Political discussions
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Trump Gave Merkel an Invoice for NATO

Post by HI54UNI »

Donald Trump printed out made-up £300bn Nato invoice and handed it to Angela Merkel

President estimated Germany’s underspend on alliance over the past 12 years, then added interest

Angela Merkel will reportedly ignore Donald Trump’s attempts to extricate £300bn from Germany for what he deems to be owed contributions to Nato.

The US President is said to have had an “invoice” printed out outlining the sum estimated by his aides as covering Germany’s unpaid contributions for defence.

Said to be presented during private talks in Washington, the move has been met with criticism from German and Nato officials.

While the figure presented to the Germans was not revealed by either side, Nato countries pledged in 2014 to spend two per cent of their GDP on defence, something only a handful of nations – including the UK, Greece, Poland and Estonia – currently do.

But the bill has been backdated even further to 2002, the year Mrs Merkel’s predecessor, Gerhard Schröder, pledged to spend more on defence.

Mr Trump reportedly instructed aides to calculate how much German spending fell below two per cent over the past 12 years, then added interest.

Estimates suggest the total came to £300bn, with official figures citing the shortfall to be around £250bn plus £50bn in interest added on.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 50636.html

:lol: :notworthy:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Trump Gave Merkel an Invoice for NATO

Post by kalm »

Nice! :thumb:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

What an idiot.

NATO countries are under commitment to spend 2% of GDP on defense by 2024.

No NATO country is currently obligated to spend that now. And, certainly not to the US.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Skjellyfetti wrote:What an idiot.

NATO countries are under commitment to spend 2% of GDP on defense by 2024.

No NATO country is currently obligated to spend that now. And, certainly not to the US.
But haven't they underspent in general compared to us?
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Yeah, but that doesn't mean they owe us $300 billion.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

****in Canucks. :ohno:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Straw man

The "bill" was obviously a metaphor. Germany has not pulled their load in NATO, and they have in fact been spending below the 2% of GDP since Schroeder made the initial commitment back around 2002. The 2012-ish agreement was an "Our bad, we really promise to contribute now" deal.

Trump has correctly identified a major problem with NATO. Giving Merkel a "bill" was a way for putting Germany on notice but only a moron would think it was an actual payment we are expecting.

Merkel is trying to use the pacifist route as an excuse for Germany not pulling its weight. I see what Trump did as a way to let them know that we expect them to uphold their obligations. The next step will be to renegotiate the charter, and quite frankly I hope we do that. I'm in favor of a full withdrawal so I could personally care less about the optics of what Trump did.

NATO needs us. We don't need NATO. Period.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:Straw man

The "bill" was obviously a metaphor. Germany has not pulled their load in NATO, and they have in fact been spending below the 2% of GDP since Schroeder made the initial commitment back around 2002. The 2012-ish agreement was an "Our bad, we really promise to contribute now" deal.

Trump has correctly identified a major problem with NATO. Giving Merkel a "bill" was a way for putting Germany on notice but only a moron would think it was an actual payment we are expecting.

Merkel is trying to use the pacifist route as an excuse for Germany not pulling its weight. I see what Trump did as a way to let them know that we expect them to uphold their obligations. The next step will be to renegotiate the charter, and quite frankly I hope we do that. I'm in favor of a full withdrawal so I could personally care less about the optics of what Trump did.

That's where I was going. You don't start negotiating with the number you hope it will end up at.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

This is certainly one area where president Trump is spot on...
We have only ourselves to blame for what we spend on NATO
and shaming then is fine but we still need to slowly back away
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:This is certainly one area where president Trump is spot on...
If slowly isn't possible I can think of a couple other adverbs

Abruptly

Quickly
Jjoey52
Level2
Level2

Post by Jjoey52 »

This, and while he is at it, send the UN a bill too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Did NATO really get that much from Greece?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

SeattleGriz wrote: Did NATO really get that much from Greece?
AS PERCENTAGE OF GDP.

Their GDP is shit.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I don't think we are spending on NATO per se. I think we are spending what we spend on the military in our own self interest. We are exerting influence. And we get to have bases all over the place in order to do that.

I think that, if all the other countries in NATO said, "Fine, United States. We're dissolving NATO. Get all your bases, materials, and troops out of our countries" we would be horrified. Of course they wouldn't do that because they have an interest in maintaining the situation as well.

But we're not spending what we spend on our military because NATO makes us. We're doing that because we want to. We can argue about whether we should want to spend as much as we do on the military as we do. But we're not doing it because of NATO. In fact without NATO we might be spending more.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote:

Abruptly

Quickly
Immediately

Post Haste

Pronto

ASAP
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

AZGrizFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Abruptly

Quickly
Immediately

Post Haste

Pronto

ASAP
Toot Sweet

Like a bat outta hell

Like gluten through kalm
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
I don't think we are spending on NATO per se. I think we are spending what we spend on the military in our own self interest. We are exerting influence. And we get to have bases all over the place in order to do that.

I think that, if all the other countries in NATO said, "Fine, United States. We're dissolving NATO. Get all your bases, materials, and troops out of our countries" we would be horrified. Of course they wouldn't do that because they have an interest in maintaining the situation as well.

But we're not spending what we spend on our military because NATO makes us. We're doing that because we want to. We can argue about whether we should want to spend as much as we do on the military as we do. But we're not doing it because of NATO. In fact without NATO we might be spending more.
You never fail to miss the point JSO

It isn't the military expenditures that make NATO bad for America

NATO is the very definition of an entangling alliance - when the belief that the aim of the Soviet Union was to dominate the globe via state communism (and did nothing to dispel that belief) then NATO made sense to a degree

It no longer does, and now we are bound by treaty to enter a war between Russia and any number of European countries that do not take their own defense seriously. Or Turkey. Take your pick. Germany has the ability to individually defend the continent and they choose not to. Germany could surpass Russia in military capabilities within 5-10 years if they wanted to. That right there is why we should pull out
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

CAA Flagship wrote:
AS PERCENTAGE OF GDP.

Their GDP is shit.
Lazy Mediterranean trash.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote:

That's where I was going. You don't start negotiating with the number you hope it will end up at.
:nod:

Entertaining ploy by Trump, earns some creativity points for sure. :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

You never fail to miss the point JSO

It isn't the military expenditures that make NATO bad for America

NATO is the very definition of an entangling alliance - when the belief that the aim of the Soviet Union was to dominate the globe via state communism (and did nothing to dispel that belief) then NATO made sense to a degree

It no longer does, and now we are bound by treaty to enter a war between Russia and any number of European countries that do not take their own defense seriously. Or Turkey. Take your pick. Germany has the ability to individually defend the continent and they choose not to. Germany could surpass Russia in military capabilities within 5-10 years if they wanted to. That right there is why we should pull out
:nod:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

CAA Flagship wrote:
AS PERCENTAGE OF GDP.

Their GDP is shit.
I saw that is was a %, just curious as Greece hasn't seemed to pay any bills the last couple of years.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

SeattleGriz wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: AS PERCENTAGE OF GDP.

Their GDP is shit.
I saw that is was a %, just curious as Greece hasn't seemed to pay any bills the last couple of years.
Here is the GDP stats for Greece. Scroll down to see comparison with other countries. 2% isn't enough to defend themselves from a family of alligators invading their shores. :lol:

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/greece/gdp
Aho Old Guy
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Tweetsee
A.K.A.: Evil & Nastie

Post by Aho Old Guy »

Low-brow move by the Manhattan Hillbilly.

I believe the NATO 2% has to be put in context. They likely spend a similar percentage as the US for readiness, training and operations. America spends more deploying our 'special interests' (nod-nod, wink-wink), and that's what NATO is pretty much all about. It begins with a B and ends with a 61. We're spending a lot on that.

And, a lot on 'overseas contingency operations,' R&D and procurement <---- BINGO!

We want them to spend more 'procure-ing' our stuff. We make some good stuff.
"But the damned and the guiltiest among you are the men who had the capacity to know, yet chose to blank out reality, the men who were willing to sell their intelligence into cynical servitude..."
- John Galt
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Aho Old Guy wrote:Low-brow move by the Manhattan Hillbilly.

I believe the NATO 2% has to be put in context. They likely spend a similar percentage as the US for readiness, training and operations. America spends more deploying our 'special interests' (nod-nod, wink-wink), and that's what NATO is pretty much all about. It begins with a B and ends with a 61. We're spending a lot on that.

And, a lot on 'overseas contingency operations,' R&D and procurement <---- BINGO!

We want them to spend more 'procure-ing' our stuff. We make some good stuff.
They don't. Germany and other countries put their eggs in the operational basket and little else. They have zero support and logistics, and no transport. They (and the rest of NATO) depend entirely on us for moving their crap around and putting gas in it.

And if our goal is money for Northrop Grumman, then we should be pulling out if NATO entirely. Defense stocks would double the next day.