While everybody is pondering genius, stability, and Russia....

Political discussions
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

While everybody is pondering genius, stability, and Russia....

Post by CID1990 »

Congress slips a new FISA rider into an unrelated bill....

https://hotair.com/archives/2018/01/07/ ... bill-week/

The only thing about this that is entertaining is that we are going to see Republicans and Democrats flip sides now that there's a different administration in the White Hizzouse
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: While everybody is pondering genius, stability, and Russia....

Post by 93henfan »

Isn’t pretty much everything you transmit via the Intarwebs or a cell tower already bulk-stored as metadata and fair game for later warrant search anyway?
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

There should be a law against riders like that. Delaware has a state constitutional provision requiring the title of a bill to match the content of the text, effectively preventing dead-of-night “unrelated riders.”
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

93henfan wrote:Isn’t pretty much everything you transmit via the Intarwebs or a cell tower already bulk-stored as metadata and fair game for later warrant search anyway?
one person
one warrant
probable cause

all else is BS

and quite frankly, I have nothing but violent thoughts about people in government who forget it or ignore it

bodies are buried right there in the backyard.. which is accessible to any cop who wants to walk back there with a shovel - its the same principle - do it without a warrant absent exigent circumstances and its off limits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:
93henfan wrote:Isn’t pretty much everything you transmit via the Intarwebs or a cell tower already bulk-stored as metadata and fair game for later warrant search anyway?
one person
one warrant
probable cause

all else is BS

and quite frankly, I have nothing but violent thoughts about people in government who forget it or ignore it

bodies are buried right there in the backyard.. which is accessible to any cop who wants to walk back there with a shovel - its the same principle - do it without a warrant absent exigent circumstances and its off limits

:nod:
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

One good thing about Trump being in office...let's face it, with a Republican POTUS and congress, people are going to be a lot more leery of this, because, you know, Trump's Hitler and stuff.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Pwns wrote:One good thing about Trump being in office...let's face it, with a Republican POTUS and congress, people are going to be a lot more leery of this, because, you know, Trump's Hitler and stuff.
Trump is as much a statist choad as Hillary or any other establishment Democrat - the Feinstein set won't say dick about it..... if they thought they had a chance of losing the WH again in 2020 they would, but they already think they are going to win

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:
Pwns wrote:One good thing about Trump being in office...let's face it, with a Republican POTUS and congress, people are going to be a lot more leery of this, because, you know, Trump's Hitler and stuff.
Trump is as much a statist choad as Hillary or any other establishment Democrat - the Feinstein set won't say dick about it..... if they thought they had a chance of losing the WH again in 2020 they would, but they already think they are going to win

Feinstein wouldnt say dick anyway. She loves her some security state... :ohno:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

That's my point

Part of the problem with the "moderate" Dems and the "moderate" Repubs is that there's so little daylight between them on issues of liberty
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:
kalm wrote:
That's my point

Part of the problem with the "moderate" Dems and the "moderate" Repubs is that there's so little daylight between them on issues of liberty
:nod:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

We need more Amash's and Sasse's. We need less Pelosi's and Schiffs. I know there are some decent Dems out there, but the party leadership is a bunch of useless fucks. Would love to see Dback defend this...

Baldy's favorite journalist chimes in...
THAT LEADING HOUSE DEMOCRATS (their minority leader and top Intelligence Committee member) united with Trump to support this bill and oppose reform amendments, was sufficient to cause enough Democrats to side with Trump and ensure passage of the bill. The Trump-favored bill ended up passing by a vote of 256-164.

As the American Civil Liberties Union put it bluntly about the bill supported by Pelosi and Schiff: “The House just passed a bill to give the Trump administration greater authority to spy on Americans, immigrants, journalists, dissidents, and everyone else.” The privacy group Electronic Frontier Foundation echoed that sentiment: “The House just approved the disastrous NSA surveillance extension bill that will allow for continued, unconstitutional surveillance that hurts the American people and violates our Fourth Amendment rights.”

While Trump, as president, is the head of the executive branch, the official with the greatest control over the FBI they just empowered is his attorney general, Jeff Sessions. In other words, Pelosi, Schiff, and their allies just voted to vest great, unchecked power in an official the Democrats have (with good reason) long denounced as corrupt and deeply racist. As Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden (who has vowed with Rand Paul to filibuster the bill when it reaches the Senate) put it yesterday: “This Section 702 bill would give AG Jeff Sessions unchecked power to use this information against Americans. This bill prevents his decisions from EVER being challenged in court.”
https://theintercept.com/2018/01/12/the ... ng-powers/
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

kalm wrote:We need more Amash's and Sasse's. We need less Pelosi's and Schiffs. I know there are some decent Dems out there, but the party leadership is a bunch of useless ****. Would love to see Dback defend this...

THAT LEADING HOUSE DEMOCRATS (their minority leader and top Intelligence Committee member) united with Trump to support this bill and oppose reform amendments, was sufficient to cause enough Democrats to side with Trump and ensure passage of the bill. The Trump-favored bill ended up passing by a vote of 256-164.

As the American Civil Liberties Union put it bluntly about the bill supported by Pelosi and Schiff: “The House just passed a bill to give the Trump administration greater authority to spy on Americans, immigrants, journalists, dissidents, and everyone else.” The privacy group Electronic Frontier Foundation echoed that sentiment: “The House just approved the disastrous NSA surveillance extension bill that will allow for continued, unconstitutional surveillance that hurts the American people and violates our Fourth Amendment rights.”

While Trump, as president, is the head of the executive branch, the official with the greatest control over the FBI they just empowered is his attorney general, Jeff Sessions. In other words, Pelosi, Schiff, and their allies just voted to vest great, unchecked power in an official the Democrats have (with good reason) long denounced as corrupt and deeply racist. As Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden (who has vowed with Rand Paul to filibuster the bill when it reaches the Senate) put it yesterday: “This Section 702 bill would give AG Jeff Sessions unchecked power to use this information against Americans. This bill prevents his decisions from EVER being challenged in court.”
I was opposed to Obama from the very beginning of his campaign...but one item in his campaign that I wanted to see him succeed on was killing key aspects of the Bush-era “Patriot Act”...which this legislation is part of...

But true to form, with any politician, once in office, they like the power this legislation provides them...and Obama, instead of working to rid us of this onerous law, worked to strengthen it...

Which is why Polosi and Schiff support this law...politicians of most stripes like the power and use claims that it is necessary to protect us peons...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote:We need more Amash's and Sasse's. We need less Pelosi's and Schiffs. I know there are some decent Dems out there, but the party leadership is a bunch of useless fucks. Would love to see Dback defend this...

I like Ben Sasse - the guy has not moved from his position of thinking Trump is bad for America, an idiot, etc...
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17