How Do We Explain This Dichotomy???

Political discussions
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Like him or not, no one can dispute the fact that President Trump is not getting high marks in polls (remember how accurate polls were on the day before the 2016 election)...

Real Clear Politics currently has his favorable rating at 39%, with his disapproval rating at 56.6%..

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -6179.html

Yet, the economy is humming along, setting records on the Dow, and the latest Consumer Confidence report is at its highest level in almost 17 years...
U.S. consumer confidence rose more than expected in October to the highest in almost 17 years as Americans grew more confident about the economy and job market, according to figures Tuesday from the New York-based Conference Board.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... since-2000

As a simple public university graduate, I read this that people don’t like Trump, but apparently are not afraid that he’ll do anything to ruin the economy...

I don’t remember this large a spread between these two measurements in my lifetime...and I’ve been around and watching this stuff for a while...usually, if people lack confidence in the top leadership, they lack confidence in the economy and are not willing to put their money at risk...

That seems to not be the case here...

Any thoughts???

8-)
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Re: How Do We Explain This Dichotomy???

Post by Col Hogan »

And to help those who don’t understand the question:

di·chot·o·my
dīˈkädəmē/Submit
noun
a division or contrast between two things that are or are represented as being opposed or entirely different.
"a rigid dichotomy between science and mysticism"
synonyms: contrast, difference, polarity, conflict; More
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Politicians are scarier without the façade of manners. That's basically what Trump is.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

Pwns wrote:Politicians are scarier without the façade of manners. That's basically what Trump is.
Very well put. :thumb:

I also think you have to disjoint the presidency from the business cycle. There would have to be some pretty major governmental shifts in economic policy to disrupt what is currently an up cycle (as it was for a majority of the Obama presidency). Trump is pretty much unlikable overall. If we launch a nuke or get super protectionist on China those types of things could impact our economy - the former is hopefully simply saber rattling, the latter is more likely IMO.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Col Hogan wrote:Like him or not, no one can dispute the fact that President Trump is not getting high marks in polls (remember how accurate polls were on the day before the 2016 election)...

Real Clear Politics currently has his favorable rating at 39%, with his disapproval rating at 56.6%..

Yet, the economy is humming along, setting records on the Dow, and the latest Consumer Confidence report is at its highest level in almost 17 years...
U.S. consumer confidence rose more than expected in October to the highest in almost 17 years as Americans grew more confident about the economy and job market, according to figures Tuesday from the New York-based Conference Board.

As a simple public university graduate, I read this that people don’t like Trump, but apparently are not afraid that he’ll do anything to ruin the economy...

I don’t remember this large a spread between these two measurements in my lifetime...and I’ve been around and watching this stuff for a while...usually, if people lack confidence in the top leadership, they lack confidence in the economy and are not willing to put their money at risk...

Any thoughts???

8-)
The problem is (and Clitz won’t like this) that Wall Street isn’t “the economy”

Joe Farmer in Kentucky isn’t affected one way or the other by the stock market. His electricity, grocery, and heroin bills are what matter to him

And if Trump can’t fix those, he’s toast

Because it’s the ECONOMY stupid
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

Everything in politics and the arts associated with it are dichotomies to some extent today.

Since his election, he's a dictator, the next Hitler, authoritarian, etc. Yet while politically I disagree with a lot of what he has done, constitutionally he has made the right choice putting DACHA and insurance company subsidies back in the hands of Congress (who of course won't do anything with it, but that is the way things are supposed to work (or not)). and I'm not sure Trump understands or cares about the constitutional side of this.

I have a real hard time with him being president. Generally turn him off when he makes a speech or has an interview. Have no clue why he can't see the easiest things to say like "Nazi's are bad" and then shut up. On the other hand most of what he has done I understand and it certainly isn't the end of the world. So in many ways I am a walking dichotomy when it comes to Trump.

He colluded with Russian. BAD BAD BAD. except now it appears the Hillary Campaign colluded with Russian . Oh but that's not collusion.

Honestly, I understand the low approval rating. I, also, understand that he ain't the typical I'm nice to your face politician but will bash you in the balls in a second through back channels.

So, generally, I just keep my eyes open and my mouth shut which accomplishes the same for me as if I did the opposite. ;)
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Col Hogan wrote:Like him or not, no one can dispute the fact that President Trump is not getting high marks in polls (remember how accurate polls were on the day before the 2016 election)...

Any thoughts???

8-)
As wealth becomes ever more concentrated at the top, the term "the economy" applies to fewer and fewer people which determines which side of "the spread" you feel..
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

The favorability ratings are overall national polls. The overall national polls on the day before the 2016 election were those assessing the popular vote. And the RealClearPolitics average of such polls had Clinton up by 3.3 percentage points and she won the popular vote by 2.1 percentage points. That's pretty darned close.

And of course there's that thing I've posted before where if you take the latest poll previous to the election in each State for which polls are available at RealClearPolitics the candidate that "won" among poll respondents actually won the State in 44 of 45 cases. Wisconsin was the only exception.

This thing where Trump people comfort themselves with the supposed "failure" of the polls with respect to the 2016 election is delusion. The reasonable interpretation of the polls on the day before the 2016 election was that Hillary Clinton would win the popular vote but the electoral college was too close to call.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Yet, the economy is humming along, setting records on the Dow,
Can we stop with the "setting records on the Dow" stuff? I mean, that is really ridiculous because the Dow has been in a generally upward trend for a really long time. Take a look at this graphic:

Saying the Dow is at a record high in a particular administration is kind of like saying the year number is the highest it's ever been during a particular administration. It's a pretty meaningless boast.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Col Hogan wrote: I don’t remember this large a spread between these two measurements in my lifetime...and I’ve been around and watching this stuff for a while...usually, if people lack confidence in the top leadership, they lack confidence in the economy and are not willing to put their money at risk...

Any thoughts???

8-)
I'll admit I'm perplexed. I'm glad the stock market is doing well because that's good for me. But I don't get why people have confidence in the risk/benefit picture when there is a guy with serious emotional stability and maturity issues in the White House. To me the risk is really high right now because we have a mentally ill person in that position and I am surprised that people who put their money at risk aren't freaking out.
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Basically, what every thread in the political section has become is an over/under on how long it is going to take JSO to pop in with his triggered screeds
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Better check in with Jim Cramer, CNBC, and Alan Greenspan. When it comes to the economy and growth they are fucking geniuses!