Iowa Is Sinking Fast - Clenz, Get Out NOW!

Political discussions
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Iowa Is Sinking Fast - Clenz, Get Out NOW!

Post by dbackjon »

IOWA NOW DEAD LAST IN GDP GROWTH UNDER ALL-REPUBLICAN CONTROL

https://iowastartingline.com/2017/11/22 ... n-control/

Very bad news this week for both Governor Kim Reynolds and the Republican-controlled Iowa Legislature. The U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) reported the second quarter economic growth by state (GDP). Iowa’s economic growth was a negative .7%, dead last among all 50 states. Of the 50 states, 48 had positive growth in this period. Only Iowa (-.7%) and South Dakota (-.3%) had a negative growth rate.

While one quarter’s performance doesn’t predict future growth, it’s a huge embarrassment for the Iowa Republican Party. The Republican Governor and the GOP control majorities in both branches of the Legislature and have driven Iowa’s economy to last place in the nation. They can’t blame the Democrats for this economic disaster.

This latest economic data simply confirms what most Iowans already know. Republicans’ mismanagement of state government has led Iowa to a budget train wreck. Under their management they have taken a budget surplus of nearly $1 billion in 2013 to a budget deficit this past year. In the Reynolds regime’s struggle to balance the state budget this past year, they slashed spending by $118 million and ended up borrowing another $144 million to end the budget year. One wonders if former Governor Terry Branstad didn’t foresee the budget mess he and Reynolds were creating and decided to abandon ship by taking the China gig.
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Iowa Is Sinking Fast - Clenz, Get Out NOW!

Post by dbackjon »

And it is going to get worse as Corn prices crater if Mexico opens up its markets duty free to Argentina and Brazil (most of the corn, wheat and rice imported into Mexico, billions worth, comes from the US.
:thumb:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Means I need to drive slow thru Iowa this weekend. State is looking for money. ;)
VictorG
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Post by VictorG »

Gil Dobie wrote:Means I need to drive slow thru Iowa this weekend. State is looking for money. ;)
Problem is if you drive slow then you at risk for all those fast food joints along the road....
Politicians are like Diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason
- Mark Twain
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

VictorG wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Means I need to drive slow thru Iowa this weekend. State is looking for money. ;)
Problem is if you drive slow then you at risk for all those fast food joints along the road....
Saving up for Zombie Burger in Des Moines.

Maybe try the funnel cake sandwich this time.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Wait...
So you're saying that "Trickle Down" doesn't work..?
Why that's a shocking economic revelation

(who knew trickle down was so hard)

:lol:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Gil Dobie wrote:
VictorG wrote:
Saving up for Zombie Burger in Des Moines.

Maybe try the funnel cake sandwich this time.
32.1 percent
Iowa now has the 12th highest adult obesity rate in the nation, according to The State of Obesity: Better Policies for a Healthier America released September 2016. Iowa's adult obesity rate is currently 32.1 percent, up from 20.9 percent in 2000 and 12.2 percent in 1990.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Iowa is taking on water while Illinois has already sunk and is sitting at the bottom of the ocean. Rather than trying to raise the state politicians are digging away at the ocean floor in the hopes of sinking her further.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Just thought I’d help back by shortening up his initial post...
dbackjon wrote:IOWA NOW DEAD LAST IN GDP GROWTH UNDER ALL-REPUBLICAN CONTROL

https://iowastartingline.com/2017/11/22 ... n-control/
I admit I have virtually nothing here, since one quarter’s performance doesn’t predict future growth, it’s a huge embarrassment for the Iowa Republican Party and I love embarrassing a GOP-dominated state.

I chose not to pick Texas, a GOP-dominated state as it is near the very top of GDP growth...That would be contrary to the point I’m trying top make...
https://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/region ... elease.htm
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Ok. I'll bite.

1. Fuck you for only thinking of clenz. :evil: :lol:

2. Citing Iowa Starting Line and/or Rick Smith is like citing Democratic Underground or Daily Kos in an argument. :rofl:

3. The 2017 Legislative Session ended on April 21 and Kim Reynolds became governor on May 24. How many bills have her signature on them? Zero.

4. US News says Iowa is 8th in education overall, 6th for PK-12. That's last place?

5. Starve public schools? Schools have gotten more money every year. The last time they had an actual cut was when a Democrat was governor and he did an across the board cut.

6. The legislature didn't become R controlled until January of this year. Prior to that we had a split legislature. The budget shortfalls we had for the year just ended was a budget approved by the D controlled Senate and the R controlled house and governor. The Medicaid privatization was approved by the split legislature. Reynolds was Lt. Gov. but not Governor for either.

The state does have a big mess. The farm economy is weak. Although agriculture is a small piece of the pie in Iowa's economy it does trickle through everything. Anybody with a brain could see it coming a couple years ago but the split legislature used rosy assumptions to plan the budget and they failed miserably. A big part of the budget problem is from a property tax reduction approved by the split legislature in 2013.

Both the Rs and Ds in Iowa suck. Rs and many Ds are owned by corporate agriculture that pollutes our state. The Ds in Iowa could win (see Tom Harkin or Tom Vilsack) but they are stupid and nominate morans that talk about things like abortion or denigrate Chuck Grassley ("you could have a farmer from Iowa chairing the Judiciary Committee") which turns people off. And then they wonder why they can't win elections.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

HI54UNI wrote:Ok. I'll bite.

1. Fuck you for only thinking of clenz. :evil: :lol:

2. Citing Iowa Starting Line and/or Rick Smith is like citing Democratic Underground or Daily Kos in an argument. :rofl:

3. The 2017 Legislative Session ended on April 21 and Kim Reynolds became governor on May 24. How many bills have her signature on them? Zero.

4. US News says Iowa is 8th in education overall, 6th for PK-12. That's last place?

5. Starve public schools? Schools have gotten more money every year. The last time they had an actual cut was when a Democrat was governor and he did an across the board cut.

6. The legislature didn't become R controlled until January of this year. Prior to that we had a split legislature. The budget shortfalls we had for the year just ended was a budget approved by the D controlled Senate and the R controlled house and governor. The Medicaid privatization was approved by the split legislature. Reynolds was Lt. Gov. but not Governor for either.

The state does have a big mess. The farm economy is weak. Although agriculture is a small piece of the pie in Iowa's economy it does trickle through everything. Anybody with a brain could see it coming a couple years ago but the split legislature used rosy assumptions to plan the budget and they failed miserably. A big part of the budget problem is from a property tax reduction approved by the split legislature in 2013.

Both the Rs and Ds in Iowa suck. Rs and many Ds are owned by corporate agriculture that pollutes our state. The Ds in Iowa could win (see Tom Harkin or Tom Vilsack) but they are stupid and nominate morans that talk about things like abortion or denigrate Chuck Grassley ("you could have a farmer from Iowa chairing the Judiciary Committee") which turns people off. And then they wonder why they can't win elections.
He’ Right You Know.meme.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk