Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Political discussions
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Skjellyfetti »

It did make progress in this department.

20,000,000 less people uninsured than in 2010 with essential benefits.

Virginia is a state that did not expand Medicaid. Many of those folks in Wise, VA would be better if they had. :coffee:

Obamacare ain't perfect... but, it's a hell of a lot better than the Republican alternative. :nod:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:It did make progress in this department.

20,000,000 less people uninsured than in 2010 with essential benefits.

Virginia is a state that did not expand Medicaid. Many of those folks in Wise, VA would be better if they had. :coffee:

Obamacare ain't perfect... but, it's a hell of a lot better than the Republican alternative. :nod:
Which alternative are you talking about?

The one that hasn't passed (and therefore can't be graded)

or the status quo ante ACA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

CID1990 wrote:

Well, there have been 4 or 5 iterations that have been graded. All of them are terrible.

And, if they pass something - it HAS to be scored by the CBO before it's passed under reconciliation. So, I'm not sure where you get the notion that if it hasn't passed yet... it can't be graded. :suspicious:
CID1990 wrote:or the status quo ante ACA?
I assume this would be the straight repeal that Republicans have been pushing since 2010.

32 million more uninsured. 100% increase in premiums. No essential benefit requirement. Shittier, more expensive healthcare. I'm sure it would be wonderful for Wise, VA. :lol:
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote:Image
That makes me blue. :(
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
mrklean
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern Uni.

Post by mrklean »

BDKJMU wrote:Of course that region voted overwhelmingly for Trump (Wise County where the article was written went 80% for Trump, 17% Clinton. 3 surrounding Va counties were 78%-82% Trump). Far southwestern VA is hardcore coal country. They used to vote almost exclusively donk. Wise Co 5 of 6 elections from 1976-1996 went donk:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wise_County,_Virginia
But these people have gotten the shaft for too long. Its ironic that you people living in one of the wealthiest areas of the country, northern Virginia, making policies screwing one of the poorest areas of the country, in the same state, yet worlds apart. Remember Obama before he was elected vowed to bankrupt coal companies, a promise he kept with an 8 year war on coal. 400 coal plants closed during the Obama admin.
http://instituteforenergyresearch.org/a ... stry-coal/
Sure the biggest hit to coal was not Obama, but the explosive rise in the production of cheap natural gas. But the Obama admin made it far worse than it would have been. That has absolutely killed the coal region. You're talking blue collar jobs that pay 60k-90k in a region where the median household income is around 35k, per capita half that.

Remember Clinton during the donk primary: "Because we're going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business, right?" No wonder she got 17% of the vote..

These people would still vote overwhelmingly Trump.
-Trump admin overturned Obama's so called "stream protection rule", enacted in the waning days of Obama's admin (Dec 19) which was just another hit to the coal industry.
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-enviro ... ining-rule

-Trump admin has also rolled backed Obama's 2015 "Waters of the US rule" which would have given the fed control over virtually every creek in the country..

-Trump admin asked the DC Circuit Court of Appeals to halt their deliberations on whether the Obama 'Clean Power Plan' to curb power plant carbon dioxide emissions 32 percent below their 2005 levels by 2030, was legally sound under the Clean Air Act, which the court did. It has been sent back to Trump's EPA to review and most likely quash. Major victory for coal.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/2 ... uit-237747

-Trump admin also lifted the Obama ban on new coal leasing on federal land.
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-enviro ... ing-freeze

BTW, the in the 1st 5 months of 2017, coal production up 19% over the 1st 5 months of last year...
60% of these folks could not pass a drug screen. This is why they can't get a job.

THIS IS FACT!!!!!!! :nod:
ImageImage
FROM DA DURTY SOUTH!
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Well, there have been 4 or 5 iterations that have been graded. All of them are terrible.

And, if they pass something - it HAS to be scored by the CBO before it's passed under reconciliation. So, I'm not sure where you get the notion that if it hasn't passed yet... it can't be graded. :suspicious:
I assume this would be the straight repeal that Republicans have been pushing since 2010.

32 million more uninsured. 100% increase in premiums. No essential benefit requirement. Shittier, more expensive healthcare. I'm sure it would be wonderful for Wise, VA. :lol:
I shouldn't have said "graded"- especially with you

I meant can't be measured by people who are actually using it- i.e.: actually in practice

For example, ACA outcomes are either exactly as predicted or not at all - depending on what side of the issue you're on

But in terms of what is going on with the ACA right now, the anecdotal reports don't jibe all that well with the CBO

Status quo ante would mean the day before the ACA went into effect

I'm just trying to figure out what you mean by alternatives ... because right now we are under the ACA and nothing else-

A huge tax on the middle class (and an increase in their "insurance" premiums and deductibles to pay for 20 million people (out of nearly 400 million) to have health insurance

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

:dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
There hasn't been anywhere close to 32 million that have gained coverage under Obamacare..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

You don't read good.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:

There hasn't been anywhere close to 32 million that have gained coverage under Obamacare..
UN-INSURED not INSURED
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:
UN-INSURED not INSURED
Yes. There hasn't been anywhere close to 32 million more INSURED under Obamacare. So the notion that a straight repeal with no replacement would lead to 32 million more UN-INSURED
is plain ludicrous.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Skjellyfetti wrote:You don't read good.
I read fine. You claimed that a straight repeal of Obamacare would lead to:
Skjellyfetti wrote: I assume this would be the straight repeal that Republicans have been pushing since 2010.

32 million more uninsured. 100% increase in premiums.
which is laughable.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Top to bottom, left to right. Group words together to make sentences. Take Tylenol for any headaches, Midol for any cramps.
Repealing ObamaCare without a replacement would leave 32 million more Americans without health insurance by 2026, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office said Wednesday.

The CBO also projected that premiums for individual policies would double over the same time period, while about half of all Americans would live in areas where no insurer would offer individual polices at all by 2020.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/07 ... -says.html
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
Repealing ObamaCare without a replacement would leave 32 million more Americans without health insurance by 2026, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office said Wednesday.

The CBO also projected that premiums for individual policies would double over the same time period, while about half of all Americans would live in areas where no insurer would offer individual polices at all by 2020.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/07 ... -says.html
Again only about 20 million have gained coverage under Obamacare. So it would be near impossible for 32 million to lose it by taking Obamacare away.

Also, remember the CBO in 2010 said by 2016 21 million would have signed up under the exchanges. The number tha gained through the exchanges: Closer to 10 million.

When the CBO said 23 million Forbes laid out a detailed analysis of CBOs flawed methodology, and said the # would be closer to 5 million.
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/ ... e#p1127669

But keep believing the CBO with their very flawed track record..32 million.. :rofl:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

BDKJMU wrote:
Again only about 20 million have gained coverage under Obamacare. So it would be near impossible for 32 million to lose it by taking Obamacare away.

Also, remember the CBO in 2010 said by 2016 21 million would have signed up under the exchanges. The number tha gained through the exchanges: Closer to 10 million.

When the CBO said 23 million Forbes laid out a detailed analysis of CBOs flawed methodology, and said the # would be closer to 5 million.

But keep believing the CBO with their very flawed track record..32 million.. :rofl:
Beyond all that, are you really "insured" if you are paying a high premium and have a high deductible?
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

CAA Flagship wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:

Beyond all that, are you really "insured" if you are paying a high premium and have a high deductible?
No, that's the income redistribution portion of Obamacare...you pay the high premiums, but never use it so those unable to pay can get their free stuff...

Problem is, the paying people are dropping like flies from the paying list because the tax penalty is less...

:coffee:

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CAA Flagship wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:

That's what Mrs. Ivy and I now have: high-priced catastrophic care, as a practical matter.

Thanks, Obama. :tothehand:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

Now here's a shocker...
France is shutting down its only rehab facility for radicalized individuals after failing to attract extremists, the government announced Friday.

The French government launched its first de-radicalization center in October for people who were “looking for a way out.” The facility has been empty since February and the interior ministry is now moving to close it.

“The experiment has not been conclusive,” the government said in a statement, according to The Local.
http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/29/franc ... ium=Social

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

I bet they "teach men not to rape" there.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Jjoey52
Level2
Level2

Post by Jjoey52 »

Col Hogan wrote:Now here's a shocker...
France is shutting down its only rehab facility for radicalized individuals after failing to attract extremists, the government announced Friday.

The French government launched its first de-radicalization center in October for people who were “looking for a way out.” The facility has been empty since February and the interior ministry is now moving to close it.

“The experiment has not been conclusive,” the government said in a statement, according to The Local.
http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/29/franc ... ium=Social

Having no one show up is pretty conclusive to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Col Hogan wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Beyond all that, are you really "insured" if you are paying a high premium and have a high deductible?
No, that's the income redistribution portion of Obamacare...you pay the high premiums, but never use it so those unable to pay can get their free stuff...

Problem is, the paying people are dropping like flies from the paying list because the tax penalty is less...

Isn't all insurance, some form of income redistribution? I've had car insurance since 1999. I can probably count on 1 hand the # of times i've used it.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote:I've had car insurance since 1999. I can probably count on 1 hand the # of times i've used it.
I would sure as hell hope so Crash.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Complaints about anti-semitism in Social Justice Warrior Cirlces. :lol:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/01/opin ... -hate.html

First they shamed the whites, and I said nothing because I've checked my privilege
Then they shamed the males, and I said nothing because I identify as gender non-binary
Then they shamed straights and I said nothing because I'm ashamed to be straight
Then they shamed jews and I cried anti semitism and was completely shocked and outraged.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

These things usually devour themselves

Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote:These things usually devour themselves
How can we accelerate that process..?

Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus