The Poverty Capital of America is...

Political discussions
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Re: The Poverty Capital of America is...

Post by Chizzang »

Col Hogan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Ya...
So retired people are moving to Florida and Texas
You don't say

The number of Americans ages 65 and older is projected to more than double from 46 million today to over 98 million by 2060, and the 65-and-older age group’s share of the total population will rise to nearly 24 percent from 15 percent.
Yea, I’m sure all the businesses moving to Texas are bringing retired folks here...

https://www.jllrealviews.com/places/big ... for-texas/

And while this one is a couple of years old, it is still accurate...in fact, I’d wager it’s gotten worse in Cali and better in Texas...again, I’m sure it’s only retired folks coming with these companies...

http://interactives.dallasnews.com/2015 ... elocation/
a) Retired people moving in droves is a huge factor to be dismissed in a "business" article
b) If you're predicting the "doom" of California get in line and start 25 years ago

and here's one more:
Washington State literally chased away Boeing to South Carolina
and it wasn't "an accidental miscalculation" it was a business decision
and
There were articles predicting the crash in Seattle and Washington
"Can Washington survive without Boeing" Blah blah blah
Except guess what - Washington boomed in Boeing's absence

So...
Pardon me if I don't quite buy into the Doomsday scenario presented for California
I've been reading about the death of California for 25 years
I'm down there many months a year and it's absolutely booming
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Chizzang wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:
Yea, I’m sure all the businesses moving to Texas are bringing retired folks here...

https://www.jllrealviews.com/places/big ... for-texas/

And while this one is a couple of years old, it is still accurate...in fact, I’d wager it’s gotten worse in Cali and better in Texas...again, I’m sure it’s only retired folks coming with these companies...

http://interactives.dallasnews.com/2015 ... elocation/
a) Retired people moving in droves is a huge factor to be dismissed in a "business" article
b) If you're predicting the "doom" of California get in line and start 25 years ago

and here's one more:
and

So...
Pardon me if I don't quite buy into the Doomsday scenario presented for California
The state of Washington chased Boeing away by giving them $8.3 Billion in tax incentives to stay? :suspicious:
Somebody's got some 'splaining to do. :?
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

Baldy wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

and here's one more:
and

So...
The state of Washington chased Boeing away by giving them $8.3 Billion in tax incentives to stay? :suspicious:
That plan was initiated in 2003 and runs through 2040... $8.7 over 35 years
But you're damned right
Washington legislators are now actually pretty pissed off at Boeing and about to kill that bill
WA. state officials are almost entirely in agreement that it's over.. and nobody is scared

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik ... story.html
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

Chizzang wrote:
Baldy wrote: The state of Washington chased Boeing away by giving them $8.3 Billion in tax incentives to stay? :suspicious:
That plan was initiated in 2013 and runs through 2040... $8.7 over 35 years
But you're damned right
Washington legislators are now actually pretty pissed off at Boeing and about to kill that bill
WA. state officials are almost entirely in agreement that it's over.. and nobody is scared

accuracy.
With the stroke of a pen, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee (D) on Monday signed into law the largest corporate tax break any state has ever given to a single company. And it took just three days of debate in the state legislature to get the measure to Inslee’s desk.

The new law extends a business and operating tax cut for the aerospace giant through 2040, streamlines the permitting process and invests in a transportation package the company had advocated. Over the life of the package, the deal is expected to be worth $8.7 billion.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/go ... d8c510fc08
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

Baldy wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
That plan was initiated in 2013 and runs through 2040... $8.7 over 35 years
But you're damned right

accuracy.
With the stroke of a pen, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee (D) on Monday signed into law the largest corporate tax break any state has ever given to a single company. And it took just three days of debate in the state legislature to get the measure to Inslee’s desk.

The new law extends a business and operating tax cut for the aerospace giant through 2040, streamlines the permitting process and invests in a transportation package the company had advocated. Over the life of the package, the deal is expected to be worth $8.7 billion.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/go ... d8c510fc08
It's going to end...
And Boeing knows it and seems to embark on a new threat to pull out of Washington every month now

There's only one problem - and Washington State has become aware of the problem
it takes some ridiculous amount of time to get a 787 completed in South Carolina
Final assembly in SC is something like 2x as long as final assembly in Washington
and that's expensive (time is money)

Boeing has lost the upper hand in the debate
Washington has proven it can replace the lost jobs (almost immediately)
and so no longer fears Boeing pulling out

and it now appears that pulling out of Washington is suicide for Boeing
unless they want to cancel hundreds of Dreamliner orders

Boeing is stuck and fucked
They're just going to have to pay their taxes like everybody else
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Col Hogan wrote:
houndawg wrote:
I have 20 acres that needs mowed so if you decide to leave I can throw you some work.
You’re in Illinois...why would anyone move there... :rofl:

According to United Van Lines, Illinois tops the 2017 list with the highest per centage of moves being outbound moves...

https://www.unitedvanlines.com/contact- ... study-2017
Just offering a helping hand. I wouldn't encourage anybody to move here, either. My advice would be to move to some shithole like Texas. :thumb:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CAA Flagship wrote:
houndawg wrote:

lol....once the house left the family (and I took the old cars down off of their blocks) they jumped to over $5k. :lol:
Why is that? What happened? Was it grandfathered?
Yes, we were under the original prop 13 as long as the house stayed in the family.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:
houndawg wrote:Trivia: When we sold my parents home in CA in '94 the taxes were $600/year because of Prop. 13. The next door neighbors were $5800 for a slightly larger house on a smaller lot.
Well obviously you need somebody to do it for you since you dont have enough sense to keep your cellphone out of the bush hog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:lol:

Twice.. :ohno:
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

Chizzang wrote:
It's going to end...
And Boeing knows it and seems to embark on a new threat to pull out of Washington every month now

it takes some ridiculous amount of time to get a 787 completed in South Carolina
Final assembly in SC is something like 2x as long as final assembly in Washington

What are you talking about? South Carolina only produces one plane, the 787-10, and the Washington plant doesn't have the capability to build it.
Boeing Washington and South Carolina are two entirely different animals. Aside from having 10X the number of employees, Washington is the final assembly plant for five planes. South Carolina main job is to manufacture the 787-10, fuselages for the other 787's, propulsion systems, research, engineering and corporate IT support.

Boeing is Washington's largest private employer. They are responsible for about 100,000 good paying jobs. Sorry, but unless you're going to flip burgers at Mickey D's those jobs won't be replaced (almost immediately).
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

We have two big plants in the Seattle area. South of Seattle is the Renton plant that produces the 737 only and up north in Everett where I work, we make the 747 (dying fast), 767 ( Fed Ex and Tanker), 777 (dying fast, but replaced by 777X) and the 787.

Boeing has been trimming fat for two years now to help pay for 777X development and talking big time about releasing a Middle of Market 757 type as well.

From when I started 5 years ago, the stock has gone from 70 to 340.

Listening to the workers, South Carolina was started because of throughput and because the union guys were fuckers and made too much. SC has almost as good of flow time to build the 87 as Everett. I would have built the SC site if it was my money. They have a shit ton of pride and work hard.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Baldy is spot on with the assessment. Not to say Cleats is wrong, as I don't really know shit about what the State thinks.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

The Poverty Capital of America is...

Post by Ibanez »

Chizzang wrote:
It's going to end...

Current production is 12/mo, split between the two lines. So...how is SC twice as slow? I have a few cousins and friends on the assembly lines and in the offices and they have received bonuses for sending out a plane ahead of schedule.

I’ll see a few of them today at a funeral- I’ll get their perspective.

Last edited by Ibanez on Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Baldy wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
It's going to end...

What are you talking about? South Carolina only produces one plane, the 787-10, and the Washington plant doesn't have the capability to build it.
Boeing Washington and South Carolina are two entirely different animals. Aside from having 10X the number of employees, Washington is the final assembly plant for five planes. South Carolina main job is to manufacture the 787-10, fuselages for the other 787's, propulsion systems, research, engineering and corporate IT support.

Boeing is Washington's largest private employer. They are responsible for about 100,000 good paying jobs. Sorry, but unless you're going to flip burgers at Mickey D's those jobs won't be replaced (almost immediately).
Yup- and SC is doing 6/mo which is according to their defined production schedule. It’s about to increase by 1, or so I hear.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SeattleGriz wrote:We have two big plants in the Seattle area. South of Seattle is the Renton plant that produces the 737 only and up north in Everett where I work, we make the 747 (dying fast), 767 ( Fed Ex and Tanker), 777 (dying fast, but replaced by 777X) and the 787.

Boeing has been trimming fat for two years now to help pay for 777X development and talking big time about releasing a Middle of Market 757 type as well.

From when I started 5 years ago, the stock has gone from 70 to 340.

Listening to the workers, South Carolina was started because of throughput and because the union guys were fuckers and made too much. SC has almost as good of flow time to build the 87 as Everett. I would have built the SC site if it was my money. They have a shit ton of pride and work hard.
And if you ever travel to Charleston, you’ll see that pride. People love to wear their Boeing garb, stickers on their trucks and coolers, bars that give discounts to employees have done well, etc... Boeing has been great for Charleston.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Baldy wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
It's going to end...

SC produces all variants of the 787 (including the -10 which is too large for Everett) but also the 737 MAX.

The Boeing website isn't up to date since it still states that parts are manufactured and assembled in SC and then transferred to WA for final assembly - that doesn't happen anymore. SC even paints the jets now instead of flying them to Texas for painting.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: The Poverty Capital of America is...

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote:
Baldy wrote: What are you talking about? South Carolina only produces one plane, the 787-10, and the Washington plant doesn't have the capability to build it.

SC produces all variants of the 787 (including the -10 which is too large for Everett) but also the 737 MAX.

The Boeing website isn't up to date since it still states that parts are manufactured and assembled in SC and then transferred to WA for final assembly - that doesn't happen anymore. SC even paints the jets now instead of flying them to Texas for painting.
The Dreamlifter delivers parts up here in Everett. Thing flies right over my house on approach. Flipping huge.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: The Poverty Capital of America is...

Post by Ibanez »

SeattleGriz wrote:
Ibanez wrote:

The Dreamlifter delivers parts up here in Everett. Thing flies right over my house on approach. Flipping huge.
Yeah it is. The runway is just past the interstate and when that sucker is landing, it looks like it's going to land on top of you.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Poverty Capital of America is...

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:The Dreamlifter delivers parts up here in Everett. Thing flies right over my house on approach. Flipping huge.
Yeah it is. The runway is just past the interstate and when that sucker is landing, it looks like it's going to land on top of you.
I actually work with the guys who maintain and have been able to walk around it. It is operated by someone other than Boeing, so I have never been inside it, but don't really need to. It's enough when they open it up and pull all the stuff out.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

SeattleGriz wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Yeah it is. The runway is just past the interstate and when that sucker is landing, it looks like it's going to land on top of you.
I actually work with the guys who maintain and have been able to walk around it. It is operated by someone other than Boeing, so I have never been inside it, but don't really need to. It's enough when they open it up and pull all the stuff out.
My great great grandfather flew one
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Dreamliner. :lol:

-guy near C-5 base
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Col Hogan wrote:
houndawg wrote:
I have 20 acres that needs mowed so if you decide to leave I can throw you some work.

According to United Van Lines, Illinois tops the 2017 list with the highest per centage of moves being outbound moves...

Illinois... :lol: ...one of few states worse of than CA. :rofl:

CA will always have something to fall back on, agribusiness and large ports importing crapy Chinese goods don't get up and move out of state. But I think a full on implosion of this state's leftist gubmint happens when the pension debt comes due. :coffee:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Why is that? What happened? Was it grandfathered?
Yes, we were under the original prop 13 as long as the house stayed in the family.
Yup, prop 13 is the only thing allowing people to actually retire in CA...actually surprised the donks haven't removed it yet. :|
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

Baldy wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
It's going to end...

Reading comprehension is KEY Baldy...
Boeing 787 final assembly

787 Final assembly in SC the last report I saw takes 2X longer than final assembly in Everett

http://www.businessinsider.com/boeing-w ... es-2017-12

Here are some PICTURES from 7 days ago - that should help you understand
of a 787 in Everett Facility undergoing Final Assembly
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

Chizzang wrote:
Baldy wrote: What are you talking about? South Carolina only produces one plane, the 787-10, and the Washington plant doesn't have the capability to build it.

Reading comprehension is KEY Baldy...
Boeing 787 final assembly

787 Final assembly in SC the last report I saw takes 2X longer than final assembly in Everett

http://www.businessinsider.com/boeing-w ... es-2017-12

Here are some PICTURES from 7 days ago - that should help you understand
of a 787 in Everett Facility undergoing Final Assembly
Apples and oranges. They don't even build the same plane. :rofl:

Not that it really matters since you're wrong...again. :nod:
Each plant currently produces 6 planes per month.
Boeing will accelerate 787 production to 14 per month
Boeing will raise the 787 Dreamliner production rate from 12 jets per month now to 14 per month starting in 2019, chairman and CEO Dennis Muilenburg said Wednesday.

With 787 production evenly split between Everett and North Charleston, S.C., that likely means seven planes per month rolling out at each assembly site, up from six a month today.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:

Illinois... :lol: ...one of few states worse of than CA. :rofl:

CA will always have something to fall back on, agribusiness and large ports importing crapy Chinese goods don't get up and move out of state. But I think a full on implosion of this state's leftist gubmint happens when the pension debt comes due. :coffee:

How bad does it suck to be you?