Political discussions
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: The Official "Making America Great Again" Thread

Post by JohnStOnge »

The Dow closed out the year at 23,327. If it had increased at the average rate it did from the start of the bull market on March 9, 2009, through November 8, 2016 election day from November 9, 2016 through the end of 2018 it would've closed 2018 at 24,327.

I used election day because that's the best scenario for making Trump look good. I won't run the numbers but I think you can see that if you were to take the average rate for March 9, 2009, through Obama's last day in office on January 19, 2017, it'd be a little bit higher and you'd get a somewhat higher estimate for what the Dow would've closed at today.

Another thing: The percent loss in 2018 was higher than any percent loss during the Obama administration. The only negative year during the Obama Administration was 2015; when the Dow lost 2.23%. There may be some adjustment to affect the exact final 2018 amount but as of now it looks like the Dow lost about 3.5% during 2018. Not too bad. But more of a loss during any of the Obama years.

So we had a good year in 2017 at 25.08% but it fell short of the top annual rate of return during the Obama Administration (26.5% during 2013). And now there's been a loss at a rate greater than any during the Obama years. Also, the 26.5% 2013 gain during the Obama years was immediately followed by a 7.5% gain during 2014.

I think we can officially stop citing the stock market as an indication of Trump improving things. His first two years are now officially a little bit below average for the current bull market. That's IF it's still a bull market. It's teetering on being declared a bear market now. So we're looking at possibly going from a bull market to a bear market under Trump.

Not that I think he necessarily would have caused it if it happens. But if you are going to claim what's going on in the stock market is due to you when things are going well you need to be ready to claim what's going on in the stock market is due to you went things are not going so well.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:The Dow closed out the year at 23,327. If it had increased at the average rate it did from the start of the bull market on March 9, 2009, through November 8, 2016 election day from November 9, 2016 through the end of 2018 it would've closed 2018 at 24,327.

I used election day because that's the best scenario for making Trump look good. I won't run the numbers but I think you can see that if you were to take the average rate for March 9, 2009, through Obama's last day in office on January 19, 2017, it'd be a little bit higher and you'd get a somewhat higher estimate for what the Dow would've closed at today.

Another thing: The percent loss in 2018 was higher than any percent loss during the Obama administration. The only negative year during the Obama Administration was 2015; when the Dow lost 2.23%. There may be some adjustment to affect the exact final 2018 amount but as of now it looks like the Dow lost about 3.5% during 2018. Not too bad. But more of a loss during any of the Obama years.

So we had a good year in 2017 at 25.08% but it fell short of the top annual rate of return during the Obama Administration (26.5% during 2013). And now there's been a loss at a rate greater than any during the Obama years. Also, the 26.5% 2013 gain during the Obama years was immediately followed by a 7.5% gain during 2014.

I think we can officially stop citing the stock market as an indication of Trump improving things. His first two years are now officially a little bit below average for the current bull market. That's IF it's still a bull market. It's teetering on being declared a bear market now. So we're looking at possibly going from a bull market to a bear market under Trump.

Not that I think he necessarily would have caused it if it happens. But if you are going to claim what's going on in the stock market is due to you when things are going well you need to be ready to claim what's going on in the stock market is due to you went things are not going so well.
TL/DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:The Dow closed out the year at 23,327. If it had increased at the average rate it did from the start of the bull market on March 9, 2009, through November 8, 2016 election day from November 9, 2016 through the end of 2018 it would've closed 2018 at 24,327.

I have a one-word New Year’s resolution for you: brevity.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ivytalk wrote: I have a one-word New Year’s resolution for you: brevity.
Ok. If you want the short version where I just state the facts without citing data to back up:

The Dow's performance in terms of percent increase over given time during Trump's time in office is now below that from the start of the bull market on March 9, 2009 through election day 2016 as well as that from the start of the bull market through the end of Obama's term. Also, we are close to switching from bull market to bear market; which didn't happen during Obama's term.

Hopefully that falls within the attention span capability of everybody on the board.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Ok. If you want the short version where I just state the facts without citing data to back up:

The Dow's performance in terms of percent increase over given time during Trump's time in office is now below that from the start of the bull market on March 9, 2009 through election day 2016 as well as that from the start of the bull market through the end of Obama's term. Also, we are close to switching from bull market to bear market; which didn't happen during Obama's term.

Hopefully that falls within the attention span capability of everybody on the board.
Where are you getting this information from?
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote: Where are you getting this information from?
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Why are Nancy Pelosi and the rest of the Democrat bobbleheads arguing that we should stay in Syria??

"A Christmas present to Vladimir Putin"

Looks like Red Scarism aint just a Republican tool anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: The Official "Making America Great Again" Thread

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote:

But if Trump didn't deserve credit for the rise how can he be responsible for the drop? You argued that the rise was just a continuation of a trend. Isn't the drop what happens naturally after a rise runs it's course? You need to glue your tongue back together, Senator Warren would say that it's forked.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: RE: Re: The Official

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

But if Trump didn't deserve credit for the rise how can he be responsible for the drop? You argued that the rise was just a continuation of a trend. Isn't the drop what happens naturally after a rise runs it's course? You need to glue your tongue back together, Senator Warren would say that it's forked.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
John doesn’t understand economics. he’s made that painfully clear here in his several hundred posts about the stock market and the economy.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

HI54UNI wrote:
I am enjoying the ride. Bartender, another round of schadenfreude for the house please! :thumb:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

JohnStOnge wrote:

Must you always drone on so?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

houndawg wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

Yes, he must.

Ever had a kid on the spectrum? You do get used to it, believe it or not.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

93henfan wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Yes, he must.

He's still the best troll here, and that's saying something.. :shock:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Yes, he must.

Nah, to be a troll he would have to be purposely saying stuff just to get a rise out of people. In that he actually believes what he's posting is the absolute truth, he doesn't fit the definition. I like 93's view that JSO is just on the spectrum - that would make a lot more sense. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

Trump said that he will keep the government shut down for months or years & use national emergency powers to bypass Congress & have the U.S. military construct his Wall. The U.S. government will use eminent domain to take land in Texas, New Mexico & Arizona to build it. Mexico will not pay for his Wall.....U.S. taxpayers will.

#Winning #MAGA

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

mainejeff wrote:Trump said that he will keep the government shut down for months or years & use national emergency powers to bypass Congress & have the U.S. military construct his Wall. The U.S. government will use eminent domain to take land in Texas, New Mexico & Arizona to build it. Mexico will not pay for his Wall.....U.S. taxpayers will.

#Winning #MAGA

He left out "figuratively". He meant to say that he was going to figuratively build a wall and Mexico was going to figuratively pay for it.

I'm literally hoping he was talking about figuratively shutting down the government for months, because my mortgage holder doesn't accept figurative funds.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Nah, to be a troll he would have to be purposely saying stuff just to get a rise out of people. In that he actually believes what he's posting is the absolute truth, he doesn't fit the definition. I like 93's view that JSO is just on the spectrum - that would make a lot more sense. :coffee:
Could be both - from conservative stalwart to Clinton supporter.... there's some trolling... :nod:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

mainejeff wrote:Trump said that he will keep the government shut down for months or years & use national emergency powers to bypass Congress & have the U.S. military construct his Wall. The U.S. government will use eminent domain to take land in Texas, New Mexico & Arizona to build it. Mexico will not pay for his Wall.....U.S. taxpayers will.

#Winning #MAGA

Cue the Batshit Bundys and their posse riding to the rescue. :lol:

Even Ammon Bundy is talking trash about President Mushroomdick... :shock:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

I don't see why they just don't use all the money they're saving during the shutdown to pay for it..?

:lol:

Literally the paychecks of Federal Employees
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Trump to declare national emergency and have the military build the wall? What an ultramaroon. :dunce:

Trump’s “base” shrinks by the day. At this rate, if he runs again, he’ll lose bigly.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Ivytalk wrote:Trump to declare national emergency and have the military build the wall? What an ultramaroon. :dunce:

Trump’s “base” shrinks by the day. At this rate, if he runs again, he’ll lose bigly.
What are you talking about Roofus !!!
The Military building the wall is the single best use of the US Military since WWII

:nod:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:Trump to declare national emergency and have the military build the wall? What an ultramaroon. :dunce:

The Military building the wall is the single best use of the US Military since WWII

The US Army Corps of Engineers was basically founded to do physical security improvements. These days they are mostly about dams and waterways but back in the day they built fortifications all over the country

A border wall is right up their alley
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

BTW this is what happens when Republicans go full-on Trump and throw fiscal responsibility out the window...

They lose standing to criticize stupidity like this:

http://reason.com/blog/2019/01/03/ocasi ... re-for-all
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Re: The Official

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

The US Army Corps of Engineers was basically founded to do physical security improvements. These days they are mostly about dams and waterways but back in the day they built fortifications all over the country

A border wall is right up their alley
It suggests the obvious compromise of Trump gets his useless wall but the Pentagon pays for it with no increase to their budget. They might want to be careful with their heaviest equipment so the tunnels aren't damaged..