Political discussions
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Campus Happenings

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr., a staunch supporter of President Trump, reportedly reviewed and rejected stories and opinion pieces written about the president in the school's student newspaper.

World Magazine, a Christian news publication, reported Monday that tensions rose between Falwell Jr. and the school newspaper, The Champion, when the Evangelical leader endorsed Trump for president in 2016.

Falwell Jr. reportedly required that editors disclose whom a columnist planned to vote for in the 2016 election.

When sports editor Joel Schmieg penned a column objecting to Trump's vulgar comments on the "Access Hollywood" tape that was released in October 2016, Falwell Jr. ordered the piece be spiked because the paper had already run one Trump column that week, World Magazine reported.

Schmieg told the publication that he posted the column on his Facebook page instead, and was warned by school staff against doing so in the future.

“I didn’t feel comfortable being told what I couldn’t write about by President Falwell," Schmieg told World Magazine.

The World Magazine report cited Falwell's objections to the student newspaper as part of a broader pattern of Liberty University leadership stifling critical pieces student journalists pursued on campus.
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/40273 ... ump-report
I assume you don’t support this?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

CAA Flagship wrote:University of Texas to Treat Masculinity as a 'Mental Health' Issue
The Counseling and Mental Health Center at the University of Texas at Austin recently launched a new program to help male students “take control over their gender identity and develop a healthy sense of masculinity.”

Treating masculinity as if it were a mental health crisis, “MasculinUT” is organized by the school’s counseling staff and most recently organized a poster series encouraging students to develop a “healthy model of masculinity.”

The program is predicated on a critique of so-called “restrictive masculinity.” Men, the program argues, suffer when they are told to “act like a man” or when they are encouraged to fulfill traditional gender roles, such as being “successful” or “the breadwinner.”
This is comical.
Though you might enjoy “taking care of people” or being “active,” MasculinUT warns that many of these attributes are actually dangerous, claiming that “traditional ideas of masculinity place men into rigid (or restrictive) boxes [which]... prevent them from developing their emotional maturity.
:lol: :lol:

https://pjmedia.com/trending/university ... lth-issue/
Austin, as a whole, is lost. It’s a city full of emasculated pussies.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BDKJMU wrote:Mob rule for the Tarholes:
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local ... 35815.html
That's awesome. I hope more displays are toppled when action isn't being taken to remove them.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
That's awesome. I hope more displays are toppled when action isn't being taken to remove them.
Yeah that whole rule of law thing is inconvenient to rushing to the barricades isn't it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

CID1990 wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: That's awesome. I hope more displays are toppled when action isn't being taken to remove them.
Yeah that whole rule of law thing is inconvenient to rushing to the barricades isn't it
It's a moral obligation to ignore rule of law when the law is unjust and wrong.

These statues are just big participation trophies for traitors, losers, and lowlifes. Good on the students.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

These statues are just big participation trophies for traitors, losers, and lowlifes. Good on the students.
I'm fully aware of the righteous justification for mayhem, Treep

It is hardly a new concept - it has been used to legitimize all kinds of things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CID1990 wrote:I'm fully aware of the righteous justification for mayhem, Treep

That’s the future we’re headed toward and curing it will be bloody, though necessary.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

NC state law says the statue can’t be removed without state approval. According to the article UNC already spent 390k guarding/protecting it (they clearly weren’t doing enough) from all the millenial snowflakes at UNC. They should tack the cost to repair, put back up and protect onto student fees.

We shouldn’t be surprised at all. As the late, great Jesse Helms once said in response to North Carolina deciding to build a state zoo, “Couldn’t we just put up a fence around Chapel Hill?” (or something to that effect)..
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

These aren't Millennials anymore, BDK.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote:Austin, as a whole, is lost. It’s a city full of emasculated pussies.
Well since the rest of the state walks bowlegged, it evens itself out.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

∞∞∞ wrote:These aren't Millennials anymore, BDK.
College kids now are mostly 18-22. That would put them born 1996-2000. According to the interwebs, the most commonly accepted Gen Y or millenials are those born 1982-2000.

So, yes, they are millenials.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BDKJMU wrote:
College kids now are mostly 18-22. That would put them born 1996-2000. According to the interwebs, the most commonly accepted Gen Y or millenials are those born 1982-2000.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... ign=buffer

1996 is becoming the agreed on end of the millennial generation.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:
I'm not sure destruction of property is a peaceful assembly as outlined in our Constitution.....ahhh look at who I'm talking to you.

Laws are for white people....not the minorities or the ones with hurt feelings, right?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:Austin, as a whole, is lost. It’s a city full of emasculated pussies.
Well since the rest of the state walks bowlegged, it evens itself out.
That's just the women.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:

It's been changing. I think the end date for Millennials was 2004 but it's been moving backwards (and I've seen some places put the end date for Gen X as 1984. Which makes me a Gen Xer. :thumb: )

Signed, Elder Millennial. :lol:
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

93henfan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:I'm fully aware of the righteous justification for mayhem, Treep

That’s the future we’re headed toward and curing it will be bloody, though necessary.
These are scary times. The snowflakes, the Kardashian "me! me! me!" selfie culture, hurt feelings, every person is their own minority group.....

America is doomed. Hate to be a glass half empty Debbie Downer, but the current slope is too slippery.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

∞∞∞ wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

It's a piece of marble that isn't violating anyone's rights. Hope the participating students are identified and punished.
Why are so many liberal young men scrawny soyboys?
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Pwns wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: It's a moral obligation to ignore rule of law when the law is unjust and wrong.

It's a piece of marble that isn't violating anyone's rights. Hope the participating students are identified and punished.
And hopefully other universities give them full-rides for tearing down symbols of hate.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ibanez wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: That's awesome. I hope more displays are toppled when action isn't being taken to remove them.
I'm not sure destruction of property is a peaceful assembly as outlined in our Constitution.....ahhh look at who I'm talking to you.

Laws are for white people....not the minorities or the ones with hurt feelings, right?
Those at the top of the food chain often decry the pleas of those on the plate.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Pwns wrote:
And hopefully other universities give them full-rides for tearing down symbols of hate.
Thankfully what defines a symbol of hate is always very clear and certainly not in any doubt. We should really use mobs more often, I can't ever see that being a bad thing. :rofl:

With that said, millennial babying aside, UNC should've removed this statue a long time ago. When you have the actual wording of the dedication speech and there's no doubt about the intent of a statue like this, it should be removed. I'm not saying everything the mob wants to pull down should be pulled down, but there are a fair number of really easy calls and this is one that should've been done decades ago.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

GannonFan wrote:With that said, millennial babying aside, UNC should've removed this statue a long time ago. When you have the actual wording of the dedication speech and there's no doubt about the intent of a statue like this, it should be removed. I'm not saying everything the mob wants to pull down should be pulled down, but there are a fair number of really easy calls and this is one that should've been done decades ago.
Agreed.

People have been asking for these statues to be taken down for decades, so I'm not sure how much more ignored discourse there can be. The conversation always shifts to how inappropriate and uncivilized the actions are rather than the continued inaction of the people in control of the situation.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
GannonFan wrote:With that said, millennial babying aside, UNC should've removed this statue a long time ago. When you have the actual wording of the dedication speech and there's no doubt about the intent of a statue like this, it should be removed. I'm not saying everything the mob wants to pull down should be pulled down, but there are a fair number of really easy calls and this is one that should've been done decades ago.
Agreed.

People have been asking for these statues to be taken down for decades, so I'm not sure how much more ignored discourse there can be. The conversation always shifts to how inappropriate and uncivilized the actions are rather than the continued inaction of the people in control of the situation.
Well, to take the other side, since it has been decades (since at least the 1960's) for this one particular statue to come down, the "people in control of the situation" have changed quite frequently since then. Blaming the folks in power today for the inaction of the past several decades and green-lighting the actions of protestors who did tear it down, protestors mind you that many have only been protesting this particular statue for a couple of weeks or maybe a year, is rather disingenuous.

Statues everywhere are being reassessed and removed practically everywhere in America in this current political climate, and most (although not all) justifiably. There are processes in place to do this that aren't mob-related, and those processes have been working. Letting mobs decide has never really been a historically reliable way to accomplish justice. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Agreed.

Where do you stop? Taking down the Washington Monument? How about the Capitol building that was partially built by slave labor?
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

ASUG8 wrote:
93henfan wrote:
These are scary times. The snowflakes, the Kardashian "me! me! me!" selfie culture, hurt feelings, every person is their own minority group.....

America is doomed. Hate to be a glass half empty Debbie Downer, but the current slope is too slippery.
We’re living in two diverging Americas, and that will require a reconciling at some point. I don’t have faith that a peaceful reconciliation can occur short of a secession/split or a true catastrophic event (world war, EMP, meteor, pandemic, real food/water shortage) that forces people to be real compatriots.

The more likely scenario is armed conflict.

Stay vigilant and prepared.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-