Political discussions
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by JohnStOnge »

On Assange: I am not sure, but I have been under the impression that Wikileaks hacks into other people's accounts. To me that's not journalism. To me, if a journalist breaks into somebody's office and photographs files then reports on what is in those files they broke the law by breaking into somebody's office to steal information. And that's what somebody is doing when someone breaks into an electronic account of any kind. People that break into other people's electronic accounts are the worst and the book should be thrown at them when they are caught.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I'm with CID here. Maybe a slap on the wrist but he doesn't deserve the book thrown at him.

Now if he sexually assaulted those Swedes, that's a separate matter.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

∞∞∞ wrote:I'm with CID here. Maybe a slap on the wrist but he doesn't deserve the book thrown at him.

I dunno. To me people who hack other people's electronic accounts should pretty much be drawn and quartered when they are caught. Those people are the worst. Disgusting. The world would be a whole hell of a lot better without them.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Have to agree to disagree here. I agree that espionage is a stretch, but the little fvcker shouldn’t be allowed to skate. Nail him for hacking, and let his cell mate Bubba do his worst.
In the grand hierarchy of douchebags involved in this whole fiasco, I consider Assange to be the least onerous

Remember - the Assanges of the world have zero juice without the actual traitors- the Snowdens, the Mannings, the gov workers and staffers who leak classified to the NYT, etc etc

We already said “no biggie” to Manning for his rap album... now we’re going after his label distributor? Call me nonplussed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Assange is a nihilist. He improves nothing, destroys everything. I agree with you about Snowden and Manning, but Assange is a worthless piece of shyt who deserves the worst.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:I'm with CID here. Maybe a slap on the wrist but he doesn't deserve the book thrown at him.

I dunno. To me people who hack other people's electronic accounts should pretty much be drawn and quartered when they are caught. Those people are the worst. Disgusting. The world would be a whole hell of a lot better without them.
Your government does it on a daily basis.
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

BDKJMU wrote:Bibi wins! (And this probably deserves it own thread).
https://news.yahoo.com/king-bibi-perenn ... 54335.html

Great news, he is Trump’s biggest supporter internationally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

I’m fine with going after Assange for hacking. That is a cross-border crime and therefore applies wherever the hacked info or damage occurred.

But I do not know of anything Wikileaks hacked from the USG. He could be on the hook for conspiracy with Manning, but I’m not seeing much there.

Manning’s decision to be a traitor was the cause of this entire fiasco. Not Assange.

If we are going to go after Assange with hammers and tongs because he spread info that was given to him by a traitor, then somebody explain to me why we aren’t doing it with the NYT editorial board. It is the same thing.

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote:I’m fine with going after Assange for hacking. That is a cross-border crime and therefore applies wherever the hacked info or damage occurred.

But I do not know of anything Wikileaks hacked from the USG. He could be on the hook for conspiracy with Manning, but I’m not seeing much there.

Manning’s decision to be a traitor was the cause of this entire fiasco. Not Assange.

If we are going to go after Assange with hammers and tongs because he spread info that was given to him by a traitor, then somebody explain to me why we aren’t doing it with the NYT editorial board. It is the same thing.

That will be the thing and that's why it appears they are going after the idea that he either hacked it himself or he was complicit in the hacking. They know they can't win a court case on the simple dissemination of the material - freedom of the press, which is what keeps the NYT safe (and keeps any newspaper safe) is far too established to try it on those charges. They better be sure they can get the conviction, though, if they're going to bring him over here, or this will be a public relations fiasco.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Lots of people moving to Idaho last year.

Top inbound states
Idaho 72%
Arizona 67%
South Carolina 63%
Tennessee 62%
North Carolina 61%

Top outbound states
Illinois 69%
California 64%
New Jersey 63%
Pennsylvania 61%
Maryland 58%

http://www.northamerican.com/migration-map
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Winterborn wrote:Lots of people moving to Idaho last year.

Top inbound states
Idaho 72%
Arizona 67%
South Carolina 63%
Tennessee 62%
North Carolina 61%

Top outbound states
Illinois 69%
California 64%
New Jersey 63%
Pennsylvania 61%
Maryland 58%

It's just weird math because it was already such a small number. I mean, with 6.93 people coming in last year, you'd only need something close to another 6.93 people this year to get a big jump year to year. Funny math. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

GannonFan wrote:

Top inbound states
Idaho 72%
Arizona 67%
South Carolina 63%
Tennessee 62%
North Carolina 61%

Top outbound states
Illinois 69%
California 64%
New Jersey 63%
Pennsylvania 61%
Maryland 58%

It's just weird math because it was already such a small number. I mean, with 6.93 people coming in last year, you'd only need something close to another 6.93 people this year to get a big jump year to year. Funny math. :coffee:
Out of the 6.93 needed, over half of that is covered with the 4 people I know (cousins family and 2 friends) that moved there last year. Montana folks might need to watch out in case there is spill over.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Out of the 6.93 needed, over half of that is covered with the 4 people I know (cousins family and 2 friends) that moved there last year. Montana folks might need to watch out in case there is spill over.
Idaho is a wierd State. They spend little on transportation and education, and have a few culturally progressive resort towns surrounded by Mormons in the south and toothless hillbillies in the north.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote:
Winterborn wrote:
Idaho is a wierd State. They spend little on transportation and education, and have a few culturally progressive resort towns surrounded by Mormons in the south and toothless hillbillies in the north.
The two friends I know moved to Boise (he is an rehab doctor and his wife had a bakery here in Lakes Country), my cousins family moved to the toothless hillbillies area. They decided they had enough of Alaska and decided to move South.

Have been through the state a couple of times and I like the scenery, just didn't seem like there was much industry in the state.

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Top inbound states
Idaho 72%
Arizona 67%
South Carolina 63%
Tennessee 62%
North Carolina 61%

Top outbound states
Illinois 69%
California 64%
New Jersey 63%
Pennsylvania 61%
Maryland 58%

99.9% of those people going to SC are going to Charleston.

The place is a disaster and a traffic nightmare now

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote:
kalm wrote:
The two friends I know moved to Boise (he is an rehab doctor and his wife had a bakery here in Lakes Country), my cousins family moved to the toothless hillbillies area. They decided they had enough of Alaska and decided to move South.

Have been through the state a couple of times and I like the scenery, just didn't seem like there was much industry in the state.
I haven’t been to Boise in years but in all fairness I know it was on the upswing for quite some time with the tech industry. Very clean city with a low crime rate. Post Falls and CDA are also growing and adding industry. There is practically a zero inventory of homes in the Spokane - CDA metro area.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Winterborn wrote:
Top outbound states
Illinois 69%
California 64%
New Jersey 63%
Pennsylvania 61%
Maryland 58%

Meanwhile, in Delaware:

Population 1990 / 2000 / 2010 / Present (with growth% since 1990), per US Census:

Townsend 322 / 346 / 2,049 / 2,313 (718%)
Middletown 3,834 /6,161/18,871/20,876 (544%)
Millsboro 1,643 / 2,360 / 3,877 / 7,000 (426%)
Ocean View 606 / 1,006 / 1,882 / 2,076 (343%)
Dagsboro 398 / 519 / 805 / 878 (221%)
Smyrna 5,231 / 5,679 / 10,023 / 11,371 (217%)
Milton 1,417 / 1,657 / 2,576 / 2,879 (203%)
Georgetown 3,732 / 4,643 / 6,422 / 7,206 (193%)
Milford 6,040 / 6,732 / 9,559 / 10,979 (182%)
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

93henfan wrote:
Winterborn wrote:
Top outbound states
Illinois 69%
California 64%
New Jersey 63%
Pennsylvania 61%
Maryland 58%

Meanwhile, in Delaware:

Population 1990 / 2000 / 2010 / Present (with growth% since 1990), per US Census:

So it is like the Hotel California, people can check in but can't check out? :shock:

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Winterborn wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Meanwhile, in Delaware:

So it is like the Hotel California, people can check in but can't check out? :shock:
Yes, and then they get to the tax haven, bitch about the lack of infrastructure and services, and vote to raise the taxes, seize the guns, and make life tough for the farmers, all while making the tranquil beaches that drew them here into a bustling nightmare.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

93henfan wrote:
Winterborn wrote:

Yes, and then they get to the tax haven, bitch about the lack of infrastructure and services, and vote to raise the taxes, seize the guns, and make life tough for the farmers, all while making the tranquil beaches that drew them here into a bustling nightmare.
Almost sounds like you need a wall. :D

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote:
Winterborn wrote:

We are so fvcked.

Western Sussex hasn’t grown like the beach communities, because jobs are scarce and the schools suck. It may be just a matter of time. The gays have discovered Laurel, though.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ivytalk wrote:The gays have discovered Laurel, though.
You want that. They fixed the fuck out of Milford. They haven't seen a 1700s home they didn't want to restore downtown. The only thing is, I'm not sure the pink and purples are necessarily authentic to the colonial era, but who knows? I wasn't there.

Last edited by 93henfan on Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:The gays have discovered Laurel, though.
You want that. They fixed the **** out of Milford. They haven't seen a 1700s home they didn't want to restore downtown. The only thing is, I'm not sure the pink and purples are necessarily authentic to the colonial era, but who knows? I wasn't there.
The lesbians put window boxes all over Milton.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ivytalk wrote:
93henfan wrote:
You want that. They fixed the **** out of Milford. They haven't seen a 1700s home they didn't want to restore downtown. The only thing is, I'm not sure the pink and purples are necessarily authentic to the colonial era, but who knows? I wasn't there.
The lesbians put window boxes all over Milton.
Yeah, Milton is the fucking Portland of Delaware now. Rehoboth is the San Francisco.
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

Top inbound states
Idaho 72%
Arizona 67%
South Carolina 63%
Tennessee 62%
North Carolina 61%

Top outbound states
Illinois 69%
California 64%
New Jersey 63%
Pennsylvania 61%
Maryland 58%

All of the inbound states are red states with possible exception of NC, outbound all solid blue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk