Next Up: Garrison Keillor (Prarie Home Companion)

Political discussions
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Next Up: Garrison Keillor (Prarie Home Companion)

Post by GannonFan »

Minnesota Public Radio has fired "Prarie Home Companion" host emeritus Garrison Keillor for alleged misconduct.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/garrison-k ... -behavior/
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Next Up: Garrison Keillor (Prarie Home Companion)

Post by 89Hen »

:lol: There is no end in sight for this.
Jjoey52
Level2
Level2

Post by Jjoey52 »

Wish I knew the exact score but after O’Reilly put conservatives up early, but the libs have come roaring back led by Harvey Weinstein. My guess is the libs have built a sizable lead now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

He's scheduled to be on "Finding Your Roots". Should be interesting where is roots are planted.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Jjoey52 wrote:Wish I knew the exact score but after O’Reilly put conservatives up early, but the libs have come roaring back led by Harvey Weinstein. My guess is the libs have built a sizable lead now.
They are a second half team.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Speaking of teams, this guy looks like he may have played for the other one, amirite?
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

93henfan wrote:Speaking of teams, this guy looks like he may have played for the other one, amirite?
You mean he fu ks dead people? This is the cemetary his Prairie Home Companion (Ugh) was named for.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

:rofl: :rofl: The Pervy Home Companion...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

This really IS getting worrisome. Like look at this from the article:
MPR confirmed Keillor had been fired, saying it learned of "allegations of his inappropriate behavior with an individual who worked with him" and doesn't know of any other similar allegations. The station said it was ending its contracts with Keillor while an internal investigation continues.
It's really not a good idea to have a situation where someone is punished like that just because one person makes an allegation. If we establish the idea that someone is automatically going to be punished if one woman makes an allegation against him that's going to result in some abuse. I think it's obvious.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Jjoey52
Level2
Level2

Post by Jjoey52 »

For once, I agree with JSO, it should certainly be checked out before firing. In this case prior evidence may have been produced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:This really IS getting worrisome. Like look at this from the article:
MPR confirmed Keillor had been fired, saying it learned of "allegations of his inappropriate behavior with an individual who worked with him" and doesn't know of any other similar allegations. The station said it was ending its contracts with Keillor while an internal investigation continues.
It's really not a good idea to have a situation where someone is punished like that just because one person makes an allegation. If we establish the idea that someone is automatically going to be punished if one woman makes an allegation against him that's going to result in some abuse. I think it's obvious.
Your heroine said all women have a right to be believed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

JohnStOnge wrote:This really IS getting worrisome. Like look at this from the article:
You don't think these companies aren't going to investigate a claim? You think they'll wrongly terminate an employee and open themselves up to a multi-million dollar lawsuit? :suspicious: You also don't know the whole story. It could've easily happened this quickly if there was irrefutable evidence and Garrison(Lauer, etc..) admitted to it. You aren't thinking about this from all POVs.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Our country doesn't accept Innocent until proven guilty. :ohno: We vilify, denounce, attack, etc... until someone or something comes along to set the record straight. Then it's a.."whoops. Sorry." :coffee:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:[

If you're talking about Hillary she's not my heroine. Before Trump announced he was running my fervent hope what that the Republicans could find someone to beat her because I thought her winning would be about the most awful thing ever. But then the Republicans came up with someone even worse. So, incredibly, she became the lesser of two evils.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:[

If you're talking about Hillary she's not my heroine. Before Trump announced he was running my fervent hope what that the Republicans could find someone to beat her because I thought her winning would be about the most awful thing ever. But then the Republicans came up with someone even worse. So, incredibly, she became the lesser of two evils.
John,
That is far too subtle for Conservatives to understand
"You're either for us or against us" is how this game works

And secondly
I'm not entirely sure she's actually the lesser of the two evils
It's really pretty close
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
John,
That is far too subtle for Conservatives to understand
"You're either for us or against us" is how this game works

And secondly
I'm not entirely sure she's actually the lesser of the two evils
It's really pretty close
Stop meddling with my trolling

Actually nevermind I think I have you on my stringer as well
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Ibanez wrote:

You don't think these companies aren't going to investigate a claim? You think they'll wrongly terminate an employee and open themselves up to a multi-million dollar lawsuit? :suspicious: You also don't know the whole story. It could've easily happened this quickly if there was irrefutable evidence and Garrison(Lauer, etc..) admitted to it. You aren't thinking about this from all POVs.

Back in the day I was part of a garage band that was selected to play on Praire Home Companion's annual Talent From Towns Under 2,000 show at Town Hall in NYC. Garrison had a "gatekeeper" who was young and not hard to look at - during our short weekend there I didn't pick up any bad vibes and in fact he probably could have porked any of the ladies at the after party judging by all the cleavage and eye moves happening in his vicinity. Pretty much stood around with a drink in his hand until the party was over. Very tall, very dry. Chuckled at the mule dick joke.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

IF Keillor's explanation is viable (and I'm not necessarily saying that it is), I'm on the fence on this one. First off, he should have seen the clothing she was wearing and been a bit more careful about how he was "consoling" her (if, indeed, that was truly his intent). On the other hand, the woman should also have worn a more "complete" top. I can easily see an "accident" happening with a shirt such as Keillor described.

I find it kinda weird how many of these "accidents" are becoming major inflagrante delictos years later....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.