CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Re: "Shithole Countries"

Post by CitadelGrad »

dbackjon wrote:
HI54UNI wrote:Truth hurts. What skills or benefit do they bring to the US? They just bring the shithole part with them.
You mean like this guy from Shithole Ghana?

http://www.wthitv.com/content/national/ ... ml?ref=743

SOLDIER, IMMIGRANT FROM GHANA, DIES RESCUING NEIGHBORS IN BRONX FIRE

Pretty much everyone emigrated to the US because their country/area was a shithole at the time. It is usually the best and the brighest that have the willpower to leave and make a better life. These are exactly the people we want.
So, you think we should brain-drain developing countries, making them even shittier shitholes?
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

JohnStOnge wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Politicians say all kind of stuff these days. Trump's poorly timed comment here is very akin to Hillary's "deplorable" comment - politicians writing off whole swaths of people on a whim. There's a reason I didn't vote for either of them in the past election. If you didn't get upset about the earlier comment I don't see how you can get upset about this one.
Taken in context Clinton's "deplorables" comment was spot on. She started off by saying that, yes, a lot of Trump supporters were in that category but went on to say that a lot of other ones were motivated by understandable concerns. And I think she was right.

phpBB [video]

The point of what she was saying is that, yes, it's a given that there is this core of nasty people supporting Trump but there area also a lot of people who have legitimate concerns. And I think that 2016 election season did tell us that there IS a block in the Republican base composed of hateful, ignorant people. Deplorable people. It is what it is. Her description of the situation was accurate.
JSO, you're a proponent of the idea that genetic differences across ethnic groups account for differences in IQ scores and that national IQ scores determine how advanced a society is.

Are you telling me you think we could bring a bunch of regular, poor people from Ethiopia or Somalia and turn them into doctors and scientists?
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: RE: Re: "Shithole Countries"

Post by SeattleGriz »

CID1990 wrote:One of the most fascinating transformations I see is in brand new, young foreign service officers- at their first consular assignment

we come in about 95% liberal, 3% moderate, and 2% conservative

that breakdown remains throughout the state dept with one exception- after one or two consular tours, most officers will agree that our immigration system is a train wreck, and the diversity visa program is one of the lowest hanging fruit

BTW- not many people realize this (but it may come up soon) - the DV program has a formula by which they determine if we have "enough" people from a given country.

About 3 years ago, it was determined that we had enough Nigerians, so the DV program in Nigeria ended. They still have family based immigration, but the DV program is gone.

DV is absolutely fraud-ridden as well. An applicant wins the lottery and then they have the golden ticket. In many cases they get paid to add fake family members, particularly spouses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gotta say I really like reading your insights on the government stuff you are familiar with. I try to find the truth in the media, but never really know where that is.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Should we should allow a multitude of uneducated (or poorly educated) people come to the US and fail in their attempt to thrive in the 21st Century economy? Should we allow these people to come, fail to get jobs OR take jobs away from the low-no income people that are already here and swell our welfare rolls? I get the argument of these people doing jobs that Americans either don't do or want to do - but it exacerbates the problem.

The fact is that we aren't an agricultural or industrial economy anymore - the economy that allowed potato farmers come here in the late 19th/early 20th Century and seamlessly go into a manufacturing plant or assembly line and eek out a decent living. America should accept the best and brightest - and that will allow us to continue to become a country that can spend billions on humanitarian causes around the globe. It'll allow us to be competitive. I'm all for legal immigration. I'm all for these "dreamers" staying (as long as they become citizens within a certain time frame). I'm all for accepting people in on humanitarian reasons. But I don't think it is in the best interest of the USA to just accept every person that shows up and wouldn't be able to thrive and prosper in our country. :twocents: :twocents:
I think "skill" is less important than getting quality people. Get a quality person (clean history) and they will probably thrive as much as anyone else. But the problem is that some countries have a difficult time verifying these individuals due to poor recordkeeping, corruption, etc. And the corrupt governments would be happy to pawn off their bad seeds onto us. This is the "shithole" part, the governments.
Sometimes they're governments that we installed, or we prop up, or whose campaigns we supported ( :))
and they're emigrating because they're being preyed upon by our puppets.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Possibly another manifestation of Trump's corruption of the Republican Party. Cotton and Perdue saying that the they didn't remember Trump "...saying those comments specifically." And an Administration Official says "“I don’t recall him saying that exact phrase."

Those comments should've raised anybody's Antennae. And, sure enough, today we find that it looks like they were using their recollection that he said "shithouse" instead of "shithole" to issue misleading statements. At this point the Trump comments themselves don't matter as much as being in this situation where Republicans have totally thrown integrity out the window in order to keep their heads up his rectum.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

JohnStOnge wrote:Possibly another manifestation of Trump's corruption of the Republican Party. Cotton and Perdue saying that the they didn't remember Trump "...saying those comments specifically." And an Administration Official says "“I don’t recall him saying that exact phrase."

Those comments should've raised anybody's Antennae. And, sure enough, today we find that it looks like they were using their recollection that he said "shithouse" instead of "shithole" to issue misleading statements. At this point the Trump comments themselves don't matter as much as being in this situation where Republicans have totally thrown integrity out the window in order to keep their heads up his rectum.
Again, if you have a problem with what was said (and I'm looking at you Durbin), how about having the balls to say something right then and there. At least ask for clarification. At most say that language is inappropriate.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: RE: Re: "Shithole Countries"

Post by SeattleGriz »

CAA Flagship wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:Possibly another manifestation of Trump's corruption of the Republican Party. Cotton and Perdue saying that the they didn't remember Trump "...saying those comments specifically." And an Administration Official says "“I don’t recall him saying that exact phrase."

Again, if you have a problem with what was said (and I'm looking at you Durbin), how about having the balls to say something right then and there. At least ask for clarification. At most say that language is inappropriate.
Yeah Durbin. The guy who whined about penciled in additions, when he recently did it himself.

We all know on this board how full of shit the majority of politicians on both sides are.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Pwns wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
Taken in context Clinton's "deplorables" comment was spot on. She started off by saying that, yes, a lot of Trump supporters were in that category but went on to say that a lot of other ones were motivated by understandable concerns. And I think she was right.

phpBB [video]

The point of what she was saying is that, yes, it's a given that there is this core of nasty people supporting Trump but there area also a lot of people who have legitimate concerns. And I think that 2016 election season did tell us that there IS a block in the Republican base composed of hateful, ignorant people. Deplorable people. It is what it is. Her description of the situation was accurate.
JSO, you're a proponent of the idea that genetic differences across ethnic groups account for differences in IQ scores and that national IQ scores determine how advanced a society is.

Are you telling me you think we could bring a bunch of regular, poor people from Ethiopia or Somalia and turn them into doctors and scientists?
Dude

He's literally had a mental snap

This is what a person sounds like when their brain cells are literally at war with each other

dont expect consistency

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Pwns wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

phpBB [video]

I don't know what that has to do with the post to which you were responding but the answer is no. However, you could bring only highly intelligent people from Ethiopia or Somalia and do that.

What I've said is that I think there are genetic reasons for differences in distributions IQ scores. That does not mean that, for example, there is no such thing as a genius level IQ Black Person.

In fact I noted that recently when the news media were featuring the Black guy from Haiti who graduated from West Point and had tears streaming down his face. He graduated as the top ranked Physics student. I thought as I was watching it "that guy has a genius level IQ." If you graduate as the top rated Physics student at West Point I think you almost certainly have a genius level IQ.
Could I ever be a star?

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Pwns wrote:

I don't know what that has to do with the post to which you were responding but the answer is no. However, you could bring only highly intelligent people from Ethiopia or Somalia and do that.

What I've said is that I think there are genetic reasons for differences in distributions IQ scores. That does not mean that, for example, there is no such thing as a genius level IQ Black Person.

In fact I noted that recently when the news media were featuring the Black guy from Haiti who graduated from West Point and had tears streaming down his face. He graduated as the top ranked Physics student. I thought as I was watching it "that guy has a genius level IQ." If you graduate as the top rated Physics student at West Point I think you almost certainly have a genius level IQ.
How do you you know Trump was talking about bringing exceptional people and not just bringing typical people from these countries in? That's the way I took it.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote:We don't need more people here (already have upwards of 330 million).
We don't need more cheap labor, already have ample.

If they're not immigrants who are highly skilled/educated/STEM, or wealthy, then we don't need them, and I can't think of a single reason to let them in/stay..
You ain't seen nothin yet, one day you're going to wake up and find that the Chinese have settled flyover country. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

houndawg wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:We don't need more people here (already have upwards of 330 million).
We don't need more cheap labor, already have ample.

If they're not immigrants who are highly skilled/educated/STEM, or wealthy, then we don't need them, and I can't think of a single reason to let them in/stay..
You ain't seen nothin yet, one day you're going to wake up and find that the Chinese have settled flyover country. :coffee:
They already have. And they think they are the fucking Crimson Tide. :ohno: :ohno:

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CAA Flagship wrote:
houndawg wrote:
They already have. And they think they are the **** Crimson Tide. :ohno: :ohno:

And they’ll steal all the US intellectual property they can get their thieving Fu Manchu hands on.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Pwns wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

How do you you know Trump was talking about bringing exceptional people and not just bringing typical people from these countries in? That's the way I took it.
If he really did make distinctions based on countries then, obviously, he wasn't talking about individuals. He was talking about countries.

Look, the main thing is that we again have yet another situation where Trump and, unfortunately, other Republicans are lying through their asses about what happened. You know that's the case. If you have any critical thinking skill at all and you've been watching what they've been saying you know that.

Like when the Homeland Security Secretary was asked if Trump said "shithole" or something similar and she said something like "I don't recall him saying that." And then she's asked did he say anything LIKE that and she says something like "he used rough language." She absolutely would never directly answer a "yes or no" question with "yes" or "no."

When you're doing that you might as well go ahead and just admit that he said it. Then people can decide whether it matters to them if he said it or not. But don't continue this crap of trying to lie and/or mislead people.
Could I ever be a star?

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Pwns wrote:
If he really did make distinctions based on countries then, obviously, he wasn't talking about individuals. He was talking about countries.

Look, the main thing is that we again have yet another situation where Trump and, unfortunately, other Republicans are lying through their asses about what happened. You know that's the case. If you have any critical thinking skill at all and you've been watching what they've been saying you know that.

Like when the Homeland Security Secretary was asked if Trump said "shithole" or something similar and she said something like "I don't recall him saying that." And then she's asked did he say anything LIKE that and she says something like "he used rough language." She absolutely would never directly answer a "yes or no" question with "yes" or "no."

When you're doing that you might as well go ahead and just admit that he said it. Then people can decide whether it matters to them if he said it or not. But don't continue this crap of trying to lie and/or mislead people.
Hey, Mr. Lie Detector, did Trump just say Norway or did he say Norway and Asia?
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:That's where our philosophical difference is. You see immigration from a point-of-view that adds to the economic value of America; I see it from a point-of-view that adds to the social value of America being the beacon for anyone escaping oppression and seeking freedom, whether they be rich or poor, skilled or unskilled.
Our “social” system can’t take any more “social value” ....it’s bankrupting the country.

...a half-trillion per year and 800 bases overseas is bankrupting us along with about 90 billion per year in corporate subsidies that are apparently necessary to prop up our profitable corporations. :coffee: