Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Pwns »

Last gasp of air for a dying medium... :coffee:
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Yeah we would prefer to shoot our Mexicans without interference from Superman

:dunce:
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sp ... s_win.html

Oh, so now progressives are concerned people can lose their jobs for speaking out...
Celebrate Diversity.*
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote:http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sp ... s_win.html

Oh, so now progressives are concerned people can lose their jobs for speaking out...
And Trump conservatives are suddenly PC and want to stifle free speech. Strange times...

(I'm guessing a good chunk of progressives, if not the majority support the ability to speak out. Risk averse corporate America, idealistic college kids, and the White House are the new bastions of repressed speech.)
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

kalm wrote:
Pwns wrote:http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sp ... s_win.html

And Trump conservatives are suddenly PC and want to stifle free speech. Strange times...

(I'm guessing a good chunk of progressives, if not the majority support the ability to speak out. Risk averse corporate America, idealistic college kids, and the White House are the new bastions of repressed speech.)
I didn't find a whole lot of sympathy for James Damore on progressive blogs and comment sections.

If Damore was a young feminist woman bitching about "brogrammer" culture and got fired she'd be a martyr (not that I think anyone like that would get fired in the first place) and would be compared to Rosa Parks.
Celebrate Diversity.*
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote:
kalm wrote:

I didn't find a whole lot of sympathy for James Damore on progressive blogs and comment sections.

If Damore was a young feminist woman bitching about "brogrammer" culture she'd be a martyr (not that I think anyone like that would get fired in the first place).
Joe Rogan interviewed him for 3 hours last week. Young Turk's coverage was fair to Damore as well IIRC.

That was a terrible example of taking things out of context by the way and yes there are way too many "progressive" media sources that should no bettervthan to go all click baitey.

I highly recommend the Rogan interview. It's a great conversation.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

:rofl:

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher: Someone leaked 'very important' call with John Kelly concerning WikiLeaks
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/rep-d ... le/2634632
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

Celebrate Diversity.*
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Pennsylvania Company to Pay Record Fine for Illegally Hiring Immigrants
Asplundh Tree Expert pleads guilty for employing those who didn’t have authorization to work in the U.S.

A Pennsylvania tree-trimming company was ordered to pay $95 million in the largest fine against a company for hiring immigrants who didn’t have permission to work in the U.S., according to federal officials.

Asplundh Tree Expert of Willow Grove, Pa., pleaded guilty in federal court in Philadelphia on Thursday to illegally hiring the immigrants. Some of the immigrants were in the U.S. illegally, none had authorization to work in the country, according to court documents.

A federal judge ordered the company to pay $80 million and adhere to an Administrative Compliance Agreement from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE. The details of the agreement weren’t made public.

In a separate civil settlement, ICE said, the company agreed to pay $15 million related to its violation of immigration law.

ICE said Asplundh decentralized hiring so the company’s senior management could “remain willfully blind” as lower-level mangers hired and rehired workers they knew weren’t allowed to work in the U.S. The agency also said the lower-level managers knowingly accepted false or fake identification documents.

In a statement posted on the company’s website earlier this month, Chairman and CEO Scott Asplundh said the company took “immediate corrective action” after being told of the federal investigation in 2015. The company declined to comment further on Friday.

Policy changes, Mr. Asplundh said in the statement, included reviewing the identity of every employee using a photo ID system based on the face-recognition software used by ICE.

The company’s guilty plea and civil settlement were the result of a six-year investigation by ICE’s Homeland Security Investigations division.

Since 1986, employers have been required by federal immigration law to verify an employee’s legal right to work in the U.S. They also must maintain records of each worker’s employment verification and identification documents.

ICE routinely audits a business’s employment verification records and has levied tens of millions of dollars in fines since 2007. It is unclear what the largest fine was before this week’s order against Asplundh. However, in 2014, the latest figures available from the Department of Homeland Security, the government opened 2,022 workplace-enforcement cases and levied fines totalling more than $16 million."
https://www.wsj.com/articles/pennsylvan ... 1506713490
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

BDKJMU wrote:Pennsylvania Company to Pay Record Fine for Illegally Hiring Immigrants
Asplundh Tree Expert pleads guilty for employing those who didn’t have authorization to work in the U.S.

A Pennsylvania tree-trimming company was ordered to pay $95 million in the largest fine against a company for hiring immigrants who didn’t have permission to work in the U.S., according to federal officials.

Asplundh Tree Expert of Willow Grove, Pa., pleaded guilty in federal court in Philadelphia on Thursday to illegally hiring the immigrants. Some of the immigrants were in the U.S. illegally, none had authorization to work in the country, according to court documents.

A federal judge ordered the company to pay $80 million and adhere to an Administrative Compliance Agreement from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE. The details of the agreement weren’t made public.

In a separate civil settlement, ICE said, the company agreed to pay $15 million related to its violation of immigration law.

ICE said Asplundh decentralized hiring so the company’s senior management could “remain willfully blind” as lower-level mangers hired and rehired workers they knew weren’t allowed to work in the U.S. The agency also said the lower-level managers knowingly accepted false or fake identification documents.

In a statement posted on the company’s website earlier this month, Chairman and CEO Scott Asplundh said the company took “immediate corrective action” after being told of the federal investigation in 2015. The company declined to comment further on Friday.

Policy changes, Mr. Asplundh said in the statement, included reviewing the identity of every employee using a photo ID system based on the face-recognition software used by ICE.

The company’s guilty plea and civil settlement were the result of a six-year investigation by ICE’s Homeland Security Investigations division.

Since 1986, employers have been required by federal immigration law to verify an employee’s legal right to work in the U.S. They also must maintain records of each worker’s employment verification and identification documents.

ICE routinely audits a business’s employment verification records and has levied tens of millions of dollars in fines since 2007. It is unclear what the largest fine was before this week’s order against Asplundh. However, in 2014, the latest figures available from the Department of Homeland Security, the government opened 2,022 workplace-enforcement cases and levied fines totalling more than $16 million."
THIS is the wall.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Thousands of Muslims marched in London, condemning terrorism and ISIS

- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

Credit where it's due. Good for them. :thumb:
Celebrate Diversity.*
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Pwns wrote:Credit where it's due. Good for them. :thumb:
Yep, Just need the other 999,999,989, or so, to get on board. :nod:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Wow, London has more Muslims than I thought!
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Baldy wrote:
+1 on both posts...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Wow, London has more Muslims than I thought!
You should get out more. There are entire neighborhoods/suburbs that are majority Muslim in London. They've got a Muslim mayor.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:Wow, London has more Muslims than I thought!
You should get out more. There are entire neighborhoods/suburbs that are majority Muslim in London. They've got a Muslim mayor.
I believe jelly was trying to make a funny by correlating the 999,999,989 number I used as a comparison to the Muslin population of London.

He failed.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

CID1990 wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:Pennsylvania Company to Pay Record Fine for Illegally Hiring Immigrants

THIS is the wall.
Yup - no jobs, number of illegals go down.
:thumb:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Baldy wrote:

:nod:

There is a metric f*ckload of them...
Europe is pretty much being overrun by the hoards of them
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Muslims in London protesting ISIS is sectarian opposition- they are taking sides in the Sunni-Shia schism- NOT protesting ISIS because they condemn religious violence

That's why both sides of this argument get this consistently wrong - this is a thousand year civil war and ISIS is just the latest result of it

Take a poll of these London protesters and they will still fall within the margin of error for Muslims worldwide when asked what the penalty should be for things like apostasy or homosexuality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jjoey52
Level2
Level2

Post by Jjoey52 »

dbackjon wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
THIS is the wall.
Yup - no jobs, number of illegals go down.

Need more of these actions, if this was widely enforced ICE would have little to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote:Muslims in London protesting ISIS is sectarian opposition- they are taking sides in the Sunni-Shia schism- NOT protesting ISIS because they condemn religious violence

That's why both sides of this argument get this consistently wrong - this is a thousand year civil war and ISIS is just the latest result of it

Take a poll of these London protesters and they will still fall within the margin of error for Muslims worldwide when asked what the penalty should be for things like apostasy or homosexuality
Yup... ^
But you're just an asshole if you bring that up

The idea that you can be a faithful Muslim
and simultaneously tolerant of ideas that fall outside the Koran
does not exist in anything more than single digit percentages globally

That book is mind poison
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2737 ... ng-comment

Cam Newton in hot water because of some humorless cunt beat writer. :roll:
Celebrate Diversity.*
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Pwns wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2737 ... ng-comment

Cam Newton in hot water because of some humorless cunt beat writer. :roll:
The problem is allowing people who've never worn a jock strap, shoulder pads and a helmet to ask their stupid questions..Newton is 100% right..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.