Political discussions
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Proposed solution

Post by JohnStOnge »

An automatic runoff of sorts. We eliminate the Electoral College and go to pure popular vote. But each voter gets to indicate two choices for President. They get to pick a #1 and a #2 choice. Then the #1 choice votes are tallied. If no candidate gets more than 50% of the vote in terms of #1 choices, the top two vote getters are identified. Then the #2 choice votes of those whose #1 choices aren't among the top two would go to whoever they voted for as #2. That would almost certainly result in one candidate getting more than 50%.

This would take away the restraint on 3rd Party voting. So like for example someone really wanted to vote for Gary Johnson. Under the current system they have to feel like if they vote for Johnson they're wasting their vote. But with an automatic runoff voting scheme they could feel free to vote for who they really want to vote for as the #1 choice while knowing if he or she didn't make the top two they would still be represented.

Some might say you might need to go farther than #1 and #2 choices. I think that's unlikely. But if we started seeing indications that maybe we need to go to adding a #3 choice to create a situation where someone ends up with >50% we could do that.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Re: Proposed solution

Post by HI54UNI »

No.

If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

HI54UNI wrote:No.
Why would you not want for people to be able to vote for a "third Party" candidate without having to worry about wasting their vote? This would be something that would free people to go ahead and give candidates from outside of the two major parties a shot.

Why would you not want something that might contribute to breaking the stranglehold the two major parties have on power?

And why would you not want for more than 50% of the voters to have to say they're good with it before someone becomes President?

I don't know about your State but in mine you can't have someone become Governor without that. If nobody gets >50% initially they have a runoff between the top two vote getters. I think doing that with President might be a bit much logistically but you could accomplish the same thing with automatic runoff voting.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

You're Crazy!!!

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

JohnStOnge wrote:An automatic runoff of sorts. We eliminate the Electoral College and go to pure popular vote. But each voter gets to indicate two choices for President. They get to pick a #1 and a #2 choice. Then the #1 choice votes are tallied. If no candidate gets more than 50% of the vote in terms of #1 choices, the top two vote getters are identified. Then the #2 choice votes of those whose #1 choices aren't among the top two would go to whoever they voted for as #2. That would almost certainly result in one candidate getting more than 50%.

This would take away the restraint on 3rd Party voting. So like for example someone really wanted to vote for Gary Johnson. Under the current system they have to feel like if they vote for Johnson they're wasting their vote. But with an automatic runoff voting scheme they could feel free to vote for who they really want to vote for as the #1 choice while knowing if he or she didn't make the top two they would still be represented.

Some might say you might need to go farther than #1 and #2 choices. I think that's unlikely. But if we started seeing indications that maybe we need to go to adding a #3 choice to create a situation where someone ends up with >50% we could do that.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

I agree with that and would take it a step farther...I wouldn't just use the votes for runoffs, but tally with a point system like you use in a sports ranking poll.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Pwns wrote:I agree with that and would take it a step farther...I wouldn't just use the votes for runoffs, but tally with a point system like you use in a sports ranking poll.
We really should take the human error factor out of it and just let computers pick the best candidate.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

No.

If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

While I tend to agree with this idea and want to break up the duopoly, Fiver is making some truly compelling counterpoints.

That Iowa kid is a master debater.
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Post by YoUDeeMan »

JSO...Constitutionalist. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:While I tend to agree with this idea and want to break up the duopoly, Fiver is making some truly compelling counterpoints.

That Iowa kid is a master debater.
Agreed. He's killing this one... :notworthy: :notworthy:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Republicans haven't won a popular election in a long time...
and might likely never win another one

The likelihood of this getting any traction is almost zero
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Chizzang wrote:Republicans haven't won a popular election in a long time...

12 years is a long time?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Delaware State
A.K.A.: phillywild305

Re: RE: Re: Proposed solution

Post by DSUrocks07 »

Under the current system...

I think going to a pure popular vote would actually lead to MORE GOP voters going to the polls, especially in hardcore liberal metro areas, because they know that every vote is important. And we all know the apathy that Democrats have towards the political process in general.

Sent using Tapatalk because 89Hen hates this.
MEAC, last one out turn off the lights.

@phillywild305 FB
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

Why is it that the lefties suddenly hate the Electoral College system?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Never? :suspicious:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

ASUG8 wrote:Why is it that the lefties suddenly hate the Electoral College system?
B/c not only did they lose, but they didn't get a participation award. Funny, I don't recall liberals hating the Electoral College in 2008 or 2012. :coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

JohnStOnge wrote:An automatic runoff of sorts. We eliminate the Electoral College and go to pure popular vote. But each voter gets to indicate two choices for President. They get to pick a #1 and a #2 choice. Then the #1 choice votes are tallied. If no candidate gets more than 50% of the vote in terms of #1 choices, the top two vote getters are identified. Then the #2 choice votes of those whose #1 choices aren't among the top two would go to whoever they voted for as #2. That would almost certainly result in one candidate getting more than 50%.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Whereas there was some momentum that the Electoral College was archaic in 2000, this election actually has the reverse effect - the usefulness and the genius of the Electoral College was on full display. Piling up votes in liberal bubbles in isolated urban areas on either coast just isn't enough to win a national election if you get zero support from anywhere else in the country. Heck, that's almost exactly what the framers put the Electoral College in place for in the first place. This election has cemented the genius of the Electoral College for at least another generation, if not more. Hamilton and Madison are smiling somewhere.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote:Whereas there was some momentum that the Electoral College was archaic in 2000, this election actually has the reverse effect - the usefulness and the genius of the Electoral College was on full display. Piling up votes in liberal bubbles in isolated urban areas on either coast just isn't enough to win a national election if you get zero support from anywhere else in the country. Heck, that's almost exactly what the framers put the Electoral College in place for in the first place. This election has cemented the genius of the Electoral College for at least another generation, if not more. Hamilton and Madison are smiling somewhere.
Hamilton saw the Electoral College as a way of keeping the corrupt out of the office.
"Talents for low intrigue, and the little arts of popularity, may alone suffice to elevate a man to the first honors in a single State; but it will require other talents, and a different kind of merit, to establish him in the esteem and confidence of the whole Union, or of so considerable a portion of it as would be necessary to make him a successful candidate for the distinguished office of President of the United States"
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

ASUG8 wrote:Why is it that the lefties suddenly hate the Electoral College system?
This LEFTY loves it...

:nod:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

BDKJMU wrote:

12 years is a long time?
5 of the last 6 popular elections lost by the right

:coffee:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Other lefties who support the Electoral College:

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Whereas there was some momentum that the Electoral College was archaic in 2000, this election actually has the reverse effect - the usefulness and the genius of the Electoral College was on full display. Piling up votes in liberal bubbles in isolated urban areas on either coast just isn't enough to win a national election if you get zero support from anywhere else in the country. Heck, that's almost exactly what the framers put the Electoral College in place for in the first place. This election has cemented the genius of the Electoral College for at least another generation, if not more. Hamilton and Madison are smiling somewhere.
Hamilton saw the Electoral College as a way of keeping the corrupt out of the office.
"Talents for low intrigue, and the little arts of popularity, may alone suffice to elevate a man to the first honors in a single State; but it will require other talents, and a different kind of merit, to establish him in the esteem and confidence of the whole Union, or of so considerable a portion of it as would be necessary to make him a successful candidate for the distinguished office of President of the United States"
Yes, both him and Madison, in a remarkable bit of agreement following Madison's descent into Jeffersonian Republicanism, were both horrified and opposed to when states began to have elector slates that were bound to vote for a particular candidate (so you voted for a declared elector like today). They both always saw the independence of the Electoral College as a plus. But I still think they would've appreciated this outcome.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Bronco
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Post by Bronco »

-
Winner could be who wins the most counties

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. Al Swearengen
http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/childr ... bronco.wav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;