UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: Blue Wave 2018

Post by UNI88 »

Pwns wrote:
kalm wrote:
You’re either completely delilusional or too young to be aware of the Bush administration, Iraq war, and 90’s right wing talk radio.

We can argue who’s more at fault but to “fully blame” the left for the deteriotiom of discourse is laughable.
What about 90s talk radio? Rush Limbaugh was the only guy that was really prominent back in those days and you don't have to like or respect his opinions but he's not Glenn Beck or Alex Jones and he has never really dealt with conspiracy theories the same way the Kos/moveon nuts do.

The first completely off-the-rails bat-poop nutty opposition to a US president was when Bush was in office. And yes, if you think Bush lied to go to Iraq or stole the election you are on par with Sandy Hook truthers and birthers and other fringe, alternative-facts types.

Like I said, the left aren't the only ones involved in the positive feedback loop, but they are the ones that started it.
I'm a libertarian and I think members of the Bush administration lied to get approval for the iraq invasion.

And this whole off-the-rails opposition to the opposing party has been going on to varying degrees and in various forms almost since the beginning. We've survived it in the past and hopefully we'll survive it this time.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: Blue Wave 2018

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: * deterioration
I thought he was referring to a new element on the periodic table
Well played! :lol:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

93henfan wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
For the same reason that we've had political gridlock for awhile now - neither party really stands for anything other than opposition to the other party. You almost have to go back to 2000 for the last election where the candidates actually seemed to have policies and weren't just "we're not the other party", and even then it resulted in a pretty historically close election. Since then, it's basically been "we're not the other party" and shockingly, outside of Obama's election in '08 (which for obvious historical implications pulled in more voter interest) the voting public has been unenthused. As obnoxious and distasteful as Trump is to the left leaning electorate, with a Democratic party that is still, at least in the eyes of the public, led by someone like Pelosi for a good two decades now, there's no guarantee that that will motivate the electorate.
You are correct, sir.

The 2018 Dems are the not-Trumps, and as Trump keeps filling his resume with big accomplishments like tax cuts and denuclearization of North Korea, not-Trump is becoming a sell. :lol:
They were not-Trumps before Trump was even a candidate back when they somehow couldn't find a second Democrat to run in their primary. I splained this to you before. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: RE: Re: Blue Wave 2018

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote:
Pwns wrote:
What about 90s talk radio? Rush Limbaugh was the only guy that was really prominent back in those days and you don't have to like or respect his opinions but he's not Glenn Beck or Alex Jones and he has never really dealt with conspiracy theories the same way the Kos/moveon nuts do.

The first completely off-the-rails bat-poop nutty opposition to a US president was when Bush was in office. And yes, if you think Bush lied to go to Iraq or stole the election you are on par with Sandy Hook truthers and birthers and other fringe, alternative-facts types.

Like I said, the left aren't the only ones involved in the positive feedback loop, but they are the ones that started it.
I'm a libertarian and I think members of the Bush administration lied to get approval for the iraq invasion.

And this whole off-the-rails opposition to the opposing party has been going on to varying degrees and in various forms almost since the beginning. We've survived it in the past and hopefully we'll survive it this time.
:nod:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

93henfan wrote: The 2018 Dems are the not-Trumps, and as Trump keeps filling his resume with big accomplishments like tax cuts and denuclearization of North Korea, not-Trump is becoming a sell. :lol:
I'd say that at this moment being "not-Trump" remains the favored position of the overall population as well as the overall population of registered voters. While Trump's position has improved some recently he is still at -9.6 in the RealClearPolitics job approval average (43.2% to 52.8%). He is even at -4 (47% to 51%) in the Rasmussen poll that is strongly biased towards Republicans. I'm sure he'll be up at times in the Rasmussen poll but overall he is pretty clearly underwater in that area.

It's worse for him in the Favorable/Unfavorable polling. There he is -14. Some of that might be because there isn't a Rasmussen poll on that matter to drag his average up.

Meanwhile, by the RealClearPolitics average, only 37% approve of the Republican Tax Reform law. Only 43.6% affirmatively disapprove, but that still puts the Republican Tax Reform legislation at 6.6 percentage points underwater. It's not a net plus for Trump in particular or Republicans in general as far as public opinion goes. One can argue that it should be. But it's not.

I think the Korea thing is a net plus for Trump right now. In fact I think that's why he's had a bit of an uptick in job approval recently.

Still, being anti Trump is not a bad place to be with respect to public opinion. Things can change rapidly. But right now it's not.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote:
93henfan wrote: The 2018 Dems are the not-Trumps, and as Trump keeps filling his resume with big accomplishments like tax cuts and denuclearization of North Korea, not-Trump is becoming a sell. :lol:
I'd say that at this moment being "not-Trump" remains the favored position of the overall population as well as the overall population of registered voters. While Trump's position has improved some recently he is still at -9.6 in the RealClearPolitics job approval average (43.2% to 52.8%). He is even at -4 (47% to 51%) in the Rasmussen poll that is strongly biased towards Republicans. I'm sure he'll be up at times in the Rasmussen poll but overall he is pretty clearly underwater in that area.

It's worse for him in the Favorable/Unfavorable polling. There he is -14. Some of that might be because there isn't a Rasmussen poll on that matter to drag his average up.

Meanwhile, by the RealClearPolitics average, only 37% approve of the Republican Tax Reform law. Only 43.6% affirmatively disapprove, but that still puts the Republican Tax Reform legislation at 6.6 percentage points underwater. It's not a net plus for Trump in particular or Republicans in general as far as public opinion goes. One can argue that it should be. But it's not.

I think the Korea thing is a net plus for Trump right now. In fact I think that's why he's had a bit of an uptick in job approval recently.

Still, being anti Trump is not a bad place to be with respect to public opinion. Things can change rapidly. But right now it's not.
So I try to be hip and think like the crowd
But even the crowd can't help me now, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Gil Dobie wrote: So I try to be hip and think like the crowd
There are two major crowds right now, and of the two the anti-Trump crowd is larger.

Whether that translates into more political power for that side is in question because of the way our system works. The anti Trump crowd was bigger during the 2016 Presidential Election but Trump became President in spite of getting a lower percentage of the vote than Romney got. And, as I noted in an earlier post, I interpret the polling as indicating that though the Democrats will probably get more votes overall in 2018 House races the Republicans appear to have a solid edge right now in swing districts.

i don't like seeing that. I think this country REALLY needs for the Democrats to take over at least one House of Congress right now because the Republicans are totally corrupt. I think a check on the Republican dishonesty is badly needed right now. But it is what it is.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote:
kalm wrote:
You’re either completely delilusional or too young to be aware of the Bush administration, Iraq war, and 90’s right wing talk radio.

We can argue who’s more at fault but to “fully blame” the left for the deteriotiom of discourse is laughable.

So I'm gonna go with delusional AND too young.

Limbaugh was the star and the catalyst in the early 90's. You couldn't swing a dead cat around Spokane without hitting a car with a "Rush is Right" bumper sticker but he wasn't alone. Hannity and Beck were becoming established in the 90's. You also had syndicated shows like Michael Savage, Laura Schlessinger, Michael Medved, Pat Buchannon (I enjoyed his show quite a bit and the Reverend Barry Lynn was an excellent liberal co-host) as well as a ton of local conservative talk radio shows.

Just like liberals love them some community organizing and protest marches, conservatives dominated talk radio. It's had a huge influence on shaping the debate and not always in the most pleasant or respectful of manners. You claim the first off the rails opposition to a president was Bush but trust me, the hating on Clinton was similar.

If you want to go back further and into the time where I was too young to have paid attention, Lee Atwater was supposedly one of those players that you loved if he was on your team, but accused of destroying the respectful discourse if you were on the other side.

UNI88 is probably right. It's been there going WAY back and it's clearly too muddled to claim either side as the original sinner.

:coffee:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

From everything I've heard from older folks (mostly parents and older friends), they felt Newt Gingrich's tenure really brought about hyper-partisanship with his leadership style.

I'm sure the the foundation was laid even further back, but he made it nationally visible.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:From everything I've heard from older folks (mostly parents and older friends), they felt Newt Gingrich's tenure really brought about hyper-partisanship with his leadership style.

I'm sure the the foundation was laid even further back, but he made it nationally visible.
Say what you will about Gingrich

He and Bill Clinton were the last politicians to reach anything that could be considered “grand compromise”

(No child left behind doesn’t count.... although Teddy was willing to vote for WAR for it)

Gingrich proved that scorched earth politics work when you have a guy in the WH who is 50% pragmatist and 50% legacy conscious
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote: So I try to be hip and think like the crowd
There are two major crowds right now, and of the two the anti-Trump crowd is larger.

Whether that translates into more political power for that side is in question because of the way our system works. The anti Trump crowd was bigger during the 2016 Presidential Election but Trump became President in spite of getting a lower percentage of the vote than Romney got. And, as I noted in an earlier post, I interpret the polling as indicating that though the Democrats will probably get more votes overall in 2018 House races the Republicans appear to have a solid edge right now in swing districts.

i don't like seeing that. I think this country REALLY needs for the Democrats to take over at least one House of Congress right now because the Republicans are totally corrupt. I think a check on the Republican dishonesty is badly needed right now. But it is what it is.
Do we know the anti-Trump crowd is larger? Neither candidate had over 50% of the vote. I'm anti-Trump and Anti-Clinton, but the 2016 election was almost 2 years ago. Looking to see who slithers to the top for the next election.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

kalm wrote:

Limbaugh was the star and the catalyst in the early 90's. You couldn't swing a dead cat around Spokane without hitting a car with a "Rush is Right" bumper sticker but he wasn't alone. Hannity and Beck were becoming established in the 90's. You also had syndicated shows like Michael Savage, Laura Schlessinger, Michael Medved, Pat Buchannon (I enjoyed his show quite a bit and the Reverend Barry Lynn was an excellent liberal co-host) as well as a ton of local conservative talk radio shows.

Just like liberals love them some community organizing and protest marches, conservatives dominated talk radio. It's had a huge influence on shaping the debate and not always in the most pleasant or respectful of manners. You claim the first off the rails opposition to a president was Bush but trust me, the hating on Clinton was similar.

If you want to go back further and into the time where I was too young to have paid attention, Lee Atwater was supposedly one of those players that you loved if he was on your team, but accused of destroying the respectful discourse if you were on the other side.

UNI88 is probably right. It's been there going WAY back and it's clearly too muddled to claim either side as the original sinner.

HOw many stations were Limbaugh, Beck, et al on in the 90s? Four?

And like Cid says, at least when the GOP re-took the house in 1994 there was bipartisan cooperation (on things like Welfare reform and the anti-Terrorism legislation after OKC).

Sorry kalm, but things seems to point to the early 00s as the beginning of the downward spiral.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Pwns wrote: What about 90s talk radio? Rush Limbaugh was the only guy that was really prominent back in those days and you don't have to like or respect his opinions but he's not Glenn Beck or Alex Jones and he has never really dealt with conspiracy theories the same way the Kos/moveon nuts do.

This is pure gold right here... ^

:rofl:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote:
kalm wrote:

HOw many stations were Limbaugh, Beck, et al on in the 90s? Four?

And like Cid says, at least when the GOP re-took the house in 1994 there was bipartisan cooperation (on things like Welfare reform and the anti-Terrorism legislation after OKC).

Sorry kalm, but things seems to point to the early 00s as the beginning of the downward spiral.
It’s ok, Pwns, you simply have no fucking clue what you’re talking about.

I listened to a ton of talk radio in the 90’s both at home and while traveling around the Northwest. Spokane is around the 70th largest media market in the US. Rush was on the air here. He was also on the air in places like Moses Lake (pop. 20K), Pocatello (pop. 30k), the Dalles, Tri Cities, Boise, La Grande...you get the picture.

So yes, slightly more than 4. :lol:

By 1991 he was the most listened to talk radio host in America. He was fairly proud of that too.

Like I said, that helped lay the groundwork for what was later to come. Of course the early 2000’s was the pinnacle of right wing radio , but oopsie! That’s what you claim was the beginning of the downward spiral....caused by the left. :rofl:

Here endeth the lesson. (I hope). :rofl:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:I listened to a ton of talk radio in the 90’s both at home and while traveling around the Northwest. Spokane is around the 70th largest media market in the US. Rush was on the air here. He was also on the air in places like Moses Lake (pop. 20K), Pocatello (pop. 30k), the Dalles, Tri Cities, Boise, La Grande...you get the picture.

By 1991 he was the most listened to talk radio host in America. He was fairly proud of that too.

Like I said, that helped lay the groundwork for what was later to come. Of course the early 2000’s was the pinnacle of right wing radio , but oopsie! That’s what you claim was the beginning of the downward spiral....caused by the left. :rofl:

2 questions:

1) Was that Sirius/XM you were listening to? Because everybody knows Moses Lake don't got no fucking radio stations.
B) What created Rush/Beck/Jones?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: You claim the first off the rails opposition to a president was Bush but trust me, the hating on Clinton was similar.

Please. The Off the rails people STILL hate Reagan. The hatred towards Bush II is amateurish compared to the vitriol still launched against Reagan.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote: You claim the first off the rails opposition to a president was Bush but trust me, the hating on Clinton was similar.

Please. The Off the rails people STILL hate Reagan. The hatred towards Bush II is amateurish compared to the vitriol still launched against Reagan.
........and Nixon.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote:I listened to a ton of talk radio in the 90’s both at home and while traveling around the Northwest. Spokane is around the 70th largest media market in the US. Rush was on the air here. He was also on the air in places like Moses Lake (pop. 20K), Pocatello (pop. 30k), the Dalles, Tri Cities, Boise, La Grande...you get the picture.

2 questions:

1) Was that Sirius/XM you were listening to? Because everybody knows Moses Lake don't got no fucking radio stations.
B) What created Rush/Beck/Jones?
1) Half my wife’s family and my sister lived in Moses Lake in the 90’s. We were there all the time. It had an AM talk station (with local advertising) and what seemed like 20 mariachi and Christian stations (although I’m sure some of them were from the Tri Cities.

B) :? Demand for right wing commentary to compete against NPR? Telecom deregulation and the end of the Fairness Doctrine?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote:
Pwns wrote:

The Pride of South Carolina.

I remember in the 90s when Limbaugh was taking off (and those horrible ties).

I have to say - where are the Liberal talk show hosts?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:

They were both bad but conservatives figured that out about Bush while ignoring Reagan’s shortcomings.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:From everything I've heard from older folks (mostly parents and older friends), they felt Newt Gingrich's tenure really brought about hyper-partisanship with his leadership style.

Say what you will about Gingrich

He and Bill Clinton were the last politicians to reach anything that could be considered “grand compromise”

(No child left behind doesn’t count.... although Teddy was willing to vote for WAR for it)

Gingrich proved that scorched earth politics work when you have a guy in the WH who is 50% pragmatist and 50% legacy conscious
And I agree with that - some other poster said this problem has always been there, and he's correct - you go back to the start of the country and you can see opposition from the very start. But even though that existed, you still had the party in power be able to work with the party in opposition, and that was even the case through the Clinton years (as you said, Clinton deserves a good amount of the credit for that as he sought out ways to work together - the classic "third way" he promoted). Starting with the debacle of the election in 2000, and the "he's not my President" and so on, almost every election (save for 2008 and you have to wonder if getting the supermajority worked against Dems worst instincts then) has been one side winning and the other side refusing to acknowledge the win and focusing only on complete opposition. That ain't a good thing.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

kalm wrote:

I listened to a ton of talk radio in the 90’s both at home and while traveling around the Northwest. Spokane is around the 70th largest media market in the US. Rush was on the air here. He was also on the air in places like Moses Lake (pop. 20K), Pocatello (pop. 30k), the Dalles, Tri Cities, Boise, La Grande...you get the picture.

I never said that Rush wasn't big in the 90s. :suspicious: In fact, I said the exact opposite. I am saying when you have all of those years on the radio the worst stuff you have is Sandra Fluke and Donovan McNabb comments (both of those were well after the turn of the century) you don't have the guy that really took political discourse into the gutter.

Sean Hannity's radio show started in 1998.
Glenn Beck's show started in 2000.

Obviously it took them both at least several years after they started before they got big. the idea that there was this large, burgeoning and largely influential talk radio landscape in the 90s just isn't true.

Try again, kalm. :lol:
Celebrate Diversity.*
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

One more comment...I guess you might could place the blame on the advent of highly-partisan internet news sites and blogs (which really started to take off in the early Bush years when internet access in homes started to become really common). The internet arguably gave life to the "birther" conspiracy that it wouldn't have really got otherwise.

Either way, I'm not going to relent on my position that the Bush years was when the downward spiral started without something better than what I've got here so far. :coffee:
Celebrate Diversity.*
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote:
kalm wrote:

I never said that Rush wasn't big in the 90s. :suspicious: In fact, I said the exact opposite. I am saying when you have all of those years on the radio the worst stuff you have is Sandra Fluke and Donovan McNabb comments (both of those were well after the turn of the century) you don't have the guy that really took political discourse into the gutter.

Sean Hannity's radio show started in 1998.
Glenn Beck's show started in 2000.

Obviously it took them both at least several years after they started before they got big. the idea that there was this large, burgeoning and largely influential talk radio landscape in the 90s just isn't true.

Try again, kalm. :lol:
Hannity’s radio career started in the 80’s https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Hannity and I listed several others as well. Beck wasn’t an overnight success either (as you acknowledge thanks!) but he was building an audience and following in the 90’s. You also acknowledged that the pinnacle was the early 2000’s which pretty much blows your theories apart. :coffee:

And I believe someone above questioned how many stations “Limbaugh was on, 4?” Maybe that was you, I don’t remember. :kisswink:

I’ve fallen in love with my own ideas before too, pwnsie. It’s ok. :thumb: