Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: Campus Happenings

Post by Ivytalk »

CitadelGrad wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Is that legal? Sure, Harvard's private and no one has to go there, but that's a pretty far reaching imposition on individual liberty. How do you enforce this? What if you have a regular group of friends who are classmates at Harvard and you routinely get together with just them to hang out? How many times do you need to hang out together to trigger a violation? Do you need to bring in a token outsider from time to time to avoid the violation?
Harvard isn't private. I think there is only only college/university in the country that is truly private, and it isn't Harvard. This is a clear violation of freedom of association, and I hope Harvard gets its ass sued off.
Hillsdale College is the only private school I know of that doesn't take federal money. It's also the only College my wife and I support financially. I gave up on Harvard years ago. :ohno:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Not really a campus happening, but seems like the place to ask this. Do you see anything strange about the way Maryland does GPA's...

Grade Quality Points Per Unit
A+ 4.0
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7
F 0.0
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:Not really a campus happening, but seems like the place to ask this. Do you see anything strange about the way Maryland does GPA's...

A+ 4.0
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7
F 0.0
What's higher than a 4.0?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

89Hen wrote:Not really a campus happening, but seems like the place to ask this. Do you see anything strange about the way Maryland does GPA's...

A+ 4.0
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7
F 0.0
No. Looks pretty standard to me.

What am I missing?
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote:What's higher than a 4.0?
Why give A+ if they don't carry any more weight, even though B+, C+ and D+ do? Jr finished his first year with a 3.89 without getting a single B and having more A+ credits than A- credits. If another student got all B's but had more B+ than B-, their GPA would be over a 3.0.

Just seems silly that he doesn't have a 4.0. As most of us know, grades in college don't really mean much unless you're going for a specific advanced degree or job, but a 4.0 really stands out. Anything less doesn't have the same impact.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

A and A+ being 4.0 isn't unique to Maryland. Jr. and Sr. Hen should be pretty happy with a 3.89 GPA. :clap:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote:
Ibanez wrote:What's higher than a 4.0?
Why give A+ if they don't carry any more weight, even though B+, C+ and D+ do? Jr finished his first year with a 3.89 without getting a single B and having more A+ credits than A- credits. If another student got all B's but had more B+ than B-, their GPA would be over a 3.0.

Just seems silly that he doesn't have a 4.0. As most of us know, grades in college don't really mean much unless you're going for a specific advanced degree or job, but a 4.0 really stands out. Anything less doesn't have the same impact.
I have seen grading systems that award a 4.3 for an A+. I agree that it makes no sense to give the grade if you don't get the brownie points. Harvard's system stopped at A no matter how "plusworthy" your work was.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote:A and A+ being 4.0 isn't unique to Maryland. Jr. and Sr. Hen should be pretty happy with a 3.89 GPA. :clap:
I'm very happy, believe me. And I wouldn't know if it was or wasn't unique... didn't see many A's in college. :oops:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Delaware didn't give extra weight to A+ when I was there either. Pretty standard for most. Some will do the 4.3 but I think most cap it at 4.0.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:Delaware didn't give extra weight to A+ when I was there either. Pretty standard for most. Some will do the 4.3 but I think most cap it at 4.0.
I just read that LSAC (Law School Admission Council) does give 4.3 for A+ even if your school doesn't.

This is all news to me because like I said, I spent my entire college career hoping for a 3.0 not a 4.0.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Delaware didn't give extra weight to A+ when I was there either. Pretty standard for most. Some will do the 4.3 but I think most cap it at 4.0.
I just read that LSAC (Law School Admission Council) does give 4.3 for A+ even if your school doesn't.

This is all news to me because like I said, I spent my entire college career hoping for a 3.0 not a 4.0.
I was a ChemE, one time I got a 12% on a test and was thrilled because I was above the average and was riding the curve. I considered graduating on-time in 4 years to be the accomplishment. :thumb:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: I just read that LSAC (Law School Admission Council) does give 4.3 for A+ even if your school doesn't.

I was a ChemE, one time I got a 12% on a test and was thrilled because I was above the average and was riding the curve. I considered graduating on-time in 4 years to be the accomplishment. :thumb:
I still have my Organic Chem notebook in my bedroom closet. Every time I look at it I think somebody else must have written it because barely any of it rings a bell. Mine are honestly this complex and neat...

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
I still have my Organic Chem notebook in my bedroom closet. Every time I look at it I think somebody else must have written it because barely any of it rings a bell. Mine are honestly this complex and neat...

Very complex... very neat.. almost JSOworthy! :nod:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: I just read that LSAC (Law School Admission Council) does give 4.3 for A+ even if your school doesn't.

When I graduated HS, my brother in law told me two things: 2.0 and Go & D is for Diploma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

I remember Chris Farley in Tommy Boy: "Not John Hancock...Herbie Hancock!" "D-plus! I PASSED!"
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

If you look REALLY closely, there is a 2-0 on one side of a USNA class ring

It means 2.0 and go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ivytalk wrote:
89Hen wrote: I still have my Organic Chem notebook in my bedroom closet. Every time I look at it I think somebody else must have written it because barely any of it rings a bell. Mine are honestly this complex and neat...

Very complex... very neat.. almost JSOworthy! :nod:
I guarantee you no notes I took were ever that neat. Also, any college notebook of mine would've including doodlings and drawings. Stuff like demon looking monsters with wings like you'd see in those CREEPY magazines. I daydreamed a lot in class. I was also high on pot pretty much throughout college. I'd have a couple of hits from a bong with my coffee before heading to school in the morning. Often rode my Schwinn Varsity 10 speed to school nicely buzzed. Then I carried a Dr. Grabow that I'd use to take hits between classes.

I did pass Organic Chemistry. Think I made a B+...which was OK as far as I was concerned. But I remember absolutely nothing about it.

Sigh. College was fun.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I saw that there was a bit of rioting and mayhem at GA Tech overnight. Apparently a gay white male student with long blonde hair wrote a suicide note, called 911, stated there was a crazy gay white male student with long blonde hair with guns and knives acting like a fool at his dorm. Cops show up, he confronts them and acts like a fool, and gets shot dead. The cops delivered exactly what he wanted.

Not sure what the ruckus is all about.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote:I saw that there was a bit of rioting and mayhem at GA Tech overnight. Apparently a gay white male student with long blonde hair wrote a suicide note, called 911, stated there was a crazy gay white male student with long blonde hair with guns and knives acting like a fool at his dorm. Cops show up, he confronts them and acts like a fool, and gets shot dead. The cops delivered exactly what he wanted.

I saw the video - yeah, the guy was in a mental breakdown. Not sure why the cops needed to shoot him in the chest, though. What happened to Tasers or other way to non-lethally apprehend a suspect, even one who's trying to commit suicide by cop? Cops don't do themselves any favors when they have incidents like this.
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

GannonFan wrote:

Sounds like a Pigford exam. Loved the guy - basically having your grandpa teach you a college course - but it was like teaching algebra to a kindergarten class for him...
Last edited by Rob Iola on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proletarians of the world, unite!
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

Ivytalk wrote:I remember Chris Farley in Tommy Boy: "Not John Hancock...Herbie Hancock!" "D-plus! I PASSED!"
I riffed from Tommy Boy at my son's VCU graduation - "Congratulations! And not to worry, lots of people take 7 years to graduate! Of course they're all doctors, but nobody reads the diploma that closely..."
Last edited by Rob Iola on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Proletarians of the world, unite!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote:Apparently a gay white male student
You mean gender non-binary.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

GannonFan wrote:
93henfan wrote:I saw that there was a bit of rioting and mayhem at GA Tech overnight. Apparently a gay white male student with long blonde hair wrote a suicide note, called 911, stated there was a crazy gay white male student with long blonde hair with guns and knives acting like a fool at his dorm. Cops show up, he confronts them and acts like a fool, and gets shot dead. The cops delivered exactly what he wanted.

I saw the video - yeah, the guy was in a mental breakdown. Not sure why the cops needed to shoot him in the chest, though. What happened to Tasers or other way to non-lethally apprehend a suspect, even one who's trying to commit suicide by cop? Cops don't do themselves any favors when they have incidents like this.
This x1000.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/colu ... ff29a.html

At William & Mary, the First Amendment’s best friend gets shouted down
Think it’s only at liberal enclaves like the University of California, Berkeley and Middlebury College that screeching anarchists are able to shut down campus speakers?

Think again.

This fascistlike behavior was on display recently in the unlikeliest of places: the College of William & Mary.

And the target of Williamsburg’s anti-speech types was not a conservative.

The press corps was mostly absent last week when the executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia was invited to speak at William & Mary on the topic of “Students and the First Amendment.”

According to an account in the student newspaper, The Flat Hat, and footage posted on the Black Lives Matter William & Mary Chapter’s Facebook page, the event was disrupted by demonstrators moments after the speaker was introduced.

No one had a chance to hear what this accomplished woman had to say. Welcome to academia, 2017-style.

The ACLU’s Claire Guthrie Gastanaga graduated from the University of Virginia law school, practiced law in Richmond, served as Virginia’s chief deputy attorney general, and represented a number of nonprofit organizations such as Equality Virginia, the Virginia Coalition for Latino Organizations and the Virginia Sexual and Domestic Violence Action Alliance.

Gastanaga has pushed for equal opportunities for women and minorities and worked to legalize gay marriage in Virginia.

In most places, she’d be a poster person for progressive causes.

But to a few at William & Mary, that wasn’t good enough to warrant a microphone. That simple fact that Virginia’s chapter of the ACLU supported the organizers of last summer’s Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville turned Gastanaga into a target of hate.
Yet no sooner had Gastanaga been introduced than protesters carrying signs and banners stood in front of her with placards.

Ironically, as they had filed down the aisles, Gastanaga had welcomed them.

“I like this,” she said, smiling from the lectern. “This is good … I appreciate it.”

You see, unlike the dopes who turned their backs on her and drowned her out, Gastanaga actually believes in free speech.

So she stood patiently as the protesters chanted their cliched slogans over and over.

“Blood on your hands.”

“Shame, shame, shame.”

“The oppressed are not impressed.”

“Liberalism is white supremacy.”

“Nazis don’t deserve free speech.”

“The revolution will not uphold the Constitution.”

The chanting went on for 20 minutes or so, according to The Flat Hat, before the band of anti-free speech bleaters was handed a microphone and the opportunity to read their statements.

They finished and resumed chanting.

The Flat Hat noted that the students didn’t present themselves as being part of any group, yet on its Facebook page, the college’s Black Lives Matter chapter took credit for silencing Gastanaga.

After about 40 minutes, the event was cancelled. Gastanaga stuck around, hoping to speak with intellectually curious members of the crowd.

The Flat Hat reported that even those students were surrounded by chanting demonstrators. One student who wanted to speak with Gastanaga told the newspaper that he was physically intimidated.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

CAA Flagship wrote:https://pilotonline.com/news/local/colu ... ff29a.html

At William & Mary, the First Amendment’s best friend gets shouted down
Think it’s only at liberal enclaves like the University of California, Berkeley and Middlebury College that screeching anarchists are able to shut down campus speakers?

Think again.

This fascistlike behavior was on display recently in the unlikeliest of places: the College of William & Mary.

And the target of Williamsburg’s anti-speech types was not a conservative.

The press corps was mostly absent last week when the executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia was invited to speak at William & Mary on the topic of “Students and the First Amendment.”

According to an account in the student newspaper, The Flat Hat, and footage posted on the Black Lives Matter William & Mary Chapter’s Facebook page, the event was disrupted by demonstrators moments after the speaker was introduced.

No one had a chance to hear what this accomplished woman had to say. Welcome to academia, 2017-style.

The ACLU’s Claire Guthrie Gastanaga graduated from the University of Virginia law school, practiced law in Richmond, served as Virginia’s chief deputy attorney general, and represented a number of nonprofit organizations such as Equality Virginia, the Virginia Coalition for Latino Organizations and the Virginia Sexual and Domestic Violence Action Alliance.

Gastanaga has pushed for equal opportunities for women and minorities and worked to legalize gay marriage in Virginia.

In most places, she’d be a poster person for progressive causes.

But to a few at William & Mary, that wasn’t good enough to warrant a microphone. That simple fact that Virginia’s chapter of the ACLU supported the organizers of last summer’s Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville turned Gastanaga into a target of hate.
Yet no sooner had Gastanaga been introduced than protesters carrying signs and banners stood in front of her with placards.

Ironically, as they had filed down the aisles, Gastanaga had welcomed them.

“I like this,” she said, smiling from the lectern. “This is good … I appreciate it.”

You see, unlike the dopes who turned their backs on her and drowned her out, Gastanaga actually believes in free speech.

So she stood patiently as the protesters chanted their cliched slogans over and over.

“Blood on your hands.”

“Shame, shame, shame.”

“The oppressed are not impressed.”

“Liberalism is white supremacy.”

“Nazis don’t deserve free speech.”

“The revolution will not uphold the Constitution.”

The chanting went on for 20 minutes or so, according to The Flat Hat, before the band of anti-free speech bleaters was handed a microphone and the opportunity to read their statements.

They finished and resumed chanting.

The Flat Hat noted that the students didn’t present themselves as being part of any group, yet on its Facebook page, the college’s Black Lives Matter chapter took credit for silencing Gastanaga.

After about 40 minutes, the event was cancelled. Gastanaga stuck around, hoping to speak with intellectually curious members of the crowd.

The Flat Hat reported that even those students were surrounded by chanting demonstrators. One student who wanted to speak with Gastanaga told the newspaper that he was physically intimidated.
We've come this far that now the ACLU is being banned from speaking. How lovely. :ohno: