Political discussions
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Gannonfan Goes to Washington, er, sort of

Post by GannonFan »

Funny story. Last election day, I had to take the kids to the dentist so I took off work in the morning. After a thoroughly boring trip to the dentist (one of those pediatric centered dentist places - lots of toys and kids videos playing - plus they give them a gist bag at the end - very odd, but a different topic for a different day) I'm taking the kids home before going to work and I decide to swing by the township building so I can vote. Obviously, no national races last November, being an off year, so it's just a whole bunch of local offices - school board, township offices, tax collector, etc. We go through the ballot and I have all three boys with me in the booth picking names we either know or just spreading around the votes. So we end up getting down to "Township Auditor" and there's no names registered for either party. I say, "hey, let's write my name in as a write-in vote". We do that, cast the votes, and that's that.

Fast forward to just before Thanksgiving, I get a letter in the mail from the county board of elections - apparently, it's a tie (my littlest one loves this, he instantly channels his inner-Lin Manuel Miranda and goes to the Election of 1800 song from "Hamilton") and they cast lots at high noon the day after Thanksgiving. I'm of course busy coaching multiple kids sports teams, so I don't go. Turns out 7 other people wrote their names in so it was a 7 way tie. So 7 votes cast in an election where about 2500 people voted.

Fast forward to sometime before Christmas, and my wife calls me after getting the mail. There's a big envelope in the mail and wouldn't ya know it, it's a fancy form from the electoral board that I won. I quickly look up Township auditor in the PA state code to find out what they do - it's a 6 year term, I get paid $10 an hour, I have subpoena power, but basically in this kind of a township (i.e. a populated one) there's an outside auditing firm and the role is somewhat ceremonial.

So today, I go to the Township building, I get sworn in (a real swearing in, bible and everything. I officially now have pledged to defend the US Constitution!) and I'm officially a Township Auditor. My first elected position. I know have a story to tell at parties for years to come. :thumb:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Gannonfan Goes to Washington, er, sort of

Post by Ibanez »

:lol: I love democracy. :lol:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

GannonFan wrote:Funny story. Last election day, I had to take the kids to the dentist so I took off work in the morning. After a thoroughly boring trip to the dentist (one of those pediatric centered dentist places - lots of toys and kids videos playing - plus they give them a gist bag at the end - very odd, but a different topic for a different day) I'm taking the kids home before going to work and I decide to swing by the township building so I can vote. Obviously, no national races last November, being an off year, so it's just a whole bunch of local offices - school board, township offices, tax collector, etc. We go through the ballot and I have all three boys with me in the booth picking names we either know or just spreading around the votes. So we end up getting down to "Township Auditor" and there's no names registered for either party. I say, "hey, let's write my name in as a write-in vote". We do that, cast the votes, and that's that.

Fast forward to just before Thanksgiving, I get a letter in the mail from the county board of elections - apparently, it's a tie (my littlest one loves this, he instantly channels his inner-Lin Manuel Miranda and goes to the Election of 1800 song from "Hamilton") and they cast lots at high noon the day after Thanksgiving. I'm of course busy coaching multiple kids sports teams, so I don't go. Turns out 7 other people wrote their names in so it was a 7 way tie. So 7 votes cast in an election where about 2500 people voted.

Fast forward to sometime before Christmas, and my wife calls me after getting the mail. There's a big envelope in the mail and wouldn't ya know it, it's a fancy form from the electoral board that I won. I quickly look up Township auditor in the PA state code to find out what they do - it's a 6 year term, I get paid $10 an hour, I have subpoena power, but basically in this kind of a township (i.e. a populated one) there's an outside auditing firm and the role is somewhat ceremonial.

So today, I go to the Township building, I get sworn in (a real swearing in, bible and everything. I officially now have pledged to defend the US Constitution!) and I'm officially a Township Auditor. My first elected position. I know have a story to tell at parties for years to come. :thumb:
:lol:

Welcome to the world of being an elected official. Use your power wisely (or at least use it to get rich)!
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Can you fix a parking ticket for me???
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

:lol: :thumb: :notworthy:

You should be able to find a way to make some money over 6 years.

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Congrats!

First Township Auditor, next, the White House!
:thumb:
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

GannonFan = Swamp Monster ;)
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

:notworthy: :notworthy: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Great...another pro-establishment conk in office... :ohno:
Spoiler: show
this is kind of awesome. Congrats!
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

You totally need to channel your inner Gilbert & Sullivan and go all Lord High Executioner at your first Township meeting...
Spoiler: show
And good lord man, you need to "accidently" leave an old Playboy in your kid's bathroom just to get you son [SON] back on track...
Proletarians of the world, unite!
VictorG
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Post by VictorG »

Can you get pot holes fixed? I have one that need filling. It's called Idaho!
Politicians are like Diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason
- Mark Twain
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Nice job, Ganny! :thumb: And you can still straddle that center stripe.... 8-)
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Jjoey52
Level2
Level2

Post by Jjoey52 »

Cool, you must keep us informed of how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Great story Gannon! :thumb:

Next step is to create the Gannon Foundation in which you take contributions from local businesses to look the other way on certain audits and regulations...and keep all your files on a server in your bathroom and deny any intent of wrong doing. JSO would certainly approve and proclaim you to be the most moral and competent township auditor of all time. :nod: :lol:
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

Congrats!! You'll have to look up where you rank in the line of succession in case the Designated Survivor scenario plays out!
Make Delaware Football Great Again
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

bluehenbillk wrote:Congrats!! You'll have to look up where you rank in the line of succession in case the Designated Survivor scenario plays out!

1,234,666th
:thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

I'm already being encouraged to do something with a bit more meat in it - possibly a seat on the local Water Authority Board (as a township representative - multiple townships share the same local Water Authority) or a plumb job on the Local Sewer Authority. Now that would be almost literally getting into the swamp! My wife is being sought after for a spot on the Parks Commission board so we could turn into a power couple, locally speaking of course. However, if this is how JSO and his wife started I'll have to put the brakes on this right away.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote:I'm already being encouraged to do something with a bit more meat in it - possibly a seat on the local Water Authority Board (as a township representative - multiple townships share the same local Water Authority) or a plumb job on the Local Sewer Authority. Now that would be almost literally getting into the swamp! My wife is being sought after for a spot on the Parks Commission board so we could turn into a power couple, locally speaking of course. However, if this is how JSO and his wife started I'll have to put the brakes on this right away.
Plum

But plumb is funnier! :rofl:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote:I'm already being encouraged to do something with a bit more meat in it - possibly a seat on the local Water Authority Board (as a township representative - multiple townships share the same local Water Authority) or a plumb job on the Local Sewer Authority. Now that would be almost literally getting into the swamp! My wife is being sought after for a spot on the Parks Commission board so we could turn into a power couple, locally speaking of course. However, if this is how JSO and his wife started I'll have to put the brakes on this right away.
Vote GannonFan! The beating heart of the administrative state! :clap: :thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote:
Plum

But plumb is funnier! :rofl:
:kisswink:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Please refer to her with the appropriate title: First Lady :nod: :nod:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Please refer to her with the appropriate title: First Lady :nod: :nod:
We did joke about having some kind of party after I got sworn in, something where we'd ask everyone to wear really fancy clothes and treat it like an inaugural.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

I hear there's some guys from Jersey that want to talk to you about the street and garbage contracts.

If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Gannonfan Goes to Washington, er, sort of

Post by CID1990 »

So let me get this straight-

youre the guy that makes sure the money is accounted for and spent the way it was supposed to be?

does your wife know about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris