The Poverty Capital of America is...

Political discussions
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: The Poverty Capital of America is...

Post by Ibanez »

Baldy wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Reading comprehension is KEY Baldy...
Boeing 787 final assembly

787 Final assembly in SC the last report I saw takes 2X longer than final assembly in Everett

http://www.businessinsider.com/boeing-w ... es-2017-12

Here are some PICTURES from 7 days ago - that should help you understand
of a 787 in Everett Facility undergoing Final Assembly
Apples and oranges. They don't even build the same plane. :rofl:

Not that it really matters since you're wrong...again. :nod:
Each plant currently produces 6 planes per month.
Boeing will accelerate 787 production to 14 per month
Boeing will raise the 787 Dreamliner production rate from 12 jets per month now to 14 per month starting in 2019, chairman and CEO Dennis Muilenburg said Wednesday.

With 787 production evenly split between Everett and North Charleston, S.C., that likely means seven planes per month rolling out at each assembly site, up from six a month today.

I already said that. Look up. :lol: I'd like to see the report that says SC is taking twice as long to build the same plane - considering all things are equal I seriously doubt that. I can see SC being twice as slow in the beginning, maybe that was the report Cleets saw, but after 10 years of production i'm sure Boeing employees are up to speed and are on par with their Seattle counterparts.

Maybe CLeets read this article and mistook it for slow.

https://airwaysmag.com/industry/visit-b ... tion-line/
Boeing South Carolina is home to the company’s second 787 final assembly and delivery facility. Since it delivered its first aircraft in 2012, the final assembly line in Charleston has rolled out 150 Dreamliners, and is currently delivering five out of the 12 787s produced every month, with the remaining seven produced in Everett.

There is the capacity to increase to a total of 14 between the two final assembly lines but Boeing is mum on if and when that will happen, the potential production split, and the actual production flow rates.

Boeing South Carolina is the only final assembly line for the largest variant – the upcoming 787-10, due to the Dreamlifter not being able to transport the entire mid/aft body fuselage. This is also the only Boeing 787 FAL that can produce all three variants: the 787-8, 787-9, and 787-10.
And here's that learning curve I mentioned earlier
In the early days of North Charleston’s learning curve and the 787’s well documented production challenges, Boeing sent 787s to Everett for rework, completion, delivery, and depending on customer – painting. Since opening a 256,000-square-foot paint facility and Delivery Center in 2016, that is a thing of the past: Boeing South Carolina aircraft are fully assembled, flight tested, and delivered at North Charleston.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Ibanez wrote:
Baldy wrote: Apples and oranges. They don't even build the same plane. :rofl:

Not that it really matters since you're wrong...again. :nod:
Each plant currently produces 6 planes per month.
Boeing will accelerate 787 production to 14 per month

I already said that. Look up. :lol: I'd like to see the report that says SC is taking twice as long to build the same plane - considering all things are equal I seriously doubt that. I can see SC being twice as slow in the beginning, maybe that was the report Cleets saw, but after 10 years of production i'm sure Boeing employees are up to speed and are on par with their Seattle counterparts.

Boeing South Carolina is home to the company’s second 787 final assembly and delivery facility. Since it delivered its first aircraft in 2012, the final assembly line in Charleston has rolled out 150 Dreamliners, and is currently delivering five out of the 12 787s produced every month, with the remaining seven produced in Everett.

There is the capacity to increase to a total of 14 between the two final assembly lines but Boeing is mum on if and when that will happen, the potential production split, and the actual production flow rates.

Boeing South Carolina is the only final assembly line for the largest variant – the upcoming 787-10, due to the Dreamlifter not being able to transport the entire mid/aft body fuselage. This is also the only Boeing 787 FAL that can produce all three variants: the 787-8, 787-9, and 787-10.
In the early days of North Charleston’s learning curve and the 787’s well documented production challenges, Boeing sent 787s to Everett for rework, completion, delivery, and depending on customer – painting. Since opening a 256,000-square-foot paint facility and Delivery Center in 2016, that is a thing of the past: Boeing South Carolina aircraft are fully assembled, flight tested, and delivered at North Charleston.
Well, Washington does have 78,000 employees, compared to 7,800 in South Carolina, so there's that...
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: RE: Re: The Poverty Capital of America is...

Post by SeattleGriz »

Chizzang wrote:
Baldy wrote: What are you talking about? South Carolina only produces one plane, the 787-10, and the Washington plant doesn't have the capability to build it.
Boeing Washington and South Carolina are two entirely different animals. Aside from having 10X the number of employees, Washington is the final assembly plant for five planes. South Carolina main job is to manufacture the 787-10, fuselages for the other 787's, propulsion systems, research, engineering and corporate IT support.

Boeing is Washington's largest private employer. They are responsible for about 100,000 good paying jobs. Sorry, but unless you're going to flip burgers at Mickey D's those jobs won't be replaced (almost immediately).
Reading comprehension is KEY Baldy...
Boeing 787 final assembly

787 Final assembly in SC the last report I saw takes 2X longer than final assembly in Everett

http://www.businessinsider.com/boeing-w ... es-2017-12

Here are some PICTURES from 7 days ago - that should help you understand
of a 787 in Everett Facility undergoing Final Assembly
Final assembly is just the last stop in a linear progression before going out the door of the factory. The positions are from 0 to 5, with 5 being Final Assembly. There is only one photo in the slide show that is Final Assembly. All the rest are other positions.

As there is always delays in parts and the planes are not 100 percent ready, they will be pushed out of the factory and work will "travel" to the Flight Line to be finished. I work on the Flight Line.

From when I started 5 years ago to where Boeing is now is amazing.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

I'm sure this will help.

California Democrats want businesses to give half their tax-cut savings to state

http://m.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Cal ... ium=social
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

HI54UNI wrote:I'm sure this will help.

California Democrats want businesses to give half their tax-cut savings to state

Jeezus H. Tittyfucking Christ. :silly:

Progressive Utopia. :rofl:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Baldy wrote:
Ibanez wrote:

Well, Washington does have 78,000 employees, compared to 7,800 in South Carolina, so there's that...
South Carolina better get ready...
Boeing is going to lose their Christmas Present from Washington next year 2019
and have to actually pay their taxes - imagine that

And Boeing is making all kinds of threats and Washington is calling their bluff
Do what you need to do Boeing... but while you're here moving forward you'll be paying your taxes

So were I a bettering man...
I'd guess SC is going to get a whole bunch of new jobs come about 3 years from now
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Chizzang wrote:
Baldy wrote: Well, Washington does have 78,000 employees, compared to 7,800 in South Carolina, so there's that...

Do what you need to do Boeing... but while you're here moving forward you'll be paying your taxes

I'd guess SC is going to get a whole bunch of new jobs come about 3 years from now
SC is ready. Local tech schools have designed curriculum for the purpose of training of future Boeing, Volvo, Bosch, BMW, etc...employees. Courses are designed and in some cases taught by company people. South Carolina has been getting ready for over 10 years. South Carolina has taken it seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Ibanez wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

SC is ready. Local tech schools have designed curriculum for the purpose of training of future Boeing, Volvo, Bosch, BMW, etc...employees. Courses are designed and in some cases taught by company people. South Carolina has been getting ready for over 10 years. South Carolina has taken it seriously.

Those dumbfvck goobers in SC will be quickly replaced with foreigners who can read. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

houndawg wrote:
Ibanez wrote: SC is ready. Local tech schools have designed curriculum for the purpose of training of future Boeing, Volvo, Bosch, BMW, etc...employees. Courses are designed and in some cases taught by company people. South Carolina has been getting ready for over 10 years. South Carolina has taken it seriously.

Those dumbfvck goobers in SC will be quickly replaced with foreigners who can read. :coffee:
Pictures say a 1000 words. All bubba needs to know is to weld this, bolt that, paint this red, etc....

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Yeah makes sense -

The commercial airplane building business - one of the most penny-pinching in the entire world

where just one manufacturing hiccup on even a miniscule part can cost you billions when the customer decides to go with Airbus instead

Boeing isn't going to build planes anywhere they can't fill orders in a cost minimizing manner - which means cheap(er) labor AND efficiency. You dont readily find those two together in places like WA

And the SC workers get it- having voted against a union shop what..? Twice now? If anything, Boeing will expand its footprint in SC in the future, and Nancy Pelosi will again refer to SC workers as "scabs".

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote:
SDHornet wrote: Illinois... :lol: ...one of few states worse of than CA. :rofl:

CA will always have something to fall back on, agribusiness and large ports importing crapy Chinese goods don't get up and move out of state. But I think a full on implosion of this state's leftist gubmint happens when the pension debt comes due. :coffee:

How bad does it suck to be you?
If you would have seen my Q4 IRA statement, you would realize things aren't bad at all. 8-)
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

HI54UNI wrote:I'm sure this will help.

I love it, donks are actively trying to speed up the impending implosion. :rofl:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

houndawg wrote:
Ibanez wrote: SC is ready. Local tech schools have designed curriculum for the purpose of training of future Boeing, Volvo, Bosch, BMW, etc...employees. Courses are designed and in some cases taught by company people. South Carolina has been getting ready for over 10 years. South Carolina has taken it seriously.

Guess those dumbfvck dirt farmers in southern Illinois never had a shot. :coffee:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote:Yeah makes sense -

The commercial airplane building business - one of the most penny-pinching in the entire world

where just one manufacturing hiccup on even a miniscule part can cost you billions when the customer decides to go with Airbus instead

Boeing isn't going to build planes anywhere they can't fill orders in a cost minimizing manner - which means cheap(er) labor AND efficiency. You dont readily find those two together in places like WA

And the SC workers get it- having voted against a union shop what..? Twice now? If anything, Boeing will expand its footprint in SC in the future, and Nancy Pelosi will again refer to SC workers as "scabs".

I'm sure the Boeing footprint will grow.

meanwhile, here's a nice article from Seattle Times.
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... -catch-up/
The young engineer, who spoke on condition of anonymity because Boeing doesn’t allow unsupervised interactions with the press, is glad he made his cross-country move.

In contrast to Boeing’s Seattle-area units, where he felt he bumped up against entrenched ways of doing things, he says the South Carolina site offers the can-do spirit and energy of a startup enterprise.

“The culture here is way more optimistic. It’s so young and new … I found it to be a breath of fresh air.”
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

That's what the company I worked for did. Voted for a non-union plant with 80% against, twice (in Illinois!). Tears were shed, the quality of the work force praised to the heavens, pledges of loyalty... the beauty of our system... Less than two years later they were gone to Mexico. Because things have changed.

SC bought themselves a few years, maybe, but final assembly will be done in China eventually. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote:

That's what the company I worked for did. Voted for a non-union plant with 80% against, twice (in Illinois!). Tears were shed, the quality of the work force praised to the heavens, pledges of loyalty... the beauty of our system... Less than two years later they were gone to Mexico. Because things have changed.

SC bought themselves a few years, maybe, but final assembly will be done in China eventually. :coffee:
The Union didn't help themselves in SC by saying originally that SC was full of rubes and hacks that couldn't compete with Washington.

Boeing threw up billboards making sure the Charleston workers remembered how the Union disparaged them before voting took place.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Ibanez wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:We have two big plants in the Seattle area. South of Seattle is the Renton plant that produces the 737 only and up north in Everett where I work, we make the 747 (dying fast), 767 ( Fed Ex and Tanker), 777 (dying fast, but replaced by 777X) and the 787.

Boeing has been trimming fat for two years now to help pay for 777X development and talking big time about releasing a Middle of Market 757 type as well.

From when I started 5 years ago, the stock has gone from 70 to 340.

Listening to the workers, South Carolina was started because of throughput and because the union guys were **** and made too much. SC has almost as good of flow time to build the 87 as Everett. I would have built the SC site if it was my money. They have a **** ton of pride and work hard.
And if you ever travel to Charleston, you’ll see that pride. People love to wear their Boeing garb, stickers on their trucks and coolers, bars that give discounts to employees have done well, etc... Boeing has been great for Charleston.

They'll drop Charleston like the last sandbag in the hot-air balloon as soon as some cheaper labor comes along. :coffee:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Ivytalk wrote:
houndawg wrote:

Guess those dumbfvck dirt farmers in southern Illinois never had a shot. :coffee:
Too many coal miners. :coffee:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote:
houndawg wrote:

The Union didn't help themselves in SC by saying originally that SC was full of rubes and hacks that couldn't compete with Washington.

Boeing threw up billboards making sure the Charleston workers remembered how the Union disparaged them before voting took place.
All we had to do was give the senior employees a "signing bonus" to approve the new two-tiered "fvck-the-new guy-over" system. Works every time... :coffee:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Agreed ^ :nod:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote:
houndawg wrote:

How bad does it suck to be you?
If you would have seen my Q4 IRA statement, you would realize things aren't bad at all. 8-)
But look where you have to live. :coffee:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Poverty Capital of America is...

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:The Union didn't help themselves in SC by saying originally that SC was full of rubes and hacks that couldn't compete with Washington.

All we had to do was give the senior employees a "signing bonus" to approve the new two-tiered "fvck-the-new guy-over" system. Works every time... :coffee:
As this is public knowledge, it has already started. Boeing is in business with the Chinese already. Boeing is allowing a "finishing center" to be built in China for the 737.

China pulled their usual and Boeing acquiesced.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote:
houndawg wrote:
As this is public knowledge, it has already started. Boeing is in business with the Chinese already. Boeing is allowing a "finishing center" to be built in China for the 737.

Bye-bye Charleston... :lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

houndawg wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:As this is public knowledge, it has already started. Boeing is in business with the Chinese already. Boeing is allowing a "finishing center" to be built in China for the 737.

Bye-bye Charleston... :lol:
Yeah - leaving a multi-billion dollar investment that continues to grow is going to happen. Keep dreaming. Besides, Charleston's facility was built for the 787. So, no threat there. :mrgreen:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

houndawg wrote:

Actually, no, it won’t.

The aerospace industry is limited by tech transfer rules - certain foreign nationals can’t even get US visas to study in many aerospace fields

And those rules are being strengthened by the day... the latest hard lesson was learned with all of the tech theft that has happened from Apple and others

I’m sure you’ll have some glib reply - but the reality is that even if every piece of a 787 is manufactured in the US it won’t matter... because the assembly processes are proprietary.

Maybe when Hillary is President.. oh wait
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris