now because the future is not bright.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Winterborn wrote:Looks like the wave was pretty small. :coffee:

"Blue Wave" is just a metaphor with no real meaning. The practical reality is the Democrats got control of the House of Representatives. The difference between them doing that and not doing that is huge.

Another thing is that there was very high turnout and the voters in toto voted against the Republicans. I'm waiting for the numbers but I heard a talking head say this morning that the margin for Democrats in the House Elections was at 7.5% and may grow as more California votes are counted. The Democrats took the House in spite of years of spectacular gerrymandering effort by Republicans. I think it's reasonable to conclude that Trump and the Republicans who have aligned themselves with him got an overall "thumbs down."

Finally the exit polling suggests trends that are not good at all for Republicans. They suggest that the Republican Party's position as depending on a shrinking, aging base has worsened. Not only did all the groups that traditionally vote Democrat vote Democrat in proportions consistent with history. Groups that have traditionally voted Republicans switched to voting majority Democrat. Dark clouds are gathering. They'd better enjoy where they are now because the future is not bright.
Nobody cares.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

93henfan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

Nobody cares.
not true... somebody cares
The re-districting and gerrymandering will all come home and land hard

It's actually fascinating
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Ibanez wrote:
Pwns wrote:Bye Bye Beto! ABC calls it for Ted Boobs.

$70 million+ down the drain. :lol:
I wouldn't say that. Boobs didn't win by a sweeping majority. He won by less than 2%, ~151k people.
It’s up to 2.57 per cent...a little over 200k...with 99% counted...

The percent has grown overnight, so I’m still hopeful it can reach the 4% mark...

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018-election-results/
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Chizzang wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Nobody cares.

OK. Keep an eye on that for me.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

93henfan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

I thought you were in this for the long haul ?
You know.. Your Sons and children's children for generations to come..?

:geek:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

Beto spent over $70 million dollars in his unsuccessful Texas Senate race...

Here’s a comparison between 2018 and 2012 for the Democrats in Texas...

US Senate for Texas

2012, Paul Sadler
Raised: $705,027
Votes: 3,194,927
$/Vote: $0.22 each

2018, Beto O'Rourke
Raised: $69,240,350+
Votes (11:33pm ET): 3,413,259+
$/Vote: $20.29 each

https://mobile.twitter.com/greg_doucett ... ips-out%2F

So, for over $20 more a vote, the Democrats got about 200k more votes...

:coffee:

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Col Hogan wrote:Beto spent over $70 million dollars in his unsuccessful Texas Senate race...

US Senate for Texas

2012, Paul Sadler

2018, Beto O'Rourke

And still can’t beat someone who’s almost as likeable as Trump.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

He ran without any outside PAC money. Skews the numbers as what you posted is just campaign money.

Guarantee you Sadler spent a whole lot more than $700k in 2012.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

JohnStOnge wrote: "Blue Wave" is just a metaphor with no real meaning. The practical reality is the Democrats got control of the House of Representatives. The difference between them doing that and not doing that is huge.

JSO, you've got a president that is historically unpopular in his first midterm, and Democrats only made a relatively small splash.

The only thing the new House will do is unite the GOP and force them to circle the wagon around Trump, and elevate a very unpopular Speaker of the House that will create blame diffusion for anything bad that happens.

Plus, we know the House Dems will do whatever they can to sabotage their chances. Trump's chances of getting reelected just went up.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Chizzang wrote:
93henfan wrote:

Unfortunately, I produced white male offspring, so yeah, I know they're fucked. The main unstated platform of the Democratic Party is retribution against such evil white males. You know, because those of us born in the 70s held slaves.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Chizzang wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Nobody cares.

I think you are both right. People should care but outside of a few armchair political experts (some on this board), real political science folks, and the parties themselves, the average person doesn't give :twocents: worth what it means.

A good example might be the next time you are in your regular coffee shop, ask a regular you haven't talked to before and that you will see again, what they know of gerrymandering and give them a brief overview of what it is when they answer they don't know. Then ask them a week from then. My guess is they will remember probably just the name and maybe that the districts resemble snakes (if you use that analogy). They also might remember a distinguished, nicely dressed, older gentlemen (I am assuming you are retirement age or close to it and by your writings you sound old. ;) ) talking to them about it.

But when compared to what their favorite sports team is doing, the weather, or whatever else maybe a priority in their life, it probably doesn't even enter their thoughts.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Skjellyfetti wrote:He ran without any outside PAC money. Skews the numbers as what you posted is just campaign money.

O’Rourke also kept it close while running to the left.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:He ran without any outside PAC money. Skews the numbers as what you posted is just campaign money.

Meh. He was running against Boobs.

I think one of the shocking results was Nelson being so close to Scott in Florida. That should not have been close.
I'm thinking that was overspray voting from the Gillum crowd. That's all I can come up with.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

It’s funny that you believe no PAC money supported Beto in Texas... :dunce:

I had to sit through the TV ads and mailers from left-wing PACs ...are you saying those folks did not support Beto, with a wink and a nod???

Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

You aren't understanding what I'm saying
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote:
kalm wrote:
Meh. He was running against Boobs.
So did Sadler.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Col Hogan wrote:

It’s funny that you believe no PAC money supported Beto in Texas... :dunce:

I had to sit through the TV ads and mailers from left-wing PACs ...are you saying those folks did not support Beto, with a wink and a nod???

I think he's talking about Sadler
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Meh. He was running against Boobs.
So did Sadler.
Cruz wasn't as "known" then.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Col Hogan wrote:Beto spent over $70 million dollars in his unsuccessful Texas Senate race...

US Senate for Texas

2012, Paul Sadler

2018, Beto O'Rourke

He beat the spread against truckloads of dark money. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

93henfan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

Unfortunately, I produced white male offspring, so yeah, I know they're ****. The main unstated platform of the Democratic Party is retribution against such evil white males. You know, because those of us born in the 70s held slaves.

..ever the victim... :ohno:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

houndawg wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Unfortunately, I produced white male offspring, so yeah, I know they're ****. The main unstated platform of the Democratic Party is retribution against such evil white males. You know, because those of us born in the 70s held slaves.

..ever the victim... :ohno:
Hey, I can't control the hate of the left.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote:
kalm wrote:
So did Sadler.
Cruz wasn't as "known" then.
That shouldn't have been a disadvantage.