Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Government Shutdown Thread

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote:
kalm wrote:
It's bigly yuge for some, we'll see if it is for the country as a whole years from now. 40% of tax receipts used to come from corporate taxes, now it's 10%. I can see the argument for that but you have to either 1) replace that revenue elsewhere (EG: Reagan's tax increases on the middle class) or cut spending which neither side is good at. Then there's the history of deregulation and high end tax cuts followed by a crash thing. We've seen that movie a few times.

I'm not saying it won't work, but to continue JSO's analogy, we're sort of betting on the cab driver somehow, some way getting us to our destination despite the .20 BAC.
The word "either" implies that there are only two ways to narrow the gap. There are other ways that the gap is filled including wage increases, productivity, and transaction velocity.
The other thing that is unique to this tax cut is the repatriation of offshore corporate cash.
http://fortune.com/2018/01/18/apple-ove ... -tax-plan/
Explain transaction velocity.

Agree on wage increases but can they be relied upon?

Productivity? That's cute:

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: The word "either" implies that there are only two ways to narrow the gap. There are other ways that the gap is filled including wage increases, productivity, and transaction velocity.
The other thing that is unique to this tax cut is the repatriation of offshore corporate cash.
http://fortune.com/2018/01/18/apple-ove ... -tax-plan/

Transaction velocity: Every time money changes hands, it is taxed. If there is more money is people's pocket, they have, historically, proved to spend it. And increased job security (consumer confidence) will provide a "spendy" environment.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote:
kalm wrote:

Transaction velocity: Every time money changes hands, it is taxed. If there is more money is people's pocket, they have, historically, proved to spend it. And increased job security (consumer confidence) will provide a "spendy" environment.
Gotcha. So you’d be in favor of a VAT and financial transactions tax?

Commie... :ohno:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:
So, you agree that Chuck is far more a detriment to the US than Trump...short of nuclear war???
No. There's a "...could ever be..." in the question. Besides, I think Donald Trump being President of the United States is already more a detriment to this country than Chuck has been. Nothing this bad has ever happened to the United States in terms of who they put into positions of authority. This is really bad. This is like getting in a taxi and noting that the driver is really, really drunk. I'm not talking about like a 0.08 BAC. I'm talking like something like a 0.20. It's absolutely nuts. Again: We have a totally unqualified, mentally ill, totally dishonest person in what is the most powerful single position in our government. It is absolutely stupid to have this situation.
Your hate of Trump is clouding your judgement. :coffee:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Transaction velocity: Every time money changes hands, it is taxed. If there is more money is people's pocket, they have, historically, proved to spend it. And increased job security (consumer confidence) will provide a "spendy" environment.

No. The tax system we have right now will generate increased tax revenue from increased velocity.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

BTW, saw ol Chuckie boy trying to blame the Republicans for the shutdown last night and even NBC News couldn't agree with him.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:BTW, saw ol Chuckie boy trying to blame the Republicans for the shutdown last night and even NBC News couldn't agree with him.
CNN already called it a Democratic failure, both the shutdown and the backing off of the shutdown. Progressive Democrats are killing the Dems in power in Washington right now for caving in. Extremism doesn't like compromise or any working at all with the other side, and to the Progressives, Schumer is practically a Republican. Schumer's lost a step lately.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote:
Rob Iola wrote: Except that he managed to get Congress to fix the corporate tax rate, returning business capital back to the US - that's bigly yuge...
It's bigly yuge for some, we'll see if it is for the country as a whole years from now. 40% of tax receipts used to come from corporate taxes, now it's 10%. I can see the argument for that but you have to either 1) replace that revenue elsewhere (EG: Reagan's tax increases on the middle class) or cut spending which neither side is good at. Then there's the history of deregulation and high end tax cuts followed by a crash thing. We've seen that movie a few times.

I'm not saying it won't work, but to continue JSO's analogy, we're sort of betting on the cab driver somehow, some way getting us to our destination despite the .20 BAC.
Link?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote:
kalm wrote:

No. The tax system we have right now will generate increased tax revenue from increased velocity.
Like in the 80’s or 2000’s?
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

My friend works for the IRS and rides a commuter bus from Elkridge to DC. He said he got to the bus stop parking lot and no one was there. Usually 15-20 cars. He said fuck it too and came home. Seems like the gov't workers were planning one a week or so of vacation and weren't ready to come back to work so early.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
Rob Iola wrote: Except that he managed to get Congress to fix the corporate tax rate, returning business capital back to the US - that's bigly yuge...

Here’s a novel idea to help make up for the loss of those corporate revenues:

Spend less

Maybe Chizzang can give us an update on that magic amount of money this government insists it needs annually. How many trillions again?

I think we can research the sex habits of earthworms on the universities’ dime
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote:
kalm wrote:

Link?
https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-t ... -come-from

I rounded up a little but still in the mid to upper 30’s.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:
kalm wrote:

Spend less

Maybe Chizzang can give us an update on that magic amount of money this government insists it needs annually. How many trillions again?

Gotta get back to entitlement reform to “spend less” in a meaningful way. And in terms of discretionary spending, end the education, energy, and commerce departments. For starters. — IvyBudgethawk
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ivytalk wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Spend less

Gotta get back to entitlement reform to “spend less” in a meaningful way. And in terms of discretionary spending, end the education, energy, and commerce departments. For starters. — IvyBudgethawk
Then who will force healthy lunches that nobody eats on our school children?
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Gotta get back to entitlement reform to “spend less” in a meaningful way. And in terms of discretionary spending, end the education, energy, and commerce departments. For starters. — IvyBudgethawk
Michelle Obama! Oh, wait...
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Gotta get back to entitlement reform to “spend less” in a meaningful way. And in terms of discretionary spending, end the education, energy, and commerce departments. For starters. — IvyBudgethawk
Those lunches really are crap. I've seen some of this up close the past few years. My FiL (using a Boeing grant) has developed a textbook and been teaching SC cafeteria workers how to make healthy food. He's had to review the guidelines of what the districts are allowed to purchase, how to prepare....it's disgusting. Cheese pizza is considered a vegetable. Cheese pizza. :ohno:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

andy7171 wrote:My friend works for the IRS and rides a commuter bus from Elkridge to DC. He said he got to the bus stop parking lot and no one was there. Usually 15-20 cars. He said fuck it too and came home. Seems like the gov't workers were planning one a week or so of vacation and weren't ready to come back to work so early.

Sorry to counter your anecdote, but my MTA commuter bus from Kent Island (with an intermediate stop in Davidsonville) was full. DC streets are at full bustle.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

93henfan wrote:
andy7171 wrote:My friend works for the IRS and rides a commuter bus from Elkridge to DC. He said he got to the bus stop parking lot and no one was there. Usually 15-20 cars. He said fuck it too and came home. Seems like the gov't workers were planning one a week or so of vacation and weren't ready to come back to work so early.

Sorry to counter your anecdote, but my MTA commuter bus from Kent Island (with an intermediate stop in Davidsonville) was full. DC streets are at full bustle.
:roll:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Ibanez wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Then who will force healthy lunches that nobody eats on our school children?
Those lunches really are crap. I've seen some of this up close the past few years. My FiL (using a Boeing grant) has developed a textbook and been teaching SC cafeteria workers how to make healthy food. He's had to review the guidelines of what the districts are allowed to purchase, how to prepare....it's disgusting. Cheese pizza is considered a vegetable. Cheese pizza. :ohno:
America. Fuck yeah.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Grizalltheway wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Those lunches really are crap. I've seen some of this up close the past few years. My FiL (using a Boeing grant) has developed a textbook and been teaching SC cafeteria workers how to make healthy food. He's had to review the guidelines of what the districts are allowed to purchase, how to prepare....it's disgusting. Cheese pizza is considered a vegetable. Cheese pizza. :ohno:
America. Fuck yeah.

Yeah!
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

andy7171 wrote:
93henfan wrote:
:roll:
Delmarva people have a work ethic not found west of the Chesapeake. :coffee:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

Grizalltheway wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Those lunches really are crap. I've seen some of this up close the past few years. My FiL (using a Boeing grant) has developed a textbook and been teaching SC cafeteria workers how to make healthy food. He's had to review the guidelines of what the districts are allowed to purchase, how to prepare....it's disgusting. Cheese pizza is considered a vegetable. Cheese pizza. :ohno:
America. Fuck yeah.
It's the tomato sauce dummy! I remember Reagan classified ketchup as a vegetable in the 80's. Who gives a fuck. In school, who the fuck eats their vegetables, besides my niece and nephew? NOONE Its a serious was of money.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

andy7171 wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote: America. Fuck yeah.
It's the tomato sauce dummy! I remember Reagan classified ketchup as a vegetable in the 80's. Who gives a fuck. In school, who the fuck eats their vegetables, besides my niece and nephew? NOONE Its a serious was of money.
I'm sure some snowflake out there doesn't like that I just assigned the label "fruit" to tomato. The tomato should decide that for itself. :coffee:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

andy7171 wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote: America. Fuck yeah.
YOU'RE TOMATO SAUCE DUMMY!!!!
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Ibanez wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Then who will force healthy lunches that nobody eats on our school children?
Our school got wrote up on an inspection because we did not take the calorie count from condiments into account for the overall calorie count of the meal. And then they told us that if we counted, for example, a tbsp of ketchup for a burger and fries in our total calorie count that is all the students could have. The lunch Nazis also wanted us to implement a ban on outside food coming in because they saw some HS boys eating Subway. :ohno: :ohno:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire