Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Germany renewable energy myth busted

Post by Pwns »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca ... 5d8b3368e1
Germany’s carbon emissions are not declining much, despite renewables increasing to almost 30% of the country’s power mix this year (see figure below), and over 50% of its installed capacity. Unfortunately, coal has also increased to about 30% and, along with power purchases from France and other countries in Europe, is used to load-follow, or buffer, the intermittency of the renewables.

Germany’s carbon emissions per person actually rose slightly in 2013 and 2015. The country produces much more electricity than it needs and is not addressing oil in the transportation sector.
The problem is that even when renewables produce enough energy to supply all of the country’s electricity, the variability of the renewables means Germany has to keep the coal plants running, over half of which use the dirtiest of all coal, lignite.

In fact, in 2016, 7 out of 10 of Europe’s biggest polluters were German lignite power plants.
Time for progressives to pull their head out of their asses when it comes to nuclear energy. :coffee:
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Germany renewable energy myth busted

Post by SDHornet »

:lol:
:clap:

Loving seeing another leftist dream go up in a plum of dirty coal smoke. 8-)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote::lol:

Mmmmmm...plums.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

But those aren't my Leftist Dreams :puppy: Nobody cares about my Leftist Dreams anymore

and smoking a plum would be tricky I bet
Those damned Hippies will try anything
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Chizzang wrote:

But those aren't my Leftist Dreams :puppy: Nobody cares about my Leftist Dreams anymore

I have some very good plume jam.... :kisswink:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Chizzang wrote:

If you can smoke from an apple, you can smoke from a plum. :thumb:
Aho Old Guy
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Tweetsee
A.K.A.: Evil & Nastie

Post by Aho Old Guy »

:nod:
More typical Rightie cranial rectal occlusion, denial and dumbassery. Please keep lying to yourselves with your fact-challenged false narratives, ignorance and analytical dysfunction. It's Comedy Gold, because deep-thinkers you ain't.

Per capita fossil-fuel CO2 emission rates in Germany have declined over 20% since 1990, and are half that of the United States. CO2 emissions by GDP in Germany are 40% less than those in Trump-Landia, and 'renewable' share of gross final energy consumption in Germany is 50% higher. See a trend, there, Righties?

Germany is vying with Japan and China to establish itself as the preeminent global leader in green energy jobs, technology, development and utilization. Trumpies want to declare War on CAFE standards and bring back King Coal. Quite a distinction, I'd say.

And, by-the-way, Germany is enduring the short-term increases in CO2 for 2 reasons: Their lying-ass colluding automakers have been cheating emission standards (perhaps you 'fake news' invertebrates remember those on-going scandals?) and March 11, 2011. You remember March 11, 2011? German nuclear energy electricity production has declined over 30% since that day of infamy.

Trumpies are re-licensing 50-year old nuke plants and building new-and-improved bombs, STILL without any clue as to remediation of toxic sites or permanent disposal of wastes. How'd that plutonium to MOX-fuel work out for you? HA! Let's build 'magnificent walls' around Georgia and South Carolina, and bury the mega-tons of glowing goo, there.

No great loss to America ...
"But the damned and the guiltiest among you are the men who had the capacity to know, yet chose to blank out reality, the men who were willing to sell their intelligence into cynical servitude..."
- John Galt
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Aho Old Guy wrote::nod:
More typical Rightie cranial rectal occlusion, denial and dumbassery. Please keep lying to yourselves with your fact-challenged false narratives, ignorance and analytical dysfunction. It's Comedy Gold, because deep-thinkers you ain't.

Per capita fossil-fuel CO2 emission rates in Germany have declined over 20% since 1990, and are half that of the United States. CO2 emissions by GDP in Germany are 40% less than those in Trump-Landia, and 'renewable' share of gross final energy consumption in Germany is 50% higher. See a trend, there, Righties?

Germany is vying with Japan and China to establish itself as the preeminent global leader in green energy jobs, technology, development and utilization. Trumpies want to declare War on CAFE standards and bring back King Coal. Quite a distinction, I'd say.

And, by-the-way, Germany is enduring the short-term increases in CO2 for 2 reasons: Their lying-ass colluding automakers have been cheating emission standards (perhaps you 'fake news' invertebrates remember those on-going scandals?) and March 11, 2011. You remember March 11, 2011? German nuclear energy electricity production has declined over 30% since that day of infamy.

Trumpies are re-licensing 50-year old nuke plants and building new-and-improved bombs, STILL without any clue as to remediation of toxic sites or permanent disposal of wastes. How'd that plutonium to MOX-fuel work out for you? HA! Let's build 'magnificent walls' around Georgia and South Carolina, and bury the mega-tons of glowing goo, there.

Surprised ObamaBush didn't lower the CO2 emissions before Trump was elected?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

If you can smoke from an apple, you can smoke from a plum. :thumb:
But plums have smaller bowls.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

WGAF if Germany has lowered their carbon emissions 20%? All they are doing is increasing their energy costs dramatically. 2011:

2013:
“.....The government predicts that the renewable energy surcharge added to every consumer's electricity bill will increase from 5.3 cents today to between 6.2 and 6.5 cents per kilowatt hour -- a 20-percent price hike.

German consumers already pay the highest electricity prices in Europe. But because the government is failing to get the costs of its new energy policy under control, rising prices are already on the horizon. Electricity is becoming a luxury good in Germany, and one of the country's most important future-oriented projects is acutely at risk.

After the Fukushima nuclear accident in Japan two and a half years ago, Merkel quickly decided to begin phasing out nuclear power and lead the country into the age of wind and solar. But now many Germans are realizing the coalition government of Merkel's CDU and the pro-business Free Democrats (FDP) is unable to cope with this shift. Of course, this doesn't mean that the public has any more confidence in a potential alliance of the center-left Social Democrats (SPD) and the Greens. The political world is wedged between the green-energy lobby, masquerading as saviors of the world, and the established electric utilities, with their dire warnings of chaotic supply problems and job losses.

Even well-informed citizens can no longer keep track of all the additional costs being imposed on them. According to government sources, the surcharge to finance the power grids will increase by 0.2 to 0.4 cents per kilowatt hour next year. On top of that, consumers pay a host of taxes, surcharges and fees that would make any consumer's head spin.

Former Environment Minister Jürgen Tritten of the Green Party once claimed that switching Germany to renewable energy wasn't going to cost citizens more than one scoop of ice cream. Today his successor Altmaier admits consumers are paying enough to "eat everything on the ice cream menu."

Paying Big for Nothing

For society as a whole, the costs have reached levels comparable only to the euro-zone bailouts. This year, German consumers will be forced to pay €20 billion ($26 billion) for electricity from solar, wind and biogas plants -- electricity with a market price of just over €3 billion. Even the figure of €20 billion is disputable if you include all the unintended costs and collateral damage associated with the project. Solar panels and wind turbines at times generate huge amounts of electricity, and sometimes none at all. Depending on the weather and the time of day, the country can face absurd states of energy surplus or deficit.

If there is too much power coming from the grid, wind turbines have to be shut down. Nevertheless, consumers are still paying for the "phantom electricity" the turbines are theoretically generating. Occasionally, Germany has to pay fees to dump already subsidized green energy, creating what experts refer to as "negative electricity prices."

On the other hand, when the wind suddenly stops blowing, and in particular during the cold season, supply becomes scarce. That's when heavy oil and coal power plants have to be fired up to close the gap, which is why Germany's energy producers in 2012 actually released more climate-damaging carbon dioxide into the atmosphere than in 2011.

If there is still an electricity shortfall, energy-hungry plants like the ArcelorMittal steel mill in Hamburg are sometimes asked to shut down production to protect the grid. Of course, ordinary electricity customers are then expected to pay for the compensation these businesses are entitled to for lost profits.

The government has high hopes for the expansion of offshore wind farms. But the construction sites are in a state of chaos: Wind turbines off the North Sea island of Borkum are currently rotating without being connected to the grid. The connection cable will probably not be finished until next year. In the meantime, the turbines are being run with diesel fuel to prevent them from rusting.....”
http://spiegel.de/international/germany ... 20288.html

Meanwhile German companies continue to flock to the US to take advantage of much lower energy costs.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eu ... f3f84e0bbb
Yet Aho Dumbass want to emulate the krauts with their disasterous energy policy.. :dunce: :dunce:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote:

WGAF if Germany has lowered their carbon emissions 20%? All they are doing is increasing their energy costs dramatically. 2011:

2013:
“.....The government predicts that the renewable energy surcharge added to every consumer's electricity bill will increase from 5.3 cents today to between 6.2 and 6.5 cents per kilowatt hour -- a 20-percent price hike.

German consumers already pay the highest electricity prices in Europe. But because the government is failing to get the costs of its new energy policy under control, rising prices are already on the horizon. Electricity is becoming a luxury good in Germany, and one of the country's most important future-oriented projects is acutely at risk.

After the Fukushima nuclear accident in Japan two and a half years ago, Merkel quickly decided to begin phasing out nuclear power and lead the country into the age of wind and solar. But now many Germans are realizing the coalition government of Merkel's CDU and the pro-business Free Democrats (FDP) is unable to cope with this shift. Of course, this doesn't mean that the public has any more confidence in a potential alliance of the center-left Social Democrats (SPD) and the Greens. The political world is wedged between the green-energy lobby, masquerading as saviors of the world, and the established electric utilities, with their dire warnings of chaotic supply problems and job losses.

Even well-informed citizens can no longer keep track of all the additional costs being imposed on them. According to government sources, the surcharge to finance the power grids will increase by 0.2 to 0.4 cents per kilowatt hour next year. On top of that, consumers pay a host of taxes, surcharges and fees that would make any consumer's head spin.

Former Environment Minister Jürgen Tritten of the Green Party once claimed that switching Germany to renewable energy wasn't going to cost citizens more than one scoop of ice cream. Today his successor Altmaier admits consumers are paying enough to "eat everything on the ice cream menu."

Paying Big for Nothing

For society as a whole, the costs have reached levels comparable only to the euro-zone bailouts. This year, German consumers will be forced to pay €20 billion ($26 billion) for electricity from solar, wind and biogas plants -- electricity with a market price of just over €3 billion. Even the figure of €20 billion is disputable if you include all the unintended costs and collateral damage associated with the project. Solar panels and wind turbines at times generate huge amounts of electricity, and sometimes none at all. Depending on the weather and the time of day, the country can face absurd states of energy surplus or deficit.

If there is too much power coming from the grid, wind turbines have to be shut down. Nevertheless, consumers are still paying for the "phantom electricity" the turbines are theoretically generating. Occasionally, Germany has to pay fees to dump already subsidized green energy, creating what experts refer to as "negative electricity prices."

On the other hand, when the wind suddenly stops blowing, and in particular during the cold season, supply becomes scarce. That's when heavy oil and coal power plants have to be fired up to close the gap, which is why Germany's energy producers in 2012 actually released more climate-damaging carbon dioxide into the atmosphere than in 2011.

If there is still an electricity shortfall, energy-hungry plants like the ArcelorMittal steel mill in Hamburg are sometimes asked to shut down production to protect the grid. Of course, ordinary electricity customers are then expected to pay for the compensation these businesses are entitled to for lost profits.

The government has high hopes for the expansion of offshore wind farms. But the construction sites are in a state of chaos: Wind turbines off the North Sea island of Borkum are currently rotating without being connected to the grid. The connection cable will probably not be finished until next year. In the meantime, the turbines are being run with diesel fuel to prevent them from rusting.....”

Meanwhile German companies continue to flock to the US to take advantage of much lower energy costs.
Yet Aho Dumbass want to emulate the krauts with their disasterous energy policy.. :dunce: :dunce:
Are environmental and health costs used in the calculations?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:

2013:

Paying Big for Nothing

Make sure you include the costs to patrol the oceans and have standing armies too, kalm. You don't want to forget those. If we do away with oil we can drop those things of course. :rofl:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
Make sure you include the costs to patrol the oceans and have standing armies too, kalm. You don't want to forget those. If we do away with oil we can drop those things of course. :rofl:
Germany doesn't need those. They've had us.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Germany doesn't need those. They've had us.
They don't pay a dime into NATO? Don't let Trump hear that or that would be the next Twitter storm.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Renewable energy growth is sublinear and slow. You can put nuclear plants anywhere there's a significant source of water, but only so many places for turbines and solar panels and the weather isn't always ideal for that, and when you've used up the best places each additional solar array or wind farm is going to give you less energy.

And of course, you had to "butt Fukushima". :lol: Do you realize that there is not one single death that can be attributed to that accident? Not that that's all that relevant to America because it was caused by a freaking tsunami. :dunce:

And even if you do count those deaths, nuclear power has been estimated to have saved 1.8 million lives.

Stop eating up the lies of Greenpeace and natural news and feel-good lefty environmentalism.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Holy cow

Before I only *thought* Old Slo Guy was a washed up 80s anti nuker

Now it's confirmed

Nuclear power is the future, Slo. WE may not figure it out, but whatever species that inherits the earth from us one day will

BTW- big huge nuke plants like Fukushima or 3-Mile Island ARE a problem- they are vulnerable as a function of their size. But their size is due to materials security concerns

Admiral Rickover's Navy is the key to our future- small reactors, fueling a town or a suburb... if we can get around flat earth dinosaurs like you the future will most definitely be bright (and green)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris