Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Re: Things that be all racist n' sheit

Post by Pwns »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
I'm not terribly familiar with her - I generally don't read people who don't challenge me
Just to give you a taste
She's a lawyer with a J.D. and loves to refer to herself as a doctor (insert eye roll here)
and believes the New Testament is a suitable replacement for science books in school whilst being considered one of the most powerful women in the conservative movement...

:geek:
I think you're mixing her up with Laura Schlessinger.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Pwns wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Just to give you a taste
She's a lawyer with a J.D. and loves to refer to herself as a doctor (insert eye roll here)
and believes the New Testament is a suitable replacement for science books in school whilst being considered one of the most powerful women in the conservative movement...

Ingraham has a law degree and clerked for a SCOTUS Justice. She has book smarts, but she’s said some remarkably stupid things, largely in defense of Trump. Not Ann Coulter stupid, but stupid enough.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Pwns wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Just to give you a taste

Hmmm...
That is entirely possible if she's another blonde Fox News robot
and holds herself as an expert on all things and fancies herself "a doctor"

:lol:

How could there be two of them though..?
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ivytalk wrote:
Pwns wrote:
Ingraham has a law degree and clerked for a SCOTUS Justice. She has book smarts, but she’s said some remarkably stupid things, largely in defense of Trump. Not Ann Coulter stupid, but stupid enough.
That’s a whole ‘nuther level of stupid. :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/04/1 ... mment.html

OKC Thunder announcer fired for using "cotton-picking". :dunce:
Celebrate Diversity.*
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Pwns wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/04/1 ... mment.html

Article says “under fire”, but still another cotton-picking ridiculous overreaction.

I love these incidents, so I can get ideas on how to anger people in DC.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

93henfan wrote:

Article says “under fire”, but still another cotton-picking ridiculous overreaction.

Yeah it’s like a chink in their armor.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

phpBB [video]
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CID1990 wrote:
93henfan wrote:

Yeah it’s like a chink in their armor.
Most of the help, as you know, in DC are people of color. When I am with the whiteys from my office, I will say “axe” to the people of color. “Let me axe you this, ‘can you add a shot of vanilla to my Earl Grey?’” It makes everyone uncomfortable, and there’s not a damn thing anyone can do about it. :lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: Things that be all racist n' sheit

Post by UNI88 »

Ivytalk wrote:
Pwns wrote:
I agree, but it's stupid to call it racist.

That comment was an allusion to a book Ingram wrote called "Shut Up and Sing" about political activism of white celebrities.
Maybe it wasn’t racist, but she carelessly used racist stereotypes.
Is the concept of white privilege a form of racial stereotyping?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: Things that be all racist n' sheit

Post by 93henfan »

UNI88 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Maybe it wasn’t racist, but she carelessly used racist stereotypes.
Is the concept of white privilege a form of racial stereotyping?
Not according to the self-hating white women who argue with me about it on FaceBook.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Things that be all racist n' sheit

Post by UNI88 »

93henfan wrote:
UNI88 wrote:Is the concept of white privilege a form of racial stereotyping?
Not according to the self-hating white women who argue with me about it on FaceBook.
Does the privilege derive from being white or from the socio-economic status of the parents? What's better - to be a person of color with middle-class parents or a white kid growing up in a single-wide next to a meth lab?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Things that be all racist n' sheit

Post by 93henfan »

UNI88 wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Does the privilege derive from being white or from the socio-economic status of the parents? What's better - to be a person of color with middle-class parents or a white kid growing up in a single-wide next to a meth lab?
Strictly the skin color, according to them.

I try to mention that I was raised lower middle class, barely above the poverty line, attending the same classes at public school with black kids, some of whom were better off and wore nicer clothes, etc etc.

Doesn’t matter. I apparently had a leg up on them. I wasn’t even aware I had this special aura about me. It didn’t seem like it when the ones with worse grades than me were getting free rides to Duke and Penn or when lesser qualified military officers were being selected for promotions in the military based on affirmative action promotion plans.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I think white privilege is tough to see if you're white, and it took me a while to see it, but it's there.

It made sense to me when a black co-worker said that "white" culture is seen as the standard culture, instead of all cultures being seen as standard. For example, African-American English (Ebonics) is recognized as an official dialect of American English, but people look down at someone speaking it.

Or the fact that even today, employers consistently hire whites over blacks despite the same qualifications, even if they've never met the candidates and only see a "black" vs. "white" name (ie. Dominique vs. Dylan).

Or the fact that black communities and individuals (as well as Latinos) have tougher times getting loans.

However, I really started noticing it on elevators when my co-worker told me to look out for it. When he was on an elevator with me or anyone else, as someone new walked in, they'd nearly always stand next to the white person. Obviously that's not a social advantage, but it shows how there can be an unconscious bias.

:twocents:
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Sleep. :?

Black Americans don’t sleep as well as white Americans. That’s a problem.
In America, you can find inequality between white and black people just about everywhere you look. Stark disparities exist in education, in health, in income. And they creep into underappreciated parts of daily life too, like sleep.

Research shows black Americans on average simply don’t sleep as well white Americans do. They don’t sleep as long, they don’t sleep through the night as often, and they suffer more heavily from sleep apnea, a potentially life-threatening disorder. Other minority groups, such as Latinos and Asian Americans, also sleep more poorly than white Americans. But the differences are starkest in black communities.

The sleep gap is essential to understand. It’s a disparity that is both caused by social inequalities and likely to perpetuate them. And that means it could be a ripe target for an intervention that could radically improve millions of American lives. Here are the most important things to know about the black-white sleep gap in America.
:rofl:

I blame Serta...or Sleep Number.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I call bullshit on that. I ride a bus four days a week and we have some black people on it. They fall asleep at the drop of a hat and don’t snore. Conversely, me and the other white guys are sawing logs like a Husqvarna and waking up and cussing after every bump.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:I think white privilege is tough to see if you're white, and it took me a while to see it, but it's there.

It made sense to me when a black co-worker said that "white" culture is seen as the standard culture, instead of all cultures being seen as standard. For example, African-American English (Ebonics) is recognized as an official dialect of American English, but people look down at someone speaking it.

Or the fact that even today, employers consistently hire whites over blacks despite the same qualifications, even if they've never met the candidates and only see a "black" vs. "white" name (ie. Dominique vs. Dylan).

Or the fact that black communities and individuals (as well as Latinos) have tougher times getting loans.

However, I really started noticing it on elevators when my co-worker told me to look out for it. When he was on an elevator with me or anyone else, as someone new walked in, they'd nearly always stand next to the white person. Obviously that's not a social advantage, but it shows how there can be an unconscious bias.

Yeah, most of your generation has hopelessly bought into that nonsense.

Wealth privilege is real, and there are more wealthy white people at the moment. That much I’ll concede.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

∞∞∞ wrote:I think white privilege is tough to see if you're white, and it took me a while to see it, but it's there.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

:dunce: :tothehand: :dunce:

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote:Or the fact that even today, employers consistently hire whites over blacks despite the same qualifications, even if they've never met the candidates and only see a "black" vs. "white" name (ie. Dominique vs. Dylan).
Is that because Dominique is a woman?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:Or the fact that even today, employers consistently hire whites over blacks despite the same qualifications, even if they've never met the candidates and only see a "black" vs. "white" name (ie. Dominique vs. Dylan).
Is that because Dominique is a woman?
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

Zero sympathy on the Ebonics thing. There is a difference in a dialect that just involves different pronunciations of words and something that has its own rules of grammar.

And let's be real, here: If Ebonics were something specific to working class whites no "social justice" advocates would be advocating recognizing it as an equally-valid variant of English, and would use it as an example of how backwards they are.
Celebrate Diversity.*
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

93henfan wrote:

Wealth privilege is real, and there are more wealthy white people at the moment. That much I’ll concede.
I'm not expecting white people to get it (especially older ones) 'cause you'd have to trade skins; I'm just explaining what I've learned directly from black friends of all generations. It's extremely difficult to see as a white person, but to write off so many people's observations as nonsense is disingenuous.

Personally, I'm glad my generation has bought into that "nonsense." Unless we acknowledge faults, there's no way to continue paving a brighter and fairer path for people.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
93henfan wrote:

I'm not expecting to get it (especially older white people) 'cause you'd have to trade skins; I'm just explaining what I've learned directly from black friends of all generations. It's extremely difficult to see as a white person, but to write off so many people's observations as nonsense is disingenuous.
Yeah, there’s no motivation or reward for them at all to perpetuate that narrative or to ignore the experience of poor white people. Nope, none at all.

C’mon Trip. I want to believe you’re not completely naive, but you make it difficult.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

:dunce: :tothehand: :dunce:
They get this gobblegook drilled into their brains at public schools nowadays. It’s 100% accepted. :lol: