Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Сделаем Америку снова великой! Trump - Russia megathread

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote:My only focus on this is the FISA application. There are way too many other moving parts to which the only "evidence" is from bias reporting. I don't give a rat's ass about Strzok, Nunes, Papa-alphabetsoup, or anything else. All I know is that in order to file for a FISA warrant, somebody would have had to do some investigative work first in order to fill out the application. And that information should be as accurate as possible. I just want to know what was on the application and if it was accurate.
Agreed...and I'm guessing the right would be very disappointed.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:My only focus on this is the FISA application. There are way too many other moving parts to which the only "evidence" is from bias reporting. I don't give a rat's ass about Strzok, Nunes, Papa-alphabetsoup, or anything else. All I know is that in order to file for a FISA warrant, somebody would have had to do some investigative work first in order to fill out the application. And that information should be as accurate as possible. I just want to know what was on the application and if it was accurate.
Either way, this is good for the country. The FBI and DOJ are getting a wake up call to fly straight if they weren't already. I'll bet the frequency of texts among government officials have dropped like rock in the last year. :lol:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Misleading a Court is about the worst sin a lawyer can commit. At least one or two disbarments should result from this.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote:Misleading a Court is about the worst sin a lawyer can commit. At least one or two disbarments should result from this.
Thanks, Mr Nunes. :coffee:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:Misleading a Court is about the worst sin a lawyer can commit. At least one or two disbarments should result from this.
Nunes isn’t a lawyer. So piss off.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote:
You just grounded your club in a hazard. :ohno:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote:
kalm wrote:
You just grounded your club in a hazard. :ohno:
Thanks Mrs. Nunes. :coffee:

(Hint: I'll wait for the evidence that the court was mislead)
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: You just grounded your club in a hazard. :ohno:

Omitting material facts from a document presented to a court is a good way to get your ass scalded by sanctions or worse. Not sure the matter will ever be properly presented to the FISA court, so it’s probably a moot point.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote:
kalm wrote:

Omitting material facts from a document presented to a court is a good way to get your ass scalded by sanctions or worse. Not sure the matter will ever be properly presented to the FISA court, so it’s probably a moot point.
That's what happened according to your non-lawyer friend, Nunes...which is all we have to go with.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Omitting material facts from a document presented to a court is a good way to get your ass scalded by sanctions or worse. Not sure the matter will ever be properly presented to the FISA court, so it’s probably a moot point.
That's what happened according to your non-lawyer friend, Nunes...which is all we have to go with.
I think this whole kerfuffle is a political kabuki dance that won’t assume Watergate “constitutional crisis” mode unless Drumpf does something stupid, which is entirely possible. But for now, it’s a crashing bore.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote:
kalm wrote:
I think this whole kerfuffle is a political kabuki dance that won’t assume Watergate “constitutional crisis” mode unless Drumpf does something stupid, which is entirely possible. But for now, it’s a crashing bore.
Agreed, Homey. :thumb:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Liberals will say this is nothing.

Cons will say it's Uge,

The average American is either too stupid or simply doesn't care to know what this whole thing is really about.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

∞∞∞ wrote:Yeah, I'll trust the FBI over a (highly) partisan GOP member every single time.
In that regard, recall that the leadership of the FBI has changed. It's not the same as it was when the FBI sought the subject FISA warrant. The Director is now a Trump appointee.

So, again, the FBI said, "As expressed during our initial review, we have grave concerns about material omissions of fact that fundamentally impact the memo’s accuracy."

The response by Republicans I've seen has basically been "Yeah of course they are saying that when we're criticizing them."

But why would the new leadership of the FBI say that when they're not the ones being criticized? Remember, the schtick has been that the leadership of the FBI at the time was biased and trying to help the Democrats. Why would the current leadership of the FBI lie in order to protect the old leadership of the FBI? Why would the new Director openly sanction a false statement about material omissions of fact that he knows the guy who appointed him isn't going to like when he's not the one being criticized?

When you look at the Republicans a potential motivation for misleading is obvious. When you look at the Democrats there is also an obvious potential motivation for misleading. When you look at the current FBI Director that's not the case.
Last edited by JohnStOnge on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

CAA Flagship wrote:
kalm wrote:
Either way, this is good for the country. The FBI and DOJ are getting a wake up call to fly straight if they weren't already. I'll bet the frequency of texts among government officials have dropped like rock in the last year. :lol:
What could be more entertaining than the party of Law and Order and the FBI destroying each others credibility? Grab a cold one and enjoy the show! :rofl:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

CAA Flagship wrote: Either way, this is good for the country. The FBI and DOJ are getting a wake up call to fly straight if they weren't already. I'll bet the frequency of texts among government officials have dropped like rock in the last year. :lol:
If it ends up that you become convinced that the memo is an intentional effort to mischaracterize what the FBI did in order to mislead the public, would you still think this is good for the country?
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Either way, this is good for the country. The FBI and DOJ are getting a wake up call to fly straight if they weren't already. I'll bet the frequency of texts among government officials have dropped like rock in the last year. :lol:
If it ends up that you become convinced that the memo is an intentional effort to mischaracterize what the FBI did in order to mislead the public, would you still think this is good for the country?
Yes...because not my tribe. :lol:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

JohnStOnge wrote:
The FBI and DOJ do the wrong things at times. No person, or agency, is immune from breaking the rules. So with regard to this incident, no matter what the outcome is, I think they will be more conscious of their decisions going forward, at least in the near term.
Therefore, my "either way" comment stands as it relates to how the FBI and DOJ operates.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Six senior leaders of the FBI and/or the DOJ have either been fired or reassigned as a result of the information contained in this memo. Does that tell you anything? :dunce:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
Six senior leaders of the FBI and/or the DOJ have either been fired or reassigned as a result of the information contained in this memo. Does that tell you anything? :dunce:
Which ones?
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote:
Baldy wrote: Six senior leaders of the FBI and/or the DOJ have either been fired or reassigned as a result of the information contained in this memo. Does that tell you anything? :dunce:
Which ones?
1. James Baker - General Counsel for the FBI
2. James Rybicki - Comey's Chief of Staff
3. Bruce Ohr - Associate Attorney General
4. Peter Strzok - Chief of the Counterespionage Section of the FBI
5. Lisa Page - Federal Prosecutor for the FBI and DOJ
6. Andrew McCabe - Deputy Director of the FBI
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote:
kalm wrote:
Which ones?
1. James Baker - General Counsel for the FBI
Was that before or after Strozk co-authored Comey’s October surprise? Strozk and Page not only disliked Trump, they disliked Clinton and Sanders as well.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote:
Baldy wrote: 1. James Baker - General Counsel for the FBI
Was that before or after Strozk co-authored Comey’s October surprise? Strozk and Page not only disliked Trump, they disliked Clinton and Sanders as well.
According to their texts, they were rooting hard for Clinton to beat Trump..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Got two things to say here.

1) Sydney Blumenthal
2) Self fulfilling references. I did this years ago in which I made an intelligent design claim and then backed it up with a Google link that took you to my original statement on this board...or something close to that. It was back when we were beating Capn to death and no one bothered to fact check me. This is the Isikoff Yahho article in real life.

I didn't come up with the idea, but copied some article we were all arguing over in which the author referenced an idea he had put forth as proof of it's validity.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

SeattleGriz wrote:Got two things to say here.

1) Sydney Blumenthal
2) Self fulfilling references. I did this years ago in which I made an intelligent design claim and then backed it up with a Google link that took you to my original statement on this board...or something close to that. It was back when we were beating Capn to death and no one bothered to fact check me. This is the Isikoff Yahho article in real life.

I didn't come up with the idea, but copied some article we were all arguing over in which the author referenced an idea he had put forth as proof of it's validity.
Sid was just an old friend...right? 8-) :coffee: Nothing to see here.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)