houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: Colin Kaepernick

Post by houndawg »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Probably Red Hats stocking up on shoes to burn
Maybe they can get the Dixie Chicks to come to the bonfire and pick a few tunes...
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

89Hen wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:Prager U? Seriously?

What that woman did was tie herself up in the obvious paradox. She's talking about how wonderful it is that we live in a country where people are free to protest like that while at the same time saying we should get all in a wad when people protest like that.

Seriously, though: My brother is posting that Prager U crap on Facebook all the time. Just stop. It has no credibility. It's a flipping Rush Limbaugh type radio talk show host's propaganda effort.
Never heard of it before. I saw the video and agreed with the message. Sorry you are blinded by partisanship and can't listen to the message. :coffee:

I listened to it but she does the usual deliberate misconstruing. The players have been crystal clear about why they are taking a knee and it doesn't have anything to do with disrespecting the flag and has everything to do with blacks getting shot in the back. Sorry you're so blinded by partisanship that the message went way over your head.

Fact: the only time the flag gets disrespected at an NFL game is at halftime when they carry a giant flag horizontally - in direct violation of the Flag Code.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

houndawg wrote:
Nike without doubt spent beaucoup dinero researching this issue and they will come out way ahead.
Maybe. Too early to tell. I'm not a fan of polls and only believe in results (sales in this case), but there is this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 1b770a9375
Shortly after Nike's announcement, the consumer-research firm Morning Consult released a survey showing that Nike had indeed, as President Trump predicted, taken a reputation hit from its overtly political campaign. Interviews with 8,000 Americans showed a nearly 50 percent decline in Nike's favorability after announcing the Kaepernick ad campaign. Consumer interest in buying Nike products dropped by 10 percentage points.

But surprisingly, the endorsement wasn't really all that polarizing. Yes, the percentage of Republicans saying they were likely to buy Nike shoes fell from 51 percent to 28 percent, but support also dropped among Democrats, albeit only by five percentage points. Blacks and young people, two demographic groups that the Nike campaign presumably was intended to woo, also seem to have been turned off: The number of African Americans interested in buying Nike dropped from 64 percent to 61 percent, and 18- to 21-year-olds reported a decline of nearly 20 percentage points.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

SuperHornet wrote:Image
NADZ :lol: :lol:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

houndawg wrote:
89Hen wrote: Never heard of it before. I saw the video and agreed with the message. Sorry you are blinded by partisanship and can't listen to the message. :coffee:

I listened to it but she does the usual deliberate misconstruing. The players have been crystal clear about why they are taking a knee and it doesn't have anything to do with disrespecting the flag and has everything to do with blacks getting shot in the back. Sorry you're so blinded by partisanship that the message went way over your head.

Fact: the only time the flag gets disrespected at an NFL game is at halftime when they carry a giant flag horizontally - in direct violation of the Flag Code.
It took you that long to come up with that shitty response? :lol: :tothehand:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

https://www.nasdaq.com/article/colin-ka ... 0907-00585
Colin Kaepernick's "Just Do It" Campaign Boosts Nike Sales

(RTTNews.com) - Nike Inc.'s ( NKE ) decision to bring former NFL player Colin Kaepernick for its latest "Just Do It" campaign was widely criticized and was expected to negatively impact its sales. However, it seems that the controversy was overblown and the campaign has driven Nike' sales up.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CAA Flagship wrote: I'm not a fan of polls and only believe in results (sales in this case), but there is this:

I am a fan of polls but I don't think a poll like that can lend that much insight into what's going to happen with a company like Nike. That poll tells you about what people in the general US population think. Many of those people wouldn't buy Nike anyway. I don't think I've ever bought Nike. For sure I've never bought Nike shoes.

Also, the majority of Nike's sales revenue comes from outside the United States. People outside the United States don't care if NFL players take a knee during the national anthem. I didn't want to take too much time looking and I couldn't find a recent one but I found this 2015 breakdown on Nike Sales:

https://csimarket.com/stocks/segments_geo.php?code=NKE

I think it's likely that the majority of their customers outside of the United States can't stand Trump. And it's probably not a slim majority. If they take a "side" at all in this thing I think it likely they will side with the NFL players.
Could I ever be a star?

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: I'm not a fan of polls and only believe in results (sales in this case), but there is this:

I am a fan of polls but I don't think a poll like that can lend that much insight into what's going to happen with a company like Nike. That poll tells you about what people in the general US population think. Many of those people wouldn't buy Nike anyway. I don't think I've ever bought Nike. For sure I've never bought Nike shoes.

Also, the majority of Nike's sales revenue comes from outside the United States. People outside the United States don't care if NFL players take a knee during the national anthem. I didn't want to take too much time looking and I couldn't find a recent one but I found this 2015 breakdown on Nike Sales:

https://csimarket.com/stocks/segments_geo.php?code=NKE

I think it's likely that the majority of their customers outside of the United States can't stand Trump. And it's probably not a slim majority. If they take a "side" at all in this thing I think it likely they will side with the NFL players.
People outside of the US don't know Kaepernick either.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

houndawg wrote:
89Hen wrote: Never heard of it before. I saw the video and agreed with the message. Sorry you are blinded by partisanship and can't listen to the message. :coffee:

You’re right about the flag being routinely displayed improperly at football games, and the specific example you give isn’t the only one

But on your other point - it doesn’t matter

Kap and others have said why and what they are protesting and that’s fine- I see no reason to dispute what they are saying

But a protest like this is BY DESIGN controversial... if he was refusing to obey an NFL rule as his choice of protest then fewer people would be outraged. Or if he was wearing a black armband..

You can choose to protest in any way you want but you don’t get to choose how it is interpreted. And as sanctimonious as Kap’s defenders are about how he is being interpreted, let’s not forget who is complaining about personal public displays the most these days. like judicial aides flashing white power signs in confirmation hearings.... there’s a sh1t ton of manufactured outrage over stuff that would best be ignored and nobody is innocent

When I stand for the anthem the first thing that comes to my mind is not the military or the flag itself... but that’s my own personal belief. There are many people who do view rendering honors during the anthem as a tribute to our fallen, which is their prerogative, and viewing Kap’s protest as an affront to that is no less legitimate than the protest itself, particularly since we have all given ourselves a pass when it comes to being hair pulling drama queens
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

The reason Nike's sales are up is because they just sold a couple million of these in Philly after they were just released. I bought two pairs (one for youngest son who likes Eagles and one for me):

Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote:The reason Nike's sales are up is because they just sold a couple million of these in Philly after they were just released. I bought two pairs (one for youngest son who likes Eagles and one for me):

Is there any Eagles bling or apparel that you HAVEN’T purchased since February, 93?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ivytalk wrote: Is there any Eagles bling or apparel that you HAVEN’T purchased since February, 93?
It's just a matter of time though. :coffee:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Is there any Eagles bling or apparel that you HAVEN’T purchased since February, 93?
It's just a matter of time though. :coffee:
My toes aren’t shaped like that.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ivytalk wrote:
93henfan wrote:The reason Nike's sales are up is because they just sold a couple million of these in Philly after they were just released. I bought two pairs (one for youngest son who likes Eagles and one for me):

Is there any Eagles bling or apparel that you HAVEN’T purchased since February, 93?
Yes. I need more.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

93henfan wrote: My toes aren’t shaped like that.
Better?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Nate Boyer is an America hater and probably hates Tebow too...

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CAA Flagship wrote: People outside of the US don't know Kaepernick either.
They "know" Trump. And the overwhelming majority of them don't like him.
Could I ever be a star?

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: People outside of the US don't know Kaepernick either.
So Trump created this controversy?
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CAA Flagship wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
So Trump created this controversy?
You think?

BTW, Trump never gave a crap about the national anthem. This is just more of his bullshit.
Could I ever be a star?

mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: So Trump created this controversy?
You think?

BTW, Trump never gave a crap about the national anthem. This is just more of his bullshit.
Amen JSO!
Go Black Bears!
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: So Trump created this controversy?
You think?

Yup...
He's able to stir up the "those damned ungrateful negro's" crowd
of which I am reluctantly a side member of

:ohno:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
You think?

Yup...

so youre one of the 50,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Yup...

:lol:

I would describe my dissatisfaction with "Black America" as more ambient than avid
It's a long conversation that can be summed up in a few words

Question:
If blacks aren't succeeding in America because of all the disadvantages
Where are they succeeding in this world..?

Answer:
Nowhere...

So there's a planet wide (global) conspiracy against black folks..?
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
:lol:

I would describe my dissatisfaction with "Black America" as more ambient than avid
It's a long conversation that can be summed up in a few words

Question:
If blacks aren't succeeding in America because of all the disadvantages
Where are they succeeding in this world..?

Answer:
Nowhere...

So there's a planet wide (global) conspiracy against black folks..?
I can't stop this feeling
Deep inside of me......