Political discussions
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: Left Being Duped Over Global Warming

Post by JohnStOnge »

Well fellas, I just happened to come across this thread again by clicking an icon right after my browser opened. Then I clicked on the link to the story at the top of this thread. Lo and behold, I got a bunch of text about how it's a bogus story. Here's kind of the bottom line:
Following an article published on 5 February 2017 in the Mail on Sunday, headlined 'EXPOSED How world leaders were duped over global warming', Bob Ward complained to the Independent Press Standards Organisation that the newspaper had breached Clause 1 (Accuracy) of the Editors' Code of Practice. IPSO upheld the complaint and has required the Mail on Sunday to publish this decision as a remedy to the breach.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -data.html
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

The Trump administration released a dire scientific report Friday calling human activity the dominant driver of global warming, a conclusion at odds with White House decisions to withdraw from a key international climate accord, champion fossil fuels and reverse Obama-era climate policies.

To the surprise of some scientists, the White House did not seek to prevent the release of the government’s National Climate Assessment, which is mandated by law. The report affirms that climate change is driven almost entirely by human action, warns of potential sea-level rise as high as eight feet by the year 2100, and details climate-related damage across the United States that is already unfolding as a result of 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit of global warming since 1900.

“It is extremely likely that human influence has been the dominant cause of the observed warming since the mid-20th century,” the document reports. “For the warming over the last century, there is no convincing alternative explanation supported by the extent of the observational evidence.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ene ... f6572f7736
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Grizalltheway wrote:
The Trump administration released a dire scientific report Friday calling human activity the dominant driver of global warming, a conclusion at odds with White House decisions to withdraw from a key international climate accord, champion fossil fuels and reverse Obama-era climate policies.

To the surprise of some scientists, the White House did not seek to prevent the release of the government’s National Climate Assessment, which is mandated by law. The report affirms that climate change is driven almost entirely by human action, warns of potential sea-level rise as high as eight feet by the year 2100, and details climate-related damage across the United States that is already unfolding as a result of 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit of global warming since 1900.

“It is extremely likely that human influence has been the dominant cause of the observed warming since the mid-20th century,” the document reports. “For the warming over the last century, there is no convincing alternative explanation supported by the extent of the observational evidence.”
It'll be interesting to see how the Administration reacts to this if it's asked about it

Otherwise, I have to say that I'm glad they mentioned that it's observational evidence. The problem with reaching a conclusion based on "there is no convincing alternative explanation supported by the extent of observational evidence" is that you have to assume you know what all the alternative explanations are.

If it's a conclusion based on controlled experimentation you don't have to make that assumption.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Left Being Duped Over Global Warming

Post by CID1990 »

Grizalltheway wrote:

There is nothing at odds with withdrawing from meaningless climate accords like the Paris Accords - you could be 100% in the AGW camp and it would still be a common sense move

Amazing how these things take a life of their own.

There is also a major inaccuracy in that same first sentence. Anybody with a brain care to pick it out? (And why it contributes to climate change denial?)
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris