Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Campus Happenings

Post by dbackjon »

ASUG8 wrote:
93henfan wrote:
That’s the future we’re headed toward and curing it will be bloody, though necessary.
These are scary times. The snowflakes, the Kardashian "me! me! me!" selfie culture, hurt feelings, every person is their own minority group.....

America is doomed. Hate to be a glass half empty Debbie Downer, but the current slope is too slippery.

So putting up a statue to celebrate a war that was started to defend slavery, (60 years after the fact) and to intimidate blacks wasn't the key to dooming the US, but a bunch of Patriotic American Students, who recognize what the statue stands for (racism, terrorism) removing it dooms America?

America is stronger today with it gone. We don't need monuments celebrating racist traitors.
:thumb:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

dbackjon wrote:
ASUG8 wrote:
These are scary times. The snowflakes, the Kardashian "me! me! me!" selfie culture, hurt feelings, every person is their own minority group.....

America is doomed. Hate to be a glass half empty Debbie Downer, but the current slope is too slippery.

So putting up a statue to celebrate a war that was started to defend slavery, (60 years after the fact) and to intimidate blacks wasn't the key to dooming the US, but a bunch of Patriotic American Students, who recognize what the statue stands for (racism, terrorism) removing it dooms America?

America is stronger today with it gone. We don't need monuments celebrating racist traitors.
It isn't about the statue, Jon

Its looking the other way to righteous lawlessness

Today it is tearing down a statue you dont like. Tomorrow it might be something more distasteful to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

dbackjon wrote:
ASUG8 wrote:

There is a right way to go about getting rid of these. Mob rule and tearing it down is 3rd world, I would like to think we are better than that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

dbackjon wrote:
ASUG8 wrote:

Erasing history is 1984ish. Tearing down/blowing up monuments and historical artifacts is Tablibanish/ISISish.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Bisonfanatical
Level1
Level1

Re: RE: Re: Campus Happenings

Post by Bisonfanatical »

CID1990 wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

It isn't about the statue, Jon

Its looking the other way to righteous lawlessness

Today it is tearing down a statue you dont like. Tomorrow it might be something more distasteful to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly, and letting a mob determine what is "righteous" is an extremely scary concept indeed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

93henfan wrote: Erasing history is 1984ish. Tearing down/blowing up monuments and historical artifacts is Tablibanish/ISISish.
I agree.

The Right are way better at trolling.

Someone on the Left needs to pony up for a United Daughters of the Union and start building Sherman statues all over the South.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Bisonfanatical
Level1
Level1

Post by Bisonfanatical »

Ibanez wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: That's awesome. I hope more displays are toppled when action isn't being taken to remove them.
I'm not sure destruction of property is a peaceful assembly as outlined in our Constitution.....ahhh look at who I'm talking to you.

Laws are for white people....not the minorities or the ones with hurt feelings, right?
I most definately see the point you are making, and agree with it, but there are those people nowadays who are enjoying this lawlessness who will find a different type of playing field IF and WHEN the rule of law breaks down.

Sad thought though, hope it never happens.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
93henfan wrote: Erasing history is 1984ish. Tearing down/blowing up monuments and historical artifacts is Tablibanish/ISISish.
I agree.

Someone on the Left needs to pony up for a United Daughters of the Union and start building Sherman statues all over the South.
False equivalence

You’re like a fallacious logic “how to”, Jelly

If they erected Sherman statues all over the north then that would be equivalent
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

CID1990 wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:
I agree.

False equivalence

If they erected Sherman statues all over the north then that would be equivalent
Sherman statues would irritate the American Indian more than a Southerner, his idea was to kill all the Buffalo and starve Indians out.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

css75 wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
False equivalence

Sherman statues would irritate the American Indian more than a Southerner, his idea was to kill all the Buffalo and starve Indians out.

Have you met Citdog?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

UNI88 wrote:
css75 wrote:

Have you met Citdog?

:notworthy:

:lol:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

CID1990 wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:
I agree.

False equivalence

Ah. Thought we were reunified. My bad.

It's part of our history. The absence of monuments to Sherman in the South is whitewashing the defeat of the Southrons. :ohno:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Its obvious the liberal powers to be at UNC were complicit in the statue’s toppling. They couldn’t remove the statue by state law. So they found another way. How convenient that they allowed a bunch of anarchist students to surround the statue with large banners for reportedly about an hour, and not allow the campus police to see what the students were doing behind the banners until the statue was toppled. What elese would they have been doing behind the banners? Singing kumbya? All the campus police would have had to do was step in there and see that a handful of anarchists were trying to topple the statue. I don’t blame the individual police- they were obviously told to stand down, just like the campus cops in Berley were Feb last year when the ANTFA were allowed to run wild and cause 6 figures of vandalism & destruction on campus. Then then the liberal campus leadership feigned indignation at the very thing they were complocit in allowong happen. You can’t make this up..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

dbackjon wrote:
ASUG8 wrote:

No, the devolution of society to a mob mentality of destruction of public property as the norm is the issue. If that's a good thing in your eyes then I guess we're better today.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote:
ASUG8 wrote:

The Washington Monument and Jefferson Memorial should go as well?

That's where this is heading.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

The ? is will the statue be put back up, or will mob rule be allowed to rule the day?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BDKJMU wrote:The ? is will the statue be put back up, or will mob rule be allowed to rule the day?
Some may get in trouble, but laws are just words - and punishments are simply that. The foundation of an equal society is better in the long-term for civil unrest like this. These students understood the spirit of justice better than anyone involved with the ink and rules.

If that statue goes up, it will be taken down again. And expect more toppings in the future.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:The ? is will the statue be put back up, or will mob rule be allowed to rule the day?
Some may get in trouble, but laws are just words - and punishments are simply that. The foundation of an equal society is better in the long-term for civil unrest like this. These students understood the spirit of justice better than anyone involved with the ink and rules.

If that statue goes up, it will be taken down again. And expect more toppings in the future.
That bs sounds like something Trump would say. So much for democracy.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Laws can easily promote justice, equality, and freedom while masquerading behind alternative intentions, or even worse: malice. And then people stand behind them and say, "well that's the law."

IMHO, the spirit of justice, equality, and freedom trumps any written word. The actions they took tearing down the statue is the spirit of those ideals.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

∞∞∞ wrote:Laws can easily promote justice, equality, and freedom while masquerading behind alternative intentions, or even worse: malice. And then people stand behind them and say, "well that's the law."

IMHO, the spirit of justice, equality, and freedom trumps any written word. The actions they took tearing down the statue is the spirit of those ideals.
That's a ^ slippery one...
As much as I could care less about the situation in general
The Republic is nothing with the Rule of Law

:geek:

All hail the Republic
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: the spirit of justice
Unfortunately, that's always in the eye of the beholder. Many a heinous crime has been perpetrated using the "spirit of justice" to circumvent actual law.

And seriously, they took down a statue on an isolated campus that few people would even know anything about had it not been toppled (I had never heard of this statue until this event). In the grand scheme of life, this is small potatoes. No need to get all teary-eyed with "the spirit of justice" odes. We already know you're a millennial, no need to be overly dramatic and prove that. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Chizzang wrote: The Republic is nothing with the Rule of Law
What is it without the Rule of Law?
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Chizzang wrote: The Republic is nothing with the Rule of Law
What is it without the Rule of Law?
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

UNI88 wrote:
css75 wrote:

Have you met Citdog?
No

css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

∞∞∞ wrote:

Is this right? Do you want a civilized society or mob rule?