kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Сделаем Америку снова великой!

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:
kalm wrote:Wouldn't Snowden have been influenced by what happened to Thomas Drake?

How easy is it for a low level private contractor to gain access to a Senator?
It's this very complex process called an email.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So Rand Paul is going to personally receive an email from a low level private contractor he doesn't know and read it?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote:Wouldn't Snowden have been influenced by what happened to Thomas Drake?

How easy is it for a low level private contractor to gain access to a Senator?
How difficult is it to call, write, email your congressman and the congressmen and women on the appropriate committees? It's easy. Then there's the schedule an appointment trick, which is probably the most difficult.

https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

So Rand Paul is going to personally receive an email from a low level private contractor he doesn't know and read it?
Of course not. That's what staffers are for. Staffers are also trained that when they read letters, emails, take phone calls, to recognize something that could be of grave importance. You can always stake them out at town halls and local events.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote:
kalm wrote:
Of course not. That's what staffers are for. Staffers are also trained that when they read letters, emails, take phone calls, to recognize something that could be of grave importance. You can always stake them out at town halls and local events.
Still seems like it would be challenging to get through. I'm guessing they weed through a bunch correspondence from all sorts of cooks and conspiracy theorists with claims to top secret shit that can only be divulged directly to the the Senator.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Of course not. That's what staffers are for. Staffers are also trained that when they read letters, emails, take phone calls, to recognize something that could be of grave importance. You can always stake them out at town halls and local events.
Still seems like it would be challenging to get through. I'm guessing they weed through a bunch correspondence from all sorts of cooks and conspiracy theorists with claims to top secret **** that can only be divulged directly to the the Senator.
What's harder? Doing all that to talk to a Senator or say, flee the country and be holed up in a foreign country for several years with little hope of returning to the US and not be put in prison for decades? If I was Snowden, I would've kept plugging away through the channels and not booked a flight to Moscow (yes, I know he didn't go there first, thanks).
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Of course not. That's what staffers are for. Staffers are also trained that when they read letters, emails, take phone calls, to recognize something that could be of grave importance. You can always stake them out at town halls and local events.
Still seems like it would be challenging to get through. I'm guessing they weed through a bunch correspondence from all sorts of cooks and conspiracy theorists with claims to top secret shit that can only be divulged directly to the the Senator.
Yeah, I guess it's easier to contact a reporter and flee to Moscow. :coffee:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

I received a personal handwritten response from James Webb after sending him an email through his office clearinghouse email address, so yes- a staffer surely flagged it for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

He would have been sharing classified intelligence with a Senator. That's a crime for both Snowden and the Senator, no?

Then, the Senator is now in the position of whether to go to the authorities with the information or not. If the Senator doesn't go to the authorities with the information, you sure as shit better believe it will be used against him in his next election if he's not charged with illegally receiving classified information.

Rand Paul has said Snowden deserves to be in a jail cell. Why do y'all think he would be so receptive to putting his neck out there for Snowden?
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote:
If it were me, which I know is easy to say, I'd have all the documentation and proof that i went through all the avenues available to me. Then i'd go to the press if It were something that serious. I'd have a lot more respect for him if he was on CNN stating, " Here is all the documentation to show that I called and emailed the IGs, Senators, Representatives, people in DOJ, etc... and I have had no response..." But he didn't.

And honestly, I would go for the newest, greenest people on the HIll before I went to a McCain or Paul. Those newbies will have more time and while new, they're inside the Gov't. It's a toe in the door.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:
kalm wrote:
I received a personal handwritten response from James Webb after sending him an email through his office clearinghouse email address, so yes- a staffer surely flagged it for him.

That's impressive.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
Still seems like it would be challenging to get through. I'm guessing they weed through a bunch correspondence from all sorts of cooks and conspiracy theorists with claims to top secret **** that can only be divulged directly to the the Senator.
The sender would be vetted very quickly

Wait a sec Mr Troll

You're talking about a guy who went to a lot of trouble to download scads of secrets

then went through a very convoluted process of flying to Hong Kong and then looking for asylum

with zero record of having tried to contact any of the proper channels -

And you're wondering if its because he found it just too daunting a task to get an audience with the biggest anti-surveillance state Senator

Give me a break man

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Skjellyfetti wrote:He would have been sharing classified intelligence with a Senator. That's a crime for both Snowden and the Senator, no?

Then, the Senator is now in the position of whether to go to the authorities with the information or not. If the Senator doesn't go to the authorities with the information, you sure as shit better believe it will be used against him in his next election if he's not charged with illegally receiving classified information.

Rand Paul has said Snowden deserves to be in a jail cell. Why do y'all think he would be so receptive to putting his neck out there for Snowden?

He's already in trouble for removing classified information, for good reason or not. Sharing it with the intent to right a wrong would seem inconsequential to me at that point. :twocents:

Besides, at that point the Senator would either do the right thing (report it) or cover it up. If you receive something you believe to be classified and above your level, you are required to immediately report it.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote:
kalm wrote:
Yeah, I guess it's easier to contact a reporter and flee to Moscow. :coffee:
I didn't say his chosen path was easier. But he's clearly not an idiot and chose it for a reason. Despite CID's success in getting a response from Webb, "just dial up your Senator" seems a little over-simplified.

:coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Yeah, I guess it's easier to contact a reporter and flee to Moscow. :coffee:
I didn't say his chosen path was easier. But he's clearly not an idiot and chose it for a reason. Despite CID's success in getting a response from Webb, "just dial up your Senator" seems a little over-simplified.

:coffee:
The point is to exhaust all options before leaking it to the press. He didn't. There were 535 people in Congress that he could've contacted if the agencies were ignoring him.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

I'm going to write to my Senator and tell him I have 30 gb of classified information I'd like to share with him.

How long before some FBI agents are kicking in my door? ;) :lol:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:I'm going to write to my Senator and tell him I have 30 gb of classified information I'd like to share with him.

Well, the first thing is not to illegally download the 30GB of information. You're supposed to whistleblow first, then if you exhaust all channels then you think about downloading the information, hopping a plane to Russia, and getting Oliver Stone on your speed dial so you can tell you're side of the story.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:I'm going to write to my Senator and tell him I have 30 gb of classified information I'd like to share with him.

Well, the first thing is not to illegally download the 30GB of information. You're supposed to whistleblow first, then if you exhaust all channels then you think about downloading the information, hopping a plane to Russia, and getting Oliver Stone on your speed dial so you can tell you're side of the story.
Now I know how the autistic class teacher in my high school felt

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:He would have been sharing classified intelligence with a Senator. That's a crime for both Snowden and the Senator, no?

Then, the Senator is now in the position of whether to go to the authorities with the information or not. If the Senator doesn't go to the authorities with the information, you sure as **** better believe it will be used against him in his next election if he's not charged with illegally receiving classified information.

The activity you describe above would be borderline, but covered under whistleblower protections

Rand Paul is on a committee that has oversight over homeland security. So is Justin Amash

Rand Paul said Snowden deserved to be in jail for all the things not related to domestic spying that he took to China and Russia- and the fact that he DIDN'T go through the proper channels - I'm sure you see the difference but are just being intentionally obtuse

You are making some pretty goofy and poorly-informed arguments there

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

No. You should advise that the information/programs/activities are occurring. Don't download classified info,even if you have the authority. Do that when you've exhausted all options.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

He had the temerity to give you a B once didn't he?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

He had the temerity to give you a B once didn't he?
He thoughts CIDs brushstrokes were bold.
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Post by YoUDeeMan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Well, Snowden claimed he raised concerns over 10 times internally and was ignored.

The NSA always denied this.

Then internal NSA documents were obtained by FOIA request. And, now we know that he was telling the truth.

https://news.vice.com/story/exclusive-s ... s-concerns
That is a stretch. Even the article you linked doesn't outwardly support any claims made be Snowden. :dunce:

Stick with graphs. :ohno:
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Post by YoUDeeMan »

kalm wrote: Still seems like it would be challenging to get through. I'm guessing they weed through a bunch correspondence from all sorts of cooks...
So that's how our Senators get all the secret recipes. :coffee:
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

"Trust us. Snowden is being untruthful."

- The Government

:lol:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

klam you've staked your Spandos claim on this issue - we can take your position as read by now