The Poverty Capital of America is...

Political discussions
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

The Poverty Capital of America is...

Post by Col Hogan »

Liberal California...according to the Los Angeles Times...
It’s not as though California policymakers have neglected to wage war on poverty. Sacramento and local governments have spent massive amounts in the cause. Several state and municipal benefit programs overlap with one another; in some cases, individuals with incomes 200% above the poverty line receive benefits. California state and local governments spent nearly $958 billion from 1992 through 2015 on public welfare programs, including cash-assistance payments, vendor payments and “other public welfare,” according to the Census Bureau. California, with 12% of the American population, is home today to about one in three of the nation’s welfare recipients.

California Democrats have long been free to indulge blue-state ideology while paying little or no political price.

The generous spending, then, has not only failed to decrease poverty; it actually seems to have made it worse.
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la ... story.html
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: The Poverty Capital of America is...

Post by SDHornet »

That's nothing, wait until pension payments come due.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

This is the sort of shit that would make you chain your 13 kids in the basement and feed them Alpo.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: RE: Re: The Poverty Capital of America is...

Post by SeattleGriz »

93henfan wrote:This is the sort of shit that would make you chain your 13 kids in the basement and feed them Alpo.
Lol!
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

93henfan wrote:This is the sort of shit that would make you chain your 13 kids in the basement and feed them Alpo.
For those that didn't get this:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/california ... -1.4489418
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote:
For those that didn't get this:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/california ... -1.4489418
It's a shame how Emo Philips turned out when he got old. :ohno:

ImageImage
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Just wait until the rich start leaving.

Wealthy exodus to escape new tax rules worries California Democrats
http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-gov ... 05279.html

An illustration of the stupidity of relying on the top 1% to provide 1/2 the funding by taxing the piss out of them, and if a chunk of them leave, you're screwed..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

BDKJMU wrote:Just wait until the rich start leaving.

An illustration of the stupidity of relying on the top 1% to provide 1/2 the funding by taxing the piss out of them, and if a chunk of them leave, you're screwed..
A version of this article has been written every two years for 25 years...
and zilch - zip - nothing happens

The people that should be leaving California are the middle class - Not the elite wealthy
California is still one of the fastest growing states (usually it is the fastest)
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Chizzang wrote:

The people that should be leaving California are the middle class - Not the elite wealthy
California is still one of the fastest growing states (usually it is the fastest)
I'm too lazy to look it up plus I really don't care but I was reading an article yesterday about the upcoming Census and it said that California is on the bubble of losing a congressional seat next time. If true that must mean they aren't growing as fast or too many are leaving or both.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Don't worry, they've been steadily leaving CA for a while now but this latest stuff should expedite the exodus. But the leftists in this state tax more than just the wealthy, they upped the gas tax and increased car registration recently so they are giving it to everyone.

Can't wait for the implosion. :nod:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

The top 1% don’t leave, they’d just change their official residence to one of their other 7 homes.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Chizzang wrote:

if things were that bad they wouldn't be sending their extra federal taxes to the parasitic red states :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote:

Don't worry, they've been steadily leaving CA for a while now but this latest stuff should expedite the exodus. But the leftists in this state tax more than just the wealthy, they upped the gas tax and increased car registration recently so they are giving it to everyone.

I have 20 acres that needs mowed so if you decide to leave I can throw you some work.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Trivia: When we sold my parents home in CA in '94 the taxes were $600/year because of Prop. 13. The next door neighbors were $5800 for a slightly larger house on a smaller lot.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

houndawg wrote:Trivia: When we sold my parents home in CA in '94 the taxes were $600/year because of Prop. 13. The next door neighbors were $5800 for a slightly larger house on a smaller lot.
What is Living Large as a Minority while Whitey Next Door Pays Your Way?
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CAA Flagship wrote:
houndawg wrote:Trivia: When we sold my parents home in CA in '94 the taxes were $600/year because of Prop. 13. The next door neighbors were $5800 for a slightly larger house on a smaller lot.
What is Living Large as a Minority while Whitey Next Door Pays Your Way?

lol....once the house left the family (and I took the old cars down off of their blocks) they jumped to over $5k. :lol:
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

houndawg wrote:
SDHornet wrote: Don't worry, they've been steadily leaving CA for a while now but this latest stuff should expedite the exodus. But the leftists in this state tax more than just the wealthy, they upped the gas tax and increased car registration recently so they are giving it to everyone.

I have 20 acres that needs mowed so if you decide to leave I can throw you some work.
You’re in Illinois...why would anyone move there... :rofl:

According to United Van Lines, Illinois tops the 2017 list with the highest per centage of moves being outbound moves...

https://www.unitedvanlines.com/contact- ... study-2017

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

houndawg wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: What is Living Large as a Minority while Whitey Next Door Pays Your Way?

lol....once the house left the family (and I took the old cars down off of their blocks) they jumped to over $5k. :lol:
Why is that? What happened? Was it grandfathered?
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Well obviously you need somebody to do it for you since you dont have enough sense to keep your cellphone out of the bush hog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Col Hogan wrote:
houndawg wrote:
You’re in Illinois...why would anyone move there... :rofl:

According to United Van Lines, Illinois tops the 2017 list with the highest per centage of moves being outbound moves...

https://www.unitedvanlines.com/contact- ... study-2017
1. Vermont
2. Oregon
3. Idaho
4. Nevada
5. South Dakota
6. Washington
7. South Carolina
8. North Carolina
9. Colorado
10. Alabama

We're #7! I bet 90% of people moving to SC are from Ohio...Ohioans LOVE South Carolina.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Chizzang wrote:

Might want to brush up on current population trends:
The state with the largest downside risk appears to be Illinois, which will lose one congressional seat in 2020 and is in danger of being the only state in the U.S. to lose two seats.

Illinois suffered the largest net population loss of any state in the past year, and due to that loss, it was overtaken by Pennsylvania this year as the fifth-largest state in the country. Major tax increases passed in 2017 will certainly not help this downward economic spiral.

The 2017 Census estimates also contain some troubling news for the nation’s largest state, California. While the 2010 Census was the first in state history to not add an additional congressional seat, 2020 could be worse for the Golden State.

Some current projections show high-tax California is on the bubble to actually lose a congressional seat in 2020 — a shocking development for a state that gained seven seats between 1980 and 1990 alone.

For history buffs, it is possible that high-tax Rhode Island will lose one of its two congressional seats in 2020. That will be the first time since 1789 that Rhode Island only has one congressional seat.

Meanwhile, another state with extremely high tax burdens, New York, is set to lose yet another seat in 2020, the eighth census in a row that the Empire State has forfeited seats. Going back to the 1940 Census, New York is currently down 18 congressional seats on net. The new count in 2020 would add to that alarming trend.

On a more optimistic note, a duo of no-income tax states (a key factor in economic competitiveness), Florida and Texas, are the likely big winners in 2020. Current projections have Florida gaining two new seats, with Texas likely set to gain two to three new seats.
http://thehill.com/opinion/finance/3695 ... tax-states
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

93henfan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

The state with the largest downside risk appears to be Illinois, which will lose one congressional seat in 2020 and is in danger of being the only state in the U.S. to lose two seats.

Illinois suffered the largest net population loss of any state in the past year, and due to that loss, it was overtaken by Pennsylvania this year as the fifth-largest state in the country. Major tax increases passed in 2017 will certainly not help this downward economic spiral.

The 2017 Census estimates also contain some troubling news for the nation’s largest state, California. While the 2010 Census was the first in state history to not add an additional congressional seat, 2020 could be worse for the Golden State.

Some current projections show high-tax California is on the bubble to actually lose a congressional seat in 2020 — a shocking development for a state that gained seven seats between 1980 and 1990 alone.

For history buffs, it is possible that high-tax Rhode Island will lose one of its two congressional seats in 2020. That will be the first time since 1789 that Rhode Island only has one congressional seat.

Meanwhile, another state with extremely high tax burdens, New York, is set to lose yet another seat in 2020, the eighth census in a row that the Empire State has forfeited seats. Going back to the 1940 Census, New York is currently down 18 congressional seats on net. The new count in 2020 would add to that alarming trend.

On a more optimistic note, a duo of no-income tax states (a key factor in economic competitiveness), Florida and Texas, are the likely big winners in 2020. Current projections have Florida gaining two new seats, with Texas likely set to gain two to three new seats.
Ya...
So retired people are moving to Florida and Texas
You don't say

The number of Americans ages 65 and older is projected to more than double from 46 million today to over 98 million by 2060, and the 65-and-older age group’s share of the total population will rise to nearly 24 percent from 15 percent.
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Chizzang wrote:
93henfan wrote:

Ya...
You don't say

The number of Americans ages 65 and older is projected to more than double from 46 million today to over 98 million by 2060, and the 65-and-older age group’s share of the total population will rise to nearly 24 percent from 15 percent.
And we know who the majority of retired people usually vote for. http://news.gallup.com/poll/168083/seni ... party.aspx
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

Chizzang wrote:
93henfan wrote:

Ya...
You don't say

Yea, I’m sure all the businesses moving to Texas are bringing retired folks here...

https://www.jllrealviews.com/places/big ... for-texas/

And while this one is a couple of years old, it is still accurate...in fact, I’d wager it’s gotten worse in Cali and better in Texas...again, I’m sure it’s only retired folks coming with these companies...

http://interactives.dallasnews.com/2015 ... elocation/

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

93henfan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

It’s been few years since I’ve looked but Washington has no income tax and is top 10 in growth.

But it’s also near the top in total taxes (they find other ways to get it).

Being near the top in total taxes is bad except that the top 25 states are a statistical tie.