Political discussions
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Ivytalk »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Please tell me you’re not an Episcopalian.

Otherwise, I shall have to abandon my cradle and credal faith in despair.

At the very least, you should embrace your husband’s Russian Orthodox heritage.
Episcopalian from the cradle. :thumb:

From a long line of Alabama Episcopalians. Grandfather was a rector in downtown Birmingham and took in the bloodied and battered during Bull Connor's rampages. :notworthy:

And, don't worry - you wouldn't be the first snowflake to leave for weak reasons. I'm sure the ACNA would love to have you.

I do split time between an Antiochian Orthodox Church and Episcopalian nowadays. I prefer a traditional liturgy and progressive theology - so, the Episcopal church is just right for me - but, I do love the Eastern liturgy and chanting... just not about to convert.
Well, aren’t you special! But I’ll bet you’ve never been a vestryman, a warden, or a diocesan convention delegate. I held all three of those positions before I turned 30.You’re too busy “chanting” and counting your SJW points to know the difference between Rite I and Rite II. :roll:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:

From a long line of Alabama Episcopalians. Grandfather was a rector in downtown Birmingham and took in the bloodied and battered during Bull Connor's rampages. :notworthy:

And, don't worry - you wouldn't be the first snowflake to leave for weak reasons. I'm sure the ACNA would love to have you.

I do split time between an Antiochian Orthodox Church and Episcopalian nowadays. I prefer a traditional liturgy and progressive theology - so, the Episcopal church is just right for me - but, I do love the Eastern liturgy and chanting... just not about to convert.
Well, aren’t you special! But I’ll bet you’ve never been a vestryman, a warden, or a diocesan convention delegate. I held all three of those positions before I turned 30.You’re too busy “chanting” and counting your SJW points to know the difference between Rite I and Rite II. :roll:
Judging someone for their sacrifice and commitment to faith? You're better than that, Ivy...:ohno:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:

JoltinJoe just found his soulmate...

:mrgreen:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Well, aren’t you special! But I’ll bet you’ve never been a vestryman, a warden, or a diocesan convention delegate. I held all three of those positions before I turned 30.You’re too busy “chanting” and counting your SJW points to know the difference between Rite I and Rite II. :roll:
Judging someone for their sacrifice and commitment to faith? You're better than that, Ivy...:ohno:
Come off it, Klam. Sacrifice? All he did was try to score cheap political points :roll:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote:
kalm wrote:
Come off it, Klam. Sacrifice? All he did was try to score cheap political points :roll:
Isn't that what we do around here?

:D

There's an Episcopal church 3 blocks away, I've been thinking of walking down there one day and checking out a service. It's a small church and it's in walking distance. Maybe i'll trot on down next weekend.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Ibanez wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Come off it, Klam. Sacrifice? All he did was try to score cheap political points :roll:
Isn't that what we do around here?

There's an Episcopal church 3 blocks away, I've been thinking of walking down there one day and checking out a service. It's a small church and it's in walking distance. Maybe i'll trot on down next weekend.
Fair point, Ibanez! I encourage you to try your local Episcopal church. Catholicism without the guilt, as some have put it! :nod:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ivytalk wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Isn't that what we do around here?

Fair point, Ibanez! I encourage you to try your local Episcopal church. Catholicism without the guilt, as some have put it! :nod:
Catholicism-lite.
Similar to wanting a rural lifestyle and choosing Slower Delaware.

:fuel:

:tiptoe:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Fair point, Ibanez! I encourage you to try your local Episcopal church. Catholicism without the guilt, as some have put it! :nod:
Catholicism-lite.
Similar to wanting a rural lifestyle and choosing Slower Delaware.

:fuel:

:tiptoe:
Hey, I got the rural lifestyle! It’s like Cumberland County NJ, but with better grammar and lower taxes! :thumb:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote:
kalm wrote:
As a CS elder statesman, I expect better from you. :ohno:

You’re no John Shelby Spong! :butt:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Come off it, Klam. Sacrifice? All he did was try to score cheap political points :roll:
As a CS elder statesman, I expect better from you. :ohno:

You’re no John Shelby Spong! :butt:
And you’re no James Pike. :tothehand: :jack: :finger:

But you could pass for Robert DeWitt in the dusk with the light behind you... 8-)
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Ibanez wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Well, aren’t you special! But I’ll bet you’ve never been a vestryman, a warden, or a diocesan convention delegate. I held all three of those positions before I turned 30.You’re too busy “chanting” and counting your SJW points to know the difference between Rite I and Rite II. :roll:

Naw, JJ sees me as the Antichrist. Heck, we have women priests (some of whom aren’t lesbians), and we even allow non-Episcopalians to take communion. The mackerel snappers can’t deal with that. 8-)

:stir: :fuel: :poke:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote:
Ibanez wrote:

Naw, JJ sees me as the Antichrist. Heck, we have women priests (some of whom aren’t lesbians), and we even allow non-Episcopalians to take communion. The mackerel snappers can’t deal with that. 8-)

:lol: :lol: I haven't heard that one.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Ivytalk wrote:You’re too busy “chanting” and counting your SJW points to know the difference between Rite I and Rite II. :roll:
I prefer Rite I and the 1923 BCP. And, I'm disappointed their going to be doing another revision. As I said - the more traditional the liturgy the better, imo. :thumb:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Ibanez wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Naw, JJ sees me as the Antichrist. Heck, we have women priests (some of whom aren’t lesbians), and we even allow non-Episcopalians to take communion. The mackerel snappers can’t deal with that. 8-)

:lol: :lol: I haven't heard that one.
How can you have been raised Catholic and not heard that one?
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:You’re too busy “chanting” and counting your SJW points to know the difference between Rite I and Rite II. :roll:
I prefer Rite I and the 1923 BCP. And, I'm disappointed their going to be doing another revision. As I said - the more traditional the liturgy the better, imo. :thumb:
That’s a good thing. Traditional liturgies are good! :thumb: But I think the BCP came out in ‘28. Double-check me on that.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

HI54UNI wrote:
Ibanez wrote: :lol: :lol: I haven't heard that one.
I haven't. Maybe in the south they were more respectful. :lol:

The Episcopalian school (our rival) would hurl fish at us on Fridays and call us " fish-eaters." I guess they weren't creative.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Ibanez wrote:
HI54UNI wrote:
I haven't. Maybe in the south they were more respectful. :lol:

The Episcopalian school (our rival) would hurl fish at us on Fridays and call us " fish-eaters." I guess they weren't creative.
I never got fish thrown at me but was told that Catholics were wrong because we worshiped Mary.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

HI54UNI wrote:
Ibanez wrote: :lol: :lol: I haven't heard that one.
I'm a lifelong Catholic and I literally just looked up what that was and why someone would shout that at a Catholic and now I know. Hard to get worked up about that slur.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

HI54UNI wrote:
Ibanez wrote: I haven't. Maybe in the south they were more respectful. :lol:

I never got fish thrown at me but was told that Catholics were wrong because we worshiped Mary.
Well, and the pope, that came up a lot too.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/markmeckle ... -genitals/

I've always wondered what goes on at Social Justice HQ when stories like this come out:

*BEEEEEEP! BEEEEEEP!*

SJW #1: We've got a transphobic bigot refusing service to a trans person!

SJW #2: Deploy the social media outrage squad, assemble a protest team at the business site, and alert Huff Po and Salon!

SJW #1: Right away!

"BEEEEEEP! BEEEEEP*

SJW #2: Now what is it?!

SJW #1: Islamophobia alert! The person who refused service is a Muslim woman!

SJW2 #2: Shit! Log on to our twitter account and post some meme about solidarity between muslims and transgender people and how real Islam is a pro-LGBT religion

SJW #1: I'm on it!
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

kalm wrote:Cougar chases. The bikers stop to challenge and make noise (what you’re supposed to do with cougars). Cougar rag dolls one by the head. The second guy runs for it and the cougar takes him down and kills him.

http://komonews.com/news/local/crews-re ... north-bend

As the saying goes, you don’t have to outrun the cougar, but just one person.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

css75 wrote:
kalm wrote:Cougar chases. The bikers stop to challenge and make noise (what you’re supposed to do with cougars). Cougar rag dolls one by the head. The second guy runs for it and the cougar takes him down and kills him.

http://komonews.com/news/local/crews-re ... north-bend
As the saying goes, you don’t have to outrun the cougar, but just one person.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Maybe it's just me, but isn't it kind of a dick move to "ride for help" while your buddy is getting mauled to death? :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Pwns wrote:Earlier this month, a male-to-female transgender filed a $50,000 human rights complaint after a Muslim woman refused to perform a Brazilian wax on his genitals. …

“She never once asked for a leg wax [from] us,” Max Wax manager, president and CEO Jason Carruthers told PJ Media. “She said, ‘Women have penises and women have balls and if your staff is not comfortable they can look for another job.’”
phpBB [video]
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

DRAIN THE SW....

Wait, what? Cut an entire DoD agency?

Plug the swamp, plug the swamp!!
———
This is where the GOP just shoots itself in the foot. Every other part of the Federal Gubmint outside DoD utilizes the quite robust GSA IT Schedule 70. There’s no practical need for DoD to have a parallel acquisition system for IT. Worried about DoD-specific security concerns? Hello NSA. They’re right next door on Ft Meade.

As a guy who worked for DISA for five years in acquisition, I can tell you first-hand that they are redundant.

Complete horseshit:
The White House doesn’t like the idea of shuttering the Defense Information Systems Agency and moving Pentagon IT acquisition services to other Defense Department components, as was proposed in the House version of the fiscal 2019 authorization bill for the military.

In a Statement of Administration Policy on the 2019 National Defense Authorization Act issued by the Executive Office of the President on Tuesday evening, the White House pledged its support for keeping DISA as DOD’s centralized IT acquisition arm. Closing it and transferring its responsibilities elsewhere in the department, the document says, would “increase the cost of acquiring information technology, weaken the Department’s ability to secure its cyber networks, and inhibit DISA’s mission to provide seamless communication to warfighters and senior leaders.”
https://www.fedscoop.com/white-house-op ... edi-cloud/
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

http://thehill.com/opinion/criminal-jus ... to-chicago
I implore you to use your powers to suspend the dated Posse Comitatus Act, which unfairly limits your ability to use domestic militarization to respond to crises, and send in the resources necessary to stem the violence overrunning Chicago. Let me explain why this measure is necessary, starting with my story.

I am a black college professor who came to this country as a legal immigrant from Jamaica 32 years ago with $120 in my pocket. I worked for a year to save enough money for one semester of college, and for four years worked up to 45 hours per week while going to school full time. I graduated magna cum laude and then earned a scholarship to pursue a doctorate in philosophy. Not once did I believe that the state or America owed me anything except a chance to earn a living and pay my way as I journeyed through life.