Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Political discussions
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Col Hogan »

- A group of North Korean cheerleaders were briefly wowed by the apparent, sudden arrival of their leader, Kim Jong Un, at a Winter Olympics ice hockey game on Wednesday.

Some cheerleaders immediately averted their gaze as the impersonator, who later only identified himself as Howard, smiled and waved to crowds who came to watch a unified Korean team play Japan at the Pyeongchang Games.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1FY1ID
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Col Hogan wrote:Image
- A group of North Korean cheerleaders were briefly wowed by the apparent, sudden arrival of their leader, Kim Jong Un, at a Winter Olympics ice hockey game on Wednesday.

Some cheerleaders immediately averted their gaze as the impersonator, who later only identified himself as Howard, smiled and waved to crowds who came to watch a unified Korean team play Japan at the Pyeongchang Games.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1FY1ID
Good luck to those cheerleaders who "stifled a laugh"

Don't try to escape your fate by defecting though - the South Korean security services don't want any of you escaping this week during the charade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

I would be all for this. :thumb:

House approves daylight-saving time year-round

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (NSF) - The Florida House on Wednesday overwhelmingly approved a proposal aimed at observing daylight-saving time year-round in the state.

House members voted 103-11 to support the measure (HB 1013), filed by Rep. Jeanette Nunez, R-Miami, and Rep. Heather Fitzenhagen, R-Fort Myers.

Fitzenhagen said moving to daylight-saving time could help the tourism industry, as people would be able to stay out later in the sunlight. A similar bill (SB 858) also is moving through the Senate.

If approved by the Legislature, the proposal to shift to year-round daylight-saving time would depend on congressional approval. Daylight-saving time will start March 11 this year and end Nov. 4.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote:I would be all for this. :thumb:

House approves daylight-saving time year-round

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (NSF) - The Florida House on Wednesday overwhelmingly approved a proposal aimed at observing daylight-saving time year-round in the state.

House members voted 103-11 to support the measure (HB 1013), filed by Rep. Jeanette Nunez, R-Miami, and Rep. Heather Fitzenhagen, R-Fort Myers.

Fitzenhagen said moving to daylight-saving time could help the tourism industry, as people would be able to stay out later in the sunlight. A similar bill (SB 858) also is moving through the Senate.

If approved by the Legislature, the proposal to shift to year-round daylight-saving time would depend on congressional approval. Daylight-saving time will start March 11 this year and end Nov. 4.
I'm in favor of staying at one time setting as well - no need to go back and forth like we do. If we like daylight saving time (and I do), let's make this a national thing and just get 'er done.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote:
SunCoastBlueHen wrote:I would be all for this. :thumb:

I'm in favor of staying at one time setting as well - no need to go back and forth like we do. If we like daylight saving time (and I do), let's make this a national thing and just get 'er done.
Agreed- this should be something that left, right and center can come to agreement on. AZ and HI are the only 2 stages I believe who have common sense on this issue. I’m surprised there arent more, but common sense could be spreading:
https://qz.com/1111634/ditch-daylight-s ... dering-it/
Pick a time and stick with it..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:I'm in favor of staying at one time setting as well - no need to go back and forth like we do. If we like daylight saving time (and I do), let's make this a national thing and just get 'er done.
I hate it being dark at 5pm as much as the next guy but getting up in the dark sucks bawls.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

:shock: BTW, I may be in favor of banning these folks from being able to buy guns.

phpBB [video]
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

89Hen wrote: I hate it being dark at 5pm as much as the next guy but getting up in the dark sucks bawls.
89Hen wrote:Better to play, yes. Have you ever seen paintball on TV... it sucks giant donkey bawls.

I couldn't help notice that this is the second time in a bit over 24 hours you have talked about sucking "bawls". An outside of the misspelling of a very simple word (which could just be a upbringing thing), you may want to look into whatever your subconscious is telling you. Repressing certain feelings is not healthy for a person. :whistle:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Winterborn wrote:
89Hen wrote: I hate it being dark at 5pm as much as the next guy but getting up in the dark sucks bawls.
89Hen wrote:Better to play, yes. Have you ever seen paintball on TV... it sucks giant donkey bawls.

I couldn't help notice that this is the second time in a bit over 24 hours you have talked about sucking "bawls". An outside of the misspelling of a very simple word (which could just be a upbringing thing), you may want to look into whatever your subconscious is telling you. Repressing certain feelings is not healthy for a person. :whistle:
BDK thinks I should be put in an asylum.

css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

BDKJMU wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Agreed- this should be something that left, right and center can come to agreement on. AZ and HI are the only 2 stages I believe who have common sense on this issue. I’m surprised there arent more, but common sense could be spreading:
https://qz.com/1111634/ditch-daylight-s ... dering-it/
Pick a time and stick with it..

They are talking of doing this in Utah, which would be cool if they on mountain time, but the geniuses in our statehouse want to go to CST.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote:

Your post, correcting 89s grammar, contains a grammar error.

You’re welcome.

Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote:
Winterborn wrote:

You’re welcome.
FTR, bawls is not misspelled.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote:
Winterborn wrote:
I couldn't help notice that this is the second time in a bit over 24 hours you have talked about sucking "bawls". An outside of the misspelling of a very simple word (which could just be an upbringing thing), you may want to look into whatever your subconscious is telling you. Repressing certain feelings is not healthy for a person. :whistle:

You’re welcome.

I appreciate the correction. Grammar has always been a struggle of mine. I shall endeavor to live up to your example of being perfect. :pray: :D Pointing out 89's grammar error was more of me trying to help out a pillar of this forum deal with some latent desires he may be repressing, than being a grammar cop. Based on recent tragic events, I think we can all agree on that if we know a person that should seek help, we should help them out. It is in societies best interest that they get the counseling they need.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Your post, correcting 89s grammar, contains a grammar error.

You’re welcome.

I appreciate the correction. Grammar has always been a struggle of mine. I shall endeavor to live up to your example of being perfect. :pray: :D Pointing out 89's grammar error was more of me trying to help out a pillar of this forum deal with some latent desires he may be repressing, than being a grammar cop. Based on recent tragic events, I think we can all agree on that if we know a person that should seek help, we should help them out. It is in societies best interest that they get the counseling they need.
:roll:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Laughed a bit when I read this. I-phone users...... :laugh:
There’s been one hiccup since it opened last year: Apple employees keep smacking into the glass.
Some staff started to stick Post-It notes on the glass doors to mark their presence. However, the notes were removed because they detracted from the building’s design, the people said. They asked not to be identified discussing anything related to Apple. Another person familiar with the situation said there are other markings to identify the glass.
http://time.com/5162419/apple-new-headquarters-glass/

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:I'm in favor of staying at one time setting as well - no need to go back and forth like we do. If we like daylight saving time (and I do), let's make this a national thing and just get 'er done.
I hate it being dark at 5pm as much as the next guy but getting up in the dark sucks bawls.
I get up in the dark year round, as it's never light at 3am, so I would value the extra daylight after work in the winter.

DST year 'round. We all agree. It's settled.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote:
I get up in the dark year round, as it's never light at 3am, so I would value the extra daylight after work in the winter.

People that have to get up at 3am don't get a vote. They are obviously not of sound mind.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

89Hen wrote:
93henfan wrote:

People that have to get up at 3am don't get a vote. They are obviously not of sound mind.
I prefer to get it all over with and out of the office by 3pm. I'm more productive in the morning.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

93henfan wrote:
89Hen wrote: People that have to get up at 3am don't get a vote. They are obviously not of sound mind.
I prefer to get it all over with and out of the office by 3pm. I'm more productive in the morning.
This. Plus I have trouble staying awake after 8:00.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

kalm wrote:
93henfan wrote:
You, Ivy, and I keep the board rocking at 6am EST! :lol:

And Ivy is retired.

I think I may sleep until at least 6am when I retire.
Last edited by 93henfan on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Indeed. I've brought work home, convinced I can get it done after the kids are in bed and the dog is fed and I find myself falling asleep with the laptop open. That couch is just sleep inducing after a certain time of night. This getting old thing is real.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

GannonFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
Indeed. I've brought work home, convinced I can get it done after the kids are in bed and the dog is fed and I find myself falling asleep with the laptop open. That couch is just sleep inducing after a certain time of night. This getting old thing is real.
I can attest that it is that way at all times of the day. :nod:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

CAA Flagship wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
I can attest that it is that way at all times of the day. :nod:
You can sleep when you're dead Flaggy. Get out and experience all that St. Louis has to offer.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
93henfan wrote:
When I was still in the golf biz I used to fall asleep at dinner at people's houses. :nod: :oops:

There is zero point in me being to work before 9am now. There's not a whole lot I can do until regular business hours.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Grizalltheway wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: I can attest that it is that way at all times of the day. :nod:
You can sleep when you're dead Flaggy. Get out and experience all that St. Louis has to offer.
I already did. It took 17 minutes. :coffee: