Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Trump Gave Merkel an Invoice for NATO

Post by BDKJMU »

Yep, I agree think the US (in Europe) should close up shop. The cost of running the bases overseas is GINOURMOUS. Of course our govt would find other means to squander the $$ on.

Germany & other NATO countries aren't going to adequately provide for their own defense as long as we provide it for them for free. Germany has other financial priorities- like trying to maintain a high standard of living while paying for higher energy costs with alternative energy & paying for Merkel's million muslims.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

BDKJMU wrote:Yep, I agree think the US (in Europe) should close up shop. The cost of running the bases overseas is GINOURMOUS. Of course our govt would find other means to squander the $$ on.

Germany & other NATO countries aren't going to adequately provide for their own defense as long as we provide it for them for free. Germany has other financial priorities- like trying to maintain a high standard of living while paying for higher energy costs with alternative energy & paying for Merkel's million muslims.

That has a ring to it... like a song

to the tune of "Funky Cold Medina"
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Here we go again. Trump is tightening the screws on our NATO partners.

This is high level entertainment. I give it 5 Popcorns. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CAA Flagship wrote:Here we go again. Trump is tightening the screws on our NATO partners.

This is high level entertainment. I give it 5 Popcorns. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

It just goes to show the difficulty of enforcing a “guideline” rather than a treaty provision. All you can do is “jawbone” and threaten to leave the organization.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

Ivytalk wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:Here we go again. Trump is tightening the screws on our NATO partners.

It just goes to show the difficulty of enforcing a “guideline” rather than a treaty provision. All you can do is “jawbone” and threaten to leave the organization.
Or cut a deal with Putin to add Russia...
Proletarians of the world, unite!
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote: Rand Paul on NATO membership for Montenegro. He gets ramble-y towards the end but nails this:

"For decades, NATO has been an organization where the U.S. disproportionately spends our blood and treasure. .
I don't know about treasure but when it comes to blood is it not true that the only time the NATO thing has ever been invoked was when the United States suffered the "9-11" attacks and its NATO allies came to the United States' aid? You know, sacrificed some blood for the United States. Have US troops ever died because some other NATO country was attacked?
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

BDKJMU wrote:Yep, I agree think the US (in Europe) should close up shop. The cost of running the bases overseas is GINOURMOUS. Of course our govt would find other means to squander the $$ on.
If NATO countries told us tomorrow to get our bases out of their countries we would freak out because we want those bases. I don't think we have those bases for altruistic reasons. We have those bases because we want to be able to project power. This thing where people think that we don't get anything we perceive as beneficial with all that is, to me, utter nonsense.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:
If NATO countries told us tomorrow to get our bases out of their countries we would freak out because we want those bases. I don't think we have those bases for altruistic reasons. We have those bases because we want to be able to project power. This thing where people think that we don't get anything we perceive as beneficial with all that is, to me, utter nonsense.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no positive emojis, and may God have mercy on your soul.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: RE: Re: Trump Gave Merkel an Invoice for NATO

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ivytalk wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no positive emojis, and may God have mercy on your soul.
It was something about bases.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

So Germany is going to build a new pipeline so 70% of their gas will come from Russia. This will make them Russia's bitch and gives Russia more money while we defend Germany from the perceived Russian threat.

Trump is right on this one. Time to end NATO and bring the troops home from Europe.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
We don't get anything beneficial from our membership in NATO.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

For the other 28 members of NATO, Article 5 stands for "America, come save us".
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

BDKJMU wrote:For the other 28 members of NATO, Article 5 stands for "America, come save us".
Except for the fact that Article 5 has only been invoked in defense of the US, of course
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/11/behind- ... led-t.html
Germany gets rid of their nuke plants, become's Russia's energy bitch. Bush and Obama were against Nordstream 2 also. Trump is right.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Vyborg is a beautiful city. :thumb:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:For the other 28 members of NATO, Article 5 stands for "America, come save us".
Except for the fact that Article 5 has only been invoked in defense of the US, of course
Completely symbolic -

or did they save us? I may have missed it
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BDKJMU wrote:Germany gets rid of their nuke plants, become's Russia's energy bitch. Bush and Obama were against Nordstream 2 also. Trump is right.
Except Germany gets most of its energy, something like 35%+, from its own renewable resources...and has at times completely run its grid on renewable energy. And Germany's GDP has correspondingly grown. I read natural gas is 15% or so, which really doesn't make it Russia's bitch for anything.

You'd think the US would want that, if not for environmental purposes, at least for the benefits to defense (what kind of military wouldn't want 100% free and nearly unlimited energy?).

edit:
https://www.cleanenergywire.org/factshe ... mix-charts
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:Germany gets rid of their nuke plants, become's Russia's energy bitch. Bush and Obama were against Nordstream 2 also. Trump is right.
Except Germany gets most of its energy, something like 35%+, from its own renewable resources...and has at times completely run its grid on renewable energy. And Germany's GDP has correspondingly grown. I read natural gas is 15% or so, which really doesn't make it Russia's bitch for anything.

You'd think the US would want that, if not for environmental purposes, at least for the benefits to defense (what kind of military wouldn't want 100% free and nearly unlimited energy?).

edit:
Wait, are you saying renewable energy is "100% free"? Details are surely needed in that.

As for Germany, you sound like Trump, but just in the different direction of exaggeration. Germany is pulling back from nuclear power, so they still burn a bunch of coal, and their use of natural gas is rising significantly, also due to a retreat from nuclear, hence why they need the controversial (and not just controversial here, it's been a controversy inside Germany for awhile now) Baltic pipeline. Germany gets about 30%-40% from renewable energy, and that could be in danger as the potential for the cutback of government subsidies for renewables is one of the things that has stymied Merkel's chances to pull together a coalition government, since her party's power is waning following the past election.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:What an idiot.

NATO countries are under commitment to spend 2% of GDP on defense by 2024.

No NATO country is currently obligated to spend that now. And, certainly not to the US.
But haven't they underspent in general compared to us?
Nobody forced us to spend what we spend did they? I thought it was voluntary? :?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:

That has a ring to it... like a song

to the tune of "Funky Cold Medina"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:notworthy: :notworthy:

just when I think there is no hope...what kind of whisky do you drink?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

HI54UNI wrote:So Germany is going to build a new pipeline so 70% of their gas will come from Russia. This will make them Russia's bitch and gives Russia more money while we defend Germany from the perceived Russian threat.

Trump is right on this one. Time to end NATO and bring the troops home from Europe.
I'm not opposed to that but there are lot of people over here making bank on military contracts. That's a lot of welfare to cut all at once.....
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Rob Iola wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:
Or cut a deal with Putin to add Russia...
As long as they buy US weapons. :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

What’s funny here is Houndy, me, BDK, and CID all agreeing we should cut back on overseas military spending. I’m guessing that’s a popular sentiment in general. So why doesn’t it happen?
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

houndawg wrote:
HI54UNI wrote:So Germany is going to build a new pipeline so 70% of their gas will come from Russia. This will make them Russia's bitch and gives Russia more money while we defend Germany from the perceived Russian threat.

I'm not opposed to that but there are lot of people over here making bank on military contracts. That's a lot of welfare to cut all at once.....
:lol:

Preach! :notworthy:
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

∞∞∞ wrote:

edit:
Only 15% of natural gas is used for power generation. They are using more gas in factories and to heat homes. What if Putin shuts the gas off in the middle of winter?

And the average German is getting screwed on their energy bill. Germany keeps industrial rates low while the cost of energy for German households household is among the highest in Europe and about 3x what it is in the US. How many people in the US want their electric bill to triple?

If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire