Tax Bill is a loser

Political discussions
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Tax Bill is a loser

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote:
With Tax Reform, AT&T Plans to Increase U.S. Capital Spending $1 Billion and Provide $1,000 Special Bonus to more than 200,000 U.S. Employees

Once tax reform is signed into law, AT&T* plans to invest an additional $1 billion in the United States in 2018 and pay a special $1,000 bonus to more than 200,000 AT&T U.S. employees — all union-represented, non-management and front-line managers. If the President signs the bill before Christmas, employees will receive the bonus over the holidays.
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... S.-Capital
Isn’t it quaint to see a corporation drop a few crumbs for the peons?
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

93henfan wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:
With Tax Reform, AT&T Plans to Increase U.S. Capital Spending $1 Billion and Provide $1,000 Special Bonus to more than 200,000 U.S. Employees

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... S.-Capital
Was about to say...a one time expense for publicity when they'll be saving 100's of millions annually. :lol:

Nice gesture, but if trickle-down actually worked, those guys would get permanent raises.

As for the tax bill, I remember when the GOP was about lowering the deficit. I guess it wasn't enough that Gen X/Millenials fought their wars, took the brunt of the recession, are saddled with student debts, and can barely afford having a family or homes...we now have to figure out 1.5T of additional debt when all these fuckers are dead in 15 years. But hey we deserve it because something about "avocado toast."
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Was about to say...a one time expense for publicity when they'll be saving 100's of millions annually. :lol:

Nice gesture, but if trickle-down actually worked, those guys would get permanent raises.

As for the tax bill, I remember when the GOP was about lowering the deficit. I guess it wasn't enough that Gen X/Millenials fought their wars, took the brunt of the recession, are saddled with student debts, and can barely afford having a family or homes...we now have to figure out 1.5T of additional debt when all these fuckers are dead in 15 years. But hey we deserve it because something about "avocado toast."
Let's see. They're immediately giving back $200,000,000 to AMERICAN workers, planning to spend $1,000,000,000 on infrastructure in THE U.S. in 2018 and THEY'RE the bad guys? :roll: :roll:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Was about to say...a one time expense for publicity when they'll be saving 100's of millions annually. :lol:

As for the tax bill, I remember when the GOP was about lowering the deficit. I guess it wasn't enough that Gen X/Millenials fought their wars, took the brunt of the recession, are saddled with student debts, and can barely afford having a family or homes...we now have to figure out 1.5T of additional debt when all these **** are dead in 15 years. But hey we deserve it because something about "avocado toast."
Let's see. They're immediately giving back $200,000,000 to AMERICAN workers, planning to spend $1,000,000,000 on infrastructure in THE U.S. in 2018 and THEY'RE the bad guys? :roll: :roll:
You beat me to it, but this... :clap:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Hey Jon, have I congratulated you on your wedding lately?
Married couples get less of a benefit with the new SALT deduction since the limit is the same for both single and married filers.

"This is pretty clearly a marriage penalty," said Faulhaber from Georgetown. "If you have two unmarried taxpayers both paying $10,000 in SALT, they will get an aggregate $20,000 when they file, whereas if they get married they suddenly lose $10,000 in deductions."
You asked for it. :chair:
:kisswink:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

AZGrizFan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Was about to say...a one time expense for publicity when they'll be saving 100's of millions annually. :lol:

AT&T was already budgeted to spend 1 Billion on infrastructure...

:coffee:

But now they're going to play this game as a thank you for the Repeal of Net Neutrality
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Chizzang wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

But now they're going to play this game as a thank you for the Repeal of Net Neutrality
No. They are posturing for the Time Warner deal.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

No. They are posturing for the Time Warner deal.

This will play on Fox News for months

:rofl:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Wells Fargo will now set a $15 minimum wage.

Those 3 employees that will benefit from this will be happy. :lol:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

AZGrizFan wrote:

As for the tax bill, I remember when the GOP was about lowering the deficit. I guess it wasn't enough that Gen X/Millenials fought their wars, took the brunt of the recession, are saddled with student debts, and can barely afford having a family or homes...we now have to figure out 1.5T of additional debt when all these **** are dead in 15 years. But hey we deserve it because something about "avocado toast."
Absolutely. AT&T will save 3 Billion dollars...A YEAR...from this tax bill.

And what do they give back to the employees? A one-time payout of 6% of what they're going to save...in ONE year. :roll:

Is $1000 nice? Of course. But let's not pretend this is a good deed with no other intentions.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Oh oops...this was already agreed upon last week...thanks to labor unions.
Earlier this year, thousands of AT&T workers, members of the Communications Workers of America union, went on strike over issues like job security and outsourcing. Many AT&T workers already expected to receive 10 percent raises and $1,000 lump-sum back wages as a result of an agreement announced last week.
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/AT ... 12743.html

Gotta give AT&T credit though...great PR today. Playing people like a fiddle.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

CAA Flagship wrote:Wells Fargo will now set a $15 minimum wage.

Those 3 employees that will benefit from this will be happy. :lol:
Fifth Third Bank has hopped on the $15 minimum wage thing, and all employees to get a $1000 bonus.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Comcast
Brian Roberts, CEO of Comcast NBC Universal, said the company would award $1,000 special bonuses to more than 100,000 eligible frontline and non-executive employees following tax reform and the repeal of net neutrality.

Roberts also pledged to spend $50 billion over the next five years investing in infrastructure, saying that the investments would "add thousands of new direct and indirect jobs."

Boeing
"$100 million for corporate giving, with funds used to support demand for employee gift-match programs and for investments in Boeing's focus areas for charitable giving: in education, in our communities, and for veterans and military personnel.

"$100 million for workforce development in the form of training, education, and other capabilities development to meet the scale needed for rapidly evolving technologies and expanding markets.

"$100 million for "workplace of the future" facilities and infrastructure enhancements for Boeing employees.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:It passed the Senate and House this morning. Headed to Trumps desk. Happy Tax Cut Christmas!
So this brings his legislative victory count to...1?
He has a # of legislative victories, although this is his 1st major one.
As far as major 1st year accomplishments/victories besides tax cuts, Gorsuch was a huge..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Simplified' tax reform has plenty to offer 'regulatory parasites'
It will lead more businesses to make decisions based not on market demand, not on where the biggest economic opportunities lie and not on what kind of innovations, investments and expansions hold the most potential, but where the biggest loopholes are. So much for making the U.S. economy more competitive.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

∞∞∞ wrote:
93henfan wrote:

While you're correct about Republicans supposedly carrying about the deficit your faux outrage is laughable and it echoes the Democrat talking points today. Obama added $8 trillion in debt and at least $850 million was due to tax cuts during Obama's presidency. Did I miss your concern about it then? :roll:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

HI54UNI wrote:

While you're correct about Republicans supposedly carrying about the deficit your faux outrage is laughable and it echoes the Democrat talking points today. Obama added $8 trillion in debt and at least $850 million was due to tax cuts during Obama's presidency. Did I miss your concern about it then? :roll:
Very true. The parallels to ObamaCare run deep (both bills pushed through by a majority without taking the time to really study and understand the consequences) and I wonder how long those parallels will last.

The impact on the 2018 election will be interesting. I'm guessing that Conk strategists are counting on people being happy enough with the extra coins in their pocket to help them maintain the majority. The kicker will be what happens in early 2019 when the middle class gets kicked in their financial nuts while filing their 2018 tax returns. How bad will the nut kicking be? How angry will people get? How long will the anger last? Will it have a significant impact on the 2020 elections?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Let's see...so leftists are angry about deficit spending all of a sudden...then try to spin "this tax bill hurts the working class"...meanwhile some big corps up their min wage to $15/hour effectively taking away another leftist talking point...all without a gubmint mandate on min wage...yeah not looking too good for the leftists, the are likely shitting their pants over this bill.

Nice seeing a 3% tax cut for us educated/highly skilled dual income folks. If I try hard enough and shelter enough money in pre-tax loopholes (pension contributions, IRA, HSA, DCRA) I just might be able to sneak into the 12% tax bracket. It's still very early but my early wallet indicator is pointing to a vote for Trump in 2020...conks keep this shit up and they might get a down ballot conk vote from this Brown guy.

8-)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote:Let's see...so leftists are angry about deficit spending all of a sudden...then try to spin "this tax bill hurts the working class"...meanwhile some big corps up their min wage to $15/hour effectively taking away another leftist talking point...all without a gubmint mandate on min wage...yeah not looking too good for the leftists, the are likely shitting their pants over this bill.

Nice seeing a 3% tax cut for us educated/highly skilled dual income folks. If I try hard enough and shelter enough money in pre-tax loopholes (pension contributions, IRA, HSA, DCRA) I just might be able to sneak into the 12% tax bracket. It's still very early but my early wallet indicator is pointing to a vote for Trump in 2020...conks keep this shit up and they might get a down ballot conk vote from this Brown guy.

8-)
Two Santa Claus theory alive and well. Deficits will begin to matter again in 2021. :lol:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

It’s all about...WINNING BIGLY! :thumb:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

SDHornet wrote:Let's see...so leftists are angry about deficit spending all of a sudden...then try to spin "this tax bill hurts the working class"...meanwhile some big corps up their min wage to $15/hour effectively taking away another leftist talking point...all without a gubmint mandate on min wage...yeah not looking too good for the leftists, the are likely shitting their pants over this bill.

8-)
I read last night that if you currently itemize but won't next year with the new higher standard deduction that you should pre-pay your property taxes for next year yet this year. State and local income taxes are restricted for the year they are applicable but property taxes aren't. Might as well get one more deduction.

:nod:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

HI54UNI wrote:

Nice seeing a 3% tax cut for us educated/highly skilled dual income folks. If I try hard enough and shelter enough money in pre-tax loopholes (pension contributions, IRA, HSA, DCRA) I just might be able to sneak into the 12% tax bracket. It's still very early but my early wallet indicator is pointing to a vote for Trump in 2020...conks keep this **** up and they might get a down ballot conk vote from this Brown guy.

8-)
I read last night that if you currently itemize but won't next year with the new higher standard deduction that you should pre-pay your property taxes for next year yet this year. State and local income taxes are restricted for the year they are applicable but property taxes aren't. Might as well get one more deduction.

:nod:
That’s right, HI5! Game the system! I’m loading up on shelf LLCs now! :thumb:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

HI54UNI wrote:

Debts are manageable items over time, but deficits are a true economic indicator of how a government is governing. After the Bush administration started a war and rode us into the Great Recession, the deficit and debt ballooned. Under Obama's administration, the deficit was cut in half. But yes, the debt did continue rising, but at least it was money invested into the economic stimulus and social programs.

As soon as the GOP took over under Trump, the deficit rose. And after this tax bill, it rises some more. And what does the average American get for it? A little more money...but less social programs, less environmental protections, the gutting of the ACA, and the widening of the wealth gap.

I was too young to analyze the Reagan to Clinton years, but after living through the shit Bush II put us through, the economic growth under Obama as well as the social protections (which is the US' fundamental basis), and now the garbage Trump and co. are pulling, I'll need a very good reason to vote for a Republican in my lifetime.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

Remember the Democrats hated Reagan's tax cut too.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

HI54UNI wrote:Remember the Democrats hated Reagan's tax cut too.

How many of his 11 tax increases had he implemented by that time? :lol:

Still one of the more influential people on policy to do this day.... :ohno: