Political discussions
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: 23K

Post by Ibanez »

25k..not bad. :clap:

To be honest, I don't recall any of you getting so excited when we saw the market increase so dramatically during Obama's tenure. An ~ 150% increase in the DJIA and ~160% increase in the S&P500. :coffee:

Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ibanez wrote:25k..not bad. :clap:

To be honest, I don't recall any of you getting so excited when we saw the market increase so dramatically during Obama's tenure. An ~ 150% increase in the DJIA and ~160% increase in the S&P500. :coffee:
That's because the recovery was tooooooo slooooooow. What happened in 8 years should have happened in 3 years. :nod: :nod:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

That rally was on the backs of American (and world) taxpayers in response to the Great Recession. That's the biggest difference. A free $2-3 trillion thrown at a problem is a pretty big help.

Economic Stimulus Act 2008 - $152 billion
EU Stimulus 2008 - $200 billion plus 1.2% GDP per member state (avg)
American Reinvestment and Recovery Act 2009 - $831 billion
China 2010 stimulus - $586 billion
Japan stimulus acts - over $250 billion
Australia 2008/2009 stimulus - $52 billion

Is there some continued carryover a decade later? I'm sure. However, there's no denying that the market has reacted very favorably to a pro-business presidency under Trump.

JSO will tell you that the current rally is nothing different than what's been going on. That's horseshit. If you take the graph you posted and draw a line across all the peaks, you'll see a fairly decent rally that petered out in Obama's second term, and then an outlier peak at the very end that starts on election night 2016. That last peak is the Trump effect, and it bucks the trend that preceded it. And the graph doesn't even show the 25% additional rise after Trump was sworn in. Them's the facts.
Last edited by 93henfan on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote:

That's because the recovery was tooooooo slooooooow. What happened in 8 years should have happened in 3 years. :nod: :nod:
Who says a market recovery should occur within 3 years? Adam Smith? :coffee:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Ibanez wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: That's because the recovery was tooooooo slooooooow. What happened in 8 years should have happened in 3 years. :nod: :nod:
Who says a market recovery should occur within 3 years? Adam Smith? :coffee:
No, Jim Cramer.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote:

That rally was on the backs of American (and world) taxpayers in response to the Great Recession. That's the biggest difference. A free $2-3 trillion thrown at a problem is a pretty big help.

Is there some continued carryover a decade later? I'm sure. However, there's no denying that the market has reacted very favorably to a pro-business presidency under Trump.

JSO will tell you that the current rally is nothing different than what's been going on. That's horseshit. If you take the graph you posted and draw a line across all the peaks, you'll see a fairly decent rally that petered out in Obama's second term, and then an outlier peak at the very end that starts on election night 2016. That last peak is the Trump effect, and it bucks the trend that preceded it. Them's the facts.
The Stimulus packages of the Bush/Obama administrations played a key role in stabilizing banks and markets, there's no denying that. However, you can't ignore the fact that the market DID rally under Obama (with the help of Bush era policies) and that this is a continuation of that. We're a year in with Trump so it's way too early to tell. This is all good feelings and consumer confidence (which is important.)

I don't think we have enough information to say that Trump's 1 year in office is bucking an 8 year trend. Obama's first 3 or 4 months saw a 20% decline and then the eventual rally.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. It can't continue to increase like this without any correction. I imagine when/if it crashes under Trumps watch, he'll blame it on other people. That seems to be his MO.

Companies had strong earnings under Obama and Trump hasn't really done anything tangible to change that - yet. The tax bill will surely play a role once it's implemented. Right now, investors are betting big and ignoring the circus and the noise coming out of the White House. They are very optimistic.

Edit: I see your edit. Why would a graph showing the performance under Obama's administration show Trumps?
Last edited by Ibanez on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Who says a market recovery should occur within 3 years? Adam Smith? :coffee:
No, Jim Cramer.
He does have that mad money... :coffee:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Ibanez wrote:
93henfan wrote:

JSO will tell you that the current rally is nothing different than what's been going on. That's horseshit. If you take the graph you posted and draw a line across all the peaks, you'll see a fairly decent rally that petered out in Obama's second term, and then an outlier peak at the very end that starts on election night 2016. That last peak is the Trump effect, and it bucks the trend that preceded it. Them's the facts.
The Stimulus packages of the Bush/Obama administrations played a key role in stabilizing banks and markets, there's no denying that. However, you can't ignore the fact that the market DID rally under Obama (with the help of Bush era policies) and that this is a continuation of that. We're a year in with Trump so it's way too early to tell. This is all good feelings and consumer confidence (which is important.)

I don't think we have enough information to say that Trump's 1 year in office is bucking an 8 year trend. Obama's first 3 or 4 months saw a 20% decline and then the eventual rally.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. It can't continue to increase like this without any correction. I imagine when/if it crashes under Trumps watch, he'll blame it on other people. That seems to be his MO.

Companies had strong earnings under Obama and Trump hasn't really done anything tangible to change that - yet. The tax bill will surely play a role once it's implemented. Right now, investors are betting big and ignoring the circus and the noise coming out of the White House. They are very optimistic.

Edit: I see your edit. Why would a graph showing the performance under Obama's administration show Trumps?
Buy on the dips, man.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote:
Ibanez wrote:

Buy on the dips, man.
Hell yeah. :thumb: We're in a long rally. I'm so very glad I bought a good bit of Ford around $2.50/share , Citibank for around $11/share and a few others when they were worth pocket change.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ibanez wrote:Why would a graph showing the performance under Obama's administration show Trumps?
Because the market moves on pro-business policy and the anticipation thereof. It started moving after election night 2016. I've only posted this about 85 times on this board. You and JSO continue to ignore it.

The Trump rally is not a continuation of Obama's first (and half of second) term rally. Obama's rally clearly petered out in late 2014/early 2015, if you can read a graph. The market was stale for the last two years of Obama, until election night when the market did a little dance in anticipation of Trump. Then a new rally started the day after the 2016 election. And the graph doesn't even show the additional 25% added since Trump's inauguration.

It's YUGE.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote:
Ibanez wrote:Why would a graph showing the performance under Obama's administration show Trumps?
Because the market moves on pro-business policy and the anticipation thereof. It started moving after election night 2016. I've only posted this about 85 times on this board. You and JSO continue to ignore it.

The Trump rally is not a continuation of Obama's first (and half of second) term rally. Obama's rally clearly petered out in late 2014/early 2015, if you can read a graph. The market was stale for the last two years of Obama, until election night when the market did a little dance in anticipation of Trump. Then a new rally started the day after the 2016 election. And the graph doesn't even show the additional 25% added since Trump's inauguration.

It's YUGE.
Stale? Certainly slower but stale? :coffee:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ibanez wrote:
93henfan wrote:

It's YUGE.
Stale? Certainly slower but stale? :coffee:
Stale.
And moldy.
Stale and moldy.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ibanez wrote:Stale? Certainly slower but stale? :coffee:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:

Dec 26, 2014 - 18,053.71
Nov 4, 2016 - 17,888.28

Yep. Stale. :nod:

Conversely, in the 14 months since Hillary conceded, the market is up 6,589.94 (35.94%). :notworthy:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote:
Ibanez wrote:Stale? Certainly slower but stale? :coffee:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:

Dec 26, 2014 - 18,053.71
Nov 4, 2016 - 17,888.28

Yep. Stale. :nod:

Conversely, in the 14 months since Hillary conceded, the market is up 6,589.94 (35.94%). :notworthy:
Stale is flat. That's actually a decline. But I see your point. :coffee: 8-)

I join you in your celebration of the 14 months since Hillary conceded. :clap:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

The Obama Stock Market was fueled by the Federal Reserve throwing every tool in their toolbox at the situation (as they should have, under the circumstances). The Trump Stock Market is seeing rising interest rates and no quantitative easing.
Wall Street is making gains because it sees Main Street finally freed from regulatory burdens. Dilly Dilly.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

CAA Flagship wrote:The Obama Stock Market was fueled by the Federal Reserve throwing every tool in their toolbox at the situation (as they should have, under the circumstances). The Trump Stock Market is seeing rising interest rates and no quantitative easing.
Wall Street is making gains because it sees Main Street finally freed from regulatory burdens. Dilly Dilly.
I keep seeing this. Shouldn’t it be Dilly Dally?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

BDKJMU wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:The Obama Stock Market was fueled by the Federal Reserve throwing every tool in their toolbox at the situation (as they should have, under the circumstances). The Trump Stock Market is seeing rising interest rates and no quantitative easing.
I keep seeing this. Shouldn’t it be Dilly Dally?
You're aware of the Bud Light commercial, no?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

93henfan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: I keep seeing this. Shouldn’t it be Dilly Dally?
You're aware of the Bud Light commercial, no?

No. Who the hell watches commercials nowadays? Esp Buttweiser..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote:25,000
A week later...

A week where China said it may stop purchasing US Treasuries. That kind of news would have rattled the market years ago. The market swatted it like a gnat yesterday.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

93henfan wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:25,000
A week later...

A week where China said it may stop purchasing US Treasuries. That kind of news would have rattled the market years ago. The market swatted it like a gnat yesterday.
What could happen...?
This is a cake walk

:shock:

You're like Gannonfan talking about the Eagles 2 months ago...
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Chizzang wrote:
93henfan wrote:
A week later...

What could happen...?
This is a cake walk

:shock:

You're like Gannonfan talking about the Eagles 2 months ago...
Every market corrects. It’s a matter of when. Might be this year. Might not.

Only guarantee is that JSO will suddenly change his tune and give Trump all the credit for the market when it does correct. :lol:

As far as GF, he was right. Until Wentz blew out his ACL. That is not nearly as reliable an occurrence as a market correction.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote:26,000
Thanks Obama!!!
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Been quiet in here. How's it going, guys?
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)