kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Scaramucci Gets It

Post by kalm »

:nod:

Remember, CU was not about corruption, it was about freedom. Wealthy donors in no way benefit or extract wealth from government.
According to the piece, one evening after the day’s activities at an annual hedge fund conference Scaramucci organizes in Las Vegas, he and 20 “financiers and politicians” enjoyed an eight course dinner of “blinis with caviar; a fennel, grapefruit, and pomegranate salad; cocoa-encrusted beef tenderloin; and blue-cheese panna cotta.”

The wealthiest guest was another hedge fund manager, billionaire Leon Cooperman. By that moment Cooperman had garnered attention for repeatedly comparing Obama’s 2008 election to the rise of Hitler. (Cooperman claimed he didn’t mean they were similar as people.)

Here’s what Scaramucci said about Citizens United, himself, and Cooperman:

Scaramucci, the organizer of the dinner, told me the next day that the guests had witnessed the “activation” of a “sleeper cell” of hedge-fund managers against Obama. “That’s what you see happening in the hedge-fund community, because they now have the power, because of Citizens United, to aggregate capital into political-action committees and to influence the debate,” he said. “The president has a philosophy of disdain toward wealth creation. That’s just obvious, O.K.? We talked about it all night.” He later said, “If there’s a pope of this movement, it’s Lee Cooperman.”

By contrast, here’s what the conservative Supreme Court majority proclaimed in the Citizens United decision:

[W]e now conclude that independent expenditures, including those made by corporations, do not give rise to corruption or the appearance of corruption. That speakers may have influence over or access to elected officials does not mean that those officials are corrupt. The appearance of influence or access, furthermore, will not cause the electorate to lose faith in our democracy.
Spoiler: show
Now get this: The politicians in attendance at the dinner were Al Gore and the then-mayor of Los Angeles, Democrat Antonio Villaraigosa. Villaraigosa was so eager to hear more about Cooperman’s fascinating ideas that, according to the New Yorker, he gave the hedge fund manager his direct phone number. Now out of office, Villaraigosa is running for governor of California in 2018.

https://theintercept.com/2017/07/21/ant ... -managers/
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Re: Scaramucci Gets It

Post by OL FU »

Since no one else is, I'll bite. I get the problem of huge contributions from individuals or organizations to politicians or political groups. The problem I have is that the Citizen's United ruling (that specific instance) was a no brainer. An organization whose main purpose was to express a political opinion should not be barred from raising money to express that opinion.

Now I will be the first to admit that I don't know all the details of the case, but it would seem to me that the problem was that the law that was struck down was written to broadly and included organizations that certainly should have the right to raise money to express a political opinion.

OK kalm, what am I missing?
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

I like this Scaramucci guy. The question now is, will he do the Fandango?

EDIT: Ignore this lame attempt at humor - I shoulda checked the Twitterverse first...
Proletarians of the world, unite!
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Trump the Democrat sure has gotten rid of all the GOP and has an almost all Democrat cabinet.

I wonder who called this month's ago?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

I've said all along that Trump is a big government statist -

the only thing that will prevent him from accomplishing an agenda that would be CHOCK FULL of Democrat boilerplate will be the Democrats themselves and a couple Republicans like Rand Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Really the biggest takeaway is that people actually eat a fennel, grapefruit, and pomegranate salad.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

As a conservative...Scaramucci looks kinda too slick to me....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

89Hen wrote:Really the biggest takeaway is that people actually eat a fennel, grapefruit, and pomegranate salad.
I was going to comment on the "blini with caviar" but, I didn't want to incur gannon's wrath.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Scaramucci, like his boss, is a total douche. Hedge fund genius? Seems more like a used-car salesman.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

OL FU wrote:Since no one else is, I'll bite. I get the problem of huge contributions from individuals or organizations to politicians or political groups. The problem I have is that the Citizen's United ruling (that specific instance) was a no brainer. An organization whose main purpose was to express a political opinion should not be barred from raising money to express that opinion.

Now I will be the first to admit that I don't know all the details of the case, but it would seem to me that the problem was that the law that was struck down was written to broadly and included organizations that certainly should have the right to raise money to express a political opinion.

I think you're making a really good free speech argument here.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Will they find a cure for boneitis?

:thumb:
OL FU
Level3
Level3

Post by OL FU »

kalm wrote:
OL FU wrote:Since no one else is, I'll bite. I get the problem of huge contributions from individuals or organizations to politicians or political groups. The problem I have is that the Citizen's United ruling (that specific instance) was a no brainer. An organization whose main purpose was to express a political opinion should not be barred from raising money to express that opinion.

The problem with old age. I missed the point. Thought you were going to raNt about citizens united again.
OL FU
Level3
Level3

Post by OL FU »

dbackjon wrote:Will they find a cure for boneitis?

He should audition for the next godfather movie
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

OL FU wrote:
kalm wrote:
The problem with old age. I missed the point. Thought you were going to raNt about citizens united again.
Oh I still might but believe it or not I'm genuinely curious what others have to say and open minded to other points of view.

I'm a liberal...
OL FU
Level3
Level3

Post by OL FU »

kalm wrote:
OL FU wrote:
Oh I still might but believe it or not I'm genuinely curious what others have to say and open minded to other points of view.

I'm a liberal...
Believe it or not in many ways me too
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

What kind of a person would want to serve as one of Trump's personal Baghdad Bobs? I'm really honestly curious as to what could motivate someone to take that position. By now Trump is probably having to scrape from the bottom of the barrel just to get someone to do it.

That is my biggest worry with Trump more than his ego . . . . I don't give a crap who his press secretary or comm director is, but we could get to a point where people start leaving major cabinet positions and no one worth a damn is willing to take their place.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Rob Iola wrote:I like this Scaramucci guy. The question now is, will he do the Fandango?

EDIT: Ignore this lame attempt at humor - I shoulda checked the Twitterverse first...
You were still one of the first 10,000,000
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Pwns wrote:What kind of a person would want to serve as one of Trump's personal Baghdad Bobs? I'm really honestly curious as to what could motivate someone to take that position. By now Trump is probably having to scrape from the bottom of the barrel just to get someone to do it.

That is my biggest worry with Trump more than his ego . . . . I don't give a crap who his press secretary or comm director is, but we could get to a point where people start leaving major cabinet positions and no one worth a damn is willing to take their place.
We're past that part already. Now they're talking Rexit, which means Exxon/Putin is done deal. I bet Vlad shorts trump on his commission for not removing the sanctions..... :nod:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Pwns wrote:What kind of a person would want to serve as one of Trump's personal Baghdad Bobs? I'm really honestly curious as to what could motivate someone to take that position. By now Trump is probably having to scrape from the bottom of the barrel just to get someone to do it.
From what I've read, Scaramucci seems to be the definition of an opportunist. I don't think he has particular loyalties to any one man, organization, party, or idea (except for money). So as long as he makes a buck in the process, I doubt he cares what anyone (including Trump) says of him.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

SuperHornet wrote:As a conservative...Scaramucci looks kinda too slick to me....
Slick, as in greasy?
Well, he is a wop.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

CAA Flagship wrote:
SuperHornet wrote:As a conservative...Scaramucci looks kinda too slick to me....
Slick, as in greasy?
Well, he is a wop.
that's what I like about white ethnic/national groups

I can still say Mick/Wop/Jock/Kraut/Limey/Frog

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

CID1990 wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Slick, as in greasy?
Well, he is a wop.

Yes. I am an equal opportunity "laugh at everybody" person.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Slick, as in greasy?
Well, he is a wop.

I work with a few people in London who think it's funny to call us in America, "colonists". :lol:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ibanez wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

I work with a few people in London who think it's funny to call us in America, "colonists". :lol:
Fuck them. At least we have fluoride.

GD Jack-o-lanterns. :ohno: :ohno:

:lol: